my new survival carbine!

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

leystate
Favorite Zombie Movies: Welcome to zombie land

my new survival carbine!

Post by leystate » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:52 pm

here is my new toy! Remington 7600 cal 35 whelen with 18" barrel. I'm waiting for some 10 shots mags.

DUX BELLORUM

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Re: my new survival carbine!

Post by Caenus » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:38 pm

Nice. I'd think a 4x scope would be a better match for that cartridge though. Still cool.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:52 pm

Caenus wrote:Nice. I'd think a 4x scope would be a better match for that cartridge though. Still cool.
I agree.

Nice rifle. I had almost forgot that they made these in .35 Whelen. My oldest friend has a rebuilt Mauser in that cartridge and it's a real game big game stomper.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

txKingfisher
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, I am Legend, Shaun of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by txKingfisher » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:31 pm

I like it! :clap:
I agree on the point about a 4X scope.
Also I would refrain from relying on it as a survival rife with such an uncommon caliber.
TEAM GREENWIRE

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:49 pm

Treś Awesome!

Seriously though. That deserves a scope. Better to shoot buffalo from a distance.

shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Tres chic! I'd have one in 308 if it have good 10 rd mags.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

PackLemming
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later.

Post by PackLemming » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:38 pm

Id lose the sling dripping off the barrel. Its a pet peeve but an accident waiting to happen has already occurred.
"I was only following the cursory instruction of users."

hotlead

Post by hotlead » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:47 pm

I may be wrong, but I think France is one of those countries where you can't have arms chambered in military calibers as a civilian, hence the non-standard chambering. What may seem like a weird or uncommon cartridge to us in the States, is like .30-30 or .270 in Europe, not military standard, but very common as a civilian cartridge.

I dig it, it sure offers some big thumpin' in a quick package :!: I agree that a few 10 round mags would make it more user friendly.
"your 9mm might expand when it hits the target, but my .45 sure as hell won't shrink"- Arguing with my Brother about pistol calibers.

"You can never have too many guns, yo-yos, or crayons"- Mrs. Hotlead speaking to my Nephew.

"If you don't let your farts out, you'll get bad breath"- Talking to my Neice at a campfire

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Great rifle. I like the eotech on it. The whelen isn't really a distance cartridge anyway, but it's a great up close hunting cartridge. May as well put on a sight that's fast on target and great in low light.

If you're looking for some extra punch, try the Hornady Superformance ammo. I've run some through my 35 and it's got more pop than other factory ammo. Although standard loaded 35 whelen should be fine for about anything you'd hunt.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:11 pm

Regular Guy wrote:Tres chic! I'd have one in 308 if it have good 10 rd mags.
^^ This.

Great rifle, OP. Gotta love 10 rounds of thump and pain.

:clap:

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:30 am

Dawgboy wrote:Image
^^This.

What's the max effective range on that beast? It may do well with an ACOG...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:00 am

PackLemming wrote:Id lose the sling dripping off the barrel. Its a pet peeve but an accident waiting to happen has already occurred.
It's been a while since I owned a pump Remington. I seem to recall they make a sling attachment that screws to the front of the pump tube. It's not a magazine and would allow the barrel to free float. Can't imagine that sling swivel clamped on the barrel helping accuracy any.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:04 am

jor-el wrote:I seem to recall they make a sling attachment that screws to the front of the pump tube. It's not a magazine and would allow the barrel to free float. Can't imagine that sling swivel clamped on the barrel helping accuracy any.
^Truth. You could do that with the front and throw one of Noveske's QD Sockets onto the rear, and use it like a modern carbine.

Hey, if it works for a rifle from 1947...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:16 am

A sling that moves tighter or looser with every pump is a fucking pain in the arse, tried it.. didn't work for me.

This is my 7600P (in .308)... I've got a few 10rnd mags, haven't decided or put funds aside for an optic yet though.
I've actually got so many mags I'm looking at getting a custom bandoleer made, as I can't find any mag pouches that fit these mags nicely. Anyone point me to some factory made mag pouches before I shell out on a custom job?
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:09 am

Templar, any of these do the job? http://www.sordaustralia.com/home.php?cat=27

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:20 am

Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:Templar, any of these do the job? http://www.sordaustralia.com/home.php?cat=27

-
I've got two of the DA SR98 pouches, they just fit, and are less than ideal because the bungee straps are meant for a smaller magazine they are super tight and hard to slip off quickly. The .50cal would be huge, I'm making an assumption that the DSR (which is .338 IIRC) will also be to big if they're 10rnders or too small if theyre 5rnders, the SR25 ones would be too thin and tall, and the SR98 pouch with velcro is too small (ordered a couple and had to return them)
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:07 am

aus.templar wrote:
Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:Templar, any of these do the job? http://www.sordaustralia.com/home.php?cat=27

-
I've got two of the DA SR98 pouches, they just fit, and are less than ideal because the bungee straps are meant for a smaller magazine they are super tight and hard to slip off quickly. The .50cal would be huge, I'm making an assumption that the DSR (which is .338 IIRC) will also be to big if they're 10rnders or too small if theyre 5rnders, the SR25 ones would be too thin and tall, and the SR98 pouch with velcro is too small (ordered a couple and had to return them)
Heartbreak!

Might have to give Kitbag a call about making you some custom ones, mate.

OP, nice 7600, .35 Whelen - Wow! 8-)

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:35 am

love it, i have been looking at getting one of these guys as well.
check out http://www.remington7400.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
they have a pretty cool rail system
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:09 pm

aus.templar wrote:A sling that moves tighter or looser with every pump is a fucking pain in the arse, tried it.. didn't work for me.

This is my 7600P (in .308)... I've got a few 10rnd mags, haven't decided or put funds aside for an optic yet though.
I've actually got so many mags I'm looking at getting a custom bandoleer made, as I can't find any mag pouches that fit these mags nicely. Anyone point me to some factory made mag pouches before I shell out on a custom job?
Dude, the tube the pump handguard rides on. It secures the barrel to the action but apart from giving the pump handguard a place to ride, it serves no other purpose. The nut at the end of the tube can be replaced to install a sling swivel.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

werepig

Post by werepig » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:13 pm

Nice rifle! Did you special order it with the 18in barrel?
Weapon: Cold Steel Gladius. Partner: Olivia Wilde. Them Song: Clint Mansell - Requiem for a Dream Remix!

I prep for zombies, because I like shooty-stabby things,and for the lulz.

DTyra
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original, the latest, and almost anything in between.

Post by DTyra » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:10 pm

aus.templar wrote:A sling that moves tighter or looser with every pump is a fucking pain in the arse, tried it.. didn't work for me.

I don't know what size your 7600's ten round mags are, but I use the old Vietnam era m16 twenty round mag pouches for my PSL. The pouch will hold two of the PSL mags almost perfectly.
You weren't born with a silver spoon in your mouth; you were born with a shovel up your ass, so pull it out and start digging!
Short stories about the subsidiary characters of "Behind a Veil of Darkness" http://zombiefictionandothertales.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:07 am

Gewehr 43 - 10 rd rifle mag pouches should work.

FN-49 mag pouches would work too.

So would French MAS 49/56 mag pouches.

Same basic dimensions anyway.

Check out eBay for the G43 mag pouches, there's several auctions going on...not exactly a whole lot of those rifles left for shooters/collectors to buy them for.

Took a quick look at eBay and for four pouches the auctions are at between $30 and $50 (so basically $10 apiece).

They're all leather and they're not made out of some high speed ballistic nylon, but they would work.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

GraphicWave

Post by GraphicWave » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:08 am

Very nice gun.
How much did you pay for it?
- You can't just be the good guy and expect to live. Not anymore. -

FrANkNstEin

Post by FrANkNstEin » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:49 am

jor-el wrote:

Dude, the tube the pump handguard rides on. It secures the barrel to the action but apart from giving the pump handguard a place to ride, it serves no other purpose. The nut at the end of the tube can be replaced to install a sling swivel.

Jor-el: Unfortuneately, 7600 and 7615´s don´t work like that. The front end sits on a tube that rides on a smaller tube and the whole tube that seems to stick out in front and where you can add a sling..... It WILL move along with the forend if you slide it back. There is no fixed tube that will stay in place on these, unlike 870´s.

Here´s a (small :( ) pic of one with the forend in the rear position and the action open:

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”