M1 .30 Carbine with red dot sights

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

azstinger
Favorite Zombie Movies: Z-land or Dawn of the Dead

Re: M1 .30 Carbine with red dot sights

Post by azstinger » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:40 pm

Can the carbine handle modern ammunition without modification or is it as picky as the garand for it wants?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:08 pm

azstinger wrote:Can the carbine handle modern ammunition without modification or is it as picky as the garand for it wants?
Watcha mean by "modern ammunition" ?
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

azstinger

Post by azstinger » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:28 pm

Non mil-surplus off the shelf wally world ammo. All of the people I have had face to face conversations with and know their creditability say that off the shelf .30-06 is a no-no for garands unless you install a gas plug to prevent damage to the op-rod.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:07 pm

azstinger wrote:Non mil-surplus off the shelf wally world ammo. All of the people I have had face to face conversations with and know their creditability say that off the shelf .30-06 is a no-no for garands unless you install a gas plug to prevent damage to the op-rod.
Mine shoots whatever brand soft-points or FMJs I've ever tried. I haven't seen much "surplus" .30 cal. carbine ammo around lately.....But I haven't really been looking either since collectors seem to have run up the price on the stuff.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:48 pm

azstinger wrote:Can the carbine handle modern ammunition without modification or is it as picky as the garand for it wants?
mine shoots anything I feed it, anything from non jacketed WW2 surplus to Russian steel case
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:47 am

No, they aren't real picky.

One of the drawbacks of the .30 Carbine in that there aren't too many other guns made for that caliber, but one of the positives is that pretty much any .30 carbine ammo you find is going to be made for the M1 Carbine.

Not so with the 30-06.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:45 am

Browning 35 wrote:
One of the drawbacks of the .30 Carbine in that there aren't too many other guns made for that caliber, but one of the positives is that pretty much any .30 carbine ammo you find is going to be made for the M1 Carbine. Not so with the 30-06.
And this is what it all comes down to, as far as ammo. M1 Carbines aren't going to be too picky about ammo because any .30 Carbine rounds you find are designed for that gun. Or did you think the M1 Carbine shot .30-06 like the Garand? Cuz that would break your shoulder right the fuck off, yo...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Let's just say I have never seen one I didn't like!

Post by Absintheur » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:42 pm

I did an old school conversion on my carbine...the longer stock fits me much better and the scope is a 2.5X El Paso Weaver with post and crosshair. Handles great and the low power scope is perfect for CQC as well as reaching out several hundred yards.

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -- J.R.R.Tolkien

azstinger

Post by azstinger » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote:
Browning 35 wrote:
One of the drawbacks of the .30 Carbine in that there aren't too many other guns made for that caliber, but one of the positives is that pretty much any .30 carbine ammo you find is going to be made for the M1 Carbine. Not so with the 30-06.
And this is what it all comes down to, as far as ammo. M1 Carbines aren't going to be too picky about ammo because any .30 Carbine rounds you find are designed for that gun. Or did you think the M1 Carbine shot .30-06 like the Garand? Cuz that would break your shoulder right the fuck off, yo...

Nope I knew it was a smaller caliber just didn't know it was kind of a one off caliber that really only it used.

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:32 pm

azstinger wrote:
Kutter_0311 wrote:
Browning 35 wrote:

Nope I knew it was a smaller caliber just didn't know it was kind of a one off caliber that really only it used.
It's been used in a few M1 Carbine knockoffs (carbines made in Italy and the Dominican Republic) and in a few handguns (AMT and the Ruger Blackhawk), but it was basically the M1's use in US Military service during a fairly narrow window of time that led it to even get chambered in those few other guns.

It's not a real great cartridge for medium sized game, so it kinda gradually dwindled ever since the 1950's.

The .30 Carbine's okay for small game though, but in the US it seems like any cartridge not suitable for deer or larger game gets sneered at.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:19 am

Browning 35 wrote:The .30 Carbine's okay for small game though, but in the US it seems like any cartridge not suitable for deer or larger game gets sneered at.
QFT. Grandpa loved his M1 Carbine, but it's kind of a PCC, without much for pistols to go with it, and scarce ammo.

I may still get one for the kids, though, to work them up to AK's. Light recoil, light weight, accurate...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:42 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote:
Browning 35 wrote:The .30 Carbine's okay for small game though, but in the US it seems like any cartridge not suitable for deer or larger game gets sneered at.
QFT. Grandpa loved his M1 Carbine, but it's kind of a PCC, without much for pistols to go with it, and scarce ammo.

I may still get one for the kids, though, to work them up to AK's. Light recoil, light weight, accurate...
I loved mine and I wish that I never sold it.

It was a Winchester that I bought in the early 90's for a little over $200 ($225 or $250...don't remember which).

Never shot anything with it that I remember (it was just kind of a high powered plinker), but it was fun as hell.

Maybe I'll get another one some day, bit it won't be anywhere near as cheap. M1 Carbine prices have gone through freaking roof!!!
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:57 pm

Browning 35 wrote:Maybe I'll get another one some day, bit it won't be anywhere near as cheap. M1 Carbine prices have gone through freaking roof!!!
They sure have! Thank you, wave of WWII nostalgia brought on by deaths of WWII vets...

Incidentally, I really wanted to get one when I got out so I could drag Grandpa to the range and have him show me everything, but he passed before I could. Maybe that was best, I got lucky with the 1911, he only fam-fired it before going to Europe. He carried a carbine through the whole war, including getting burned very badly at Monte Cassino. He spoke well of the carbine, but perhaps putting his hands on one would have tripped some bad shit. Too late now, at any rate...

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Tue May 22, 2012 2:17 am

Kutter_0311 wrote:
Browning 35 wrote:Maybe I'll get another one some day, bit it won't be anywhere near as cheap. M1 Carbine prices have gone through freaking roof!!!
They sure have! Thank you, wave of WWII nostalgia brought on by deaths of WWII vets...

Incidentally, I really wanted to get one when I got out so I could drag Grandpa to the range and have him show me everything, but he passed before I could. Maybe that was best, I got lucky with the 1911, he only fam-fired it before going to Europe. He carried a carbine through the whole war, including getting burned very badly at Monte Cassino. He spoke well of the carbine, but perhaps putting his hands on one would have tripped some bad shit. Too late now, at any rate...
I was lucky enough to be able to put a Garand, a carbine, and a Thompson in my Dad's hands and let him talk a little about all three, and his experiences with them during the war. His memory was fuzzy, but it was amazing to watch him hold them almost reverently.

When he held the Thompson, you could tell he remembered some ugly stuff, so I know what you mean. Dad talked so little about the war, and I didn't want to upset him, knowing he killed men with his Thompson, but I think he was OK at that moment. The memory of him racking the slide back, just like it was 50 years before, is one I will always cherish.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Tue May 22, 2012 2:22 am

I have to wonder how a cartridge that's not suitable for deer would be suitable for self defense?

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:23 am

is there any company making modern M1 carbine ? i know ruger make a .22 version.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue May 22, 2012 8:46 am

azrael99 wrote:is there any company making modern M1 carbine ? i know ruger make a .22 version.
Auto-Ordnance. There are a couple of companies that sell totally refurbished M1 carbines, like Miltech Arms.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:01 am

and i presume for a "good price, because you look friendly" too, right ?
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Tue May 22, 2012 4:10 pm

Had an interesting thought last night as I was drifting off to sleep .

M1 Carbine + Ultimak scout rail + variable power LER scope .

Seen ultamak rails with red dots on a carbine , but never a true scout scope . Would make getting hits to 200 a hell of a lot easier .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue May 22, 2012 4:34 pm

mk_ultra wrote:Had an interesting thought last night as I was drifting off to sleep .

M1 Carbine + Ultimak scout rail + variable power LER scope .

Seen ultamak rails with red dots on a carbine , but never a true scout scope . Would make getting hits to 200 a hell of a lot easier .
Here's what I got from a quick-&-dirty GIS.....I woulda thunk there'd been more.

The Jinxmedic
Favorite Zombie Movies: Titanic

Post by The Jinxmedic » Tue May 22, 2012 5:14 pm

Very nice!

jdudkiewicz

Post by jdudkiewicz » Wed May 23, 2012 5:10 am

skelco wrote:love it!

here's mine:
Does that magnify as well? I have been thinking about getting a red dot/mag combination for my ruger.

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:57 am

Kommander wrote:
I have to wonder how a cartridge that's not suitable for deer would be suitable for self defense?
I think that it's one of those deals where a solid hit from FMJ hit from a .30 carbine would be lethal in deer hunting, but not right away. So basically you'd kill it, but you'd lose it in the brush.

I'm not sure that it's a good comparison to choose your defensive calibers based on how they'd do on deer though.

Deer and other wild animals are tougher than people. I've seen deer take off and run across a wide field after being shot through both lungs and the bottom of the heart with a .270 Win before it finally catches up with them. Seen a few Heart-D/lung broadside shots made with 30-06's and 6.8's...same thing.

Deer are springy, all eyes, nerves and muscle. Built for speed and to get away from predators. Unless they're tagged in the spine or brain they can get a fair distance before you can blink.

With people I've seen the same wound with a 9mm and the .45 ACP and they dropped and never moved from the spot that they got shot in til we moved them. At most I've seen people move a few feet.

FMJ isn't exactly the end all/be all when it comes to field uses and social purposes.

While loaded with defensive ammo the .30 Carbine supposed to be a different story anyway. Jim Cirillo of the NYPD supposedly sung the praises of the M1 Carbine when it was loaded with soft points. Not quite a medium weight hunting caliber, but good enough for across the street or down the hallway on a burglar/armed robber.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

sarky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Shawn of the Dead

Post by sarky » Wed May 23, 2012 10:59 am

I have 5, none of them in .357 but one is in .256 win Mag and another is in 9mm Magnum.
20 years USN
SERE Instructor
P-3 Flight Engineer
Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”