Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:34 am

RedKnightt wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:43 am
As a child of the 80's I devoured the cheesy nuke war series that came out from Pinnacle, Zebra, Gold Eagle, etc:
As a fellow 80's kid, I fully agree. SOF, ASG, Threads, The Day After, War Games, Red Dawn; it was all Global Thermonuclear War w/da Rooskies. That's how it was back then. Some are just horrible, but you still read/watched them.

JacobClark86

Post by JacobClark86 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:43 am

Honeypot wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:24 am
Cockroach, I've never heard of those - interesting.
Please share your person top "older" SF apoc novels, so folks can get a better idea whether your tastes coincide with our own tastes. :)

I'm always eager to read new SF apoc stuff, but there's also a lot of crud out there.

To add to the list...
  • Yeah, "Lucifer's Hammer" is the #1 "procedural" novel of all time, IMO.
  • Anything by Heinlein, apoc or otherwise, should be on every SF fan's list.
  • Ditto (though note as intensely) for anything by John Wyndham. :)
  • I recently read the first book in the "Hunger Games" trilogy (at the recommendation of #1 daughter), and very much enjoyed it. It's a one day/sitting type book. :)
  • If you'd like to read an "interesting solution" to Margaret Atwood's thoroughly depressing "The Handmaid's Tale", check out Sheri Tepper's superb "Gate To Women's Country". It starts out almost as depressing, then there's "the twist". :) Women and Geeky men will particularly enjoy it. ;)
Thanks for sharing, I added this to the list

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:43 pm

I've seen "Lucifer's Hammer" mentioned on here, and I love it.
I'd also suggest "Footfall", or "Ringworld: A Novel", honestly anything by Larry Niven.

In the theme of cheesy 80's books "Swan Song" by Robert McCammon is good.

Bestial: Werewolf Apocalypse is surprisingly good for a book about a sudden outbreak of a virus that makes everyone turn into werewolves.

A few more good ones would be "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen is great, and "Dies the Fire: A Novel of Change" by S.M. Sterling is good as is most of the series, and if you can get past all the Wiccan crap in it, the story is solid.

I've seen "A Girl with all the Gifts" mentioned, which is excellent, and "The Boy on the Bridge", which is, to me, somewhere between it's ehhh to OK.

I did just finish reading "A Boy and his Dog at the End of the World" and thought it was excellent. It's about a world where something happened about a hundred years prior, where humans became unable to reproduce (except for a rare few), and the rare few move to the ends of the world to survive and learn from man's prior mistakes. When the kids dog is stolen from their home on an island near mainland Europe , due dogs have become rare as well, and as such worth their weight in gold, the kid steals his fathers boat and chases the thief all across the wastelands of Europe, etc to get it back.
Last edited by Brekar on Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:10 pm

Since I'm currently still furloughed I've got a lot of free time to read so I figured since I've just finished these 2 books I'd recommend them. I just finished "Tomorrow War" and "Tomorrow War: Serpent Road". Both of them are excellent books, easy to read and enjoy. My only issue with the book at all was really with the parts with the train, but that's honestly only because I work with trains for a living. I doubt anyone who didn't work with trains would even catch the discrepancies. It however, was not a big enough issue to make me not enjoy the book. Story line was great, but hopefully never comes to be. If you haven't read them, do so. Now on to Trilobyte, Five Roads to Texas, and whatever Stephen King I haven't read yet...
Last edited by Brekar on Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Brekar

Post by Brekar » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:46 pm

Trilobyte was good. A unique take on if robots were to take over the world. Honestly it is a more realistic take on if Skynet existed. I enjoyed every page of it. If there's going to be a second book, which I hope happens, I'll be in line to buy it...
Five Roads to Texas was also good. It's a single story written by five different writers in a seamless collaboration that follows 5 different groups as they struggle from day 1 of zombie outbreak as they try to make it to the promised land of Texas, where the military has set up a base to hold back the undead. It's a very good book, and I look forward to getting the next one...

Return to “Books”