It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:48 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I've read both Patriots and Survivors, so when Founders came out I gave it a chance, largely due to inertia. Where Patriots read like a laundry list, I actually liked Survivors in comparison. Founders is somewhere in between the two. It doesn't have the list qualities of Patriots, nor does it have the story of Survivors. Founders supplies a bit of backstory for some of the characters in Patriots and wraps up some of the plot from Survivors, with all three books taking place over the same general period of time. Founders also spends quite a bit of time hopping backward and forward in time and from one group of folks to another. It wasn't a terrible book and I did find bits of it interesting. It seems to me that all three books could be edited into one volume and make a fairly solid single book. In comparison to some of the other books in the same vein, I give it a solid meh.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:40 am 

I actually liked all three. Rawles also wrote a non-fiction book on preparedness which wasn't bad either. I bought all four books from Audible as eBooks and listened to them during my morning drive to work. Entertaining altough I'm not terribly convinced that his scenario is all that realistic - especially the provisional government and UN part!

roscoe wrote:
.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:47 am 

Having never written a book, Ill not criticize Rawles efforts. But with that said I have certainly read better put together offerings. But the Field of "Collapse" style books does not give one much choice, so I read everyone that comes out. Patriots was a field manual written in fiction form , and was entertaining. But the Raging hard on over religion was something the book would have been far better with out.
Survivors felt like it should have been included into the patriots story line and not as a separate book, and I was not aware that founders was out so Ill be on my way to barnes and noble this afternoon to check it out.

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:11 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Founders goes after the religion bit even more heavily than the previous two. While not outright offended by it, there is a huge section of gratuitous religious discussion toward the beginning of the book that I finally ended up skimming the rest of the way through. I don't mind it so much if it's relevant to the story, but this was spread on a bit thick.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:09 pm 

I don't know how accurate the rest of the book was, but anything Rawles has to say about horses is flat idiocy. Isn't it in Patriots where he's got the guy riding a horse 50 miles a day through NM? Ain't gonna happen. The horse would drop dead from exhaustion & thirst first. For me, somebody that clueless doesn't have the cred to inform me of much else. Won't read another one.