carving/wood buring

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dasho101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Range 15

carving/wood buring

Post by Dasho101 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:29 am

On the 10th i ordered a a mosen nagant rifle from aim surplus. (spelling mite be wrong). I have a C&R license so I'm waiting for it to come to my door. My question is... I have name and lil saying i wanna carve/burn in to the stock, too those of you who have done both. What is easier to do for some one whos writing hand is not all that steady (i hurt my arm way back when and lost some sense of touch)?
Jeriah wrote:
My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.
Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: carving/wood buring

Post by MaconCJ7 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:47 am

Pay someone else to do it.

If you do have feeling issues in your hand, and you're worried about the outcome of the work, pay someone else to do it. I'm sure the local trophy shop wouldn't mind, just remove the action and barrel, hanging them only a bare stock.

Dasho101

Post by Dasho101 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:12 am

lol i would except part of the whole point is i do it... know it sounds strange but its gonna be for my better half so i thank it would be more special to her if i did it.... plus most local trophy chops dont do engraving in cyrillic script.
Jeriah wrote:

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:33 am

Dasho101 wrote:lol i would except part of the whole point is i do it... know it sounds strange but its gonna be for my better half so i thank it would be more special to her if i did it.... plus most local trophy chops dont do engraving in cyrillic script.
I'm feeling ya. How's about a wrist brace? It would remove dexterity, but it would help keep your hand steady. Then it would just be patience to make it right. Stencil what you want, cut inside the lines. I would count out a Dremel with your hand the way it is and stick with hand tools. Local hobby shop should have wood engraving kits. Patience is your friend.

m ellis allen

Post by m ellis allen » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:30 pm

wood burning is a lot easier, with either one practice on some wood of similar species/grain mosins were birch i believe, and dont buy cheap tools.
zombies are notoriously bad drivers
lunicy wrote:Mosins doesn't have Kool aid. It would have to be vodka and coffee,mixed with cosmoline, made with mud, in a hat. Mosins are too rough for kool aid.

Dasho101

Post by Dasho101 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:15 pm

thank you you three... will use my brace (hate it but it dose hel) and wood burning its sounds like it is.... thanks for the imput... hopefly pics soonish
Jeriah wrote:

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:39 pm

'nuther idea - find a trophy shop and have them laser engrave it. I've got a muzzleloader going to a friend as a present getting the stock laser engraved with a graphic I pulled off the web.

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Let's just say I have never seen one I didn't like!

Post by Absintheur » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:30 am

The local laser engraving shop did this for me on a rifle I had done for a giveaway, charged me 20 bucks...

you might check in your area, a lot of places have started doing the wood laser engraved plaques and such...
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -- J.R.R.Tolkien

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:10 pm

There's a gent on another forum I frequent that does some really awesome laser work.

Dasho101

Post by Dasho101 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:10 pm

rifle came a few days ago (sorry no pics yet camera is hateing me) im gonna start the work tomorrow... will post pics asap when finished
Jeriah wrote:

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”