Brand New Arsenal SLR-107UR...for $800

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Brand New Arsenal SLR-107UR...for $800

Post by AKFTW » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:12 pm

Made a down-payment of $160 today...

Plans include cutting barrel and permanently attaching to 16" an AKML flash hider to tame the fireball and make it even more pointable. The owner was there and I got to ask him all about the rifle, never been fired safe-queen and he has 2 more in 5.56 that he is keeping, they have even shot them out to 475 yards with minute-of-man accuracy.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

URBAN ASSAULT

Re: Brand New Arsenal SLR-107UR...for $800

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:19 pm

Did you catch him on a day when he was drunk or something?

:shock:

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:25 pm

Just in the right place at the right time I guess :D Makes up for missing out on that Glock 19 last week, I'm SO over that :lol:

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:26 pm

Dude...burn in hell. That is an awesome deal, I've been lusting after an Arsenal with the solid side-folding stock for a long time now.

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:33 pm

I had been scoping out how much a Saiga conversion to AKM sidefolder would run me, how long it would take, etc...and then I find this. :mrgreen:

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:51 pm

Dude, NICE!!! I'm plotting on a pair of Interarms 47's @ $550 each, after I sell my CAI WASR's...

Anyone interested in a Yugo underfolder @ $500?
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote:Dude, NICE!!! I'm plotting on a pair of Interarms 47's @ $550 each, after I sell my CAI WASR's...

Sure I'll take that yugo for $150 :wink:

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:02 pm

gelgoog wrote:
Kutter_0311 wrote:Dude, NICE!!! I'm plotting on a pair of Interarms 47's @ $550 each, after I sell my CAI WASR's...

Sure I'll take that yugo for $150 :wink:
Hey, it's a good rifle, my trunk gun since I bought it. The WASR's have all the rounds through them, this has been my "trunk queen" with very little use, no abuse. It lives in a 'youth break-down shotgun case' with 2 20rd mags, G3 sling, bayonet and ear pro for emergencies...

I don't really want to part with it, but I need to buy a Glock for the May MilCopp class...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:32 pm

So now that I have a sidefolding AK, I am probably going to sell the Sub-2000. I told my GF that my other AK is now hers, and she was elated! She loves the Sub-2000 but understands that .40 is expensive and if we are getting 9mm Glocks, logistically it doesn't make sense. I still have a while to think about what I am going to do with this SLR. I have no intention of SBR-ing it. I may get it cut to 13" put a permanently attached flash-hider to make it up to 16", or just sell it for a cool profit if the Henderson Defense Khybers are going to come through at a reasonable price.

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:57 pm

AKFTW wrote:So now that I have a sidefolding AK, I am probably going to sell the Sub-2000. I told my GF that my other AK is now hers, and she was elated! She loves the Sub-2000 but understands that .40 is expensive and if we are getting 9mm Glocks, logistically it doesn't make sense. I still have a while to think about what I am going to do with this SLR. I have no intention of SBR-ing it. I may get it cut to 13" put a permanently attached flash-hider to make it up to 16", or just sell it for a cool profit if the Henderson Defense Khybers are going to come through at a reasonable price.
I was just going to post that this would be a perfect candidate to SBR, but then I read that you aren't going down that road.

Any particular reason why? This rifle is cryin' out for that to make it perfect.

BTW, I wouldn't sell this excellent Arsenal for a Henderson Defense, you have a quality weapon in hand right now that is out of production, that many guys would give their left nipple for, at a oh so wonderful price, and it will only go up in value.

Keep it, recount your tale to others, and smile as they gnash their teeth in sorrow... ESPECIALLY if you ratcheted up the coolness factor even further by going SBR. :D

I did it with my AK-74, and I'm happy that I did it.

Just my twin shiny, copper-washed worthless zinc slugs.

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:45 am

Yeah, but it's just TOO pretty and valuable to be treated like a real "Suchka". It's awesome but because it's such a collectors item I couldn't bring myself to treat it like an AK. I'm almost afraid to shoot it for fear of devaluing it. If I sell it, I could make some serious coin off of this AND be able to get my DREAM AK built by a reputable smith.

I don't want to go through the ATF bullshit hassle of all the waiting and paperwork, plus I would need to be 21 to do the paperwork anyway. A Saiga converted into an AKM Khyber would make more sense for me than keeping this in it's goofy pencil-barrel configuration.

Is it really that easy to SBR? Doesn't it mean the ATF can raid your house whenever, you have to notify them if you are going to move, etc? That plus the wait, and the cost I would incur from having to send it off to get the barrel chopped and gas port drilled seems like a hassle to me.

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:47 am

AKFTW wrote:Yeah, but it's just TOO pretty and valuable to be treated like a real "Suchka". It's awesome but because it's such a collectors item I couldn't bring myself to treat it like an AK. I'm almost afraid to shoot it for fear of devaluing it. If I sell it, I could make some serious coin off of this AND be able to get my DREAM AK built by a reputable smith.

I don't want to go through the ATF bullshit hassle of all the waiting and paperwork, plus I would need to be 21 to do the paperwork anyway. A Saiga converted into an AKM Khyber would make more sense for me than keeping this in it's goofy pencil-barrel configuration.

Is it really that easy to SBR? Doesn't it mean the ATF can raid your house whenever, you have to notify them if you are going to move, etc? That plus the wait, and the cost I would incur from having to send it off to get the barrel chopped and gas port drilled seems like a hassle to me.
It only seems intimidating at first, and that is what scares so many guys away from going SBR.

I was nervous when I started think about it but then I started doing a lot of reading, and once it was over with it wasn't so bad.

I used Quicken WillMaker 08 to create my own Trust because I didn't like the idea of setting up an appointment with the local Police Chief so I could ask "Father, may I?" and have to submit photos, fingerprints, background check, etc.

A Trust bypasses that and was relatively easy to create on my computer. I set it up so that when I die my AK-74 can pass to my wife, then my Mother, then my Father, in that order.

I did make a couple wording mistakes on the copy I was going to send in the the BATFE, so I fixed them, ran off another copy, and then found another, so I had to do it all over again. If I would have been more careful I could have saved a lot of paper.

My approved form to cut my barrel arrived at my doorstop 57 days after I sent it in. $20 for the copy of WillMaker 08 off of amazon(with book), $8 to get the copy of the Trust being sent in notarized, and $200 for the tax stamp. They gave me no hassles, asked me no questions, just stamped "Approved" on the bottom, signed the postage stamp, and sent the whole thing back.

You also have to name your Trust and it will be engraved on the bottom of your receiver, so be smart about what you choose to call it. I went with something short and simple, "Miller Family Trust", but really you can call your Trust whatever you choose... "ZombieKillers Trust", "Little Red Riding Trust", "Pirate Horde Trust", etc.

BATFE cannot just storm thru your door with no reason just because you have an SBR now, they have to set up a meeting with you just like with an other citizen.

I carry miniaturized copy of my approved form with the tax stamp(and yes, it looks just like a big postage stamp!) rolled up in a baggie in the pistol grip of my rifle in case I'm ever hassled at a plinking session by a Police officer because he isn't sure the gun is legal. It hasn't happened yet, but I like being prepared.

If you are moving in-state you don't have to notify them that you are moving, but they suggest that you to do so.

The form is 5320.20, and can be found on the BATFE website, but I think just a regular letter with your new address would do just as fine. If you are moving out of state for good, the 5320.20 form is the way to go and is required.

Let them know that the rifle won't be coming back to this address either, I think there is a box on the form that allows that.

The nice thing about a Trust is that once you have it set up it is a breeze to add other NFA items to it in the future.

As for the cost of getting the barrel cut, crowned, and the gas port enlarged... well, no guts, no glory! :lol:
Depending on whom you go to I cannot see it costing that much.

Give Gary at Overland Industries in Arizona a call at 928-680-3660, and see what he says about the cost and turnaround time. He can also handle the engraving. He did the work on my SBR and I was happy with him, and you can tell him "Michael in Sheridan" recommended him to you.

He has my rifle there now doing some additional work on it for me, and we talk every now and then so he'll know who I am.

Hope this long-ass post might have given you a different view on the matter.

-urban
3%

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:06 am

I bought mine for $750. Dood was looking to sell and I was looking to buy.
I'm on the fence as to SBR it or not. I'm going to cut it to 14.5 and perm a flash hider cause I just can't get my brain around the loss of ballistics. IDK, may be I'll SBR it.
This livejournal rambling brought to you be RG.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:44 pm

Gotten a lot of offers on this thing already, especially trades for Khyber Pass type rifles, which IMO is the end-all-be-all of AKs, and now this thing is serving as the gateway to my perfect rifle! :D I may just sell this on Gunbroker to see how much I can get out of it, might pay for itself AND a custom AK :mrgreen:

Anybody heard good reviews of Cold War Classics? http://www.coldwarclassics.com/ They gave me a quote for a custom G-kit build with Russian AK-100 sidefolder for $1050 or so for everything (parts included) but shipping. Sounds pretty good to me, anybody have experience with them?

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:21 am

you can probably sell it for anywhere from 1100-1300 on GB, maybe even a bit more if you head on over to the AK forum.com

As for a romy-G build + side folder =/= $1000 in parts.

Romy-G kit = $199

reciever = $100

AK100 side folder = $ 150

Labor+ misc parts for build $200-300.

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:26 am

gelgoog wrote:you can probably sell it for anywhere from 1100-1300 on GB, maybe even a bit more if you head on over to the AK forum.com

As for a romy-G build + side folder =/= $1000 in parts.

Romy-G kit = $199

reciever = $100

AK100 side folder = $ 150

Labor+ misc parts for build $200-300.
Where can you find a barreled Romy G-kit for $200? I had one years back but it got stolen. :evil: Plus the Russian sidefolder is $250, IMO much nicer than the Bulgy due to being angled much closer to the profile of the fixed stocks.

ETA: That price also includes refinishing of all the parts. If you can find a better deal, let me know. I could always get something like an Interarms and get the sidefolder installed, but I want it to be hand-built with care by somebody who knows what they're doing, not just cranked out, if I am going to pay $1K for an AK.
Last edited by AKFTW on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:38 am

A; Congratulations!!! That is a mighty fine rifle!!!

B;
Yeah, but it's just TOO pretty and valuable to be treated like a real "Suchka". It's awesome but because it's such a collectors item I couldn't bring myself to treat it like an AK.
What? That's like saying you've just bought your dream 71 Hemicuda in mint condition for a great deal, and your not going to leave rubber all over the place?

C; If you don't want it.......... :D

Great rifle, I love my SGL21, and I hope you have as much fun with yours as I had with mine...

D; Buy more ammo
E; Shoot, repeat, when you run out of ammo, see previous letter....

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:53 am

You know what I mean though, right? I mean since I don't want to SBR it, it would be worth a lot more to somebody else who will, and I could use that to pay for the ideal incarnation of my very favorite AK, the AKM. It's SUPER nice, and I probably will put a mag through it for "function testing" :wink: once it is in my hands. But really, it's like finding an AMAZING deal on a rare, out of production car, to use your analogy, and selling it at a profit so you can get the ride you've dreamed of since you were 15. I'm not crazy for wanting to sell it, I just don't need a safe-queen, I need a fighting rifle I won't be afraid to throw in the dirt because it's worth 1.5K potentially.

SeerSavant
28 Days Later

Post by SeerSavant » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:42 pm

Yeah, a proper AKM is worth it, I get what you mean...
I've bought and fixed up several vehicles when I was younger, which paid for a lot of things that I wouldn't have been able to get any other way...

And if you settle for less than what you want, you'll always wonder, or feel (Rightfully so) that you settled for less.

Hope you get a decent value for the rifle, I know I saved up for a while before I got the 21, which I am completely satisfied with, and don't still have a wish for something else...

Even the Mosin, as fun and enjoyable as it is, isn't the same as my AK.

I'll still buy the occasional rifle, thinking of a lever action .38/357 mostly for the wife, but I am lucky to have what I've got and be content with it.

I hope you find a damn nice AKM....
And post lotsa pics for the rest of us to drool over... :D

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:51 pm

I am going to get a custom build done. I don't want to DOWNGRADE from an arsenal :lol: But yeah I think the Russians got it right in 1980 with this prototype AKM. Don't know much about it other than it's my view of AK perfection. An AKM with Russian-made AK-100 sidefolder should come pretty close to that.

Should look close to this, but with a 45 degree gas block and RPK-74 type flash hider.

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:35 pm

So why not just get another arsenal? SGL-21 should run you about $750 or less and if you sell your 107 for $1200 that leaves a lot of scratch for accessories and ammo.

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:29 pm

There is no similarity between what I want and the SGL-21 besides the fact that it is an AK and fires the 7.62 round. I want the AK-100 sidefolder combined with an AKM front end, the SGL has neither. I think the AK-103 is ugly, and besides it would cost me less to have a custom AK built than it would to put the sidefolder on an SGL. This is about building my "perfect" AK. If I wanted to settle for anything less than the rifle of my dreams and 100% complete satisfaction, I would just keep the SLR-107UR and put a flash-hider on it.

SeerSavant
28 Days Later

Post by SeerSavant » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:57 pm

Curious, what manufacturer are you going to begin with? Or are you going to build from scratch/parts kit? Personally, I think i'd start with a Saiga, and go from there...
Also, depending on how much money you really need after the donor/receiver, you might be able to crank out two rifles. Okay, mebbe not.

Are you going for a 'authentic' look or are going to personalize it to your tastes?

You got my curiosity tweaking, so now you gotta get details out, then pics, then travel around the country showing the rifle to each and every one of us....

Okay, maybe not that last part...

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:53 am

Cold War Classics is the one I have been talking with. They have done several installations of Russian AK-100 folders before and have a knack for authenticity. He recommends I go with a Romanian G-Kit, and they can still be found with original barrels. I have been quoted $350 labor including assembly, cutting receiver for side folder, installing a side-rail mount, and an authentic factory russian refinish. I found all the parts and it should cost me around $1100 all told (labor included) sans shipping. This is really a personalized rifle, but nothing on it will be something the Russians haven't put on an AK before, so it will be "authentic" in that sense. Really it will look exactly like this:
But with a 45 degree gas block, RPK-74 flash hider, and a dark red bakelite grip (cause that's how I roll 8) )
Basically it will be the functionality of an AK-103 but with the classic AKM silhouette and AKM parts compatibility (the 103 is based off the 74 internally). Another way to look at it is a Khyber Pass AKM with a more ergonomic stock.

Once I do that, I will get my Glock 17 and chop the grip to G19 length:
(along with (-) connector and maritime spring cups), then I will have my "Ultimate Perfection: No Compromises" combo :mrgreen:

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”