Just put a Marlin 36A in jail.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

wguy00

Just put a Marlin 36A in jail.

Post by wguy00 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:03 pm

I just got back from a local pawn shop. They had a Marlin 36A on the shelf. Needless to say, I bought it along with a beat-up 1940 Izzy Mosin.

The Marlin is chambered in .30-30 and was manufactured in 1947 (SN D88...). This thing is in AWESOME shape. No pitting, rust, dings or scratches or cracks. Never drilled out for a scope. The only flaw I could find is a scuff on the stock half the size of a pinky nail, if that. It's in such good condition that I wonder if it's been refinished at some point in it's life. If it was, someone did a good job on it. The recoil pad is not stock, as far as I can tell, but is fairly old itself. It says Red Head, so I'm thinking Bass Pro. Also, I don't know if Marlin ever chromed(?) the lever, hammer, door and barrel bands. Those may have been done at some point in it's life after production. The action is smooth, but not buttery smooth. I imagine a good cleaning will help with that some as I opened the action and blew a dust bunny out of the chamber.

I know, I know... pics or it didn't happen. Well, here's some crappy pics. My iPhone camera has never been the same since it took a swim in a creek one day. Sorry, I didn't snap any of the Mosin.

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
-Douglas Adams

my pies are piff
Favorite Zombie Movies: Left 4 Head

Re: Just put a Marlin 36A in jail.

Post by my pies are piff » Thu May 10, 2012 7:16 pm

NIce score. Congrats. Let us know how it shoots. I've been looking into a lever gun for a while now.

wguy00

Post by wguy00 » Mon May 14, 2012 3:47 pm

Thank you. I pick this guy up on Sunday at 2:40 pm. I'm hoping to make it out to the range and try it out by 3:30. I'll let you know how it goes.

Off topic:
Did you ever get a chance to try your ammo out from Freedom?
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
-Douglas Adams

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Mon May 14, 2012 5:18 pm

there is something about nice lever rifles that just screams classy. that sir, is one classy gun.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Mon May 14, 2012 5:22 pm

IMHO, these are probably the best lever guns in .30-30 available. And a late 40"s vintage one at that? That is going to be a hard act to follow, sir!

Nice choice and a great looking rifle you picked up!

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

MJS8725
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead.

Post by MJS8725 » Mon May 14, 2012 5:25 pm

That there is a pretty rifle.
Evil unchecked grows, evil tolerated poisons the entire system.- Jawaharlal Nehru

wguy00

Post by wguy00 » Mon May 14, 2012 5:53 pm

Chase The hero wrote:there is something about nice lever rifles that just screams classy. that sir, is one classy gun.
I was hoping that when I hold it, the classiness of the rifle, and my lack of class, would balance each other out. :lol:
TheLastRifleMan wrote:IMHO, these are probably the best lever guns in .30-30 available. And a late 40"s vintage one at that? That is going to be a hard act to follow, sir!

Nice choice and a great looking rifle you picked up!
Thank you. I've always wanted a lever action .30-30, even when I wasn't "in" to guns. The guy at the pawn shop originally said that this was "probably a '70s vintage." I asked to see it and noticed the serial number started with a letter. I don't know crap about Marlin rifles except that anything from about '70 on up doesn't start with a letter and it had to be older than he was saying. After a couple minutes on the 'net, my assumptions were correct. I went back the next day and bought the two rifles. I waited until after we agreed on the price and started the paperwork to let the guy know exactly what year it was and how he could tell. :twisted: He was amazed as I was that the thing was 65 years old. I agree that this is going to be a hard act to follow. But...
MJS8725 wrote:That there is a pretty rifle.
Thank you. If she shoots half as good as she looks, she's a keeper.
-Douglas Adams

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Tue May 15, 2012 4:57 pm

How about a VZ 16/33 made by Brno in 1935? Yes, I have one:

I have never seen a Marlin 336 that was not a good shooter for a lever gun. I had a 30AS, the birch stocked version, years ago and it would easily do just over MOA bench rested. This was with a 4x scope using 150 gr FNSP loads. I considered this more the adequate for any type of hunting I was going to do with it.

I sold it to my cousin's husband, who still has it. I should ask him if he wants to sell it someday. I would really like to have it back.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

MJS8725
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead.

Post by MJS8725 » Tue May 15, 2012 5:00 pm

It's a Marlin, I'd be shocked if it didn't shoot decently.
Evil unchecked grows, evil tolerated poisons the entire system.- Jawaharlal Nehru

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”