Ordered a Arsenal SGL21 Ak today

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

EmbraceTheHate
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Re: Ordered a Arsenal SGL21 Ak today

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:18 am

Most that i have talked to about Aks said put a sling on it and thats the only mod you will ever need lol. I was honestly thinking a red dot or a low power scope. I think ill just shoot the hell out of it with iron sights and go from there.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:21 am

EmbraceTheHate wrote:Most that i have talked to about Aks said put a sling on it and thats the only mod you will ever need lol. I was honestly thinking a red dot or a low power scope. I think ill just shoot the hell out of it with iron sights and go from there.
+1

I would say the only thing you should do other than a good, quiet sling right away is a Tech Sights AK/SKS Target Post, and paint that white. It'll give you a narrower, high-visibility front sight for a crisper, more accurate sight picture. $5.

Also, I am still in the middle of some calibrations on this, but if you zero at 25M with the rear sight on "2", it should allow you to get a 25/200m zero which means 3" high at 100M, dead on at 200M, and 4.5" or so of drop at 300M. This gets you out to the ranges where you can still distinguish a human silhouette with the naked eye, and the effective range of the round. Not sure if to get the results you then set it on the battle sight or what. I'll confirm when I try it this weekend.
Bullet Weight: .310 Cal, 123 grn
Ballistic Coeff: 0.256
Bullet Weight: 123
Velocity: 2450
Sight Height: 1.500

Zero At 25 yards will give you 2" high at 100 yards, 2" drop at 200 yards, and 18" drop at 300 yards
Zero At 50 yards will give you relatively flat to 100 and a 7" drop at 200. Then a 24" drop at 300.
Zero At 100 yards will give you 6.5" drop at 200 and a 24" drop at 300.
Zero At 200 yards will give you 2" high at 50, 3" high at 100, zero at 200, 4.5" drop at 300, and a 42" drop at 400 yards.
http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.p ... alashnikov
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:09 pm

AKFTW wrote:I use the Tech Sights AK/SKS Target Post on all of my AKs. It's a smaller diameter front sight post, allows you to see more of the target and get a better sight picture. $5 well spent. I also paint mine white with Testors model paint, the white front sight really "pops" out, great sight picture. http://www.tech-sights.com/access.htm

-1. Was ordering a Tech Sight for my Model 60 so I figured I would throw an AK target post in the basket, and one for my buddy. The Tech Sights are great. The AK target posts seem like garbage. They are unfinished, and look like they are made of terrible quality metal, covered with metal dust and shavings. The flat part of the post that you use to screw it in is over sized so an AK sight tool doesn't work on it. Not a big deal though as they were only $5 each. Didn't end up caring for the new sight picture anyways.

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:22 pm

In case no one has mentioned it, I personally hate the stock AK grip...

Get a set of Hogues,

I'm sold on them, most comfy grip ever.... YMMV though, but I have big meat mittens....

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:31 pm

ultra magnus wrote:
AKFTW wrote:I use the Tech Sights AK/SKS Target Post on all of my AKs. It's a smaller diameter front sight post, allows you to see more of the target and get a better sight picture. $5 well spent. I also paint mine white with Testors model paint, the white front sight really "pops" out, great sight picture. http://www.tech-sights.com/access.htm

-1. Was ordering a Tech Sight for my Model 60 so I figured I would throw an AK target post in the basket, and one for my buddy. The Tech Sights are great. The AK target posts seem like garbage. They are unfinished, and look like they are made of terrible quality metal, covered with metal dust and shavings. The flat part of the post that you use to screw it in is over sized so an AK sight tool doesn't work on it. Not a big deal though as they were only $5 each. Didn't end up caring for the new sight picture anyways.
The over size end of the post is a no-brainer, just pinch it with some pliers to the diameter you need. I painted all mine as soon as I got them anyway so I don't care that the metal is unfinished. YMMV, but for my uses they work great.

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:18 am

AKFTW wrote:
ultra magnus wrote:

The over size end of the post is a no-brainer, just pinch it with some pliers to the diameter you need. I painted all mine as soon as I got them anyway so I don't care that the metal is unfinished. YMMV, but for my uses they work great.

No I understand the bottom. The top portion. The flat part that a sight tool grabs. It's over sized.

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:28 am

ultra magnus wrote:
AKFTW wrote:
ultra magnus wrote:

No I understand the bottom. The top portion. The flat part that a sight tool grabs. It's over sized.
Odd. Worked with mine.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:59 am

I used to run WASR's, as I was young, dumb, and just wasting ammo. Fairly reliable crap, those.

I sold them all to buy a pair of SGL21's for May's MilCopp class, and put VCAS/mash hook slings on them. Excellent rifles!

Sights: run stock for a while, get used to them, they're OK. Later, add the Ultimak rail/Aimpoint Micro for speed.

Mags: steel milsurp are best value, Bulgy or bakelite milsurp are best durability. Not military surplus = not worth having period.

Sling: VCAS/mash hook for modern carbine applications. Click pic for rear sling point upgrade info.

These are the best AK's you can legally get in the US, IMO. Add RDS/tac light/modern 2-point sling for total carbine effectiveness.

Get quality AK tactical training, and be as prepared as possible in your pre-class rifle training.

You've got the best basic rifle, get the training that lets you utilize it mosr effectively. TRAINING > TOOLS
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:22 pm

Agreed Kutter, SGLs are awesome. I have a WASR that is pretty awesome and exhibits none of the typical WASR issues and shoots well, and with my solid wood sidefolder upgrade it's got almost everything I could want. All the same, I am looking to pick up an SGL-21 94 this summer when I save up for one. I love solid sidefolding stocks and 21 94 is the best of the best. I'll also get the FSB replaced by an AKM one and have the barrel threaded to 14mm so I can use an RPK74 or Type 84 flash hider and save some weight/length up front over the loud and flashy (but effective) 74 brake. It'll look like this:
The Bulgarian 24mm flash hiders are not the best FH option IMO, I've seen reports of them opening up groups compared to the 74 brake.

EmbraceTheHate

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:37 pm

Well some bad news I had to take care of some personal stuff that came up and had to cancel on the sgl :(

On a better note everything is paid off so I'm in the market again lmao. Now I have been seeing some other aks that have caught my eye for 300 or less then a arsenal. Should I go that route or is the sgls worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrangler

Post by Wrangler » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:59 pm

A good alternate to an Arsenal is an IAC. I love my IAC Polish Underfolder. Still my Arsenal is a much smoother weapon.
When I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take along Samuel Colt...

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:22 am

EmbraceTheHate wrote:Now I have been seeing some other aks that have caught my eye for 300 or less then a arsenal. Should I go that route or is the sgls worth it?
The cool thing about AK's is the huge number of variations of the same basic rifle.

The shitty thing about AK's is the huge number of variations of the same basic rifle.

Depending on what you want the rifle to do, you may want to look at other options.

-Do you want a rifle that shoots 4MOA? Or do you not really care about hitting your target?

-Is this rifle just a bullet-hose to you? Is it a range toy or a working carbine/defensive tool?

You can get any number of lesser AK's, depending upon your budget, but good luck finding a better one.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:28 am

If you're back in the market why not switch it up and try a VEPR?I hear good things about them.This one looks good.

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/h/u/humberto_a ... G_5556.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EmbraceTheHate

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:33 pm

AK47Heaven wrote:If you're back in the market why not switch it up and try a VEPR?I hear good things about them.This one looks good.

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/h/u/humberto_a ... G_5556.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
now where could I get one of those?

This is the one that actually caught my eye on buds
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... Fe+7.62x39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:00 pm

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =269136393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Heres one.VEPR is top notch same as Arsenal.

I like the gas block on the one you posted from Buds, it is Romanian which some will bash but I honest to god have had such awesome luck with my Romanian WASR.It has matching serial numbers on all parts, the fit and finish is very good,the mag well was NOT machined by a drunk monkey, it DOES have a canted front sight, but it doesn't seem to affect working accuracy,it has the proofmark from the Cugir Factory, and is just a beast in general. 2.5k rounds thru it with 2-3 malfunctions which were ammo related (bad primers).Mine was made in 1985.Added a Hogue grip,74 brake,stained my furniture, put the old military sling on and its good to go for me.Functional rifle for 600 all things included.

(Not counting the retarded amount of money I spent on a UTG side rail mount, shitty eotech clone,tapco stock and furniture, and UTG flashlight)

Oh, my n00b days...

It's back to "stock" looking now.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Yeah, but that WASR at Bud's is covered in Crapco. Read the list of US parts they list.

That VEPR looked nice, but even more expensive than an Arsenal. Nice mods, if that's what you want it to do, though!

I guess the question remains: What do you want your AK to do?

Do you want a cheaper range toy(less accuracy, more volume of fire burned through it)?

Or a professional level weapon(more accuracy and top-notch function)?

The difference is a few hundred dollars.

EmbraceTheHate

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:17 pm

I'd like a professional accurate rifle I don't want no tacticool bullshit. I guess arsenal is the choice then.....

AS556

Post by AS556 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:23 am

VEPR or Arsenal you mean :wink:

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”