is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
ink
*
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:16 pm

is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by ink » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:25 pm

I am posting this question here because it seems like you people have a good mixture of firearms knowledge as well as prepping/emergency preparedness knowledge. I have been into firearms for years but am just recently becoming interested in preparing for the future and whatever craziness may come our way. Anyways, on to my question:

I have had an FN PS90 for a few years and I really like everything about it but I'm wondering if it would be the most practical rifle to have after a disaster/war/depression where resources were scarce. Ammo for it is fairly easy to get now from online methods or a few local gunshops that stock the 5.7x28 round but im sure it won't be that way forever. Should I just sell the PS90 now and put that money towards something with more common ammo (or just more ammo in general for my other firearms) or should I hang onto it?

Basically I just want to hear you guys' opinions on this to get some perspective from others. Thanks!

polliedes
* * *
Posts: 732
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:17 am

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by polliedes » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:29 pm

Welcome to the site.
When you get the opportunity run by the instroduction section and tell us a little about yourself.

I personally would say concentrate on what you can rely on and are good with and then stock for that accordingly. I have never heard anything bad about the PS90 and since you already have it and are comfortable, I would say just prep for using that one. Once supplies are limited, they will be limited for pretty much everything. You might as well stay with what you are good with and use your skill as your way to reduce the expenditure of ammo.
Image
Image
ICRS EMTB

User avatar
Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 9341
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: PDX-ish

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by Czechnology » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:30 pm

If you can afford to stock it deep (10k rounds+), with quality, non-nerfed ammo then yes.

If not, look for something more affordable.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

User avatar
Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Posts: 1840
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.
Location: Cahokia IL

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by Braxton » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:37 pm

I had a PS90. I loved that little gun. It was a pleasure to shoot, I loved the sights, and in the 3000 rounds i put through it, I never had an malfunction.

Then I shot up a car with it. I was less than impressed. I know the gel test on the 5.7 round show that it adequate man stopper, and having 50 rounds of it on tap is a wonderful thing.

But I came to the conclusion that if I was going to be hauling around a rifle, I wanted a rifle like performance.

I traded it for a new in box Arsenal SLR-107F and four thousand rounds of ammo. Saved some money and scratched my FN itch with a SCAR.

I think Its a good gun, But it just was not right for me.
Image
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

User avatar
Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 10834
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:00 pm

The PS90 would be a good gun IF it were SBR'd. The 57 is adequate, it's not magic but it will work. The 57 is not a rifle rd, it performs like a good pistol rd with a longer, flatter trajectory. It's a very niche weapon designed for use be vehicle crews. My main beef is that it's very expensive. I can get a SBR'd AR-15 for less, a lot less, and have common parts/mags.

I just finished a 12.5 SBR AR-15 for $625 + $200 for a stamp, for my 10.5 was $600 + stamp. That leaves me a lot of money for mags, ammo and training. I tame the flash with a Vortex.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

User avatar
PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 6235
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:31 pm
Location: St Louis

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by PistolPete » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:03 pm

Keep in mind what the rifle was designed for, a pistol-caliber cartridge that can penetrate body armor. It doesn't offer the best ballistics, especially when compared to rifle cartridges.

That said, it does have some things going for it. 50 round mags that are very reliable, minimal recoil and the ability to use it right or left handed. The ammo isn't very common, but that could be an advantage. Two years ago when people went on ammo buying sprees common calibers were the first to sell out. If you had a 9mm and one box of ammo on hand you were screwed because a lot of stores were sold out. You know that they did have on the shelves? Odd rounds like 357 sig and a variety of high powered rifle rounds. In a scenario where the markets tighten and you need to buy ammo, you may find 5.7 after the .223 and 9mm has already sold out.

The most important thing for a defensive firearm is your ability to use it well. If you can use it well that's most of the battle right there.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain
Image

User avatar
Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 9341
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: PDX-ish

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by Czechnology » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Regular Guy wrote:The PS90 would be a good gun IF it were SBR'd. The 57 is adequate, it's not magic but it will work. The 57 is not a rifle rd, it performs like a good pistol rd with a longer, flatter trajectory. It's a very niche weapon designed for use be vehicle crews. My main beef is that it's very expensive. I can get a SBR'd AR-15 for less, a lot less, and have common parts/mags.

I just finished a 12.5 SBR AR-15 for $625 + $200 for a stamp, for my 10.5 was $600 + stamp. That leaves me a lot of money for mags, ammo and training. I tame the flash with a Vortex.
I don't disagree, but the PS90 you own is 100% cheaper than the AR you don't. Barring a straight up trade, I don't see a good way to not lose money. Backing out of an entire platform and caliber to get into a new one is not cheap, not to mention the time spent re-learning the manual of arms/muscle memory/etc.
PistolPete wrote:Odd rounds like 357 sig and a variety of high powered rifle rounds. In a scenario where the markets tighten and you need to buy ammo, you may find 5.7 after the .223 and 9mm has already sold out.

That's why I bought a G22 to complement my 3 9mm's. The only pistol ammo in stock was .32ACP, .357SIG and .40S&W.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

User avatar
Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 10834
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:08 pm

Czechnology wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:The PS90 would be a good gun IF it were SBR'd. The 57 is adequate, it's not magic but it will work. The 57 is not a rifle rd, it performs like a good pistol rd with a longer, flatter trajectory. It's a very niche weapon designed for use be vehicle crews. My main beef is that it's very expensive. I can get a SBR'd AR-15 for less, a lot less, and have common parts/mags.

I just finished a 12.5 SBR AR-15 for $625 + $200 for a stamp, for my 10.5 was $600 + stamp. That leaves me a lot of money for mags, ammo and training. I tame the flash with a Vortex.
I don't disagree, but the PS90 you own is 100% cheaper than the AR you don't. Barring a straight up trade, I don't see a good way to not lose money. Backing out of an entire platform and caliber to get into a new one is not cheap, not to mention the time spent re-learning the manual of arms/muscle memory/etc.
I completely read it wrong. I thought he was thinking of getting one, yeah, ammo up, train, call it good.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

User avatar
PotatoMuncher
* * *
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:34 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later
Anything Romero
Zombi 2
etc
Location: SE Louisiana

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by PotatoMuncher » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:09 pm

Great carbine, great ammo, but like you said, its not very common (and from what I understand, expensive).

Definitely stock up on ammo for the firearms you currently have.
Image
ZSC:40
Greater New Orleans

User avatar
jor-el
* * * * *
Posts: 5210
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Watching over Metropolis

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by jor-el » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Allow me to clarify the "buy it cheap/stack it deep" position.

Out by me the local county government seems to be trying to run all of the gun shops out of business. Their stocks of ammo tends towards the vanilla of late and not that much overall.
If you can get what you need online, then by all means continue to do so. The whole point of stockpiling for yourself. That's pretty much how I got my 5.45x39 supplies, as most of the local stores back then had none, or that dreadful 55gr SP that Barnaul used to ship.

If you switched to anything else, you'd still have to stockpile regardless. The per-round cost may be less, but the work would still have to be done.

That said, 5000 minimum, 10K would be comfortable.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

User avatar
Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 9341
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: PDX-ish

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by Czechnology » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:37 pm

jor-el wrote:Allow me to clarify the "buy it cheap/stack it deep" position.

Out by me the local county government seems to be trying to run all of the gun shops out of business. Their stocks of ammo tends towards the vanilla of late and not that much overall.
If you can get what you need online, then by all means continue to do so. The whole point of stockpiling for yourself. That's pretty much how I got my 5.45x39 supplies, as most of the local stores back then had none, or that dreadful 55gr SP that Barnaul used to ship.

If you switched to anything else, you'd still have to stockpile regardless. The per-round cost may be less, but the work would still have to be done.

That said, 5000 minimum, 10K would be comfortable.
What he said. 5.45 is the only economical cartridge with better performance you could jump ship for.

Tantal/Bulgy 74+30 steel mags+5400rounds= $1300ish+shipping/transfer. Add another $300 if you go with an arsenal 74.

Save up again for an ultimak and an aimpoint micro, and you're in business.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

BHP
* * * * *
Posts: 2297
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:34 pm

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by BHP » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:00 pm

I'd say there are a lot of gun/ammo combinations that would be cheaper than the FN P90. Heck, I could argue that the .308 could be more economical. The cost per round is about the same and a PTR91 can be had for about half the cost of the P90 and mags are still just a couple bucks each.

While I'm not a huge fan of the P90 and the 5.7 FN round it's not all that bad a combination. While I think the round is a little weak some would view that as a plus. I'd imagine penetration in the home would be relatively mild and with it's very low recoil a quick followup shot (or 6) would be fast should it be needed. If I had one I'd definately make it a SBR, don't think I could care to keep one if it weren't the original 19 inch overall length (I think that's right).

User avatar
Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 9341
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: PDX-ish

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by Czechnology » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:06 pm

BHP wrote:I'd say there are a lot of gun/ammo combinations that would be cheaper than the FN P90. Heck, I could argue that the .308 could be more economical. The cost per round is about the same and a PTR91 can be had for about half the cost of the P90 and mags are still just a couple bucks each.

While I'm not a huge fan of the P90 and the 5.7 FN round it's not all that bad a combination. While I think the round is a little weak some would view that as a plus. I'd imagine penetration in the home would be relatively mild and with it's very low recoil a quick followup shot (or 6) would be fast should it be needed. If I had one I'd definately make it a SBR, don't think I could care to keep one if it weren't the original 19 inch overall length (I think that's right).

Plenty are cheaper from the get-go, but he's already invested in the 5.7 platform. 5.45 was the only one I could see him getting out of 5.7 and into without really spending much new $$.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

User avatar
Einher
* * * * *
Posts: 1159
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:48 am
Location: Playing in the Oregon rain

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by Einher » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:14 pm

ink wrote:I am posting this question here because it seems like you people have a good mixture of firearms knowledge as well as prepping/emergency preparedness knowledge. I have been into firearms for years but am just recently becoming interested in preparing for the future and whatever craziness may come our way. Anyways, on to my question:

I have had an FN PS90 for a few years and I really like everything about it but I'm wondering if it would be the most practical rifle to have after a disaster/war/depression where resources were scarce. Ammo for it is fairly easy to get now from online methods or a few local gunshops that stock the 5.7x28 round but im sure it won't be that way forever. Should I just sell the PS90 now and put that money towards something with more common ammo (or just more ammo in general for my other firearms) or should I hang onto it?
Many people have a variety of opinions about 5.7x28 in general. Some love it, others hate it, most I think are indifferent.

I say if you already have it and like it, may as well keep it and get a Five-Seven pistol to go with it, and stockpile lots of ammo for both.

It's kind of hard to find a practical pistol/rifle combo that uses the same ammo, and that unique quality makes it more attractive to some.
полиция wrote:Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.
Image

User avatar
Bearcat
* * * * *
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?
Location: Nasty Natti, Ohio

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by Bearcat » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:30 pm

The mantra we have here is don't expect to be able to find anything if SHTF. Get what you need now so you won't need to in desperation. All this talk of 5.45 in recent threads has got me wanting to buy more ammo. I think I only have about 3k on tap right now.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

J.C.
* * * * *
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:03 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombieland
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by J.C. » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:35 pm

The only ammo you can expect to have is what you stock yourself. Obviously some people have very different ideas of what a good supply is. I have less than 3K rounds and I'm totally comfortable with that. It doesn't seem likely to me that I'd survive enough gunfights to use a lot more than that. Other people want more...a lot more.
squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

User avatar
jor-el
* * * * *
Posts: 5210
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Watching over Metropolis

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by jor-el » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Czechnology wrote:
jor-el wrote:Allow me to clarify the "buy it cheap/stack it deep" position.

Out by me the local county government seems to be trying to run all of the gun shops out of business. Their stocks of ammo tends towards the vanilla of late and not that much overall.
If you can get what you need online, then by all means continue to do so. The whole point of stockpiling for yourself. That's pretty much how I got my 5.45x39 supplies, as most of the local stores back then had none, or that dreadful 55gr SP that Barnaul used to ship.

If you switched to anything else, you'd still have to stockpile regardless. The per-round cost may be less, but the work would still have to be done.

That said, 5000 minimum, 10K would be comfortable.
What he said. 5.45 is the only economical cartridge with better performance you could jump ship for.

Tantal/Bulgy 74+30 steel mags+5400rounds= $1300ish+shipping/transfer. Add another $300 if you go with an arsenal 74.

Save up again for an ultimak and an aimpoint micro, and you're in business.
Magazines. Firearm's only as good as your mags. 30 is a START. Another 10-20 for insurance or a supply of springs and followers. Mags can get bent feed lips, body dents, or rust/debris issues. For a pistol, I'd cut my number in half. Handgun's mostly as backup to the rifle, don't plan to do all the fighting with one.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

6MM
*
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:34 pm

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by 6MM » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:52 pm

I think the PS-90 is a solid platform for a get home gun. Have often thought about buying one for the trunk. I am still considering it but want to get scope for my AR first. I'd agree with others on the ammo and stocking up too. Have you had any luck reloading it. I have a 5.7 and a bunch of brass, but understand you need to coat it before you load it.

BHP
* * * * *
Posts: 2297
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:34 pm

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by BHP » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Czechnology wrote:Plenty are cheaper from the get-go, but he's already invested in the 5.7 platform. 5.45 was the only one I could see him getting out of 5.7 and into without really spending much new $$.
Getting out of a gun/caliber implies selling it. Selling the P90 wound generate more than enough cash to buy into a lot of other options.

BHP
* * * * *
Posts: 2297
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:34 pm

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by BHP » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:18 pm

6mm, I have a friend who reloads it and he said that if you don't clean/polish the brass you can load it a time or two as is. There are a number of things you can use to lube the brass. I always thougth the dry molly would work well but I don't own anything in the 5.7x28 so I've never tried it.

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16637
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by crypto » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:24 pm

I'm going with no, but not for the ammo availability problem.

The mags are plastic, with too many moving parts, and little chance of replacing them.


Mags are consumables, and you'd better count on having a few of them break when you drop them.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

tarafore
* * * *
Posts: 823
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:31 pm

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by tarafore » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:58 pm

I would think it's practical for what it is: a personal defense weapon. It is out-ranged and out-powered by real rifle rounds (which are often cheaper, to boot) ... BUT, it's much more concealable and packable, so you may be able to take it places where obviously carrying a long arm would get you into trouble.

You're much more likely to be in that kind of situation than in a true PAW ... Hurricane Katrina or the LA Riots are more likely than The Walking Dead, so to speak.

I'd suggest stocking up on ammo and saving up to get an AR-15, not instead of, but in addition to, the PS90. Right tool for the right job, etc.

User avatar
Domino
* * * * *
Posts: 2109
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:06 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by Domino » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:15 pm

The PS90 is a sweet little PDW that is light and easy to carry but I wouldn't want it to be my only rifle. It was designed to be used by military vehicle operators and other support troops that are not likely to need their weapons. Keep it if you like it but I would recommend you at least get another rifle in a more potent caliber such as 5.56X45, 5.45X39, 7.62X39, and even 7.62x51. If it comes down to one or the other than I would suggest you sell it since you can get guns in any of those calibers and for less than $1,000 and you would be vastly better armed. :wink:

User avatar
KentsOkay
* * * * *
Posts: 3207
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:20 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Texas

Re: is a PS90 practical for post-SHTF life?

Post by KentsOkay » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:33 am

The PS90 is an underpowered, unreliable plinker and is not fit for fightin'. PM me and I can take that black hole of a money sucking burden off your hand free of charge :mrgreen:

I've handled one once, handy little rifle. For a good breakdown on its effectiveness:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... t=gel+test
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Image
Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Post Reply

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”