Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mk_ultra

Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Post by mk_ultra » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Looks interesting , wonder what kind of mags it uses .

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteSc ... odels.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

USMCSergeant

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Post by USMCSergeant » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:26 pm

Spec sheet states 10 round capacity. I'd bet proprietary mags... Does look interesting though.

qwertyuiop
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by qwertyuiop » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:29 pm

It's based on the M77, and uses the Accuracy International standard magazines. You can get them in 5 or 10 round size. Here's a decent writeup on it:

http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2010/12 ... rifle.html

USMCSergeant

Post by USMCSergeant » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Good! No spending a fortune on mags then, looks like a very nice rifle to me.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:45 pm

really, a flash hider?

oh Ruger :lol:
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:07 pm

oooo, this has peaked my interest.

I only wonder why a 10 round magazine needs to be so large, that is like twice the size of a lee-enfield mag.

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:35 pm

Hoppy wrote:really, a flash hider?

not to be a dick but with a shorter barrel and the .308 cartridge a flash hider could come in handy in taming the fireball at the end of the barrel thats common with scouts.

This has peaked my inrterest im off to google

ETA with a laminate stock and 1k price tag no thanks but i like the effort, i howver will stick with the savage or mauser builds

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:41 pm

huntingohio wrote:

not to be a dick...

if theres one person you dont need to apolgize to on this forum, its me. im a professional dick. :wink:
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Speaking of dickiness, here's an unsolicited grammar Nazi pro tip: if something arouses an emotion or provokes one to action, (like this new Ruger Scout Rifle apparently has), your interest is piqued.

If your interest has "peaked," you'll be over it soon, which is a reasonable assumption, it being a Ruger and all.

Interesting looking rifle, wonder if it'll pass muster.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:49 pm

USMCSergeant wrote:Good! No spending a fortune on mags then, looks like a very nice rifle to me.
Have you seen the price of AICS mags, I recently bought 4 for my AICS Rem700 and it cost me £228 (about $350) - brought a tear to my eye! On MidwayUSA they are $85 each.
gelgoog wrote:oooo, this has peaked my interest.

I only wonder why a 10 round magazine needs to be so large, that is like twice the size of a lee-enfield mag.
Its not a true double stack mag, its a centre feeding mag so that's why you loose a bit of capacity, I think. Here is a top down view of what I mean:

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:57 pm

No problem with the flash hider, here. I think, though, that the gun is something I would buy for $10 and a promise of a blowjob.

Nothing against Ruger... but... Gunsite? Ugh.

MVegas
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MVegas » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:57 pm

I look forward to seeing one of these in person........
Winter is Coming

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:09 pm

In general rugers bolt rifles are regaurded to be on par with their wheel guns. That is of tremendous quality. Gunsite is the place of origin for the scout rifle so its natural that they are connected.

Thank you for the grammer lesson, however it was only peaked because of my rather discriminating tastes when it comes to scouts [my personal favortie rifles].

The savage may be less tactical but just as effective, im gonna so a mosin scout as soon as the funding becomes available, but im wierd like that

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:35 pm

No, the original Gunsite (not always called that) founded by Jeff Cooper is associated with Jeff Cooper who developed the current common idea of the scout rifle.

He sold the business LONG ago and CLEARLY distanced himself from it afterward.

The current owners of Gunsite and how it is run is nothing like Jeff Cooper's.

There is no reason to put the name Gunsite to the rifle other than cheap marketing, and for Ruger to associate their rifle with such scam artists is atrocious.

agent-smith

Post by agent-smith » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:41 pm

USMCSergeant wrote:Good! No spending a fortune on mags then, looks like a very nice rifle to me.
Uh, you apparently haven't priced Accuracy International magazines lately.
CATCH PHRASE!!!!!

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:14 pm

It looks like a gussied up Frontier Rifle, something they offered several years ago. I picked up one for cheap in 7mm-08 and it's a fantastic woods gun. You get the length of a lever gun with the power and bullet selection of a bolt gun. I've been using mine for deer hunting for 4 years and couldn't be happier.

I find the idea of a short bolt gun with a magazine to be very interesting. I also like that Ruger uses a 3 position safety, the 3rd position locks the bolt closed. That is handy for walking through the woods, you can't inadvertently open the bolt and lose a cartridge if the lever catches on a branch. The forward scope mount is perfect for an Aimpoint or an Eotech, and the iron sights are a nice touch too.

I do think that pricing may not be ideal as it's coming from Ruger. If this was a $600 rifle it would be one thing, but I bet pricing on it comes in at a grand knowing how they've priced things in the past.

Now if Remington could offer something like this, we'd be in business.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:29 pm

I really like it. For whatever reason I think it would look way sexy w/o the flash hider and a mannlicher(sp) stock (those are the ones that go the full lengh of the barrel right?).
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:46 pm

its listed at $995 MSRP, and as we all know MSRP is the high end, as you can usually find them for quite a bit lower. Expect a price around $850 or less.

Now even at $850 it sounds high, but that is actually not too bad of a price considering what was done to the rifle.

If you were to try and do it yourself it would go something like:

- M77 ~$500
- Flash hinder $50
- Rail ~$75
- Sights ~$100
- Magazine $85
- adjustable stock ~$100
- Having a gunsmith install all of that ~$300 (and thats a lowball number)
= $1210

At least this way if you buy the scout rifle it will be under warrant.

The custom gunshops out there that offer similiar custom scout rifles will run you well into the $2,000 mark. So considering everything, it really is not that bad of a price.

E

Post by E » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:04 am

I like how it looks, and the concept is awesome

I'm not sure how i feel about the bolt action together with the phrase "fighting carbine"

The bolt action makes me want to think it would be a DMRish rifle, while the barrel length makes me think it wants to be a carbine rifle

I'd love to see one in person to see how it looks
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Once you dread potential danger
You are bound by fear...
Fear is the only enemy.
Face the enemy

Arcana71

Post by Arcana71 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:52 am

Call me when Savage sells the same rifle with a synthetic stock and a magwell to take M1A mags for half the money. I'd also consider a Howa 1500, the Brownell's catalog and a well-equipped workshop as a consolation prize.

LastBoyScout
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: South Sacramento at night when view from a patrol car.

Post by LastBoyScout » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:10 am

Till I see one hard to say. But most or Rugers rifles are good but do not have the best triggers. Hope this one is better. Like the idea. May put it on my "LIST".

LastBoyScout
LastBoyscout

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

Helen Keller

An unloaded gun is a pourly balanced club.

Lynn C. Thompson to me over dinner.

Istvan56
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead & Night of the Living Dead

Post by Istvan56 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:04 am

I was never convinced that the Scout Rifle was the end all of rifles or "the One Gun" to carry as a survivor. I also don't believe that full powered rounds belong in shorty carbines, i.e. the Gewehr 33, the MN M38/M44 and the Lee-Enfield Mk. V as examples of rifles that prove my point. They just have too much blast and recoil. I think that an intermediate cartridge belongs in a short carbine. Which is why I think the CZ 527 Carbine in either .223 or 7.62x39mm would be a better choice for a scout type bolt rifle. It is lighter and less expensive though it only takes 5 round detachable mags for now.
olbaid_dratsab wrote:I really like it. For whatever reason I think it would look way sexy w/o the flash hider and a mannlicher(sp) stock (those are the ones that go the full lengh of the barrel right?).
Ah, look at the CZ 550 FS in .308 if you like the Mannlicher style carbine. It only takes a 4 round detachable mag but costs less than the Ruger Scout. It weighs in at 7.2 lbs. and has a 20.5" barrel, better for a .308 than the Ruger's 16" IMHO. The MRSP is $848.00. It also can be had in .243, .270, .30-06, 6.5x55mm and 9.3x62mm, unlike the Ruger Scout. If you want a .223 then the choice is the CZ 527 FS which is cheaper ($748) and lighter (6.1#) than the Ruger while still taking the same 5 round detachable mags as the 527 Carbine.

I've been a fan of Mannlicher style rifles since I first saw one in "A Boy and His Dog."

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:47 am

I agree with Istvan56.

The scout rifle concept idea of a short, full caliber (read as- recoil/muzzle blast) bolt action (read as- slow rate of fire/limited rd capacity) does not sound to me to be the "one" rifle to be out alone, with no support, "scouting" with.
WWSD?

cowboyfromhel86

Post by cowboyfromhel86 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:15 am

Hoppy wrote:
huntingohio wrote:

not to be a dick...

im a professional dick. :wink:

lol Hows that workin gout for you?? :lol:

this Rifle looks neat and I have no use for a bolt action
CitizenZ wrote:After seeing what she did with a spoon, I can only imagine what she could do with that machete.
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: Glocks never killed no Nazis. :D
AR15: Pray (it works) and spray
AK47: Spray and pray(you hit something)
Mosin-Nagant: The hammer of God

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”