Ruger Mini-14 Target Rifle.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jor-el

Ruger Mini-14 Target Rifle.

Post by jor-el » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:25 pm

This one.

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14Tar ... odels.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like this.

There's a variant with a Hogue plain style polymer stock but you get the idea.

Anyone have one? Is it as accurate as claimed? Was it worth the extra scratch?
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

mantis

Re: Ruger Mini-14 Target Rifle.

Post by mantis » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:30 pm

I looked at one of those when I bought my Mini a couple of years ago. The one I saw, had the same synthetic stock as the standard Mini that I ended up buying. The barrel is considerably thicker and heavier than the standard rifle but the rest is pretty much the same. The build in scope bases and included rings (both the standard and target models include them) are rock solid. The 580 series rifle that I ended up buying is acceptably accurate - I have no trouble shooting 2-3" groups at 100 yards with plain old American Eagle .223. I don't know how much more accurate the target model is but if it improves on that, it should be quite good.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

b.s.

Post by b.s. » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:01 pm

I used to go to the range with a guy that had one. we would compare groups and were often pretty close. Sub MOA accuracy. The difference however was in the ammo he fed his rifle and the bench rest he used. Where I would shoot AE223 he was shooting hand loads or target ammo. I also preferred a bipod which was often less stable than his lead sled.

Granted it could be the shooter.... but under the same conditions my AR was more accurate... just marginally... with standard ammo.

If you're a fan of the platform I think its a very nice shooter. I wish you could add a compensator to the barrel for faster follow up shots. It's also extremely heavy in the laminate stock.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:03 pm

jor-el wrote:This one.

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14Tar ... odels.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like this.

There's a variant with a Hogue plain style polymer stock but you get the idea.

Anyone have one? Is it as accurate as claimed? Was it worth the extra scratch?
I got the plain Hogue stock one. It is intended as a bench rest rifle. There are no iron sights and the Hogues stock needed a big cheek riser to put my eye in line with even the lowest mounted scope. It is very heavy, and very muzzle heavy, as you might imagine. I have not messed with the barrel weight. Even without adjusting the barrel weight, the rifle produces good accuracy off the bench - people who are better shots than I get better results, but yes the rifle is accurate.

Off hand, shooting it from the shoulder instead of from some kind of rest, I have difficulty holding it on target for very long. The weight makes it more accurate, but to some degree reduces practical accuracy, as I tire and the rifle starts to wobble much sooner than would a regular mini or AR. Some people have reported that the alllen screws used to hold the barrel weight in place will work themselves loose after awhile, and they recommend tuning the weight to your preferred load then locktiting the screws.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Murgatroy

Post by Murgatroy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:26 pm

If I am not mistaken the Target Minis are chambered in .223, not 5.56 like the regular Minis.

That is something to take into account. It will make a more accurate rifle, but it limits your ammo choices.
Yoda for President

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:36 pm

Murgatroy wrote:If I am not mistaken the Target Minis are chambered in .223, not 5.56 like the regular Minis.

That is something to take into account. It will make a more accurate rifle, but it limits your ammo choices.
You are not mistaken. Ruger says tighter chamber = 5.56 brass might have some extraction problems. Unlike regular mini-14s, which are safe for 5.56 or .223, Ruger recommends only .223 in the target model.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Murgatroy wrote:If I am not mistaken the Target Minis are chambered in .223, not 5.56 like the regular Minis.

Your ammo choices for precision shooting will be far more limited by the 1:9 twist on this than by any restriction to .223, to be honest.

Even if it were a 5.56 chamber (which is more of a leade issue than a safety issue anyway), the 1:9 twist means you cannot take advantage of loads with the heavier bullets that do well at longer ranges like the 77gr Sierra Match Kings used in the Mk262 ammo.

I would imagine that this would do well with the Black Hills 63gr open-tip match ammo, though, provided that Ruger has fixed the accuracy problems that plagued the Mini-14 line for the last 20 years.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

squinty

Post by squinty » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:41 pm

crypto wrote:

Your ammo choices for precision shooting will be far more limited by the 1:9 twist on this than by any restriction to .223, to be honest.

Even if it were a 5.56 chamber (which is more of a leade issue than a safety issue anyway), the 1:9 twist means you cannot take advantage of loads with the heavier bullets that do well at longer ranges like the 77gr Sierra Match Kings used in the Mk262 ammo.

I would imagine that this would do well with the Black Hills 63gr open-tip match ammo, though, provided that Ruger has fixed the accuracy problems that plagued the Mini-14 line for the last 20 years.
Same twist rate - thus same problem - as regular series mini-14.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”