Mossberg MVP

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Let's just say I have never seen one I didn't like!

Mossberg MVP

Post by Absintheur » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:41 pm

My dealer called me to let me know the Mossberg MVP I had on order since last summer is finally going to show up. To me this will make for a great rifle with many features I like, most noticeably it uses AR magazines and is chambered for 5.56 and will handle the .223 as well. Other things I like include the stock design which is well suited for bipod and rear bag use with a wide flat forend and benchrest style buttstock. The barrel is rifle buttoned which I feel is a superior rifling method to the more common hammer forged used on many rifles today. In addition it has a user friendly adjustable trigger.

With a 1 in 9 twist rate it should handle the 60 grain VMax/Varget load my AR's are very fond of as well as the excellent BVAC 55 grain VMax loads. Will have to sort out a scope for it but I have several that should work well with it in the scope drawer. I have a decent 6X18 as well as a pretty nice 6x24 available right now I think. I will also order the Tubb's Final Finish bullet kit for this rifle to smooth the throat and remove any burrs or chatter marks. It comes with Weaver mount and I know I have a couple different heights of Burris steel rings hanging around. And I already have a plethora of AR 20 round magazines and even a couple of 5 and 10 rounders.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -- J.R.R.Tolkien

mk_ultra

Re: Mossberg MVP

Post by mk_ultra » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:32 pm

Nice , looking forward to a review . :D
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:54 pm

They need to scrap the tacticool levergun and make a folding stocked scout version of the MVP.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Let's just say I have never seen one I didn't like!

Post by Absintheur » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:18 pm

Seems like it would be a natural for a nice aftermarket stock...wonder if anyone will make one for it
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -- J.R.R.Tolkien

ManikMakki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/ Weeks Later
Diary of the Dead

Post by ManikMakki » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:57 am

Very nice, I look forward to hearing about how she preforms. And as a side note: the Tubb's Final Finish kit isn't really necessary. If you do normal break-in procedures she will shoot just fine. I've never seen a rifle benefit from the Final Finish system, and that's coming from several years of competitive shooting experience.

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:03 am

I'll be eagerly awaiting for a review of this gun. It has peaked my interest. I'd really like to see some more barrel options though, as I'd like to use a gun like this with heavier bullets(We don't do much varminting here in Norway). Hopefully there'll be aftermarket barrels.
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

austin93906
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, zombieland, etc

Mossberg MVP

Post by austin93906 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:24 pm

We have one of these in the store i work at. She feels great, action cycles beautifully, but the mag feels a bit wobbly. Idk if that would impede proper function.

In reality, the stock thats on her feels good and solid. I dont think shed need a new one

Im in lust over it. Id buy it if the tranny in my car didnt just go out.
Braxton wrote:So, How does it feel to be Batman? An obsolete rifle using, shingle shooting Batman, but Batman non the less.
gelgoog wrote:Hey....this is America, if at first you do not succeed keep being lazy until you get bitched at enough that you eventually get it right.
Why u should use Snap Caps

Murgatroy

Post by Murgatroy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:05 pm

I fondled one of these the other day at Academy.

It wanted to follow me home.
Yoda for President

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:22 pm

RickOShea wrote:They need to scrap the tacticool levergun and make a folding stocked scout version of the MVP.
And chamber it in 6.5 gendel and 300 BO. Haut.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

SimonZayne

Post by SimonZayne » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:36 pm

I'd love to see a review of this rifle, I've been interested since I first heard about it.

SimonZayne

Post by SimonZayne » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:54 pm

How is the action with a loaded mag in it?
I've had concerns about the spring tension causing a lot of resistance on the bolt.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:12 pm

SimonZayne wrote:How is the action with a loaded mag in it?
I've had concerns about the spring tension causing a lot of resistance on the bolt.
I should think that would mostly depend on the size and brand of magazine, since some seem to be easier to load/unload than others.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:19 pm

Absintheur wrote:Seems like it would be a natural for a nice aftermarket stock...wonder if anyone will make one for it
Except for the slim barrel nut, it looks similar to a short-action Rem. 700.

I wonder how close they are in size and dimension?

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:00 am

RickOShea wrote:They need to scrap the tacticool levergun and make a folding stocked scout version of the MVP.
First thing I thought too....

SimonZayne

Post by SimonZayne » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:25 pm

RickOShea wrote:
SimonZayne wrote:How is the action with a loaded mag in it?
I should think that would mostly depend on the size and brand of magazine, since some seem to be easier to load/unload than others.
Good point Rick.
I've been calling guns stores all morning and none of them have one in stock.
Come on Absintheur we want moar

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”