Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

bark-eater

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Post by bark-eater » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Old_Man wrote:I'll be honest...unless hunting in seriously tight brush..I like a standard scope. I use it en lieu of binos since if I see my intended game, I can immediately engage, as opposed to switching from binos to rifle and try to re-aquire. A scope (especially with range finding reticle) is a decent recon optic.
I don't like glassing with the scope. It just doesn't seem social, particularly in the NE thickets, where have a hard time finding more than 100 open yards, combined with a lot of hunting pressure/ other folks in the woods with you. As an aside, I would like to find a nice 4x pair of binoculars with a wide field of view and long eye relief. I think they would compliment a 2.5x scout scope for this environment.
" The 'bricoleur' is adept at performing a large number of diverse tasks; but, unlike the engineer, he does not subordinate each of them to the availability of raw materials and tools conceived and procured for the purpose of the project." Claude Lévi-Strauss

nateted4
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by nateted4 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:17 pm

MVegas893.1 wrote:I know that a DBM is optimal for a rifle like this, but did it have to be an $80 DBM? if anyone ever markets a modern scout with a stripper guide, I'm all over it.
Don't quote me, but it's my understanding that Savage's custom shop will machine it into your receiver if you send the firearm to them. $100ish I think.
Raptor wrote:Carrying weapons openly and dressing in cammies (even if legal in the area) will get you killed.
Kommander wrote:So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

MVegas
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MVegas » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:28 pm

nateted4 wrote:
MVegas893.1 wrote:I know that a DBM is optimal for a rifle like this, but did it have to be an $80 DBM? if anyone ever markets a modern scout with a stripper guide, I'm all over it.
Don't quote me, but it's my understanding that Savage's custom shop will machine it into your receiver if you send the firearm to them. $100ish I think.
Now that would be pretty nifty.
I was just kicking around the idea of, when the time comes, just having one built (by the Savage custom shop) too.......
Winter is Coming

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:32 pm

Arfcom thread with more detailed pics.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=333765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

J.C.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombieland

Post by J.C. » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:46 pm

mk_ultra wrote:Arfcom thread with more detailed pics.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=333765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Damn its actually made me want one. Looks very nice. I think its going to retail a couple hundred more than a Savage Scout though and I can't really imagine it is any better.
squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:06 pm

The more I think about it, the more this rifle is a damn near perfect rifle for me:

In the UK we are only allowed bolt and lever action rifles (except .22 in semi),
I already have a Remington 700 in an AICS (so does my Dad) so I already have suitable magazines,
My AICS weighs over 14lbs. So if I'm bugging out, I don't much fancy carrying that,
I already reload .308,
I really like that laminate stock.

The only downside will be the price. If its about $1000, I'll be paying at least that in £'s. So once we convert that back to dollars and include tax and what not, I'm looking at around $1800.

I still want one and when it turns up over here, I will be checking one out.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:47 pm

As much as I hate to dredge up any topic involving Ruger products around here, I read something today pertinent to this particular rifle. A lot of people were wondering what purpose this rifle would be ideally suited for. It seems we missed something on that front. It looks like it makes a pretty nice gun to put a suppressor on.

The muzzle is already threaded, and it seems the tall iron sights clear a standard sized suppressor. A short barrel is handy for adding a can, if you add 6" to a 22" or 24" gun you've got quite an oal. So if you want a suppressed bolt gun with irons, this could be the only out of the box player that I'm aware of.
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewt ... =2&t=68213" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since this thread was first brought up, I've seen one at a local gun shop. The example I saw was nicely finished, and it really makes a nice handy package in your hands. But admittedly, I'm a sucker for short bolt guns. :-)
That does seem to be one thing Ruger does pretty well- they announce a product and then they actually make it. So many firearm manufacturers tend to announce a product and it's a year before you ever actually see one.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:36 pm

Well. I never woulda thought of that I guess.

I assume it is just a "bad idea" to market a gun that's "made for" suppressing, or with "silencers" in mind, lest the firearm-ignorant hoplophobe group of people get upset over common suppressor misconceptions and not realizing it's "no big deal" in reality.

That's kinda cool. I think absintheur has a silenced .308 bolt gun he did a bit of a write up on, somewhere around here. That gun was peachy keen, iirc.

I will say that Ruger makes nice LOOKING rifles, even if I don't particularly care for -this- one. My big beef is with the spamvertiser who gets to put their name on it, anymore. Otherwise I might like it. My hate for Gunsite is kinda like others' hate for Bear Grylls, around here, I think. The product with their name on it might be tits, but I'll never buy it because of the name on the side.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:37 am

JamesCannon wrote: My hate for Gunsite is kinda like others' hate for Bear Grylls, around here, I think.
Completely irrational?

Code: Select all

I will say that Ruger makes nice LOOKING rifles
Yeah. I think this one looks okay. I'm not really sure about the flash hider, but I guess it makes sense. And with a suppressor, it might be fun.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

runrob1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land, I Am Legend

Post by runrob1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:06 am

This may have already been said, a bolt action scout rifle for a grand. An AR platform semi-auto runs that much. Trying to fill a new niche market I guess.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:14 am

*sniff *sniff

something positive about ruger was said....

anyways. plenty of Rem 700s available threaded for suppressors long before Ruger decided we weren't all liars, thieves and murderers and declared we were worthy of simple ridges wrapping around our barrels in a helical nature
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:21 am

runrob1 wrote:This may have already been said, a bolt action scout rifle for a grand. An AR platform semi-auto runs that much. Trying to fill a new niche market I guess.
I gave up on Scout rifles in the bolt action flavor. I went with an AR in 6.5 Grendel.

My ideal scout would be a Rem 700 action with the removal mag kit with 5 and 10rd mags. A fluted stainless barrel threaded to accept 308 muzzle devices. Chambered in 6.5x55 or 260 Rem with a kevlar stock. Of course iron sights with a ghost ring rear. I think a 2x Amipoint forwards mounted would top it off just nicely.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

praharin

Post by praharin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:45 am

PistolPete wrote:...this could be the only out of the box player that I'm aware of...
Remington/AAC recently(?) released an SPS Tactical with a threaded barrel.

Different animal from the scout, but still probably cousins.
Jungle Recon Trooper wrote: The jungle does strange things to a man
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

Adding as many ponies to as many threads as humanly possible.

Liff

Post by Liff » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:05 pm

PistolPete wrote:A lot of people were wondering what purpose this rifle would be ideally suited for. It seems we missed something on that front. It looks like it makes a pretty nice gun to put a suppressor on.
Kinda the first thing I thought of when I saw this. I had to go check my reply to see that I did not actually bring this up. I actually still may buy one of these, just because. I bought a M77 before they came with threaded barrels and had Gemtech do the threading for me, then put a Sandstorm on it. I love it.
JamesCannon wrote:I assume it is just a "bad idea" to market a gun that's "made for" suppressing, or with "silencers" in mind, lest the firearm-ignorant hoplophobe group of people get upset over common suppressor misconceptions and not realizing it's "no big deal" in reality.
300 AAC Blackout? One of these in that caliber (or 300 Whisper) and I would buy it in a second and a half. I wouldn't care if it was Ruger or Remington or Winchester,etc.

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:44 pm

[quote="Istvan56"] I also don't believe that full powered rounds belong in shorty carbines, i.e. the Gewehr 33, the MN M38/M44 and the Lee-Enfield Mk. V as examples of rifles that prove my point. They just have too much blast and recoil.

I can only address the Lee-Enfield Jungle Carbine but the muzzle blast and recoil on mine is pretty minimal considering the size of the round it fires.

The flash suppressor that came on it does a decent job and the recoil is far less than I was told it would be by numerous people, none of whom had ever fired one apparently. There's a boatload of interweb myths about the Jungle Carbine, none of which have proven to be true in my admittedly limited experience owning and shooting one.

Having said that, I wish the muzzle blast was less but I knew what I was buying when I bought it.
John E
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

bae

Post by bae » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Mine arrived last week, and I've only messed with it a little bit so far. Accuracy with a scope mounted, at 100 yards in rain and gusting wind, using 168 gr. Black Hills match ammo, was "good enough for me", meaning it didn't shoot any worse than I normally do in those conditions, that is, the rifle wasn't the problem :-)

Price was $750 from A Well Known Internet Vendor.

First impressions though:

- Quality seems good, fit and finish are fine (except for a bolt issue below)
- It's very nicely balanced and handy
- The 10 round magazines look and feel a bit ungainly. That's a lot of room for 10 rounds, I wish they'd managed to use a double-stack magazine.
- The 5 round magazine is just-right, for routine knocking-around-the-woods carry
- The sights are just what I wanted
- The trigger is one of the nicest out-of-the-box Ruger bolt-action triggers I've had. Almost no creep at all, only a little bit heavy.
- The bolt doesn't move as smoothly as I'd like when it's near the full-rear of its travel. Some graphite lubricant cleaned this up a lot, but it still feels a bit like it is galling from the friction of the different bolt/receiver metals. Perhaps it will smooth up. Part of it may also be due to the short bolt throw and design of the receiver, it has a bit of side-to-side play at the rear and you have to make sure to move it perfectly in-line, or it bears a bit against the receiver. I have an old Portuguese Mauser carbine that was converted to .308 that is super-slick, I'd been hoping for that feel, though that has had 50+ years to get smooth. This Ruger reminds me a lot of that handy Mauser, but with better sighting options
- It feels just about right with an Aimpoint H1 mounted on the scout rail. The Aimpoint is too tall to cowitness with the iron sights though.
- You have to remove the rear aperture sight to mount a scope in the rearward position instead of on the rail, using the integral Ruger receiver mount.
- I used Ruger and AI magazines, and they worked just fine, I only ran 100 rounds through it. If you register the product with Ruger, you get a 20% off discount code for purchases of accessories from their online store, which makes the price of the Ruger magazines less painful.
- I didn't notice the logo on the grip cap, so far it hasn't caused me to speak in tongues or anything

Cpt. MelonBuster

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:47 pm

Solid review. Pictures?

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Whats the fireball/blast like with that flash hider? That is one drawback I heard of the Frontiers is that they put out quite a fireball with the 16.5" barrels.
squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:47 am

Not too entirely sure why Ruger would market this as a scout gun. They already have a couple of scout guns. The Mini-14 and Mini-Thirty. This is the Mini-Thirty http://www.ruger.com/products/miniThirty/models.html. MRSP is even lower. Sure, the Gunsite Scout is a decent looking gun, but the Mini-Thirty is all around better at being an all around rifle.

Cpt. MelonBuster

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:57 am

Whut?

So you're saying that the 7.62x39, which drops like a rock after about 300m, is a BETTER caliber for a scout rifle then the more accurate, flatter shooting, harder hitting .308?

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:34 am

I'm saying that a semi-auto 7.62x39 out of a 18.5" barrel is a better scout gun than a bolt action 7.62x51 out of a 16.5" barrel. Especially with the whole concept of using it as a brush gun. You're not going to make 300 yard shots in deep brush. If you're worried about distance shooting, you shouldn't be using a short barreled anything. But as far as distance shooting, a Remington 700 chambered in .308 is just fine. The problem with using a bolt action as a close proximity defensive item is chambering the next round. You lose time, site picture, and cheek weld. If a bear is coming down on you all of a sudden, the adrenaline increase will also lengthen time between shots, unless you have practiced in an adrenaline rich environment. Not likely for most shooters. If a bear comes down on me in the woods (in an aggressive manner of course), I would be happier with the ability of a fast follow up shot before it closes that 30 yard gap. But hey, if the bolt action does it for you in a close proximity situation, then by all means, it's a decent looking rifle.

*edit: fat fingered 7.62x51.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:40 am

The Mini-30 doesn't meet the definition for a scout rifle. Specifically, it is not suitable for 800-1000 lb animals. But you are correct that for most people, it is a pretty good scout rifle. A lot of people run Marlin 30-30s with scout scope and those do not meet the definition either but it doesn't make them any less useful.
steyrscout.org wrote: The scout rifle concept was the brainchild of Jeff Cooper, noted author and shottist who in the early 1980 conceived of the concept of a light, handy, general purpose field rifle (as opposed to a "paper puncher") capable of handling targets up to about 800 - 1000 pounds in weight. In conjunction with several other shooters the concept was codified during several “scout rifle conferences” beginning in December of 1983. The basic requirements are as follows.

Weight-sighted and slung: 3 kilograms (6.6 lb). This has been set as the ideal weight but the maximum has been stated as being 3.5 kg (7.7 pounds).
Length: 1 meter (39 inches)
Nominal barrel length: 48 cm (19 inches)
Sighting system: Forward and low mounted (ahead of the action opening) long eye relief telescope of between 2x and 3x. Reserve iron sights desirable but not necessary. Iron sights of the ghost ring type, without a scope, also qualify.
Action: Magazine fed bolt action. Detachable box magazine and/or stripper clip charging is desirable but not necessary.
Sling: Fast loop-up type, i.e. Ching or CW style.
Caliber: Nominally .308 Winchester (7.62 x 51 mm). Calibers such as 7 mm - 08 Remington (7 x 51 mm) or .243 Winchester (6 x 51 mm) may be considered for frail individuals or where "military" calibers are proscribed.
Built-in bipod: Desirable but not mandatory.
Accuracy: Should be capable of shooting into 2 minutes of angle (4") or less at 200 yards/meters (3 shot groups).

praharin

Post by praharin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:34 pm

CTolley wrote:I'm saying that a semi-auto 7.62x39 out of a 18.5" barrel is a better scout gun than a bolt action 7.62x51 out of a 16.5" barrel. Especially with the whole concept of using it as a brush gun. You're not going to make 300 yard shots in deep brush. If you're worried about distance shooting, you shouldn't be using a short barreled anything. But as far as distance shooting, a Remington 700 chambered in .308 is just fine. The problem with using a bolt action as a close proximity defensive item is chambering the next round. You lose time, site picture, and cheek weld. If a bear is coming down on you all of a sudden, the adrenaline increase will also lengthen time between shots, unless you have practiced in an adrenaline rich environment. Not likely for most shooters. If a bear comes down on me in the woods (in an aggressive manner of course), I would be happier with the ability of a fast follow up shot before it closes that 30 yard gap. But hey, if the bolt action does it for you in a close proximity situation, then by all means, it's a decent looking rifle.

*edit: fat fingered 7.62x51.
There are many problems with this post...

I think that a scout rifle is not what you think it is. Here's a start for you... It's NOT a defensive rifle. It's NOT a dangerous game rifle. It's NOT a short distance rifle. It's NOT a long distance rifle. It's a general purpose rifle. Similar in concept to a Leatherman tool.

Where I hunt, there is both thick brush and open fields. I guess I need to carry two rifles.

You DO NOT have to lose sight picture and cheek weld to work a bolt action. Especially a short action with a long eye relief scope.

What sort of bear? An Alaskan brown probably won't care too much about getting shot a few times with an x39. At least not before you're dead. A 308 might give you the extra penetration you need to hit the CNS.

Why have you limited it to a close proximity rifle? 16" barreled .308s have successfully made hits at 1000 yards on the square range.
Jungle Recon Trooper wrote: The jungle does strange things to a man
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

Adding as many ponies to as many threads as humanly possible.

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:01 am

I'll take a .308 or larger when this is charging at me.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”