Mossberg MVP Range Report

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Let's just say I have never seen one I didn't like!

Post by Absintheur » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:04 am

Had time today before a shooting competition to finally try out the MPV. Sadly I had only one type of ammo with me and it wasn't the best suited for the twist rate. I had 20 rounds of Black Hills 68gr JHP (I grabbed the .308 range box by mistake) Fortunately it was enough to get the scope close and enough for a 5 round group. I have a feeling this rifle will like my 55 grain V-Max ammo better.

The rifle is well put together and uses a trigger similar to Savage's Accu-Trigger. It is breaking at about 2 1/2 pound very cleanly. I am still getting use to the take up in the safety but I am sure I will learn to manage it. Fit and finish is great with the exception of the black stain being a bit light in the stippled areas...in the pics it shows up as brown areas.

I have a lower price 6X18X50 Bushnell on it for right now, inexpensive but still good clear glass with decent eye relief. I bore sited and the first shot was on paper so I started walking it left and down. I was getting close after 10 rounds and fired this 5 shot group at 100 yard on a bench.

the hole near the three is a double...was obvious on the target backing

All in all I am happy with this rifle. It is reasonably smooth and I think will smooth in with a few hundred times cycling the action. Accuracy was very good considering the ammo and the fact I haven't started tuning ammo for the rifle yet. It fed out of the AR mags perfectly. Stock is a good fit but I would have liked to of seen a slightly longer bolt handle with a larger knob but I can learn this easy enough.

As an addition....

I remembered my Ex-wife gave me a box of the Hornady Z-Max ammo in .223 as a joke gift, this is the same as the V-Max with the only difference being the color of the tip. I was using it mostly as a display thing and I figure the box will display empty as well as it does full...lol. If the weather co-operates a range trip tomorrow will tell me if 55 grain is what this rifle will be happiest with. I will also try some 5.56 62 grain in it.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -- J.R.R.Tolkien

Mr.Rogers

Re: Mossberg MVP Range Report

Post by Mr.Rogers » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:04 am

Thanks for the great write up
Mr.Rogers

BHP

Post by BHP » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:10 am

What sort of ejector does it have? I'm wondering if it would be suitable for a whisper/blackout conversion.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:23 am

BHP wrote:What sort of ejector does it have? I'm wondering if it would be suitable for a whisper/blackout conversion.
Why would you want a bolt action in 300 aac /whisper? Go .308 win bolt action and get subsonic ammo or load your own. Same bullets in the same weights and you also have a better all around cartridge in the super sonic range too. I'd be more impressed with a suppressed 30-30.

OT - Sounds like the MVP is a nicer rifle that I was expecting. I've never really liked Mossberg rifles, but that one looks cool.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

austin93906
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, zombieland, etc

Post by austin93906 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:22 pm

Blackout makes sense to me just due to the fact that this rifle is set up for AR mags. Good luck finding a bolty that takes detachable mags that aren't 70-80 bucks a pop for ten rounders.

Im glad to see that the rifle functions great. Makes me want the one we've had sitting in our store for awhile so much more.
Braxton wrote:So, How does it feel to be Batman? An obsolete rifle using, shingle shooting Batman, but Batman non the less.
gelgoog wrote:Hey....this is America, if at first you do not succeed keep being lazy until you get bitched at enough that you eventually get it right.
Why u should use Snap Caps

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:22 pm

austin93906 wrote:Blackout makes sense to me just due to the fact that this rifle is set up for AR mags. Good luck finding a bolty that takes detachable mags that aren't 70-80 bucks a pop for ten rounders.

Im glad to see that the rifle functions great. Makes me want the one we've had sitting in our store for awhile so much more.
Howa has a detachable mag version of their short action bolt guns. 10 rd Mags go for around $35 +/- . Its not $15 like ar mags,.. but what can I say. You save a lot by not paying $300 to rebarrel a $500 rifle.

Blackout doesn't make sense in a bolt. Blackout is trendy. However, I do think it quite nifty in an AR.

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Absintheur » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:12 pm

I think the 300 Whisper would be fine in a bolt gun, be even quieter than my AR in 300 Whisper because of the locked action. I had though about having JD do an integral suppressor on one of these but I own a Ar in 300 Whisper and a Ruger 77 in .308 with a can for it as well....so this rifle will stay .223/5.56. Didn't get back in town early enough to try the Z-max ammo...if the weather is decent may get out to the range tomorrow.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -- J.R.R.Tolkien

BHP

Post by BHP » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:15 pm

brothaman wrote: Why would you want a bolt action in 300 aac /whisper? Go .308 win bolt action and get subsonic ammo or load your own. Same bullets in the same weights and you also have a better all around cartridge in the super sonic range too. I'd be more impressed with a suppressed 30-30.
My first thought is 'go fuck yourself' but I will elaborate. First off I already have a suppressed AR in the Whisper round. The .300 Whisper/ AAC round was made with subsonic loadings in mind. Sunsonic .308 is far more complicated to load for, not to mention more expensive. Add to that the fact that I already load subsonic .300 Whisper and thats reason enough for me. Truthfully though the smaller and lighter action of the Marlin is another plus but the biggest reason is the lack of action noise the bolt action would give me.

How about you go live your life and stop trying to run mine.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:30 pm

BHP wrote:My first thought is 'go fuck yourself' but I will elaborate.
Saved for sigging later.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

exiledtoIA

Post by exiledtoIA » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:50 am

Sweet! My lady and I have been kicking the idea of 223 bolt guns around for a while. Had been loking at Rem 700's and a Savage. i didn't even realize Mossberg made these. Will have to check them out. Thanks for the idea. One question do they have iron sights or are they optics only?
This soldier should not be allowed north of the Light Line.

John the Giant

Post by John the Giant » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:11 pm

I've been debating whether to get the lefty or righty version, or just more ammo.
I love the idea of AR mags in a bolt for killin wild critters, I'd just rather they had irons already so I didn't have to get on a mill and dovetail some in

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:00 am

BHP wrote:
brothaman wrote: Why would you want a bolt action in 300 aac /whisper? Go .308 win bolt action and get subsonic ammo or load your own. Same bullets in the same weights and you also have a better all around cartridge in the super sonic range too. I'd be more impressed with a suppressed 30-30.
My first thought is 'go fuck yourself' but I will elaborate. First off I already have a suppressed AR in the Whisper round. The .300 Whisper/ AAC round was made with subsonic loadings in mind. Sunsonic .308 is far more complicated to load for, not to mention more expensive. Add to that the fact that I already load subsonic .300 Whisper and thats reason enough for me. Truthfully though the smaller and lighter action of the Marlin is another plus but the biggest reason is the lack of action noise the bolt action would give me.

How about you go live your life and stop trying to run mine.
Hey man.... Didn't mean to hit a sore spot. It's just guns we're talkin' here. Discussion and debate is fun. I do think that 300 ACC is currently fashionable and trendy. Just like the "Judge" is trendy. Seems like you're hip with the "In Crowd" and you know what's really hot. That's cool. We all like some things that don't make sense to other folk. I have a hard time defending my need for a bolt action 30-30. I'm not trying to beat down your personal life choices. We're all different and we're all special in our own way.

Lighten up. Relax. I ain't trollin', I'm just talkin' bout guns and stuff. But what do I know, I'm just an internet asshole.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:00 pm

Now I'd like to see an adjustable stock for this.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Absintheur » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:11 pm

To answer a question above...it does not come with iron sights...

Went out yesterday...tried the PRVI 62 grain in the MVP. Managed a couple group hovering around an inch but with the wind gusting to over 40 mph as it came over the berm I don't think it was as good as the rifle or ammo will shoot. Decided to hold off on testing the 55 gr Hornady Z-Max till calmer conditions.

Rifle continues to feed and cycle very smoothly, have used a half dozen Ar mags including a Colt 10 round and 20 rounders from Colt, Brownells and Stoner...zero feeding issues from any of them.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:17 pm

What I'd like to know is if those 100 round Beta Mags will work in the MVP and if Mossberg has any plans to release a tactical model of the MVP.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:46 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:What I'd like to know is if those 100 round Beta Mags will work in the MVP and if Mossberg has any plans to release a tactical model of the MVP.
Yeah, this POS doesn't even have a Barrett muzzle brake on it! :lol:
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Absintheur » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:49 pm

Czechnology wrote: Yeah, this POS doesn't even have a Barrett muzzle brake on it!
Nice to see a Moderator knocking a members firearm...

POS?

mmmmm.....

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:52 pm

Czechnology wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:What I'd like to know is if those 100 round Beta Mags will work in the MVP and if Mossberg has any plans to release a tactical model of the MVP.
Yeah, this POS doesn't even have a Barrett muzzle brake on it! :lol:
Dude, you joke, but you just know someone at Mossberg already has that planned. :lol:
Absintheur wrote:
Czechnology wrote: Yeah, this POS doesn't even have a Barrett muzzle brake on it!

POS?

mmmmm.....
I think he's being sarcastic, Absintheur. That or he's imagining what someone at Mossberg would say.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:56 am

Personally, I'd love to see this gun in a 16 or 18 inch barrel with a factory installed A2 Flash fider and a youth sized stock. Just a real tight tack driving package ready for a can.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:40 am

Absintheur wrote:

POS?

mmmmm.....
Sorry man. Bluetext=sarcasm. I was making light of the less serious things mossberg has done to light rifles (like .22lr) with .50BMG muzzle brakes. I WISH I had your rifle, and I do not think it is a POS. No offense meant.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:11 am

Id love to see this rifle in 6.5,7.62x39, and 458. Now that savage makes a receiver that accepts ar mags, this gun has legs. Hel l, I want one all scouted out in 6.5.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

exiledtoIA

Post by exiledtoIA » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:01 pm

Thanks. Still interested, went looking yesterday - nobody local has one in stock. Guess I'll have to have someone order one to try out.

Absintheur wrote:To answer a question above...it does not come with iron sights...

Went out yesterday...tried the PRVI 62 grain in the MVP. Managed a couple group hovering around an inch but with the wind gusting to over 40 mph as it came over the berm I don't think it was as good as the rifle or ammo will shoot. Decided to hold off on testing the 55 gr Hornady Z-Max till calmer conditions.

Rifle continues to feed and cycle very smoothly, have used a half dozen Ar mags including a Colt 10 round and 20 rounders from Colt, Brownells and Stoner...zero feeding issues from any of them.
This soldier should not be allowed north of the Light Line.

JL126

Post by JL126 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:10 am

Jeez, some folks need to lighten up a little bit. Hate to see what your blood pressures look like!

Cool review Absintheur.

SimonZayne

Post by SimonZayne » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:17 am

Thanks for getting this review up, I've been on this one for a while.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”