New Shotgun, Pump 22LR: Starting my collection

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DaleGribble

New Shotgun, Pump 22LR: Starting my collection

Post by DaleGribble » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 pm

I have recently begun my collection of firearms for general preparedness, sporting hobby, and of course, in case of Zombacalypse.
I purchased my first shotgun, a Stevens (Savage) 350 Field/Security Combo. At $269.99+tax for a shotgun and two barrels, I thought it was a good chance to get a defense shotgun and maybe foray into target shooting and hunting with it as well.

Shotgun with both barrels

It is chinese copy of the Ithaca 37, just with two action bars. It is bottom load/eject and made of all steel.

Came with ghost ring sights

Added shell holder on the side. Staggered with (1) Heavy Game Load, (2)(3)(4) Fiocchi Low Recoil 00BK, and (5) Brenneke KO Slug

Having the second 26" barrel was the primary reason I bought this shotgun.

An old Remington Pump Action .22LR was handed down to me from my grandfather. Its from 1950 and has been in the family for that entire time and fired sparingly.

Action of slide 22
Image 22 Chamber

My current ammo collection: 50 rds Fiocchi Low Recoil 00BK, 15 Rds Remington Managed Recoil 00BK, 10rds Remington Game Loads, 10rds Brenneke KO Slugs, 400+rds misc .22LR mostly high velocity hollowpoint.

Plan on getting a sling for the shotgun and more ammo. Need to take it to the range a few more times though. Not much, but its a start. I feel safer already.

:D

Murgatroy

Re: New Shotgun, Pump 22LR: Starting my collection

Post by Murgatroy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Where did you locate the shotgun? I just missed a sweet deal on an Ithaca 37 last month and I have been a sad redneck ever since.

That is pretty interesting.
Yoda for President

DaleGribble

Post by DaleGribble » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Dick's Sporting Goods. Was 299, dropped to 279, and had a $10 off any gun $100-300 =269+tax

Seems smooth so far after testing with slugs l, game loads, and variety of buckshot. Bottom eject REALLY throws spent shells tho

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Looks like a good start to me . :D
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Mr. Warren Peace
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later.. 28 weeks later,

Post by Mr. Warren Peace » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:15 pm

nice shotgun and a great price... keep shooting and add more ammo....
"Riddle me this. Riddle me that. Who is afraid of the big black bat?"

DaleGribble

Post by DaleGribble » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:10 pm

I definitely need to practice in an open field, and practice a lot.... Slugs are difficult and I only got one of 4 on paper with the 26inch Barrel. I felt more lethal with accuracy and follow up shots withe low recoil 00 Bk

Brandr

Post by Brandr » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:50 pm

I like the Remington model 12 you have there, I need to put a barrel liner in mine. I love the fact they break down into 2 pieces for carry
Sic Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:08 pm

Nice pieces. Those old gallery-guns are sweet shooters, if you get one thta didn't spend 20 years as part of a carnival.

I love the Stevens too.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:35 pm

If for home defense get rid of that heavy game load shell. I think you can get these without the second barrel for ~$200 when on sale. I've been pretty tempted but I really don't need a second pump.

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:16 pm

I was all.. Doesn't Rusty Shakelford(sp) post all his AR15s on here already, why is he just starting? Oh, wait.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/search.p ... 6&sr=posts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

DaleGribble

Post by DaleGribble » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:40 pm

Doc Torr wrote:Nice pieces. Those old gallery-guns are sweet shooters, if you get one thta didn't spend 20 years as part of a carnival.

I love the Stevens too.

I'm certain it didn't. It was used lightly presumably for hunting in central PA from about 1950-1960, then kept in the same closet until about a month ago.

Lol @ RustyShackleford. Shi shi Shaw!u

Thanks for comments. I'm looking into adding a pistol here soon, likely a CZ in 9mm. Then after that I'm aiming on getting a Benelli MR1 since I can get a deal on them. Ill be ready for when shtf soon enough

johnDjoker

Post by johnDjoker » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:23 am

very impressive. i like it soo much and interesting to that kind of collection.
I am proud of the fact that I invented weapons like billy club weapon to be our self defense in times of trouble.
LIVE LIFE & BE HAPPY

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:10 am

Based on the length of the forearm it looks like you have a Remington 121 . I've owned the earlier model 12 for many years . These old pumps are possibly the finest built 22 pumps ever . Enjoy !

Is the rear ghost right sight removeable on the Stevens ? It looks like it might be a distraction while shooting the vent rib field barrel .

Very nice start 8-)
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

flsgear
Favorite Zombie Movies: :D all of them I think O_O

Post by flsgear » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:59 am

Just curious - if the stevens 350 is a copy of the I37 ... does that mean you can do the whole slam-fire trick? :)

(not that I'd ever want to, it'd tear my shoulder off)
Owner, Messina's Front Line Survival Gear - website at http://www.flsgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!
Blog: flsgear.wordpress.com (mostly inactive)
Twitter: twitter.com/mmessina_author (active, not biz related)
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (very active)
Also part-time sci-fi author - http://amzn.to/vYUbTw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roger Brough

Post by Roger Brough » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:13 am

Add a handgun and you are set. That Remington is almost all one would really need for survival purposes. For the 12, don't focus on working the pump for very long. Focus on staying gun up with your strong hand while rapidly reloading one and two shell combos while you move. Watch some cowboy action competitors doing it with break-down guns to get an idea of what speed looks like.
People put too much emphasis on ole’ Charlie Darwin’s theory about the survival of the fittest. It has produced a cottage industry of shake-weights, special-muscle-morphing powder drinks, and girly men that sell exercise videos. Not me.
See, this here is the 1911.”

~Peter S. Thompson”

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:30 am

No, he's not set yet. Your way under ammo'd. First, imagine that there are no more places to buy ammo. Say you use 1 to 2 birdshot rds and 1 to 2 .22 rds per day hunting. thats 60-120 rds/mth or an average of 1080 rds a year.
Now you've designated your shotgun as a pdw. How many rds would that burn if you had to use it in that capacity per event? In a prolonged seige? Supressive fire your supposed to fire one round every 2 seconds.

Buy more ammo before you buy more guns.
Last edited by MacWa77ace on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:36 am

Roger Brough wrote:**snip**
For the 12, don't focus on working the pump for very long. Focus on staying gun up with your strong hand while rapidly reloading one and two shell combos while you move. Watch some cowboy action competitors doing it with break-down guns to get an idea of what speed looks like.
And remember to 'feed the puppy'. 5 shot mags run out before you know it. You constantly have to feed that puppy when shooting or you'll hear the dreaded 'click'. Also you may want to rethink where and what your primary shotgun shell holder will be.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Einher

Post by Einher » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:20 pm

OP looks like he's well on his way.

Just needs a centerfire rifle for big game and a pistol for defense to round things out.
полиция wrote:Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.

DaleGribble

Post by DaleGribble » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:35 am

Ammo and my choices of pistol and rifle I'm eyeing are mentioned in earlier posts. Definitely something I'm aware of, this was just a start.

Thanks for the comments fellas

Gregory Merlon

Post by Gregory Merlon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:41 am

Slugs are difficult and I only got one of 4 on paper with the 26inch Barrel.

How far away were you shooting from?

I have to admit, at that price and with bottom ejection, the Savage 350 is starting to sound tempting to me.
"Don't listen to the folks who say these things aren't practical. You just have to know what they are capable of and what their limits are. They're really good for a leaving a blood trail so the cops can find the guy that stabbed you to death with a broken bottle." ~ Yossarian

DaleGribble

Post by DaleGribble » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:22 pm

Gregory Merlon wrote:
Slugs are difficult and I only got one of 4 on paper with the 26inch Barrel.

How far away were you shooting from?

I have to admit, at that price and with bottom ejection, the Savage 350 is starting to sound tempting to me.
Shooting from 50 yards.

Yeh, the price and two barrels were what sold me.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”