Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

J.C.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombieland

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Post by J.C. » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:39 pm

RottnJP wrote:
agent-smith wrote:
praharin wrote:As far as I know, no production rifle has ever fulfilled EVERY aspect of Coopers concept. Even the oft mentioned Steyr (as already stated in the above post) weighs in at the maximum (3.3kg) WITHOUT a scope, so that's probably another .5kg give or take.
You hear/read different things but my understanding is that the the Scout "ideal" weight was/is specified as 3kg, but the "maximum" weight was/is specified as 3.5kg. I actually had a Steyr Scout, then sold it after awhile since, given that I don't hunt, it didn't really do a whole lot for me. The Ruger actually looks kind of cool, but I don't think I'll be picking one up.
Personally, I've always thought that weight limit was arbitrarily limiting to satisfy Col. Cooper's inherent distrust of anything designed after 1911.
No. A big part of the Cooper's spin on the scout rifle concept was based on the fact of having modern polymer stocks and lighter steel alloys that could significantly reduce the weight of a rifle with the described capability. Cooper believed in the late seventies and early 80s that a new rifle concept was possible based upon this. In some ways he is right - average weight of sporter hunting rifles has dropped since that time. The idiosyncrasies of the concept were dropped along the way though.
squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

RottnJP

Post by RottnJP » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:03 pm

J.C. wrote:
No. A big part of the Cooper's spin on the scout rifle concept was based on the fact of having modern polymer stocks and lighter steel alloys that could significantly reduce the weight of a rifle with the described capability. Cooper believed in the late seventies and early 80s that a new rifle concept was possible based upon this. ....
I don't disagree with this, but my question is, Are there objective criteria that were used to determine the 3.0 to 3.5 kg weight range?

You can certainly start with an ultralight rifle and modify it to be consistent with everything Cooper suggested. And, all other things being equal, a bolt gun will be lighter than a semi-auto. You'd really have to work at it to get a SA rifle to come in at 3.5 kg with glass...

My point is, if you lock yourself into a certain number as a requirement, that's going to drive certain choices. Are there missions that a 3.5 kg rifle can perform that a 4.0 kg rifle can not? I'm not sure there are. Far from being a "hard and fast" line, rifle weight and size is a series of trade-offs, like everything else. To me, a pound of extra weight might be a very reasonable price to pay for SA operation.

On the other hand, I suppose it's all semantics anyway. I might argue that a lightweight AR-15 in 6.5 GR or even 6.8 with a forward mounted low power scope, or variable pistol scope, is quite consistent with the "scout" concept and breadth of application. It wouldn't meet the "purist" definition, though. But at the end of the day, I'm not it amounts to a hill of beans whether it's a "Scout" or "J.P.'s handy all-purpose light rifle."

Omega DR
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake), Night of the Living Dead(1990), The Zombie Dairies, 28 Days Later

Post by Omega DR » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:14 pm

I love the concept, bolt action, magazine fed utility rifle. It will never replace your AR or Sniper Rifle, I'd like to see it in 5.56mm or 6.8. In jurisdiction where a traditional "black rifle" would raise too much attention as a Scout rifle wouldn't.

AcidExfoliate
Favorite Zombie Movies: NotLd, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (new), Zombie Lake, ZombieLand, Pontypool

Post by AcidExfoliate » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:18 pm

RottnJP wrote:
J.C. wrote:
No. A big part of the Cooper's spin on the scout rifle concept was based on the fact of having modern polymer stocks and lighter steel alloys that could significantly reduce the weight of a rifle with the described capability. Cooper believed in the late seventies and early 80s that a new rifle concept was possible based upon this. ....
I don't disagree with this, but my question is, Are there objective criteria that were used to determine the 3.0 to 3.5 kg weight range?

You can certainly start with an ultralight rifle and modify it to be consistent with everything Cooper suggested. And, all other things being equal, a bolt gun will be lighter than a semi-auto. You'd really have to work at it to get a SA rifle to come in at 3.5 kg with glass...

My point is, if you lock yourself into a certain number as a requirement, that's going to drive certain choices. Are there missions that a 3.5 kg rifle can perform that a 4.0 kg rifle can not? I'm not sure there are. Far from being a "hard and fast" line, rifle weight and size is a series of trade-offs, like everything else. To me, a pound of extra weight might be a very reasonable price to pay for SA operation.

On the other hand, I suppose it's all semantics anyway. I might argue that a lightweight AR-15 in 6.5 GR or even 6.8 with a forward mounted low power scope, or variable pistol scope, is quite consistent with the "scout" concept and breadth of application. It wouldn't meet the "purist" definition, though. But at the end of the day, I'm not it amounts to a hill of beans whether it's a "Scout" or "J.P.'s handy all-purpose light rifle."
Cooper did advocate a large-caliber AR, the "Thumper". I intend to pursue the idea one day. i like the concept.
Only Hits Count!
Fast is fine, accuracy is final; you can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight.
.45/Cheesecake/M1A (Till i get a FAL anyway)

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:33 am

AcidExfoliate wrote:
RottnJP wrote:
J.C. wrote:
Cooper did advocate a large-caliber AR, the "Thumper". I intend to pursue the idea one day. i like the concept.
No, Cooper did not advocate a large caliber AR. He did advocate a large caliber bolt action as a Lion Scout.

I have a AR-15 in 6.5 and a AR-10 in 308. Both fit my definition of a scout rifle.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

doc66

Post by doc66 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:30 am

You are all heathens. Heathens.
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AcidExfoliate
Favorite Zombie Movies: NotLd, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (new), Zombie Lake, ZombieLand, Pontypool

Post by AcidExfoliate » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:32 pm

Regular Guy wrote:
No, Cooper did not advocate a large caliber AR. He did advocate a large caliber bolt action as a Lion Scout.

I have a AR-15 in 6.5 and a AR-10 in 308. Both fit my definition of a scout rifle.
oh, sorry, my bad, Cooper advocated:

18" long with stock folder
4.5 pounds unloaded Ghostring sights
Clean trigger
Chambered for .44 AutoMag (claiming a very unrealistic 1800 f/s from a 10" bbl)*
Uses "advanced muzzle braking system" that both unlocks the action and pulls weapon forward thus mitigating recoil
20 rd box mag
Semiauto only

That couldn't be an AR at all :roll:
Only Hits Count!
Fast is fine, accuracy is final; you can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight.
.45/Cheesecake/M1A (Till i get a FAL anyway)

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:03 pm

doc66 wrote:You are all heathens. Heathens.
Hey Doc, is this "heathen" enough for you?

:lol:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:31 pm

AcidExfoliate wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:

oh, sorry, my bad, Cooper advocated:

18" long with stock folder AR don't have folding stocks. :wink:
4.5 pounds unloaded Ghostring sights
Clean trigger
Chambered for .44 AutoMag (claiming a very unrealistic 1800 f/s from a 10" bbl)*Uses "advanced muzzle braking system" that both unlocks the action and pulls weapon forward thus mitigating recoil
20 rd box mag
Semiauto only

That couldn't be an AR at all :roll:
No, you said, he advocated a large bore AR. He did not. He did advocate a large caliber semi auto. For all you know, he could have meant an AK. :mrgreen:
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:48 pm

RickOShea wrote:

God put that away will you! I have enough bolt guns already, last thing I need is another project on my plate.

BTW- what kind of glass are you running on that? I am looking for a good long relief 1-4x power for a couple of lever guns.

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:22 pm

Leopold LER. I had the same one on my Savage scout.
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:26 pm

Gun_Nut_2k1 wrote:Leopold LER. I had the same one on my Savage scout.
Yeah, it's an FX-II in 4x.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:34 pm

RickOShea wrote:

Nice Enfield! The stock-hack looks both great, what kind of stock is that based on?
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:50 pm

Makarov wrote:
Nice Enfield! The stock-hack looks both great, what kind of stock is that based on?
The fore end is an ATI and the back is a modified Rem. 870 adapter made by Tactical Components.

Bender711

Post by Bender711 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:09 pm

gelgoog wrote:
BTW- what kind of glass are you running on that? I am looking for a good long relief 1-4x power for a couple of lever guns.
Call up the Leupold custom shop, they have a 1-4 x 28mm scout scope coming out but you have to ask for it.

RottnJP

Post by RottnJP » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:07 pm

Makarov wrote:
RickOShea wrote:

Is that what that is under there? That's sweet!

doc66

Post by doc66 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:43 pm

That is heathen enough.

Cooper advocated a .30 caliber,stripper fed, bolt action, less than one meter in length, under 3 kilograms, iron (preferably peep) sights, forward mounted glass, capable of 450 meter off hand shots with the aid of a sling.

It's an outdated concept these days. But there have been some nice custom rigs made based on those criteria.

Ah, well.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:14 pm

I just weighed my Bastard Scout and it came in at 3.75kg empty and 4.40kg with the twelve round mag loaded with 150gr SST. :(

RottnJP

Post by RottnJP » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:52 pm

...And it still handles nice, I'll bet... :thumbsup:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:31 pm

I've only shot this one out to 100 yards, so far. I had one like it a few years ago and it did good out to 300.

doc66

Post by doc66 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:23 am

RickOShea wrote:I just weighed my Bastard Scout and it came in at 3.75kg empty and 4.40kg with the twelve round mag loaded with 150gr SST. :(
Is the rifle really the bastard here! LOL!

That's okay, my budget scout is nowhere near 3kg! Nor is it under a meter in length. It will do 450 meters off hand though.... Slings are wonderful things.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:19 am

doc66 wrote:
Is the rifle really the bastard here! LOL!

Bastard Scout just sounded more appropriate than Pseudo Scout.

Did I mention that it has an MS2 sling.....So I can "single-point" it if the need arose.

praharin

Post by praharin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:41 pm

What is that on the muzzle? That might look nice on the old Ruger Frontier. I've been looking into ways to put a front sight one it. I'd like that one better, if it would work that is.
Jungle Recon Trooper wrote: The jungle does strange things to a man
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

Adding as many ponies to as many threads as humanly possible.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:04 pm

praharin wrote:What is that on the muzzle? That might look nice on the old Ruger Frontier. I've been looking into ways to put a front sight one it. I'd like that one better, if it would work that is.
You talkin' at me, Praharin?

That's a slip-over XM177 style flash hider threaded on to the barrel (O.A. barrel length is 18.5" with 17" of "real" barrel).

I drilled-&-tapped a Williams front sight ramp to the long flash hider. Also had to go with a tall Williams Fire Sight to line-up with the XS Ghost ring rear sight.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”