It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lights Out
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:51 pm 

The military infrastructure in the US is nuke hardened - has been since the get-go.

I note that the US grid is struck by lightening 1000s of times a year - and it continues to work. Much of the hysteria over EMP is based on data from the 60s and in some case from the old Soviet and their crap grid.

There is many things worry about. Real things - hurricanes, tornadoes and flash floods to mention a few. On a scale of 1-100, an EMP strike is about 10,000 in likelihood. YMMV.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:30 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

This is a link to a great high level summary of the US power grid and various key aspects of it.

http://www.theenergycollective.com/aqgi ... em-15-maps

This image shows the various power regions in the US. Note Texas, Alaska and Hawaii are separate regions. These regions really have no net interconnectivity.

Edited to add:
Quote:
Finally, and most interestingly, this maps illustrates how there are actually three primary electric grids in the United States (called interconnections). The divide between the Eastern and Western interconnections make sense because of the geographic distances involved.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

Last edited by raptor on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:37 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

raptor wrote:

I'd be interested to see the populations contained in each of those areas as well

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:18 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

00dlez wrote:

I'd be interested to see the populations contained in each of those areas as well

Power plants are generally NIMBY things so they tend to be located in the boonies where possible and the power transmitted to demand areas and grids. So a better way to look at this is by power plant location.

This image is too large to post. It is the first map in my link.
http://www.theenergycollective.com/site ... 16/1_2.png

I have not read this book but it claims to be latest and greatest on the subject of EMP.
http://www.breitbart.com/national-secur ... h-america/

It is free on Kindle.
https://www.amazon.com/Pulse-Attack-Ant ... 993919537/

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:50 am 

00dlez wrote:
I'm pretty shocked that a thread like this has to be necro'd! Have really so few people around here read/audiobooked Lights Out or is it just stating the obvious and most around here just nod without much to discuss?

I listened​ to the audiobook on a road trip a few months ago and just recently went back to listen to the portion on Mormons and community preparation. To be honest I thought the section was a little weak compared to how he was building up to it, but I still found it interesting and conceptually relevant.

Do any of you have and thoughts or experience with large (and I mean large) community organizing? I wonder if it is even efficient to look to the Feds or the states to have emergency stockpiles... I think about US military infrastructure and everything it takes to ensure that our 1.5 million active personnel are supplied for disasters... Would we even have a chance at accomplishing a feat for every man woman and child or would giving much smaller segments (something like census block size) and letting them organize as they saw fit be a more reasonable goal...?

Obviously this is very much theoretical, I'm just curious what others thoughts might be

It's just another thing to prepare for. Disaster preparedness is only strong when prepared for multiple likely events. Storing large quantities of food in usable form for the entire US population would be hugely expensive and pointless. We are still digging up bomb shelters from the 50s loaded with canned goods and whatnot and there was never enough for even a small percentage of the population.

Mormon religious beliefs require that they prepare in certain ways that most people won't bother with and many can't afford.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”