Mossberg at it again < plenty of derp inside>

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

nateted4
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Mossberg at it again < plenty of derp inside>

Post by nateted4 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:44 pm

Without the hideous stock it might be SASS/CAS legal. That could be a market.
Raptor wrote:Carrying weapons openly and dressing in cammies (even if legal in the area) will get you killed.
Kommander wrote:So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:52 pm

nateted4 wrote:Without the hideous stock it might be SASS/CAS legal. That could be a market.
If so, it'd only be legal until someone tries to use it, and it is contested. I'm pretty sure it'd be the cause of a rule revision ASAP in such a case.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Just get rid of the fiber-optic Williams sights and make it in a pistol caliber and it should be GTG for CAS.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MVegas
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MVegas » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:09 pm

It makes me sad to even know that stock exists. Railed forend? Okay. Fine.
But that "buttstock" is a fucking abomination.

This from a guy with synthetic furniture on one of his levers.
Winter is Coming

nateted4
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by nateted4 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:20 pm

JamesCannon wrote:
nateted4 wrote:Without the hideous stock it might be SASS/CAS legal. That could be a market.
If so, it'd only be legal until someone tries to use it, and it is contested. I'm pretty sure it'd be the cause of a rule revision ASAP in such a case.
You're right, it certainly wouldn't be in the spirit of CAS.
Raptor wrote:Carrying weapons openly and dressing in cammies (even if legal in the area) will get you killed.
Kommander wrote:So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:31 pm

I feel like Mossberg just raped my grandfather.
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:56 pm

gelgoog wrote:
Bunsen wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:Wtf. Just Wtf.
Save some of that WTF for when they stick a ginormous muzzle brake on it. You just know they're going to.
You mean when they come out with a model that replaces the lever with a chainsaw handle? :twisted:
Nah, you need to mount the chainsaw grip up front, so you can hip fire it like Gecko45 channeling Gunsmoke.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:11 pm

Oneswunk wrote:I feel like Mossberg just raped my grandfather.
I'm fairly sure that's in their mission statement somewhere...

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Nothing is sacred anymore... :shock:
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

AmnJoker333
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead

Post by AmnJoker333 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:28 am

In other news, geologists monitored a 6.2 earthquake that traveled throughout the entire American southwest that was later attributed to every Old West gunslinger rolling in their fucking graves.

What next? A godddamned tactical rail for a Colt SAA?
AR-15/Glock/.45 vs 9mm neutral/pie

Domino

Post by Domino » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:35 am

Man, pair that bad boy with the Stoeger Double Defense and a tactical Single Action Revolver with picatinny rails, laser sight, and bayonet mount and that would be da shit!

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:37 am

AmnJoker333 wrote:
What next? A godddamned tactical rail for a Colt SAA?
SHHHHHHHH!!!! They might hear you :evil:

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:53 am

BUT BUT!!! BUT!??BUT!???
WHY!!!?????

Seriously. Why?

No living horse would ever let a 'cowboy' carrying that thing come anywhere close to it's saddle.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:28 am

RickOShea wrote:I like Grizzly's better:
Oh yes, I WILL be getting a Grizzly railed forend when they finally start selling them.
That's actually really nice looking. The perfect eye bleach for Mossberg's latest gunbortion.

I can see a lot of reasons for wanting a "tactical" (read: "effective fighting") version of a levergun. Residents in gun ban states are one example. In Chicago, you can't own a semi-auto rifle, but you can own a levergun; frankly if I spend much longer here I might be tempted into getting one, for doing those things a pistol and a shotgun can't do, and for fighting my way out to the storage unit where the real shit has to live. But beyond that, there are probably people out there who aren't into shooting modern firearms recreationally, but enjoy Cowboy Action shooting or hunting with a levergun, and recognize that since the levergun is what they're familiar with, what they enjoy shooting enough to train with, that it's what they'd end up using for defense if necessary. It doesn't make a lot of sense for that person to go buy an AR for $1000+, mags, ammo, web gear, and training with a new platform, when they're already proficient with, and stock ammo for, a .30-30 or .357 levergun. But they might still want to have a white light on their rifle for checking bumps in the night, a red dot for fast target acquisition, and a modern two-point sling to hold their rifle at the ready when using their hands for other things (or transitioning to a revolver, say).

Personally, I don't see the need for a railed fore-end to do this, though. The RDS goes on a standard factory scope rail, the sling attaches using Blue Force Gear UWLs if there's no swivel in the right spot (or just screw one into the wood!), and the white light you can either clamp to the barrel using one of these, or just screw a cheap piece of rail into the wood fore-end.

Trebor had a good article on the Detroit Firearms Examiner about using a levergun for defense:

http://www.examiner.com/firearms-in-det ... efense-use" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:56 am

Other than the nasty looking stock (and hey it may actually be comfortable and ergonomic, though I doubt it) I like the looks of it. If Mossberg can bring this out in .357 at a decent price I would be interested in getting one and putting a normal butt stock on. Also I think a tactical SA revolver would be cool. Very Firefly.

AUA

Post by AUA » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:19 am

ultra magnus wrote:Other than the nasty looking stock (and hey it may actually be comfortable and ergonomic, though I doubt it) I like the looks of it. If Mossberg can bring this out in .357 at a decent price I would be interested in getting one and putting a normal butt stock on. Also I think a tactical SA revolver would be cool. Very Firefly.
Except, Firefly armaments were more 'Western with space-y window dressing'.

Even Vera was intended to be semi-steampunk. This Mossberg is just plain wrong, IMO.

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:28 am

Lets not bring firefly into this clusterfuck they already raped my grandfather, fuck is nothing sacred.
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:11 am

Domino wrote:Man, pair that bad boy with the Stoeger Double Defense and a tactical Single Action Revolver with picatinny rails, laser sight, and bayonet mount and that would be da shit!
Kinda like this?

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:14 am

Buntline length barrelled SAA with rails top and bottom.
One of these suckas on the top (in long eye relief of course)...

...aaaaand one of these underneath...

(1950lumens)

...then just add silver bullets. Instant "gamechanging" nightstand gun. Those cowboy werewolves aren't going to kill themselves y'know.

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:31 am

I already have the single-point sling, ghost ring rear sight and EOTech....
.....I'll get started on adding a white light and "pain compliance" muzzle device.

ETA: I have some Ninja-black micarta grips around here somewhere. But I think I'm going to need some G10 golfballs.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

E

Post by E » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:39 am

raxar wrote:I didn't think it was possible to shudder and laugh at the same time, but mossberg proved me wrong

anyway, this should help

it's the new pellet gun I spotted at wallyworld last week. Yes, it's pellet/bb gun, not airsoft. It gave me the warm/fuzzies.
I read your sigline as part of your post, and I laughed like an idiot :lol:

but on a serious note, that just doesn't even look good. I'm sure it functions ok, but it looks like doodie
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Once you dread potential danger
You are bound by fear...
Fear is the only enemy.
Face the enemy

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:35 pm

What are the design guys at Mossberg smoking and who gave the greenlight to that ugly thing ?

Is there really a market for tactical lever guns like that ?

USMCGrunt/USAFCATM

Post by USMCGrunt/USAFCATM » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:59 pm

To be honest, I have yet to meet someone face to face that actually has one of Mossberg's idiot offerings to include the Rolling Blunder, Load Hocker, that silly-assed .22 with a .50 BMG Barrett muzzle brake on it or this latest abortion lever action. Actually, that's probably a good thing since I can promise you without question, without falter, without fail, the day I do see one of these idiotic things in person, I will laugh right in their owners face. Oh, I'm sure they're not going to like it, probably think I'm an A-hole but they're not going to do thing one about it other than just have to deal with it and go away.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:04 pm

I think most folks who buy the Mossberg guns with the goofy looking muzzle stuff, take the crap off before actually shooting them.

I would hope they do that anyway.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”