Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kaminari

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Post by Kaminari » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:50 pm

CTolley wrote:Not too entirely sure why Ruger would market this as a scout gun. They already have a couple of scout guns. The Mini-14 and Mini-Thirty.
On of the defining characteristics of a true scout rifle is that it has a bolt action. That not withstanding, those m77s are also a little heavier than a scout is expected to be. I think Mini-14s are lighter than the 77s as a rule of thumb, but not by much.

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:05 am

I like it and I can't remember owning a ruger gun designed in the last 20 years. I love detachable mag carbines! I mean love them! Now if we could get a folding choate stock like the one on special Savage rifles..
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

J.C.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombieland

Post by J.C. » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:52 am

Kaminari wrote:
CTolley wrote:Not too entirely sure why Ruger would market this as a scout gun. They already have a couple of scout guns. The Mini-14 and Mini-Thirty.
On of the defining characteristics of a true scout rifle is that it has a bolt action. That not withstanding, those m77s are also a little heavier than a scout is expected to be. I think Mini-14s are lighter than the 77s as a rule of thumb, but not by much.
Another defining characteristic is a 19-inch barrel. Ruger has never made a scout rifle by the strict definition; in fact the only production rifle to ever meet all of them is the Steyr Scout. The Savage is closer than the Ruger Frontiers but it does not have the extra sling stud.
squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

Greg Focker

Post by Greg Focker » Fri May 06, 2011 1:39 am

J.C. wrote:
Kaminari wrote:
Another defining characteristic is a 19-inch barrel. Ruger has never made a scout rifle by the strict definition; in fact the only production rifle to ever meet all of them is the Steyr Scout. The Savage is closer than the Ruger Frontiers but it does not have the extra sling stud.
The Steyr Scout was too heavy to fit the definition.

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling

praharin

Post by praharin » Sat May 07, 2011 11:14 pm

Kaminari wrote:
No, it's not. The primary reason for a manual action on most scout rifles is the weight and length factors. As far as I know, there are no auto-loading full power rifles that can meet both, or even either with a reasonable length of barrel.

As far as I know, no production rifle has ever fulfilled EVERY aspect of Coopers concept. Even the oft mentioned Steyr (as already stated in the above post) weighs in at the maximum (3.3kg) WITHOUT a scope, so that's probably another .5kg give or take.

The Ruger is a good attempt, and in time, I would like to own one.
Jungle Recon Trooper wrote: The jungle does strange things to a man
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

Adding as many ponies to as many threads as humanly possible.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Sat May 07, 2011 11:36 pm

Greg Focker wrote:
J.C. wrote:
Kaminari wrote:
The Steyr Scout was too heavy to fit the definition.
Max weight was specified as 7.7 lbs, Steyr is 7 lbs with scope...
squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

MVegas
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MVegas » Sun May 08, 2011 1:07 am

praharin wrote:
The Ruger is a good attempt, and in time, I would like to own one.
Yeah the more I see, the more I like it. I think that they've done a pretty good job building a rifle while keeping it in reach price-wise
Winter is Coming

AcidExfoliate
Favorite Zombie Movies: NotLd, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (new), Zombie Lake, ZombieLand, Pontypool

Post by AcidExfoliate » Thu May 12, 2011 12:03 pm

I shot one on monday. Action was silky, it behaved and handled very nicely, recoil was certainly not bad (as i'd somewhat feared). I plan on making one my first bolt gun.
Only Hits Count!
Fast is fine, accuracy is final; you can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight.
.45/Cheesecake/M1A (Till i get a FAL anyway)

tarzan

Post by tarzan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:01 am

JamesCannon wrote:No problem with the flash hider, here. I think, though, that the gun is something I would buy for $10 and a promise of a blowjob.

Nothing against Ruger... but... Gunsite? Ugh.
For only $10 and the promise of a blowjob you must have some mad skills. Not that i would be interested in finding out

agent-smith

Post by agent-smith » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:54 am

praharin wrote:As far as I know, no production rifle has ever fulfilled EVERY aspect of Coopers concept. Even the oft mentioned Steyr (as already stated in the above post) weighs in at the maximum (3.3kg) WITHOUT a scope, so that's probably another .5kg give or take.
You hear/read different things but my understanding is that the the Scout "ideal" weight was/is specified as 3kg, but the "maximum" weight was/is specified as 3.5kg. I actually had a Steyr Scout, then sold it after awhile since, given that I don't hunt, it didn't really do a whole lot for me. The Ruger actually looks kind of cool, but I don't think I'll be picking one up.
CATCH PHRASE!!!!!

weiss27md

Post by weiss27md » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:39 pm

I'll be getting a Ruger Scout soon. The Steyr is nice BUT it comes with no iron sights (which I plan to use) and has only a 5 round magazine.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:46 pm

weiss27md wrote:I'll be getting a Ruger Scout soon. The Steyr is nice BUT it comes with no iron sights (which I plan to use) and has only a 5 round magazine.
Ruger is now making their own 3,5,and 10 rd mags for $40 each. Which is just win in my book. If they made it in 260 with 19" brl, I'd certainly buy one.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:17 pm

weiss27md wrote:I'll be getting a Ruger Scout soon. The Steyr is nice BUT it comes with no iron sights (which I plan to use) and has only a 5 round magazine.
Wait I was under the impression the Steyr came with fold down sights. Is that incorrect?

The more I see this Ruger the more I want one.
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.

MVegas
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MVegas » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:36 pm

I, too, am really starting to have a hard time not trading a thing or two in on one of these. Especially now that those polymer mags are available from Ruger at a reasonable price.

As for other calibers, id love to see one in .243. Yeah, its really too light to be a scout but who cares? Id have a great time predator hunting with it.
Winter is Coming

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:03 pm

Gun_Nut_2k1 wrote:
Wait I was under the impression the Steyr came with fold down sights. Is that incorrect?

Steyr Scout does have iron sights.

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Yeah, I thought that was one of the requirements to be a scout. That and a good set of Moccasins. :wink:
GN

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:02 am

Gun_Nut_2k1 wrote:

Yes the steyr scout came with fold down sights. It also had a 10 round magwell mod.

I enjoyed it for a while, and it had a lot of nice features but I could not justify keeping it. I think you would be better served building off a rem 700 or just getting the ruger scout.

I prefer lever guns for the scout role.

AcidExfoliate
Favorite Zombie Movies: NotLd, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (new), Zombie Lake, ZombieLand, Pontypool

Post by AcidExfoliate » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:05 am

Where'd ya get that buttcuff shell carrier? looks NICE....
Only Hits Count!
Fast is fine, accuracy is final; you can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight.
.45/Cheesecake/M1A (Till i get a FAL anyway)

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:07 am

AcidExfoliate wrote:Where'd ya get that buttcuff shell carrier? looks NICE....
its a thompson center , they are pretty cheap and work much better than the leather/kydex alternatives.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... dID=TC7069

RottnJP

Post by RottnJP » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:20 pm

agent-smith wrote:
praharin wrote:As far as I know, no production rifle has ever fulfilled EVERY aspect of Coopers concept. Even the oft mentioned Steyr (as already stated in the above post) weighs in at the maximum (3.3kg) WITHOUT a scope, so that's probably another .5kg give or take.
You hear/read different things but my understanding is that the the Scout "ideal" weight was/is specified as 3kg, but the "maximum" weight was/is specified as 3.5kg. I actually had a Steyr Scout, then sold it after awhile since, given that I don't hunt, it didn't really do a whole lot for me. The Ruger actually looks kind of cool, but I don't think I'll be picking one up.
Personally, I've always thought that weight limit was arbitrarily limiting to satisfy Col. Cooper's inherent distrust of anything designed after 1911.

My M1A carbine (SOCOM 16) weighs in at 4kg stock, and is light, quick, and powerful. Yet it misses the "ideal" scout rifle in a couple of categories. <shrug> Of course, I'd *prefer* a couple more inches of barrel length, but who wouldn't? 8-) It also depends on *not* hanging a bunch of clap-trap off of it... IMO, the "SOCOM 2" variant , with enough rail space to mount a caribou, handles like a pig. But some people like it, I guess, so to each his own.

Anywhoo, I guess the place I could see for mandating a bolt gun is if you plan on cutting a .308 down to 18", threading the muzzle to attach a QD muzzle break for a suppressor compatibility, and mounting a 2-7 (or so) long eye relief scope up front. If you started with a nice lightweight mountain gun, with a composite stock, stainless or coated barrel, and a detachable box magazine, that *would* be a pretty sweet little rifle for just about anything... But this Ruger ain't it.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:07 pm

The one thing I would love to see different about the Ruger GSR , is the option for a synthetic stock . Not really seeing the point of the laminate . Why not trim some weight ?
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:15 pm

mk_ultra wrote:Why not trim some weight ?
Hey some guys like heavy chicks.
GN

tarzan

Post by tarzan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:23 pm

mk_ultra The only argument I could come up with for having the heavier, laminate stock vs a synthetic is recoil reduction. Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion. Hopefully Hogue comes up with an overmolded stock with an aluminum pillar bed and perhaps another sling swivel stud to complete the requirements.
A guy can dream.
I will never be able to afford a Steyr and the 4 rounds in a Savage leave me kind of cold

MVegas
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MVegas » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Yeah the first thing that popped into my head when I started thinking about what mods id make to one of these was "OD green Hogue overmold stock"
Winter is Coming

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”