Top Survival Books

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

McSquishin
Favorite Zombie Movies: Three way tie between 28 Days/Weeks Later, and Zombieland.

Top Survival Books

Post by McSquishin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:44 pm

I'm honestly surprised that a thread like this hasn't been created and stickied. Regardless, what are your favorite reads that focus on survival? Below are a couple of mine.

- The Newsflesh Trilogy by Mira Grant
- The Remaining series by D.J. Molles
Ne Desit Virtus

RapidM4
Favorite Zombie Movies: TWD
Romero

Re: Top Survival Books

Post by RapidM4 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:43 pm

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:03 pm

Tagged.
Boldly going nowhere

McSquishin
Favorite Zombie Movies: Three way tie between 28 Days/Weeks Later, and Zombieland.

Post by McSquishin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:23 pm

RapidM4 wrote:Survive by Les Stroud.

http://lesstroud.ca/publishing/survive
This has potential. Added to my book want list.
Zimmy wrote:Tagged.
Are you referring to Tagged: The Apocalypse by Joseph M Chiron?
Ne Desit Virtus

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Post by prepper7 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:27 pm

Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why - Gonzales, Laurence
Getting Out Alive: 13 Deadly Scenarios and How Others Survived - Williams, Scott B.
The Survivors Club: The Secrets and Science That Could Save Your Life - Sherwood, Ben
One Second After
Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years - (Kathy's thread on ZS)
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

dtwn92
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by dtwn92 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:22 am

I like Joe Nobody's books. Simple, although he does seem to talk down to people. I have "without rule of law" and "holding your ground"
Cody Lundin's "when all hell breaks loose" is a solid read and VERY thorough book.
SAS survival guide is pretty amazing and they have a very small guide to use as a carry around.

Holding your groud
Rule of Law
Hell Breaks loose
SAS handbook
View my FAK and My Tactical Facebook page.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
"Our problems are man-made therefore they may be solved by man and man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings."
John F. Kennedy

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:47 pm

For those who like the bushcraft type survival I can't recommend the McPherson books enough. Something interesting is Cody Lundin when he was a youngin still, learned some of his bushcraft from John McPherson while attending primitive skills conferences and he ended up writing the forward to the Ultimate Guide to Wilderness Living: Surviving with Nothing But Your Bare Hands and What You Find in the Woods

Primitive Wilderness Living & Survival Skills
Primitive Wilderness Skills, Applied & Advanced
Recently published - titled “Ultimate Guide To Wilderness Living”. The cover and the title has changed but the contents are almost exactly the same as “Primitive Wilderness Living & Survival Skills". A good book and a great buy - just the same contents presented in a different order.

You can find their books on Amazon or buy direct from them, http://www.prairiewolf.net/store/Store_ ... 5f515ea204

John and Gerri McPherson do an amazing job of teaching how to use the environment around you for the necessary items instead of relying on packing your gear in. Thus their series Naked into the Wilderness (not actually naked, just not bringing gear with you) describes how to go from nothing to comfortable. Their writing style is much more theory than specifics, allowing for varied regions to adapt for different plants and resources that fit the theory. I really like this and find that if you understand the why you use plant A for a task and what properties it has that makes it useful for this, it is a lot easier to adapt that to the available resources you have.

BTW there is also a video series from them called Naked Into the Wilderness, covering the material of the books in video format. Great way to get a little extra out of the books by seeing moving examples of what they discuss. There is a shop DVD button on the link I posted above, if interested in the videos.
Video titles are:
Brain Tan Buckskin (#1)
Primitive Fire & Cordage (#2)
The Primitive Bow & Arrow (#3)
"How-To" Construct the Asiatic Composit Bow (#GK)
Deer from Field to Freezer (#6)
Primitive Wilderness Skills, Applied (#NW)
Breakin' Rock - 1 (#9a)
Breakin' Rock - 2, Let's Make an Arrowhead (#9b)
Primitive Semi-Permanent Shelters (#10)

I would also highly recommend Ron Hood's videos too if your into video series.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:55 pm

McSquishin wrote:
RapidM4 wrote:Survive by Les Stroud.

http://lesstroud.ca/publishing/survive
This has potential. Added to my book want list.
Zimmy wrote:Tagged.
Are you referring to Tagged: The Apocalypse by Joseph M Chiron?
No, I just wanted to keep track of the thread. Thanks for another suggestion
Boldly going nowhere

poorboy

Post by poorboy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:09 pm

I just finished:

Stay Alive! Survival Skills You Need - by John D. McCann

and

98.6 Degrees, The Art of Keeping Your @$$ Alive! - by Cody Lundin

They're both pretty basic, but I'm still a greenhorn in the survival field. I enjoyed them.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:04 pm

Over on BCUSA a book was recently brought up. Camping & Wilderness Survival http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthrea ... s-Survival Which is a fairly good book of consolidated info from many other books and manuals. It has a lot of great pictures and diagrams to help understand the printed info. Now it is a little light in depth. It skims a lot of topics rather than go deep into just a few. But it's 350 pages does cover a lot of topics and is a great reference guide to get someone started, or to remind you of info already learned but not recently practiced.

It can be found at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Camping-Wildernes ... 0974082023 and many other sources.

BTW I do have a copy of this book, and it is decent. I I use it as reference quite often. I was lucky and actually got it for free after someone camped in my brother's backyard left all his preps when he left. I got first dibs on all the left gear as I was the one who cleaned up all the gear left at the camp site.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:21 pm

ineffableone wrote:Over on BCUSA a book was recently brought up. Camping & Wilderness Survival http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthrea ... s-Survival Which is a fairly good book of consolidated info from many other books and manuals. It has a lot of great pictures and diagrams to help understand the printed info. Now it is a little light in depth. It skims a lot of topics rather than go deep into just a few. But it's 350 pages does cover a lot of topics and is a great reference guide to get someone started, or to remind you of info already learned but not recently practiced.

It can be found at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Camping-Wildernes ... 0974082023 and many other sources.

BTW I do have a copy of this book, and it is decent. I I use it as reference quite often. I was lucky and actually got it for free after someone camped in my brother's backyard left all his preps when he left. I got first dibs on all the left gear as I was the one who cleaned up all the gear left at the camp site.
Looks like a one stop-shop...might have to check out!

Some of my faves include:

-98.6 degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive - Cody Lundin

-Air Force Survival Manual; Probably the most in depth survival manual you'd ever need...too advanced for beginners, but, just enough for the seasoned survivalist

-"Edible Wilds-Field Guide" US Army.

-"Build the ultimate Bug-Out Bag"-Creek Stewart; gives a simplistic approach for the new prepper...covers the basics with a cheap, no-non-sense approach to having the right gear at the right time.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:54 pm

This will be a very useful thread.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:58 am

"Survival" is a pretty big topic.

I'm particularly fond of the Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness For The Family by Aurther T Bradley. It covers the topic of preparing for emergencies as a head of household (or family member) very effectively.

I'm also very fond of the SAS Survival Handbook by John Wiseman. This book is much more about surviving outdoors.

I also love zombies and have read several different manuals on the topic. The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks is fantastic.

On my list of books to read are Survive by Les Stroud and the couple of books by Cody Lundin

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:47 am

Well I picked up a copy of "SAS Urban Survival Handbook" Book by John "Lofty" Wiseman".

I thought I had read a few favorable reviews of it here. I have to say I haven't read all of it yet, but some of the stuff was not very impressive. This is not a full review but I did find a few things right off the bat that I thought I would mention.

First off, being British he uses terms for things that I have know idea what they mean. I noticed this in some of his defensive driving and making your house secure sections.

The firearms and knifes section also suffers from his British viewpoint. He actually list a certain length knife that is "legal" to carry. Unfortunately this does not apply to the U.S. as every state and even every major city has it's own knife laws.

He also has a section on dog attacks and has two pages of different types of dogs shown. The problem here is 1;
I don't really need to know what breed of dog it is that is biting me, and 2:

He only list about 20 breeds. Many of the larger more aggressive breeds are not mentioned, yet he does give you a picture of the deadly Corgi. Really? A Corgi? If I get maimed by a Corgi I am lying and blaming it on a pitbull or at least a Jack Russell!

He also gives pictures and descriptions of dangerous sea creatures, like lemon sharks and giant Octopus. OK, yeah their dangerous but is there really anything I can do once the octopus has me in it's grip? Not really, so what's the point.

He does at least offer pictures of poisonous plants and snakes, so at least that information is useful.

I haven't gotten to the self defense/hand to hand combat section but from what I saw as I glanced thru it may at least be worth the price of the book.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:42 pm

tedbeau wrote:Well I picked up a copy of "SAS Urban Survival Handbook" Book by John "Lofty" Wiseman".

I thought I had read a few favorable reviews of it here. I have to say I haven't read all of it yet, but some of the stuff was not very impressive. This is not a full review but I did find a few things right off the bat that I thought I would mention.

You've formed your opinion on too little information. Read more and I think you'll appreciate it. If you disagree with a few pages of a 570 page book, I think that's pretty OK, right? It would be pretty unrealistic for you to expect a book written about so many different topics to also give you relevant and exact legal guidelines of knives for where you are in the world. Though, I will say that the book's information about blade length specifically noted as legal in the UK also matches what we have here in my state. Likewise, the fact that this book is by a British author means the firearms section may not be specifically written for people in another country somewhere in the world.

I don't know how you found the dog section and missed the 50+ pages of information on edible plants around the world (including arctic regions and seaweeds and algae) with several dozen color images and a separate section to help identify poisonous fungi. The book isn't specifically about plants, but that's a pretty wide range of help for identifying plants. It also has a great guide for how to identify if an unknown plant is edible. It's easy to find a book specifically about plants that has more detailed information, or information that is specific to the area within 100 miles of where you live. It's not easy to find a book that is as inclusive as this one is about so many different topics which is understandable by novices, and largely relevant to experts alike (if nothing else a reminder is always nice).

Why show images of dangerous creatures? Not every octopus you see is gigantic. Not every octopus you see is poisonous. For example, you looked at an image. The text that accompanied that image reads: "Blue Ringed Octopus, small, sometimes only fist sized, found off eastern Australia particularly around the great barrier reef, is greyish white with iridescent ring-like markings. Very poisonous, potentially lethal bite if trodden on or handled. Treat all tropical reef octopus with caution." For this specific subsection of dangerous animals, there is a paragraph saying that the following are poisonous to eat, this octopus is included in that section. If you had read instead of just looking at the picture, then posting a "this isn't a review, but here's my review" you would know that.

It is a great book. I hope you enjoy it when you do read it!

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:23 pm

Atlas Shrugged is a *must read* for any thinking survivalist in this looter-prone society.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:33 pm

Atlas Shrugged.

A survival book.

I...I can't even fathom.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:37 am

So while maybe not a "top survival book" I thought I would mention this one as it does not get mentioned much and is likely not even known of by most folks.

The Art of Shen Ku:
The First Intergalactic Artform of the Entire Universe

This is a book that should not be taken too seriously, and is written in a style that is quite reminiscent of stuff from Robert Anton Wilson or Church of the Subgenius (Bob Dobbs) stuff. That is in a pseudo eastern philosophy slightly anarchistic/revolutionary/hippie manual.

That said, there is some very interesting info in the book that you would not likely find in other survival manuals. In the health section it has things about acupuncture and acupressure for example. And even a page on diagnosing health problems through examination of fingernails.

There is some more practical standard style info also in the book. Like shelter building, knots, suggestions on survival kits, navigation info, etc. There is quite a varied collection of stuff in this book, and it bounces around from urban to rural survival in society as it is and more disaster type survival info. There is a sections that might be pretty useless and some that might be useful.

This isn't the sort of book I would recommend for a primary info source. This is more just a fun one to have on a coffee table to leaf through and giggle a bit. But it still does have some good info in it. And the comic styled art work in it is amazingly high quality. Worth the $12-$15 price just for the novelty of it and the smiles you can get from it if you already have a good library of survival books.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:33 am

I have to say, as primers for wilderness survival, I loved Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature and Survival for Children, and later on his Field Guide to Wilderness Survival. And How to Stay Alive in the Woods by Bradford Angier.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:48 am

Dogan wrote:I have to say, as primers for wilderness survival, I loved Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature and Survival for Children, and later on his Field Guide to Wilderness Survival. And How to Stay Alive in the Woods by Bradford Angier.
I have loved Tom Brown's books as well as Bradford Angier's books. My number one survival manual now is my notebook from my time at Tom Brown's Trackerschool.

An instructor of mine once said, and I tend to agree, that the first test of a survival manual is the trap section. If the traps look like they require five hands and an engineering degree, don't buy it.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:40 pm

Beowolf wrote: Atlas Shrugged.

A survival book.
I ... I can't even fathom.
Well, dude, you're obviously the happy recipient of a "publik skool" edge-a-macation, so I won't give you a headache by explaining further. It would hurt pretty bad too, you know, with your brain having to assimilate the various mega-concepts simultaneously.

:shock:

:lol:

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:38 pm

steppenwolf wrote:

A survival book.
Well, dude, you're obviously the happy recipient of a "publik skool" edge-a-macation, so I won't give you a headache by explaining further. It would hurt pretty bad too, you know, with your brain having to assimilate the various mega-concepts simultaneously.

I don't think attacking him personally is in any way useful to validate the book you like.

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:18 am

zero11010 wrote:
steppenwolf wrote:

A survival book.

I don't think attacking him personally is in any way useful to validate the book you like.
You're right of course. But looking at that pic was like getting hit in the face with a thousand words of smarm, so the urge to go ad hominem proved irresistible.

My bad. :gonk:

Return to “Books”