Sequel to One Second After......One Year After

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SuperTroll

Sequel to One Second After......One Year After

Post by SuperTroll » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:49 am

doc66

Re: Sequel to One Second After......One Year After

Post by doc66 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:08 am

I'm not sure that Asheville would put up with that kind of take-over gobernment... They like to do their thing. That's why it's such a great town. :D
Last edited by doc66 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks SuperT for the link. I found the first book more plausible than the others I have read. I have shared my copy with at least a dozen friends who agree with me. Often, they found their sons and daughters reading the book when they set it down.

The author seemed to imagine more things that affect daily life and could come to pass. Reliance on comms to allay fears, logistics to deliver anything from anywhere, our increasing cerebral dependence on pills (not to mention real life-sustaining medicines), dependence on "officials," and my list could go on for some time. It also points to things that really matter, doesn't it? Family and friends, food and water, shelter and warmth, and the ability to justly defend life become the true priority.

That threat is real. Many people poke fun or shout "ineptitude" when they see a rival have their ballistic missile explode before it reaches space. Now you know.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Happy Go Lucky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, I'll add more as they come to me.....

Post by Happy Go Lucky » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:57 pm

The teaser which implies the newly reconstituted government (after one year of EMP blackout) not being as benevolent as would be hoped is interesting.

The book Alas Babylon -- which William Forstchen acknowledges as being an inspiration for his first book-- ends with the now pretty much stabilized community that is the center of that story being visited by representatives of the reviving federal government. After learning the new requirements to receive federal assistance, the community residents elect to remain where they are and remain independent. The book ends with the federal guys accepting this choice and leaving.

My own cynical nature always left me wondering how long that amicable arrangement would be allowed to last.

It seems Forstchen's new book is going to explore a potential scenario from that moment forward.
Although the residents of Forstchen's community at the end of One Second After are in nowhere near as self-sustaining a condition as the community in Alas Babylon.
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Barry Goldwater

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:06 pm

Happy Go Lucky wrote:The teaser which implies the newly reconstituted government (after one year of EMP blackout) not being as benevolent as would be hoped is interesting.

The book Alas Babylon -- which William Forstchen acknowledges as being an inspiration for his first book-- ends with the now pretty much stabilized community that is the center of that story being visited by representatives of the reviving federal government. After learning the new requirements to receive federal assistance, the community residents elect to remain where they are and remain independent. The book ends with the federal guys accepting this choice and leaving.

My own cynical nature always left me wondering how long that amicable arrangement would be allowed to last.

It seems Forstchen's new book is going to explore a potential scenario from that moment forward.
Although the residents of Forstchen's community at the end of One Second After are in nowhere near as self-sustaining a condition as the community in Alas Babylon.
How is Alas, Babylon? OSA just felt very hackneyed. Actually it reminded me a lot of Jerry Ahern's "The Survivalist" series; everything is over-the-top, the bad guys are all caricatures of Bad Guys [Satanist cannibal Nazi rapist bikers? Really?] and the good guys are all benevolent heroes making hard choices for everyone else and trying to make it like The Good Old Days. No nuance, ya know? Give me a good story where the good guys sometimes do bad things, or mess up, or realize they aren't the good guys this time around. Give me real people, and not cardboard cut-outs.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:01 am

"[Satanist cannibal Nazi rapist bikers? Really?]" - My thought was similar; I laughed a second time. Thanks.

I would recommend Alas, Babylon (A,B). Used copies are cheap. I think you will find similarities in banality. Both feature "cardboard cut-outs" and found success largely based on their timing. Once Second After (OSA), despite the caricatures and triteness, notwithstanding the retired field grade tobacco addicted widowed small rural town history professor who leads the final countdown battle against the "Satanist cannibal Nazi rapist bikers," offers a glimpse of resource management and governance to people that think that help would soon be on the way. In 2015, OSA could be pereived as A,B +50.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:14 pm

To be fair, I think there was more people putting their trust in the government when "Alas, Babylon" was written than when "One Second After" was written.
It can always get worse.

doc66

Post by doc66 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:38 pm

At least they weren't carrying a copy of Chairman Mao's "Little Red Book" as well as being SCNRB. I mean, I can handle SCNRB's but being commies as well? That's over the line.
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:53 pm

I was suprised that One Second After only sold 100,000 copies. It reached number 11 on the NYT best-seller list - and still seems to be selling fairly well six years after it came out. Will be interesting to see how well the sequel does.

http://www.blackmountainnews.com/story/ ... /74752384/

Davo

Post by Davo » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:46 pm

Halfway through this now. Not as engaging as the first, but still good.
Image Image

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:20 pm

I'll have to see if it is at the library. The first book was pretty good.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:02 pm

Doctorr Fabulous said: Give me a good story where the good guys sometimes do bad things, or mess up, or realize they aren't the good guys this time around. Give me real people, and not cardboard cut-outs.
Testify, brother.

airmandan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by airmandan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:43 am

Pretty good story. The one thing I notice more and more often though with these kind of stories is the whole government is trying to kill us/detain us vibe. In a real world event such as the one described I have a hard time imaging US troops doing the things described at times. Am I just being naive? When I was in it seemed the people that trusted the government the least were the troops.

Return to “Books”