22lr rifle for my 10yo son's birthday

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:19 pm

My son's birthday is coming up in a couple of months, and I'm planning on getting him a rifle in 22lr.

What are your top choices/recommendations?

My thinking is to get him a bolt-action, but I'm open to thinking about other options.

Thanks,

Jamie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: 22lr rifle for my 10yo son's birthday

Post by Rev » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:24 pm

I'd suggest the 10/22 because it has the potential to "grow" with him with stock changes so that it could always be a useful gun to him even when he's an adult.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:43 pm

I vote bolt action. I hear Rev's argument for the 10/22 and setting him up with a gun that can grow with him. But a semi auto in a 10 year old's hands is just an excuse to do magazine dumps. Simply because he can. A bolt action will help teach him the value of taking the time to line up each shot.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:48 pm

I thought that as well, but he will never fire it without supervision anyway.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:50 pm

Learning magazine dumps is important too.

10/22. This way he can learn how to do immediate action to clear, over and over and over and over and over and over over again.

There is no reason to start off with a gifted bolt action.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:18 pm

I'd go with a single shot if this is his first gun. Slows things down and lets you focus on teaching.
Bolt Action or break action. My kid has a break action with .22 and .410 barrels. He likes that he can swap.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

foghern

Post by foghern » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:39 pm

I vote for 10/22. If you want him to learn how to take his time and learn to make each shot count then just give him 1 bullet at a time since you will be supervising. This way you have a very reliable semi auto and he can still use it like a single shot, and he will have to move the action each time too so he can learn all the fundamentals from this one rifle. Also with a single shot you run the risk of him getting bored and losing interest, I started out with a single shot Remington and it gets a little old after a while. If I hadn't received a 10/22 as a gift shortly after learning to shoot I probably would have lost interest.

Also something to think about is maybe getting the takedown model, probably be easier for him to learn the workings and how to clean since the barrel comes away from the moving parts.

Texas19Delta

Post by Texas19Delta » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:45 pm

Lever action.
Browning for style points or Henry to fit in the budget.
Why a lever action?
Cause it is like a red ryder!!!

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:57 pm

My first rifle was a Marlin 25N not action. It has managed to grow with me and I still use it for hunting.

I'd go with a bolt gun. Plus, when he is limited in shot speed, it will give him the craving to buy more guns. :D
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

AUA

Post by AUA » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:01 am

Marlin 39A. Lever-action (which puts it somewhere in between semi-auto and bolt/single-shot), has a relatively high capacity of 19, has the ability to use .22 Short and .22 Long as well as .22 LR, and the base model has a straightforward takedown (only tool needed is a quarter or similar flat-head item).

Marlin Model 60. Semi-auto with 14-round brass tube mag; you've probably seen it in this section in a highly-modified SHTF version. Another user also purchased a Model 60 for his boy, with good results.

There's lots of 10/22 mods out there, but I've personally found a lot more practical Mod 60 mods around ZS:

Like this

Here's another thread on .22 bolt vs semi, if you're into that sort of thing

Both of the above are around the same price range as the 10/22. Just more options.

Regardless of what you pick, I'm glad your son is getting the chance to learn marksmanship fundamentals at that age.

ETA:

I did some digging with the Marlin 60 and read that you own a Springfield M6. That could be a good a rifle as any to teach him with, though I don't know the platform personally.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:12 am

10/22. I learned on a semi (started when I was like 3 or 4 but I also had an underpowered .177 airgun) and it didn't hurt me none.

Want to teach the value of single shots/technique? Put one round in the magazine or simply run drills with single shots.

A semi is much more versatile and teaches many more lessons (like trigger reset and walking shots onto a target).

Semi's have more "fun" potential to keep the kid engaged when neccessary.

Just my personal opinion tempered by the fact that I'll most likely get my daughter a pink Cricket or a little pink Cz (or second hand wood BRNO) bolty when the time comes considering the way things are here now.

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:36 am

Got a budget? Henry Golden Boy or similar .22 Levergun, or that .22 Mare's Leg for the cool firefly look. Marlin (and other) model 60 is hard to miss with. 10/22 is fun for all the doodads and wangdoodles that can be put on it (seen the dress up kit thread?) and for the hicap mags.

I'd say levergun or bust. It'll still be fun when he's thirty, and the Marlin takedown model makes a solid bugout gun.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:24 am

M&P 15-22. It is currently the only .22 rifle I own, and I am looking to buy another one. It is accurate, reliable, a decent AR-15 analog, and fun as hell. As long as you lube it you don't have to clean it much. http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=91954" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:56 am

jamoni wrote:I'd go with a single shot if this is his first gun. Slows things down and lets you focus on teaching.
Bolt Action or break action. My kid has a break action with .22 and .410 barrels. He likes that he can swap.
Looking last night on.ine, I found this one, and it appeals...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... 2243+Youth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those 4 barrels could cover most of what I hunt in the ADKs...

I'm still looking, but I think that I like bolt of lever or break action for his first gun...

Thanks for the awesome advice so far...

Jamie

"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:03 am

CZ makes a hell of a short-action boltgun. Easy upgrade to a larger-caliber short action wioth the same ergos down the road.

On the other hand, Marlin 39A is just giggleworthy, even after having fired 84mm HE rockets or going cyclic with an M240, if that's any endorsement.

Another option might be to check and see if you can find one of the old Boy Scout Springfield M1903 .22LR conversions. I shot one at an event once. Yes, they weigh the same as a real '03, but they are (except for recoil) an exact copy in every way. A cool trainer, although I think they might be single-shot, and I know that when I shot it about six years ago, they were offering to sell them for $150. Just another idea I thought I'd toss out.

FWIW, I grew up shooting an integrally suppressed 10/22. I learned my way around rifles just fine, and had no problems rolling over into bolt-action. Once I out-shot the shitty stock sights, I got to purchase my first optic (a cheap-arse "Swifty" red-dot) and learned too shoot optics. I bought my first 25-round mag with my own money. Before that, we just used 5 or ten-rounders. I occasionally found a Thunderbolt in the mag, my Dad's way of teaching me immediate action. For learning single-shots, we'd throw in a lower powered round and hold the bolt shut with a thumb.

Eventually I got a CZ 552 (I think) and my friend and I used to have shooting competitions between his .22 pump (Winchester?) and my CZ. Wish I'd kept that CZ.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

king_of_hearts

Post by king_of_hearts » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:30 am

Another vote for the Marlin Model 60.

It was my first gun, and I enjoy it to this day.

Vash the Stampede

Post by Vash the Stampede » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:48 pm

10/22, and here's my reasoning:

I learned on a 10/22 as a kid. I had supervision, so there was no "spray-n-pray" at all... I was taught proper shooting technique. It was nice to fire 10 rounds without reloading. It was easy for me to reload, and it took a scope when I was ready. Spray and pray was still fun when I was given the nod.

I have two boys. When my first son was ready, I bought him a cricket. Don't know why, but there was this little sense that I should get him a single shot. I wasted my money on this thing. The boy had already been shooting Red Ryder for a couple years, and quickly (and I mean HOURS) outgrew the thing. I got him his own 10/22 shortly thereafter, and the rest is history.

When son #2 was ready, I simply handed him his own 10/22.

They have got their own 30 round mags with their own money, an topped them with their own choice of optics. Still going strong, and they will shoot these things for their entire lives. I know they will because I'm still shooting mine.

It gets less track time than the S&W M&P15-22 nowadays, but that is another story. :twisted:
Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:41 pm

I started mine on an OLD bolt action(under 100 bucks at a gunshow). A few years later I added a MKIII to his collection. Then a 20gauge.

By adding a scope and bipod to the bolt action he fell in love with it and even now calls it his "sniper" rifle. Anything under 50 meters with it now is not even fun for him.

I do believe that if I had got him a semi auto first he would have been more of a mag dumper then a shooter.

alptraum

Post by alptraum » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:28 pm

I'd go with a CZ 452 or 455. They are great guns and I love mine. One of the pricier options listed (they tend to be around $360 or so for the ones with sights) but they are a great middle ground between a $200 rifle and an $800+ Anshutz or similar. And they can give the Anshutz a run for it's money accuracy wise. The sights on the 452 series are pretty great, maybe somewhat less so on the newer 455. You could always put a nice peep sight on either as well, CZ sells a quite nice one for $50'ish.

My first gun was a semi auto Remington 550-1 which I still own and enjoy shooting. 30+ years later I've decided that thing is made out of adamantium or something as I abused the hell out of mine and it still works just fine. There isn't really anything wrong with going with a semi. But I'd get him a bolt action. And unlike a single shot he'll probably never get tired of it. The only reason I can think of to go with a single shot would be one with interchangeable barrels/calibers like the one you posted. That does have some nice versatility, but personally I'd just prefer a separate gun for each caliber. That's my personal preference though as a single shot would annoy the hell out of me and they may not bother you or your son.

Anyways, get him a CZ 452 (Lux, Ultra Lux or Special Military Trainer all have sights) or 455 (Lux has sights) and never regret it :)

Murf

Post by Murf » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:09 pm

I was also thinking bolt action, so started my son on a Winchester Wildcat. It's a full-sized rifle, but has a lovely slender profile. It's not overly heavy at 4.5 pounds. It's a very nice little rifle, easy to use and accurate, and was an excellent first gun for him. It's one he'll never outgrow, and he's always liked it when the adults at the range handle it and immediately decide they'd like to have one too. I'd recommend at least looking one over before you decide.

His second rifle was a 10/22...
Non semper erit aestas.

MVegas
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MVegas » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:41 pm

Jamie wrote:
jamoni wrote:I'd go with a single shot if this is his first gun. Slows things down and lets you focus on teaching.
Looking last night on.ine, I found this one, and it appeals...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... 2243+Youth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[img]*snip*[/img]]

Those 4 barrels could cover most of what I hunt in the ADKs...

I'm still looking, but I think that I like bolt of lever or break action for his first gun...

Thanks for the awesome advice so far...

Jamie

This! ABSOLUTELY!

Learning to shoot with the Ol' Man is great. Learning to hunt with the Ol' Man is at least as great! In the coming pre-adolescent/teenage years you'd be able to take him small game, deer, bird, or bear hunting without having to spend another dime, aside from ammo and a tag.

Once he has some experience under his belt and you see him moving past the single shot you can give him a .22 repeater on one of his future birthdays.
Winter is Coming

Dragonblight

Post by Dragonblight » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:26 am

I'm going to vote 10/22. Why? because it's amazing, that's why. 'The best piece of mechanical engineering I've ever seen' was my grandpa's vote for it.

This might be about guns, and not engineering, but I tell you what, why not teach a lesson on quality designs AND guns?

Food for thought.

TodaysBushcraft
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Dawn of the Dead", "Shaun of the Dead" Love the new "Walking Dead" series too!

Post by TodaysBushcraft » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:50 am

So, the questions no one is asking.
1. What is the gun to teach him?
Basic Shooting techniques?
Hunting?
Competition?
2. What is his current experience with guns?
3. Do you want this to be an heirloom gun he passes on, or just temporary?
4. How often will he be shooting it?
5. Will you be shooting it? What do you have and shoot?
6. And lastly, why not have him research the different options, watch videos, tell you what he thinks the Pro's and Con's are, and ask him to give you a "Top three" list of what he wants? Then he has a better understanding of the rifles, and why you end up choosing what you choose. Good Luck!

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:14 am

TodaysBushcraft wrote:So, the questions no one is asking.
1. What is the gun to teach him?
Basic Shooting techniques?
Hunting?
Competition?
2. What is his current experience with guns?
3. Do you want this to be an heirloom gun he passes on, or just temporary?
4. How often will he be shooting it?
5. Will you be shooting it? What do you have and shoot?
6. And lastly, why not have him research the different options, watch videos, tell you what he thinks the Pro's and Con's are, and ask him to give you a "Top three" list of what he wants? Then he has a better understanding of the rifles, and why you end up choosing what you choose. Good Luck!
^I guess this is a fair comment.

A lot of us already know what Jamie has in his collection and a lot of us have watched his son B grow up so we know a lot about them so are basing our suggestions on that but many, especially new members such as yourself don't have that inside info.

Welcome, btw. :)

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”