Maverick 88 Shotgun

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kiwi Bowhunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series...Well, pretty much all of them!

Maverick 88 Shotgun

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:15 pm

Hey guys,
I've heard it thrown around a bit that the Mossberg Maverick 88 is an inferior shotgun compared to 500's, 870's, etc.
Why is this?
I used the search function but couldn't come up with anything.
I was in talking to my mate at the gun shop looking at 870's, and he suggested a Maverick, mainly for the facts that it's cheaper and lighter than an 870, and you can still get a fair bit of aftermarket support for it.
Lighter is a bonus, and cheaper means I can stock more buckshot to feed the girl ;)

Input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Sean.
I'd rather have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it!

Mr. Warren Peace
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later.. 28 weeks later,

Re: Maverick 88 Shotgun

Post by Mr. Warren Peace » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:01 pm

that isn't true. the mav 88 and mossberg 500 are fraternal twins. i have several mav 88 and mossberg 500, and could swap parts without missing a beat shooting slugs or buckshots. mav 88 is the bastard child of mossberg and will get the job done. if you are looking for an affordable 12 gauge, this is the one. if you need a name on your 12 gauge, then get the mossberg.
"Riddle me this. Riddle me that. Who is afraid of the big black bat?"

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:20 pm

All that B/S comes form the fact the Mav's are made in Mexico and assembled in Texas. The 88 is a good basic entry level shotgun that won't break the bank. Weight wise the difference isn't that great. Get the 88, pattern it, and be happy.

I skipped the 870 and bought an H&R PP. 100+ 3" 00 later she still kicks ass.

lokifz1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Must have Alice in it.

Post by lokifz1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:59 pm

Remington 870 from scattergun tech, accept no substitute.
Beretta accept no substitute.

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:11 pm

I have used the Remington 870 since I was a kid and a few years ago bought a Maverick 88.
It won't replace my loved 870's but when hiking every pound counts and the Maverick is a lot lighter.
cheers
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

Kiwi Bowhunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series...Well, pretty much all of them!

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:50 am

Arkane wrote:All that B/S comes form the fact the Mav's are made in Mexico and assembled in Texas. The 88 is a good basic entry level shotgun that won't break the bank. Weight wise the difference isn't that great. Get the 88, pattern it, and be happy.

I skipped the 870 and bought an H&R PP. 100+ 3" 00 later she still kicks ass.
Ah right, a little bit of 'not made in America' hate. I don't have that problem here in NZ, if I hated everything that wasn't made here all I'd own is meat and dairy products with a house made of pine :D

Good to know there's nothing actually wrong with it!

Cheers,
Sean.

EmbraceTheHate
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Maverick 88 Shotgun

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:12 am

Maverick 88 is a knock off of the mossberg 500. The H&R partner is a knock off of the remington 870 and in my opinion is better built. You can't go wrong with either one. Both are highly customizable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unobtainium

Post by Unobtainium » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:45 am

Kiwi Bowhunter wrote:
Ah right, a little bit of 'not made in America' hate. I don't have that problem here in NZ, if I hated everything that wasn't made here all I'd own is meat and dairy products with a house made of pine :D

Good to know there's nothing actually wrong with it!

Cheers,
Sean.
I remember reading an NZ article a few years back on the Maverick 88s where they were used by one of the councils down south for pest control. If I remember what they wrote, they reported that one of them went through twenty something thousand rounds without much if any maintenance. After that it apparently needed a new firing pin, and was put back into service without any further problems.

I ended up buying one based on the article and the views of a couple of people I knew who spoke highly of them. Got the 20" 7+1, and later on got a second hand 28" mossberg 500 barrel for it, so I can attest that barrels interchange without a problem. It doesn't have the same name factor as the mossberg or the remington, but it does everything I need from a shotgun, and I'd definitely recommend it if you're on a budget.

If you're still looking at a Rem 870 don't get sucked into the "guncity 870". The GC ones are Norinco guns, not remington. You probably know this, but worth mentioning just in case. The QC on the norincos is reportedly a bit spotty, and the cost is similar to the maverick IIRC.

Kiwi Bowhunter

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:19 am

I know the GC870 is Norinco made, that was actually going to be what I was getting rather than an actual Remington.
I've heard good things about the GC870, and 2 of my best mates work there, said if I had a problem with a GC870 I can bring it back and they'd give me a new one free of charge, although they doubted I'd have a problem.
Where in NZ are you, Unobtanium?
I'm in ChCh, where all the action is ;)

Cheers,
Sean.

VooDooDoo
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, 28 weeks, Dawn of the Dead, Zombie, Zombie Strippers, Resident Evil...

Post by VooDooDoo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:31 am

My wife picked up a Maverick 88 (24" field gun with 5 shot magazine tube) as a Christmas present for me 2 years ago.

Besides the made in/assembled in differences, there are subtle differences.

1. The 500 safety is on the back of the receiver within reach of your firing hand's thumb - The 88 has the safety on the trigger guard.
2. The 500 foregrip is mounted on a sliding tube and can be replaced with aftermarket foregrips - The 88s' have their fore end molded with the charging bars, if you want a different fore grip, you need to remove the maverick's fore end assembly and buy a mossberg 500 slide tube ($50-$65), fore end nut ($12) and the fore end of your choice.
3. On field guns, the Maverick comes with ONE choke tube installed (imp cyl), on the 500s' you typically get 3 chokes and a choke tube tool, per shotgun purchase.
4. Internal machining and exterior finish seems more refined on the Mossberg.
donjulio wrote:And honestly, I've thought about it and I can't come up with a better word for you than dick. You are acting like a dick. If you act like a dick, don't be surprised when someone calls you a dick. Dick.

werepig

Post by werepig » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:32 am

I own a Mav 88 and I have used the 28'' barrel for ducks, geese and grouse for the past two years. Never let me down yet, but that being said I would not mind upgrading to a 500 or an 870 as the for-stock is a bit wiggly and the spring inside the tube rattles when I walk with it loaded or unloaded, but like I said I've never had it fail on me.
Weapon: Cold Steel Gladius. Partner: Olivia Wilde. Them Song: Clint Mansell - Requiem for a Dream Remix!

I prep for zombies, because I like shooty-stabby things,and for the lulz.

Unobtainium

Post by Unobtainium » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Kiwi Bowhunter wrote:I know the GC870 is Norinco made, that was actually going to be what I was getting rather than an actual Remington.
I've heard good things about the GC870, and 2 of my best mates work there, said if I had a problem with a GC870 I can bring it back and they'd give me a new one free of charge, although they doubted I'd have a problem.
Where in NZ are you, Unobtanium?
I'm in ChCh, where all the action is ;)

Cheers,
Sean.
Fair enough, if you've got contacts there, they'll probably sort out any issues that might crop up with the norincos (and with luck you might get a decent discount). I'm definitely not knocking the Norincos either, I've had two of their sks's, an m14 clone, and a number of their bolt and semi .22s. All of them have been great, but sometimes the quality can be a bit on the rough side....

I'm in Wellington, where everyone expected the action to be.... You guys got the disaster everyone had planned for us.

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:12 pm

My mom bought a used Maverick 88 used ten years ago or so. It works fine.

VinnieD

Post by VinnieD » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:30 am

My Maverick works just fine, great accuracy, and every bit as reliable as the 500. I like the crossbolt safety too. If you want a real quality improvement over that, maybe it's worth it to go up the 590.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:46 am

Maverick (500 clone-ish) vs Parnder Pump (870 clone) all comes down to brand loyalty really. I have heard better things about the PP over the Maverick, but they both have very solid reputations as budget shotguns that will do the job.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Kiwi Bowhunter

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:01 am

Well, it seems like the general consensus is that the 88 is a fine gun, on par with 870 copies.
I'll do some price comparisons, vs. mod-ability, weight, etc. Hopefully shouldn't be too long before I have a new toy! :)

Cheers,
Sean.

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:41 am

Kiwi Bowhunter wrote:Well, it seems like the general consensus is that the 88 is a fine gun, on par with 870 copies.
I'll do some price comparisons, vs. mod-ability, weight, etc. Hopefully shouldn't be too long before I have a new toy! :)

Cheers,
Sean.
The Maverick 88 and most newer Mossberg 500's have a pinned forearm that is non replacable by the end user so as far as modibility it is less than a Remington 870 or clone.
cheers
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:33 am

The bead on my Pardner fell off shooting slugs the other day :cry:

Gonna go have it replaced but still sucks.If that had happened in SHTF with my shotty as my primary (which would never happen) I would be screwed.
Last edited by AS556 on Fri May 11, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:45 pm

AK47Heaven wrote:The bead on my Pardner fell of shooting slugs the other day :cry:

Gonna go have it replaced but still sucks.If that had happened in SHTF with my shotty as my primary (which would never happen) I would be screwed.
I think you would only be screwed if you can't improvise. I am sure when the bead fell off, it left a mark on the barrel so you would know where to attach a homemade sight.
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:44 pm

Very true, I just doubt anything I could improvise would have the longevity of the factory sight.I'm going to have it replaced with a fiber optic one.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:10 am

AK47Heaven wrote:Very true, I just doubt anything I could improvise would have the longevity of the factory sight.I'm going to have it replaced with a fiber optic one.
Look at it as an excuse to go ahead and do it now. :D

...and you don't have to worry about uninstalling the old sight. :P
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

lost_wreckage

Post by lost_wreckage » Tue May 08, 2012 10:27 am

The Maverick 88 is a fine shotgun. It is manufactured by Mossberg, so it is inaccurate to call it a Mossberg knockoff. The differences, from what I understand, are in the receiver and the forend assembly. All other parts are interchangeable with Mossberg parts. This is the "poor man's" shotgun, which is exactly why I own one. Haha

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Tue May 08, 2012 10:57 am

lost_wreckage wrote:The Maverick 88 is a fine shotgun. It is manufactured by Mossberg, so it is inaccurate to call it a Mossberg knockoff. The differences, from what I understand, are in the receiver and the forend assembly. All other parts are interchangeable with Mossberg parts. This is the "poor man's" shotgun, which is exactly why I own one. Haha
MAVs are decent guns - but they are not manufactured by the same plant that makes the regular branded Mossbergs. The Mossberg Mexico plant in Monterrey produces all of the Maverick parts out of foreign sourced steel and those parts are shipped north of the border to the US and assembled in their Eagle Pass Texas facility. That is what lets Mossberg keep the price low on the MAV line. FYI - even Mossberg Sales Reps call the Mavericks "Mossberg Clones" and "Mexican Mossbergs". It's a knockoff.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”