Ordered a Arsenal SGL21 Ak today

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BigSal

Re: Ordered a Arsenal SGL21 Ak today

Post by BigSal » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:20 pm

They are great rifles, congrats on the purchase! Do yourself a favor and stay clear of US-Palm magazines or any magazines held together with glue. Hatchtrikk is correct in his recommendation, its hard to beat the deal AIM has right now. You may want to consider picking up the ultimak rail and a RDS as my only issue with the platform has been the iron sights. Still you made the right choice, post pictures when it arrives!!!

:!:

RatDrall

Post by RatDrall » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:21 am

m ellis allen wrote:
cmbtmedic3 wrote:Do yourself a favor and get US Palm mags. .
$30 for one mag (us palm)...or $30 for 3 steel surplus mags....hmmm
He just spent $800 on an AK, he can afford to pay for better magazines, with new springs, that won't dent when dropped on a rock and cease feeding the weapon.

US Palm AK30s are the PMAG of AKs, but are thicker and have a steel cage inside. Get them.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:27 am

RatDrall wrote:
m ellis allen wrote:
He just spent $800 on an AK, he can afford to pay for better magazines, with new springs, that won't dent when dropped on a rock and cease feeding the weapon.

US Palm AK30s are the PMAG of AKs, but are thicker and have a steel cage inside. Get them.
He put it on 3 month layaway, and he should get mags that aren't held together with glue and lack metal feed lips and other reinforcements. Get some real military mags that have been proven in combat, unless you're just looking for an expensive range magazine. If you want the real "Pmags" of AK mags, get some Bakelites or Circle 10 waffle mags, those WORK!
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:28 am

RatDrall wrote:
m ellis allen wrote:

Like I said before I have one of these AKs. I use standard military surplus steel mags and they work great. There is no need to "upgrade" to plastic mags. However if one does want to upgrade my understanding is that the Bulgy circle 10 "waffle mags" are the way to go. U S Palm mags are known to have issues such as weak feed lips and rear locking live. Dave has written about them several times.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... m#p1810279" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

Post by AmirMortal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:37 am

Traditional AR mags are aluminum, are known for being delicate, and are prone to deformation. Traditional AK mags are heavy guage steel, are not particularly delicate or prone to easy deformation. They are welded together, and are able to be disassembled for cleaning and maintenance, unlike the Palms.

Bulgarian "circle 10 or 20" mags are the Pmags of the AK world. Light weight, very sturdy and able to be maintained by the end user.

m ellis allen

Post by m ellis allen » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:32 pm

AmirMortal wrote: Traditional AK mags are heavy guage steel, are not particularly delicate or prone to easy deformation. They are welded together,
exactly. id like to see someone use a US PALM mag as a hammer, or a bottle opener, or dropped from a hieght of more than 20 feet and not break. and yes ive seen all of these done with steel surplus mags with no problems. seems to me if steel mags where a problem they wouldnt have lasted what... going on.. 70 years?
zombies are notoriously bad drivers
lunicy wrote:Mosins doesn't have Kool aid. It would have to be vodka and coffee,mixed with cosmoline, made with mud, in a hat. Mosins are too rough for kool aid.

hatchtrikk
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead, land of the dead, diary of the dead and many more...

Post by hatchtrikk » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:25 pm

m ellis allen wrote:
AmirMortal wrote: Traditional AK mags are heavy guage steel, are not particularly delicate or prone to easy deformation. They are welded together,
exactly. id like to see someone use a US PALM mag as a hammer, or a bottle opener, or dropped from a hieght of more than 20 feet and not break. and yes ive seen all of these done with steel surplus mags with no problems. seems to me if steel mags where a problem they wouldnt have lasted what... going on.. 70 years?

I tried all of those things when I first got my Draco. It's all true :D

Sounds like someone may have sipped the Suarez koolaid :lol:
My Draco SBR: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=79016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belt fed always wins. -GD4

I am serious...and stop calling me Shirley. -Agent Smith

m ellis allen

Post by m ellis allen » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:37 pm

hatchtrikk wrote:
Sounds like someone may have sipped the Suarez koolaid :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
lunicy wrote:Mosins doesn't have Kool aid. It would have to be vodka and coffee,mixed with cosmoline, made with mud, in a hat. Mosins are too rough for kool aid.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:51 pm

I think I might pick one of the US Palms up and beat the crap out of it just to see how far it will go.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:00 pm

AKFTW wrote:
cmbtmedic3 wrote:Do yourself a favor and get US Palm mags. They're top notch. The TAPCO's are also good but I got a couple the other day and I am in love.
I don't trust them, at all. I haven't seen any non-biased reviews (ie from people who don't sell them) that show that they are worth a crap.
http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewto ... 9&t=133600
What he said. They have less steel in important places than Bulgarian Circle___ mags and they're more expensive, so hell no.

ETA: Oh no, he also recommended TAPCO mags. :(
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

m ellis allen

Post by m ellis allen » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:02 pm

Kommander wrote:I think I might pick one of the US Palms up and beat the crap out of it just to see how far it will go.
DO IT!!!! video and pics!!!!

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:02 pm

Don't forget, you have to put a Magpul stock on your AK because all other AK stocks have NO cheek weld.

:mrgreen: :lol: :roll:

EmbraceTheHate
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:23 pm

So the kvar mags are crap? Get military ones?

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:42 pm

EmbraceTheHate wrote:So the kvar mags are crap? Get military ones?
K-Var mags ARE military mags, as long as they are the Waffle-type and have the Circle 10 marking. Promag makes an imitation that is best used as a dog toy. To be safe, avoid all poly mags besides the Bulgarian Waffle type, and the Soviet Bakelite mags. Promag, Tapco, Bulgarian Commercial mags, and US Palm mags all blow. There are other polymer mags that are good but they are usually rare (even the bakelites are here) and are not priced at a point that it would make sense stocking them. Get some good stamped steel European or Chinese (NOT KOREAN) mags, and enjoy the wonders of a super-reliable $10 mag. Avoid any US-made mags.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:52 pm

TDW586 wrote:If you think the 7.62x39 round is somehow superior to the 5.56, you need to educate yourself on terminal ballistics, particularly on the role of modern ammunition designs, which are by and large not available for the AK. The 7.62x39 and 5.56x45 are roughly equal in terms of damage when using older bullet designs, arguably with a small edge to the 7.62x39 under certain circumstances, specifically penetration of intermediate barriers. With modern ammunition like Mk318, Hornady TAP, or Federal TBBC, there is no comparison, the 5.56 wins. If you intend to use this AK for home defense or "SHTF", I suggest getting your hands on some of the Hornady 123-grain SST, which is a big improvement.

Not bagging on your rifle, not trying to start a debate, not trying to derail, that's all I'll say on the subject. An AK is a good rifle, I'm just pointing out a factual inaccuracy in your post.
^^This is fact^^

(And I have run AK's for freaking years)

But your new rifle is the one of the absolute best on the market. And will serve you very well in any situation.
WWSD?

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:54 pm

AmirMortal wrote:Traditional AR mags are aluminum, are known for being delicate, and are prone to deformation. Traditional AK mags are heavy guage steel, are not particularly delicate or prone to easy deformation. They are welded together, and are able to be disassembled for cleaning and maintenance, unlike the Palms.

Bulgarian "circle 10 or 20" mags are the Pmags of the AK world. Light weight, very sturdy and able to be maintained by the end user.
^^This is also a fact^^

We're done here.
WWSD?

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:57 pm

AKFTW wrote:
EmbraceTheHate wrote:So the kvar mags are crap? Get military ones?
K-Var mags ARE military mags, as long as they are the Waffle-type and have the Circle 10 marking. Promag makes an imitation that is best used as a dog toy. To be safe, avoid all poly mags besides the Bulgarian Waffle type, and the Soviet Bakelite mags. Promag, Tapco, Bulgarian Commercial mags, and US Palm mags all blow. There are other polymer mags that are good but they are usually rare (even the bakelites are here) and are not priced at a point that it would make sense stocking them. Get some good stamped steel European or Chinese (NOT KOREAN) mags, and enjoy the wonders of a super-reliable $10 mag. Avoid any US-made mags.
To clarify this further: There are commercial production bulgarian mags that do not have Circle 10/21/etc stamped on them (the numbers vary by caliber). They may be blank, or have "bullet" imprints down each side. These are not as strong, and while better than the Tapco and USPalm magazines, but still not as strong as the .mil ones. Also beware the Smoke/Clear Bulgarian waffle mags, even if they have a circle stamp. They are also less resilient.

So yes. For kick-ass poly AK mags, you want either Bulgarian Circle mags, or ACTUAL russian (Tula stamp is most common) Bakelite.

That said, I DO have 3 tapco waffle mags. They break easily, as they don't have ANY steel reinforcement, and I use them for range mags. I used to have 6.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

EmbraceTheHate
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:12 pm

Ok so military grade mags a must. What about sites? I wanna keep it really simple. I def. dont want a bayonet hanging off it lol.

hatchtrikk
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead, land of the dead, diary of the dead and many more...

Post by hatchtrikk » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:21 pm

hatchtrikk wrote: Here are the mags you want: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D
In case you missed it :D

Here are the Bulgy Waffles they speak of : http://www.sksman.com/acces/AK47%20magazines.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not 100% that the SKSMAN mags are in fact 'Circle 10' mags but that's what they look like.

As far as sights go, the factory sights work fine for me. Maybe try shooting a few hundred rounds through it before you start making changes?
My Draco SBR: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=79016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:34 pm

hatchtrikk wrote:
hatchtrikk wrote: Here are the mags you want: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D
In case you missed it :D

Here are the Bulgy Waffles they speak of : http://www.sksman.com/acces/AK47%20magazines.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not 100% that the SKSMAN mags are in fact 'Circle 10' mags but that's what they look like.

As far as sights go, the factory sights work fine for me. Maybe try shooting a few hundred rounds through it before you start making changes?

That "10" in a circle is what you're looking for. Those SKSman magazines are commercial, so far as I can tell.

Re: Sights

I'm fine with the stock sights, as the platform (regardless of sights/optics) doesn't lend itself to 300m+ shots in the first place. That being said, Mojo Peep sights are the only ones I've heard getting consistently good reviews that aren't crazy expensive.

Known, good quality aftermarket sight:
http://www.mojosights.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:51 pm

I use the Tech Sights AK/SKS Target Post on all of my AKs. It's a smaller diameter front sight post, allows you to see more of the target and get a better sight picture. $5 well spent. I also paint mine white with Testors model paint, the white front sight really "pops" out, great sight picture. http://www.tech-sights.com/access.htm

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:24 pm

Congradulations on your rifle... Good choice, Got mine (Arsenal SGL21 with Nato stock) almost a year ago and fell head over heels, just an absolute joy to shoot.

This is probably the closest you can get to a proper AK 100 series rifle, that you can get in semi auto out there...

I second the opinion on the steel mags, I prefer the tankers/20 rounders, and have around 6 of em, but have over a dozen steel 30 rounders... Check Aim from time to time and you can normally get them for under ten bucks...

And yes, they make a great bottle opener...

hatchtrikk

Post by hatchtrikk » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:57 am

Czechnology wrote: That "10" in a circle is what you're looking for. Those SKSman magazines are commercial, so far as I can tell.
That's what I figured since there was no visible '10' from what I could see.

Does that mean they are Promag/Tapco or are they just a no-name brand counterfeit?

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:31 am

hatchtrikk wrote:
Czechnology wrote: That "10" in a circle is what you're looking for. Those SKSman magazines are commercial, so far as I can tell.
That's what I figured since there was no visible '10' from what I could see.

Does that mean they are Promag/Tapco or are they just a no-name brand counterfeit?
From what I've seen they are actually Bulgarian but are commercial mags, not to milspec, and have less steel under the polymer.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”