Shotshell reloading question

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Shotshell reloading question

Post by Jamie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:26 am

Powders!!!

There are a gazillion powders and they all seem specific, but then in the fine print also often note how they're also good for shotshells (and rifle...and handgun).

Are there any powders generally thought to be superior, to be avoided, or should I just get what's available and cheap?

Thanks,

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

minengr

Re: Shotshell reloading question

Post by minengr » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:40 pm

I have a buddy that's went through a ton of 800x. He shoots registered trap but I think he has switched to Clays. Next time I get around to loading shot shells, I paln to use Clays. I think it burns a little cleaner.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Let's just say I have never seen one I didn't like!

Post by Absintheur » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:16 am

I am still old school here, buy my Red Dot by the keg. There may be cleaner burning powders out there but Red Dot is so reliably consistent it is what I always ended up coming back to.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -- J.R.R.Tolkien

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:19 am

Thanks for the replies so far, I've been thinking about dipping my toe in the reloading waters, and 12G shotshells seem a good/easy/cheap way to do it...

I was pricing stuff through Cabelas, but am sure that there are cheaper/better sites...what do you guys use?

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Rich219

Post by Rich219 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:52 pm

Jamie wrote:Thanks for the replies so far, I've been thinking about dipping my toe in the reloading waters, and 12G shotshells seem a good/easy/cheap way to do it...

I was pricing stuff through Cabelas, but am sure that there are cheaper/better sites...what do you guys use?

Jamie
Jamie,

If you ever get out toward Rochester I can show you the ropes. Red Dot is my favorite for 1 1/8 oz. loads.

Beikirch's in Rochester is going to be your cheapest source of stuff within the state. If you wait until July for the NYS shoot in Syracuse you will also be able to find excellent prices on reloading supplies there.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Just remember to follow those recipes in the shotshell reloading books exactly. The wrong wad in the wrong hull can jump your chamber pressure up considerably.

I still have a big container of 800x. Burns clean and made some really good 7/8 oz. trap/small games loads with Remington STS hulls and WInchester primers and wads.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”