The All Purpose AK Thread

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

woodsghost

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by woodsghost » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:08 pm

JF89 wrote: My buddy showed me a video of a suppossed homemade AK blowing up, he said they were trying to see how hot they could get the barrel and it blew up after a shit ton of ammo, this was somewhere over in the middle east.. From the sounds of it those AKs were worse then anything over here yet still managed to fire.
Read this:

http://thechive.com/2012/12/06/apparent ... 25-photos/

And as I've been thinking, we should probably lay out what we see as "quality" or maybe just "good enough quality."

For me, if a gun runs like a scolded dog and I can drag it through the rain, snow, mud, dust, and whatever else I encounter, then it is "good enough." If it does all that and puts bullets ....generally...where I want them then it is "better." Anything more is fine, but that is where I stop.

For knives, I buy Condor. They are usually heat treated well but often need some finishing work. While many complain about that, I am fine because I do the same work to "finished" knives too. So I save a few dollars while doing the work I was going to do anyway.

For rifles, if the metal is good, I can do some finishing work. It teaches me skills. Without those exercises I would be a lot less capable than I am today. And I have more time than money, so "low cost" matters to me. And I am a prepper, not just a gun hobbyist, so that has an effect too.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:08 pm

Of course all this said, there is the machinist who made an AK shovel https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/t ... ng.179192/
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:42 pm

JF89 wrote:My buddy showed me a video of a suppossed homemade AK blowing up, he said they were trying to see how hot they could get the barrel and it blew up after a shit ton of ammo, this was somewhere over in the middle east.. From the sounds of it those AKs were worse then anything over here yet still managed to fire.
Usually they catch on fire before they fail.....unless its a WASR. :crazy:

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

moab

Post by moab » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:44 pm

woodsghost wrote:
JF89 wrote: My buddy showed me a video of a suppossed homemade AK blowing up, he said they were trying to see how hot they could get the barrel and it blew up after a shit ton of ammo, this was somewhere over in the middle east.. From the sounds of it those AKs were worse then anything over here yet still managed to fire.
Read this:

http://thechive.com/2012/12/06/apparent ... 25-photos/

And as I've been thinking, we should probably lay out what we see as "quality" or maybe just "good enough quality."

For me, if a gun runs like a scolded dog and I can drag it through the rain, snow, mud, dust, and whatever else I encounter, then it is "good enough." If it does all that and puts bullets ....generally...where I want them then it is "better." Anything more is fine, but that is where I stop.

For knives, I buy Condor. They are usually heat treated well but often need some finishing work. While many complain about that, I am fine because I do the same work to "finished" knives too. So I save a few dollars while doing the work I was going to do anyway.

For rifles, if the metal is good, I can do some finishing work. It teaches me skills. Without those exercises I would be a lot less capable than I am today. And I have more time than money, so "low cost" matters to me. And I am a prepper, not just a gun hobbyist, so that has an effect too.

I'm totally with you on this philosophy woodghost. I buy things to customize and fix up myself. I do the same with ESEE knives. Knife Connection still has them on sale for $87! I'm fing drooling over them. The markings are only etched in the paint. So I like to chemical etch the markings and strip the paint. Age them. Etc. Etc. Hell it's why I bought that Arsenal a couple pages back. I really wanted one and for $700 with a bunged bullet guide it was right up my alley. I literally troll gun-deals daily for deals on stuff I can fix up.

So I feel ya.

And two or three hundred bucks buys a lot of ammo and other good stuff. I know a lot of guys that run WASR's now. It's just harder for us older guys that lived thru the shitstorm that was CAI WASR's back in the day. They were such crap. You couldn't find one with flush rivets and no sight cant. And CAI had so many other issues they screw customers over on. Galils with soft receivers and no support for them at all. You were just screwed. It's just really hard to give them a chance. They continue to just screw customers. And it's hard to support. So a lot of is attitude. As much as the quality of their stuff.

Personally as much as you like AK's you should be building. If you own 4 or 5. You could have built some really nice ones for that much. And continued to save a lot of money. It's after the 4 or 5 mark you really start saving money on building AK's. Of course the days of $50 Romy G kits is over. But that was insanity. Heck I remember guys turning their nose up about those too. Cause the finish scraped off with a fingernail. Wish I had bought a 1000 of them. lol!
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:00 pm

moab wrote:I literally troll gun-deals daily for deals on stuff I can fix up.
gun-deal.com or gun.deals.com have for sale by owner sections?
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:09 pm

moab wrote: Personally as much as you like AK's you should be building. If you own 4 or 5. You could have built some really nice ones for that much. And continued to save a lot of money. It's after the 4 or 5 mark you really start saving money on building AK's. Of course the days of $50 Romy G kits is over. But that was insanity. Heck I remember guys turning their nose up about those too. Cause the finish scraped off with a fingernail. Wish I had bought a 1000 of them. lol!
Had :)

Now I have 1.

Different things have happened. It is a whole series of stories. But 1 is where I"ll stay for a little while. I"m trying to round out my prepping. I"ve gone from "gun collector" to "sorta rounded prepper."

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:40 pm

RickOShea wrote:
JF89 wrote:My buddy showed me a video of a suppossed homemade AK blowing up, he said they were trying to see how hot they could get the barrel and it blew up after a shit ton of ammo, this was somewhere over in the middle east.. From the sounds of it those AKs were worse then anything over here yet still managed to fire.
Usually they catch on fire before they fail.....unless its a WASR. :crazy:

No he said it was probably some khyber(sp) type shit that was confiscated but it wasnt built very good, im not sure what the issue was but it was funny how he threw the rifle like it was "icky".

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:25 pm

woodsghost wrote:
moab wrote: Personally as much as you like AK's you should be building. If you own 4 or 5. You could have built some really nice ones for that much. And continued to save a lot of money. It's after the 4 or 5 mark you really start saving money on building AK's. Of course the days of $50 Romy G kits is over. But that was insanity. Heck I remember guys turning their nose up about those too. Cause the finish scraped off with a fingernail. Wish I had bought a 1000 of them. lol!

Now I have 1.

Different things have happened. It is a whole series of stories. But 1 is where I"ll stay for a little while. I"m trying to round out my prepping. I"ve gone from "gun collector" to "sorta rounded prepper."
I'm in the same boat, Woodsghost. I used to have two AKs, but I sold my Hungarian one to fund an AR purchase.

I'll probably pick up another AK at some point, but for now I'm going to focus on the other areas of prepping. Having a boat load of guns isn't going to do me a damn bit of good if I starve to death or get really sick.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:21 pm

woodsghost wrote:

Now I have 1.

I hear ya. I sold off a bunch of guns about ten years ago. Even some i built myself. That i said i would never sell. Broke my heart. But other necessities prevailed.

Since then ive built my collection back up. Plus my father died. And i inherited a few from him. Back to building. And that arsenal is the first ak ive ever owned that i did not build myself. Except for a few i bought to sell.

Ive recently put home preps on hold as were moving two states away this summer. And i dont need to move more stuff than i already have. So a lot of emphasis has been put into family firearms preps. Im almost done with three tactical builds. One for each member of my immediate family.

But as soon as we move. Ill be putting more time into normal preps. Except i have a few more guns id like to upgrade too. A new 9mm glock is in the plans. My .357 sig glock just doesnt cut it for availability of ammo. Ill never aell it as my grandfather gave it to me ince i moved to LA. He and my father sent me guns as soon as i moved here. I thought it was kind of funny at first. But then when i had to sell so many off thise were some of the few i could keep. Ive never had to sell a gun given to me by family. Thank goodness.

But your right. No need to collect firearms beyond your personal prepping needs. In fact just about everything i own falls into only two categories. Hunting and prepping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:31 pm

moab wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

Now I have 1.

I hear ya. I sold off a bunch of guns about ten years ago. Even some i built myself. That i said i would never sell. Broke my heart. But other necessities prevailed.

Since then ive built my collection back up. Plus my father died. And i inherited a few from him. Back to building. And that arsenal is the first ak ive ever owned that i did not build myself. Except for a few i bought to sell.

Ive recently put home preps on hold as were moving two states away this summer. And i dont need to move more stuff than i already have. So a lot of emphasis has been put into family firearms preps. Im almost done with three tactical builds. One for each member of my immediate family.

But as soon as we move. Ill be putting more time into normal preps. Except i have a few more guns id like to upgrade too. A new 9mm glock is in the plans. My .357 sig glock just doesnt cut it for availability of ammo. Ill never aell it as my grandfather gave it to me ince i moved to LA. He and my father sent me guns as soon as i moved here. I thought it was kind of funny at first. But then when i had to sell so many off thise were some of the few i could keep. Ive never had to sell a gun given to me by family. Thank goodness.

But your right. No need to collect firearms beyond your personal prepping needs. In fact just about everything i own falls into only two categories. Hunting and prepping.

I'm glad you get to keep the family guns. Those are important.

My AK is both a Prepping gun and a Hunting gun. I've killed 4 deer with it.

EDIT:

Hindsight is 20/20. If I could do it all over again I'd buy 1 .30 cal rifle and one CCW pistol and call it good till we are more squared away financially. And of course I"ll always keep the .22 I bought when I was 13. My first gun.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:15 pm

woodsghost wrote:
moab wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

Now I have 1.

I'm glad you get to keep the family guns. Those are important.

My AK is both a Prepping gun and a Hunting gun. I've killed 4 deer with it.

EDIT:

Hindsight is 20/20. If I could do it all over again I'd buy 1 .30 cal rifle and one CCW pistol and call it good till we are more squared away financially. And of course I"ll always keep the .22 I bought when I was 13. My first gun.
Thats all you really need. A good ar or ak and a 9mm sidearm. Two of the most available ammos. And parts. I personally never saw the advantage of a shorgun beyond home defense. Carrying one is a bit ridiculous. Considering the weight of gun and ammo.

One thing i did was invest in replacement bolt and spring parts for my aks. I bought several of those polish armorers kits. And rat fucked them for firing pins, extractors, recoil spring assemblies and various pins and small springs. Sear springs, selectors etc. So in a pinch i could gunsmith my rifles in the field. Sold off the rest. I think clearview might have some for a good price. Parts that is. Not the armorwrs kits. There hard to find now.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:02 am

Well, it only took about four yeara, but it looks like RTG finally got in some more Polish Beryl folding stocks.....

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/POLI ... 4p1603.htm

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

moab

Post by moab » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:21 am

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:02 am
Well, it only took about four yeara, but it looks like RTG finally got in some more Polish Beryl folding stocks.....

Yes they did. And they are the shit. Been paying 200 out of poland.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:40 am

moab wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:21 am
RickOShea wrote:

I got one 5 or 6 years ago. There used to be a couple forum members here that would PM me every so often to remind me that they wanted it, if I ever decided to sell.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:24 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:40 am
moab wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:21 am
RickOShea wrote:

I got one 5 or 6 years ago. There used to be a couple forum members here that would PM me every so often to remind me that they wanted it, if I ever decided to sell.
They are the best AK folding stock IMHO. Especially since you don't have to modify the rifle any to use one.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:04 pm

OK, so I'm gathering that the WASR is the best bang-for-buck AK right now...

Atlantic has two listed. The RH10 AK47 and the typical WASR. Here are the links:
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/compon ... l?Itemid=0

I really like the front sight and gas block combo of the RH10. I'm just worried that it isn't a genuine WASR. Anyone know any info on the differences that aren't listed on the website?

P.S. I don't trust the website's info regardless. They are trying to sell, not be honest.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:33 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:04 pm
OK, so I'm gathering that the WASR is the best bang-for-buck AK right now...

Atlantic has two listed. The RH10 AK47 and the typical WASR. Here are the links:

I really like the front sight and gas block combo of the RH10. I'm just worried that it isn't a genuine WASR. Anyone know any info on the differences that aren't listed on the website?

P.S. I don't trust the website's info regardless. They are trying to sell, not be honest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3jxQBjgOnI&app=desktop

Robski does a review above. Looks as good as a wasr. Without sight cant. I read something about not being able to change muzzle devices on the RH10 tho. Could be bullshit. Let me read the description again. Most all members of the AK-47 group on FB talked up the RH10 in a recent thread. And they're a hard group to make happy. lol. I'd say either is fine. The only thing on them that is Century is the furniture and fcg. Put an ALG fcg in it and your good to go.

EDIT - Disregard my comment about the muzzle device. You can change them. It's good to go. The cool thing about these is you could easily cut and recrown the barrel for an sbr. Also any akm furniture will fit either.

My personal opinion Id' get the RH10. Doesn't have the old stigma of being a WASR. Most guys love them. Some guys hate them. But you don't have that with the RH10 even tho it's the same rifle just with a different gb/fsb. Barrel is chromelined. It's pretty much standard akm so you swap parts and find parts easily.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:41 pm

New mags coming out for AKs. I"m kinda excited. The weight will probably be a bit much, but they look durable and supposedly feed very reliably.

www.full30.com/video/266a364f080ca8ea7beea2d84b7c0f19

moab

Post by moab » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:47 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:41 pm
New mags coming out for AKs. I"m kinda excited. The weight will probably be a bit much, but they look durable and supposedly feed very reliably.

You tricky bastard you! ;) You had me going. I wonder if any of the mags just got thrown far and not broken? I didn't watch the whole thing.

Here's to full30.com tho huh? Everybody checking that place out for the new youtube of guns? It's a great site.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:38 pm

moab wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:47 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:41 pm

You tricky bastard you! ;) You had me going. I wonder if any of the mags just got thrown far and not broken? I didn't watch the whole thing.

Here's to full30.com tho huh? Everybody checking that place out for the new youtube of guns? It's a great site.
Gotta love rebadged US Palm mags... Destroying the old ones in style!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:41 pm

https://www.full30.com/video/1523ccb8f5 ... 007e153788

New AK gas block. Adjustable. Vid by AK union. I'm really interested in these and I fantasize about owning a suppressed AK.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:15 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:41 pm

New AK gas block. Adjustable. Vid by AK union. I'm really interested in these and I fantasize about owning a suppressed AK.
I wish I had installed them on my last three builds.

This one may be better as it only requires the change of a piston. Your existing gas port size doesn't even matter. You just put it in and you're good to go. https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/product ... as-piston/ I have not read any reviews comparing the various models (there are more). But this is the one I read talked about the most in the build community.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:56 am

moab wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:15 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:41 pm

I wish I had installed them on my last three builds.

This one may be better as it only requires the change of a piston. Your existing gas port size doesn't even matter. You just put it in and you're good to go. https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/product ... as-piston/ I have not read any reviews comparing the various models (there are more). But this is the one I read talked about the most in the build community.
I"m liking that gas piston. Thanks for sharing! That is a clever idea.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:37 pm

A VSKA video. I"m pretty excited about this rifle at this price point. Time will tell, though, if it is worth it.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”