Shooting high with a bead sight - seeking suggestions

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

tarafore

Shooting high with a bead sight - seeking suggestions

Post by tarafore » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:50 pm

I read the "How we make the defensive shotgun work" thread, or at least most of it, and I didn't see the answer to this question.

I was shooting my Mossberg 500 (with 00 buck) at 20 and 25 yards yesterday, and I noticed I was shooting high. I didn't know exactly how to correct it, because I only have a front bead, with no rear sight. Normally, if I find myself shooting high I just align the front and rear sights more carefully - I sometimes get sloppy when I'm having fun shooting, but I try to correct my mistakes before they become bad habits.

So, I'd really appreciate either some advice for good replacement sights, or a practical way to correct elevation when using a bead sight.

Thanks!

ETA - I'm pretty rusty with my shotgun. It's way down my list of defensive weapons, but since it is ON the list, I figured I'd take it out and work with it a little bit. I practice a lot more with my handguns and my AR15.

400 Grains

Re: Shooting high with a bead sight - seeking suggestions

Post by 400 Grains » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:25 am

Where are you holding? Have you tried using a 6 o'clock hold?

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:28 am

Aim lower

jrswanson1

Post by jrswanson1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:24 am

You are still point shooting that shotgun like you were trap or skeet shooting. IIRC on Mossbergs, there is a section on the top of the receiver that is flat with some lines cut in it. The bead should be centered on that section, just poking over the top of the receiver if you are holding the shotgun like a rifle and have your head far enough down.

Jim

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:17 am

MaconCJ7 wrote:Aim lower

Pretty much. Generally speaking, you shouldn't be seeing the whole bead, just the tip.

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:47 am

jrswanson1 wrote:You are still point shooting that shotgun like you were trap or skeet shooting. IIRC on Mossbergs, there is a section on the top of the receiver that is flat with some lines cut in it. The bead should be centered on that section, just poking over the top of the receiver if you are holding the shotgun like a rifle and have your head far enough down.

Jim
When I shoot shotguns, the fillings in my molars rattle. This technique at least gets my hits on clays when shooting them so I don't have to get my "25" and I can go home earlier :lol:
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:36 pm

Having a SG setup with correct drop at the comb of the stock is important for proper elevation position when shouldering. I see a lot of people with AR style stocks on their SG's that dont allow them to get low enough for proper sight picture. Shim kits are your friend, they are a huge help to make a SG feel natural.
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:43 pm

TDW586 wrote:
MaconCJ7 wrote:Aim lower

Pretty much. Generally speaking, you shouldn't be seeing the whole bead, just the tip.
Funny you mention this. I have a friend who uses a rifled barrel shotgun. We had the same issue and he replaced the front sight with a taller blade. We will try out soon to see if that works. In the mean time just aim lower.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:50 pm

TDW586 wrote: just the tip.

Reminds me of a fun game.

Graybeard
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Graybeard » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:50 pm

hold lower

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:29 pm

If you're comfortable with your shooting position, how about a slightly taller front sight bead?

Something like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/893599
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Mr. Warren Peace
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later.. 28 weeks later,

Post by Mr. Warren Peace » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:38 pm

i had the same problem with my mossberg 500 and this helped:

first, i was anticipating the recoil and noise from my 12 gauge. after several practice rounds with bird, to defeat the anticipation, i switched back to buckshots, and it made a big difference.

finally, ^ this, and having my target on top of the bead sight, had me on target.

it took me a several shots, and it made a world of difference.
"Riddle me this. Riddle me that. Who is afraid of the big black bat?"

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”