Ruger 10/22 Essentials

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ScrapDog
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Last Man On Earth, I Am Legend, Shaun of The Dead, Land of The Dead, Last of The Living, Dawn of The Dead, Zombieland, Night of The Living Dead

Ruger 10/22 Essentials

Post by ScrapDog » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:52 pm

So I bought a new Ruger 10/22 a few months back and I bought 2 extra 10 rd mags. Then I got itchy and bought 3 of the new 25 rd mags made by Ruger the BX-25 ones. (They haven't got here yet) If nothing else they will make plinking fun as can be. I have a question and I've looked at other threads but I'm thinking. Is it worth buying any upgrades for the Ruger 10/22? Anything essential that I can't live without? I was looking at getting an Archangel Marauder stock but I just think it isn't for me. I think I'd take a gray man approach at the moment and carry my wood furniture 10/22. I've seen some upgrades like an extended mag release that look interesting if nothing else. I was thinking of getting one of those and maybe a scope as I don't have the hawkeyes I did when I was 10. And I will definitely add a sling as that's a necessity in a rifle... I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

As far as post TEOTWAWKI I thought that carrying the little plinker might not be a bad idea as I am fairly good at dispatching small game like rabbits with it as it is. I don't intend on getting into a firefight anyway and at close quarters I have a Smith and Wesson J-Frame or a Smith and Wesson 9mm that would do the trick.

Any thoughts? Is a Marauder kit that awesome or does it make a Gray man firearm look tactical enough to draw attention? My own thought is that it might but the cool factor entices me. That being said saving my money for a real AR sounds more prudent... but some other upgrades like a scope might be worth the investment. Any thoughts? Forgive me if it seems as though I'm asking questions that I've already made my mind up on. I haven't really I'm just thinking about it... and there's an old saying. Beware the danger of cool things... and I don't want to spend $500 upgrading a $200 rifle. :) Ebay has kits that replace the crews and things with shiny stainless steel and even titanium I believe for about $15... pointless?
Frozen zombies pose little trouble until they thaw. So for 4 months or so Wisconsin is safe from the roaming hordes. Unless they develop an antifreeze agent in their bodies. What are the odds of that though?

JTNieman

Re: Ruger 10/22 Essentials

Post by JTNieman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:22 pm

Reliable mags - check

Good sights - nay. Their buckhorn bullshit sights suck donkey nuts. If you want irons, I suggest Tech Sights, if you want a red dot, Aimpoint Micros rule. A cheaper one will work decently, given that it's a rimfire, but you might have issues returning to zero, getting fogged up or moisture inside it, and other issues like that. Up to you of course.

Sling - find something that works well.

There are things some people do to 'accurize' the weapon, such as barrel work, getting a professional to recrown it, bedding it or getting a different stock, but it shouldn't be bad. Is 10/22. It shoots. Good ammo will do better than shit ammo. It's all cheap, comparatively, so experiment and see :)

The rest is just playing Barbie.

ScrapDog
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Last Man On Earth, I Am Legend, Shaun of The Dead, Land of The Dead, Last of The Living, Dawn of The Dead, Zombieland, Night of The Living Dead

Post by ScrapDog » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:27 pm

Ha yeah I don't screw around with Mags and my first rules for buying upgrades for firearms go like this 1) buy more bullets 2) buy more magazines 3) make sure 1 and 2 are both good ones.

Just so everyone knows Midwayusa is running a sale on Marauder kits through tomorrow http://www.midwayusa.com/product/867542 ... etic-black" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In case you want one :)
Frozen zombies pose little trouble until they thaw. So for 4 months or so Wisconsin is safe from the roaming hordes. Unless they develop an antifreeze agent in their bodies. What are the odds of that though?

PotatoMuncher
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later
Anything Romero
Zombi 2
etc

Post by PotatoMuncher » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:37 pm

Ive always wanted a Ruger 10/22. If I ever do get one, Id make sure to slap on a Butler Creek folding stock, a cheap little scope on it, and SBR it.
In essence, it'd end up looking like this dude's.
ZSC:40
Greater New Orleans

ScrapDog

Post by ScrapDog » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:40 pm

Wow that's awesome! Maybe someday I'll do something like that but not today...

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:46 pm

The Volquartsen Trigger assembly is worth it.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:58 pm

PotatoMuncher wrote:Ive always wanted a Ruger 10/22. If I ever do get one, Id make sure to slap on a Butler Creek folding stock, a cheap little scope on it, and SBR it.
Got one -exactly- like that at work. Same stock and barrel length, but with one of our cans.

PotatoMuncher
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later
Anything Romero
Zombi 2
etc

Post by PotatoMuncher » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:09 pm

JamesCannon wrote:
PotatoMuncher wrote:Ive always wanted a Ruger 10/22. If I ever do get one, Id make sure to slap on a Butler Creek folding stock, a cheap little scope on it, and SBR it.
Got one -exactly- like that at work. Same stock and barrel length, but with one of our cans.
ZSC:40
Greater New Orleans

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:13 pm

PotatoMuncher wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:
:lol: :lol:

Domino

Post by Domino » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:13 am

I'll second what some others have said here...

- Good sights/scope ---Tech Sights are just awesome on these rifles. Very practical and usable, it has one peep for 50m and one for 100m. Just zero the one for 50 and flip to 100 when you need it. As far as scopes go, I like my Burris 2-7X26 ballistic plex for .22's (as it has hash marks for 50, 75, 100, 125, and 150m) but the new Nikon P22 2-8X32 with its BDC reticle looks to as good or better. No point in getting more magnification with a .22LR and since the range is so limited and the trajectory is basically limited to 150M. The BDC and Ballistic Plex scopes make a lot of sense for practical .22LR's and a lot of people overlook the advantages of them.

- Good Trigger --- Volquartsen, Power Custom, Kidd, ect ect. Find one that fits your budget and go for it. The drop in units are more expensive than just buying the sear/hammer/springs and installing them yourself so just decide what you are willing to do. I have a Power Custom do-it-yourself install and overall I am happy for the amount I spent, much better than the factory trigger but still no match trigger. Its ok as my 10/22 isn't a benchrest gun.

- Good Mags --- The factory 10 rounders are best so at least have a few on hand. The BX-25's should be reliable as well but don't count on them until you can prove it. I have had good luck with the TI-25 composites and Butler Creek steel lips too.

- Good Ammo --- No point in turning a fun event into a frustrating one just to save a few pennies. Try a few boxes of various ammo and settle on what works best. CCI Mini-Mags 40g CPRN are pretty legendary and that is pretty much all I use these days. Not only do they seem to be the most reliable and very accurate in my guns, but its also my preferred .22LR round due to its good penetration. Find what works best for your purposes and guns and buy a bunch of it. Avoid the cheap stuff unless that happens to be what works best.

Anything else is just extra or personal preference IMHO. I personally see no reason to put my rifle in an AR look alike shell just for looks since the 10/22 will never operate like an AR. If you want that then I suggest you just sell your 10/22 and get a MP-22 or something. I like to keep my gun light and simple, it actually works as a pretty good mini-AK analog in its current form.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:20 am

I just got a 10/22 CRR on saturday and immediately ditched the stock sights for Tech Sights TSR-100 model. They are awesome! Very accurate and easy to use- great sight picture for target work. I also added a Choate upper handguard, some QD sling swivels, and a Volquartzen extractor before I even fired the gun. A Tactical Innovations flash hider is coming just so I can make it look like a tiny M14. I am using dual mag-couplers on my 6 mags I have and they work great as well. I'll get some pics up tomorrow hopefully, but here is the gun I based it off, exactly like this:

I call mine the "Micro-14" :mrgreen:
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

WY_Not

Post by WY_Not » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:34 am

Are you scoping it or sticking with iron sights?
If iron sights, take a look at Tech-Sights
or
NoDak Spud NDS-26 Rear Sight
Use the NDS-23 front sight base for .920" bull barrels.
Use the NDS-40 front sight base for standard factory contour barrels.

Standard upgrades for any and all 10/22's I've bought so far for self and kids:

EmbraceTheHate
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Ruger 10/22 Essentials

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:49 pm

Everytime I read something about the 10/22s I want to get one sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScrapDog

Post by ScrapDog » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:07 pm

I've ordered sling swivels and the TechSight TSR200. WOO!

Still looking at other options. The Volquartsen Trigger assembly looks cool but I fear its a bit much for me right now... especially after buying the Tech Sights.

sarky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Shawn of the Dead

Post by sarky » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:15 pm

The Volquartsen trigger group is SOOOOOOO worth it! Once you put it in the first thing you will notice is how tight your groups will become.
20 years USN
SERE Instructor
P-3 Flight Engineer
Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor

ScrapDog

Post by ScrapDog » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:11 pm

I'll think about it. What about Hornet trigger groups. They are about 1/2 the price of a volquartsen group and reviews seem good. http://www.amazon.com/Hornet-Custom-BRT ... 974&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: Would the Volquartsen Trigger Kit be as good or almost as good as a volquartsen trigger group?

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:50 pm

Some species of extended magazine release will help a lot with the extended magazines, but makes releasing the flush fit rotary ten round magazines a little clumsy. Getting one of those trick magazine bases the stick two of the standard rotary magazine together base to base will let you use them with the extended magazine release.

Also makes the weapon act more like a lot of semi auto center fire rifles with paddle type magazine releases for training similarities. i.e. AK series

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:52 pm

Love the CRR, it comes with the paddle mag release already installed! :D

ScrapDog

Post by ScrapDog » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:32 pm

Yeah I've been looking at extended mag release levers. And I wish I had gotten a crr but when I got mine it was on sale for like 190 so I'm cool with it... kinda wish I had it in stainless though... but oh well

speaking of 10/22s and zombies has anyone else seen these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-10-22-Muz ... 4ab3873a5a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-10-22-SKU ... 3a6fb6616a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just cool accessories. I haven't bought them... yet.

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:39 pm

ScrapDog wrote:Yeah I've been looking at extended mag release levers. And I wish I had gotten a crr but when I got mine it was on sale for like 190 so I'm cool with it... kinda wish I had it in stainless though... but oh well

speaking of 10/22s and zombies has anyone else seen these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-10-22-Muz ... 4ab3873a5a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-10-22-SKU ... 3a6fb6616a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just cool accessories. I haven't bought them... yet.
I special ordered my CRR from Dicks- $209, delivered within a week

sarky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Shawn of the Dead

Post by sarky » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:36 pm

I have installed 6 Volquartsen trigger kits in the past 2 years and 1 into a 10-22 Mag. It is not very difficult to do. It is also cheaper than getting the entire trigger group w/housing
20 years USN
SERE Instructor
P-3 Flight Engineer
Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor

ScrapDog

Post by ScrapDog » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:45 pm

Just discovered mine already has an extended mag release. The kind like on that crr pic. I don't mind the trigger but I haven't shot it in a while so I'll have to go out shooting and see. I remember disliking the sights though. Looking at new stock options. The butler creek is intriguing but I'm just kind of looking. These things are pretty cool. :D

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:20 am

I would just get good iron sights or a red dot for optics and I persoally am looking at getting the paddle release, when things get cold, the flush is a pain to operate with gloves or dumb fingers.
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:29 am

Suppressor. I know I'm late to the game, but suppressor.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”