It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:32 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

moab wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thanks for the info, Moab!!! I have an AK receiver waiting to be built but I don't have time for the project so it will just wait til next year.

I'm super biased towards PSA since I love my AR uppers from them (not that AR uppers are that hard to slap together anymore), so I'll just wait until they get their stuff together... hopefully.

Any news on the knock-off KalashnikovUSA firm and their "supposed" Russian ties building AKs yet? I wonder if they are like Caracal where they release like 10 guns then recall them and tease for a couple years.

On a side note, I passed up a WASR10 at a LGS for $350 yesterday. It really hurt not buying it. But I couldn't remember what to look for... I vaguely remember there being something about single stack Clinton-era guns begin converted to double stack with a grinder but not replacing the bolt. It had the thumb hole stock so I couldn't tell because the machining looked decent.

If you can go back and take pics. And have people check them out. I'd go buy that WASR. Especially if it's a WASR10. ARen't those newer models? I'm not a big WASR expert. But $350 is a DEAL. They go new for around $550. Just look for canted sights. Rivets not seated. Take a mag with you (foreign steel) see if it fits.

Problem is, I stopped during a road trip (the shop is 3 hours away... so I should not have said LGS for "local"). I can't remember now if it were WASR or WASR 10 actually. I think it was imported by CAI. Regardless, it did not have a threaded barrel so I was guessing it was an old pre-ban...

Plus, I'm going to be out of the continental US for a couple months (as evidenced by my budget bag thread that you helped with) in a few days so I won't have a chance to get it anyways. I need the money for beer and firewood ahahahaha

Side note: reading through the AKfiles on the Gen 2 PSA rifles, I couldn't find too many horror stories from the non-build-kit gen 2s. There were some various concerns with CS and a couple bad apples, so I will just wait.

But I did find this thread...http://www.akfiles.org/forums/showthread.php?t=310854... PSA is teasing a 5.56mm and 9mm AK. I dunno if it can compete with the romanian 9mm imported by chiappa.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:54 pm 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
moab wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thanks for the info, Moab!!! I have an AK receiver waiting to be built but I don't have time for the project so it will just wait til next year.

I'm super biased towards PSA since I love my AR uppers from them (not that AR uppers are that hard to slap together anymore), so I'll just wait until they get their stuff together... hopefully.

Any news on the knock-off KalashnikovUSA firm and their "supposed" Russian ties building AKs yet? I wonder if they are like Caracal where they release like 10 guns then recall them and tease for a couple years.

On a side note, I passed up a WASR10 at a LGS for $350 yesterday. It really hurt not buying it. But I couldn't remember what to look for... I vaguely remember there being something about single stack Clinton-era guns begin converted to double stack with a grinder but not replacing the bolt. It had the thumb hole stock so I couldn't tell because the machining looked decent.

If you can go back and take pics. And have people check them out. I'd go buy that WASR. Especially if it's a WASR10. ARen't those newer models? I'm not a big WASR expert. But $350 is a DEAL. They go new for around $550. Just look for canted sights. Rivets not seated. Take a mag with you (foreign steel) see if it fits.

Problem is, I stopped during a road trip (the shop is 3 hours away... so I should not have said LGS for "local"). I can't remember now if it were WASR or WASR 10 actually. I think it was imported by CAI. Regardless, it did not have a threaded barrel so I was guessing it was an old pre-ban...

Plus, I'm going to be out of the continental US for a couple months (as evidenced by my budget bag thread that you helped with) in a few days so I won't have a chance to get it anyways. I need the money for beer and firewood ahahahaha

Side note: reading through the AKfiles on the Gen 2 PSA rifles, I couldn't find too many horror stories from the non-build-kit gen 2s. There were some various concerns with CS and a couple bad apples, so I will just wait.

But I did find this thread...http://www.akfiles.org/forums/showthread.php?t=310854... PSA is teasing a 5.56mm and 9mm AK. I dunno if it can compete with the romanian 9mm imported by chiappa.

Well I'm a builder. So it's no matter to me. As I don't buy new guns anyway. Except for my VEPR12.

I'm completing three builds now. All 60's Romanian kits with good metal and Polish Hammer forged Chrome lined barrels. Polish beryl folding stock on two. Ones an UF. One is all tac'd out. RS Regulate mounts with a PA advanced micro dot. Polish beryl paddle mag release and krebs like selector. Painted ranger green for the base of a camo job. These will be my BO rifles.

If I were ever to buy a new AK. I'd stick with something in the middle ground like the Arsenal. It's priced right. And never had issues. Even if I could get a PSA for $500. I'd still save up $350 more and get the arsenal. The resale value alone is going to be greatly affected on the PSA's. Not so on the Arsenals. And no questions thousands of rounds down the road. Just MHO.

Heck if I had $850 I'd buy building jigs and a press. And start building my own rifles. It's a heck of a skill to have post SHTF. And it's relatively easy. Not rocket science anyway. ;)

I have a question for you. Which do you think is the better AR - PSA or DPMS? I picked up a DPMS AP4 with chromelined barrel this past summer. For $375 after rebate. Couldn't pass it up. First AR since the Corps in '85. I know little to nothing about modern AR's. I have not heard bad things about PSA's AR's.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:17 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

moab wrote:
Heck if I had $850 I'd buy building jigs and a press. And start building my own rifles. It's a heck of a skill to have post SHTF. And it's relatively easy. Not rocket science anyway. ;)

I have a question for you. Which do you think is the better AR - PSA or DPMS? I picked up a DPMS AP4 with chromelined barrel this past summer. For $375 after rebate. Couldn't pass it up. First AR since the Corps in '85. I know little to nothing about modern AR's. I have not heard bad things about PSA's AR's.

Yeah, I wanna build/buy an AK for a toy, not a SHTF type gun (so issues won't be as magnified). I agree, if I were depending on it, VEPR or Arsenal would be my only choices.

I really like PSA AR stuff. I think they are "good" quality. I would rely on them for home defense and zombies, if need be. I've built 4 off of PSA uppers with mixed lowers and parts. Only issue with PSA stuff is you don't know where all the parts are coming from. A shop I used to frequent that had a machine shop and a gunsmith on payroll used to trash talk PSA for importing chinese parts. That may be true for little things, but if you look at the forging marks, all the big stuff from PSA is made by the same people as any other firearm outfit. Also to note, this shop I spoke with was a Del-Ton and Radical firearms dealer... so there is a clear bias there.

I've done work for some of my buddies' ARs, and I would put the low-grade PSA parts around Ruger/S&W/DelTon quality, and the middle/upper-grade parts around Core15, Colt, etc. They can't touch Daniel Defense or LWRC or POF... obviously.

I have really had no issues with PSA parts. Not to get into a whole rant, the PSA parts fit just as good as anything else at a steep discount. Only thing I had was their basic trigger for one of my guns was like a 12 pound trigger pull and had issues resetting on the first couple mags (until I dry fired it for a day). I replaced it with a drop in from POF anyways and lost the PSA parts (oops).

As far as DPMS, I think many feel that they have suffered QC issues from the Freedom Group/Remington buyout. But for that price, you can't go wrong. When I got back into firearms in 2010, they were kinda hot stuff for the entry-level buyer. So it could be that so many more options that they fell from grace or that Freedom Group ruined them. I've handled a couple and find them to be very nice for a bare bones AR. AR's are so easy to do stuff with that even if it sucks, swapping parts takes a lunch break.

But looking at your AP4, that is a slick package. 4150 chrome lined barrel with 1/9 twist would put you back $150-200 for just the barrel on a regular-non-sale-retail kinda day. Should shoot the cheap 55 gr .223 like a dream.

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:25 pm 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
moab wrote:

Yeah, I wanna build/buy an AK for a toy, not a SHTF type gun (so issues won't be as magnified). I agree, if I were depending on it, VEPR or Arsenal would be my only choices.

I really like PSA AR stuff. I think they are "good" quality. I would rely on them for home defense and zombies, if need be. I've built 4 off of PSA uppers with mixed lowers and parts. Only issue with PSA stuff is you don't know where all the parts are coming from. A shop I used to frequent that had a machine shop and a gunsmith on payroll used to trash talk PSA for importing chinese parts. That may be true for little things, but if you look at the forging marks, all the big stuff from PSA is made by the same people as any other firearm outfit. Also to note, this shop I spoke with was a Del-Ton and Radical firearms dealer... so there is a clear bias there.

I've done work for some of my buddies' ARs, and I would put the low-grade PSA parts around Ruger/S&W/DelTon quality, and the middle/upper-grade parts around Core15, Colt, etc. They can't touch Daniel Defense or LWRC or POF... obviously.

I have really had no issues with PSA parts. Not to get into a whole rant, the PSA parts fit just as good as anything else at a steep discount. Only thing I had was their basic trigger for one of my guns was like a 12 pound trigger pull and had issues resetting on the first couple mags (until I dry fired it for a day). I replaced it with a drop in from POF anyways and lost the PSA parts (oops).

As far as DPMS, I think many feel that they have suffered QC issues from the Freedom Group/Remington buyout. But for that price, you can't go wrong. When I got back into firearms in 2010, they were kinda hot stuff for the entry-level buyer. So it could be that so many more options that they fell from grace or that Freedom Group ruined them. I've handled a couple and find them to be very nice for a bare bones AR. AR's are so easy to do stuff with that even if it sucks, swapping parts takes a lunch break.

But looking at your AP4, that is a slick package. 4150 chrome lined barrel with 1/9 twist would put you back $150-200 for just the barrel on a regular-non-sale-retail kinda day. Should shoot the cheap 55 gr .223 like a dream.

I really want a Del-ton AR10. They went on sale last summer too. Infact now they are like $650. Non chromelined barrel though. But probably not as much an issue as your probably not going to shoot an AR10 as much as a normal AR in 5.56.

As for DPMS. I thought the problems with QC were some time ago. I did not know they had been bought out though. Only reason I chose that one was the barrel. It's the only one that went on sale with a chrome lined barrel. And after my Yugo days I'm partial to a chrome lined barrel. Yugo's did not have chrome lining. No natural chromium in Yugoslavia or something like that.

One thing really pushing me towards AR's for bug out. Is the .22 conversion kits. They probably weigh a pound or two. And are quite small. An AR with a .22 conversion would be a nice bug out option. There is one company that makes AK .22 conversions. But have been out of stock for some time. That would be a killer combo too.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:02 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

moab wrote:
Only reason I chose that one was the barrel. It's the only one that went on sale with a chrome lined barrel. And after my Yugo days I'm partial to a chrome lined barrel. Yugo's did not have chrome lining. No natural chromium in Yugoslavia or something like that.

The former Yugoslavia had plenty of chromium (especially around Kosovo). They chromed gas pistons and bayonets....They just either didn't think it was worth it to line barrels, or didn't want to spend the money on the technology.

As for AK's....I'd like one that could survive a mud test. :crazy:

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:59 pm 

This could be hogwash, but the stuff I've read about the Yugos refusing to chrome line their barrels says chrome lined barrels are not quite as accurate as their bare metal counterparts. Though I've read that chrome makes barrels last longer in full auto. It seems like you either start better or end better. I don't know what the truth is, just passing on what I have read.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:12 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

woodsghost wrote:
This could be hogwash, but the stuff I've read about the Yugos refusing to chrome line their barrels says chrome lined barrels are not quite as accurate as their bare metal counterparts. Though I've read that chrome makes barrels last longer in full auto. It seems like you either start better or end better. I don't know what the truth is, just passing on what I have read.

I've heard the same thing, woodsghost. I know it doesn't matter with ARs as much as AKs (civilian versions, especially) due to corrosive ammo and lack of full auto. But chrome can affect accuracy negatively as it can be uneven in the bore. But metal treatments like Phosphate and Nitride/Melonite are almost as tough (maybe) but more uniform in their application... plus it's cheaper. Could be marketing to sell rifles with an inferior barrel, or there can be science to it. I dunno, I don't own a laboratory nor a bunch of rifle barrels.

But, if I had a full auto AK or M16, I'd want chrome, especially if I were shooting corrosive ammo. Since I don't, I'm fine with Nitride/Melonite and even Phosphate.

Do they make stainless AK barrels? My stainless AR barrel is super accurate even if it doesn't like to be mag dumped

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:52 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

It very much depends on who makes the barrels, and their specs. Most of my AR's have BCM chrome-lined barrels, and they're about as accurate as anyone could want. But I don't know who makes them for BCM....some say FN makes 'em to BCM's specs, but Paul ain't sayin'. Image

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:09 pm 

AK quality vrs. price is making those $420 Yugo SKS's seem like a bargain. ( I just threw up in my mouth typing that ).

John Titor was right

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:13 pm 

The amount of effective accuracy in chrome lined vs non chrome lined is only valuable if you are a competition shooter at distance. It's a minor amount of accuracy loss with chrome. And the life of the barrel is vastly longer than even a nitride. As nitride is to prevent corrosion. Not wear. But the vast majority of shooters will not wear out a non chrome lined or nitride barrel.

In a full auto rifle however it makes a big difference. Or one you plan to shoot for a very long time. Say for SHTF. Or if your really into shooting that rifle. 50k rounds can be expected from a chrome lined bore. Non chrome lined not so much. Not nearly as much. I don't have the number off the top of my head. But it's a lot less. Which is why almost every military uses chrome.

It's why I only bought a chrome lined AR. And why I only build chrome lined AK's now. I've built Yugos and others in the past. When all that was available was non chrome lined barrels stateside for AK's. But for my SHTF builds I splurged on the cold hammer forged barrels from Poland. Best money can buy right now for AK's.

So both of you are right. IT's not gonna hurt accuracy that much either way. And the average lifespan of one not chrome lined isn't that great to the average shooter who may put 5-10k rounds thru a single rifle in a lifetime(?). Which is still a lot if you think about your whole arsenal and how much you shoot say one of your rifles.

If you wanna drool. Take a look at all the kits coming out of Romania and Poland these days. http://www.armsofamerica.com has a nice collection for sale. I especially like the details. The Polish sell a mag release that is like a large paddle. And a selector that is almost exactly like Krebs. That sells for a lot more. Both can be purchased as an upgrade with a Polish kit for $15. I think it's $35 otherwise. And their new rail systems are interesting. Although I'd stick with the side scope rail mount and use RS Regulate mounts.

Did you guys see their sale on black friday? It was blems but you couldn't tell. Half price. Which is cool. Because RS Regulate mounts are the most expensive out there for AK's.

I could talk about AK's all day. I do actually. lol. As I run an AK parts company. Although now we're getting into more jigs and build services. We're selling build services for $249 a rifle until New YEars. $299 otherwise for a barreled kit. $375 without a barrel already installed.

I wish I knew of a place near me that nitrided kits as a whole. As I really respect it as a finish. Maybe when I relocate to WA state I'll start looking into that. Here in CA it's worthless. To much redtape. But with the weather in WA it's almost a necessity.

A couple other deals to pay attention to is Atlantic Firearms barreled receivers. It's a rifle built with a Romanian kit (good metal) on a Morrisey receiver. Morrisey make them for Nodak so they are good receivers. And all it's missing is fcg, recoil spring and furniture. All stuff you'd want to custom choose yourself anyway. And they run between $350 and $400. I've heard nothing but good things about them. And it's a good way to "assemble" an AK vs building one.

Also if your building. Look into Childers new 80% receivers they got approved by the ATF. Everything is installed except the center support and the selector hole. The lips are curled, the rails are in, it's heat treated and you can get anything engraved on them. Literally. It's a big deal in the AK community. Head and shoulders above the rest. Even their finished receivers are the best now. USed to be Nodak was the only game in town. But not anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:26 pm 

flybynight wrote:
AK quality vrs. price is making those $420 Yugo SKS's seem like a bargain. ( I just threw up in my mouth typing that ).

I hate to say this. But a $550 WASR will out do an SKS anyday. Especially for aftermarket and other foreign parts you might like to swap. Like furniture, parts, mags etc.. I'd say SKS's are overpriced as much as AK's. The problem in the AK market is finding a good one. But if you stick with WASR (Inspected. Although I'm loath to buy anything from CAI. Not that I haven't. They have a lot of surplus stuff that you can't find anywhere else. I'm drooling over those Massad(sp?) Beretta .22's with fake cans for $220. Those are pretty cool. I've owned a CAI Mauser. And wouldn't hesitate to buy other C&R stuff from them.) Arsenal, Krebs etc. You'll do fine. Guys swear by the new WASR's. And like I said for $550. It's a no brainer if your not building and can't afford an Arsenal. Most arsenals are a grand plus. It's just that one model that is $850. And honestly in todays market they could sell them for a grand and still move them.

Chinese are good too. USed though. As they haven't been imported for years. They have a large following. And are surprisingly made very well.

My first SKS was in 1985. And one of my favorite rifles. I had just gotten out of the Corps. And this LGS had crates of them. I mean crates stacked high in the lobby. And they were selling Chinese SKS's for $65. The wood was the shittiest wood I've ever seen used on a firearm. It was like cheap fir. Or firewood. Very brittle.

I still own it. Probably my favorite bought rifle as it was the cheapest. And one of the first I bought myself. I have a ton of inherited arms from when I was born on up. My family are big into guns. And were trappers the first three years of my life. My fathers PNW Indian. Yakama. Chinook, Wishram and Cascade to be exact. I was raised very differently. When it comes to guns. And religion. And a ton of other stuff. lol. But that SKS has a special place with me. I was dirt ass poor then. I could not even afford the $65. But I bought it anyway. Kinda like the 18 acres my grandfather never bought because he couldn't afford the payment on $1800. (Shaking my head.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:33 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

moab wrote:
If you wanna drool. Take a look at all the kits coming out of Romania and Poland these days. http://www.armsofamerica.com has a nice collection for sale. I especially like the details. The Polish sell a mag release that is like a large paddle. And a selector that is almost exactly like Krebs. That sells for a lot more. Both can be purchased as an upgrade with a Polish kit for $15. I think it's $35 otherwise. And their new rail systems are interesting. Although I'd stick with the side scope rail mount and use RS Regulate mounts.

I need one.

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:37 pm 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
moab wrote:

I need one.

Hit me up when you get back. And I'll hook you up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:45 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

moab wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
moab wrote:

I need one.

I want one with a heavy patina or plated gold so when I become a warlord I fit the part. Does Legion Arms sell warlord kits? That's what I need.

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:51 am 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
moab wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
moab wrote:

I need one.

I want one with a heavy patina or plated gold so when I become a warlord I fit the part. Does Legion Arms sell warlord kits? That's what I need.

Of course. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:06 am 

Quote:
I hate to say this. But a $550 WASR will out do an SKS anyday

But no SKS has ever had metallurgical inferiorities that I'm aware of ( can't believe I'm defending SKS vrs. AK again. I think I just threw up in my mouth again :rofl: )
Quote:
My first SKS was in 1985. And one of my favorite rifles. I had just gotten out of the Corps. And this LGS had crates of them. I mean crates stacked high in the lobby. And they were selling Chinese SKS's for $65. The wood was the shittiest wood I've ever seen used on a firearm. It was like cheap fir

I remember those days . Everybody had crates. Martin B. Retting, Pony Express shop in the valley Even little gun stores that opened and closed in a year had stacks of em. I remember walking into Turners on Hawthorne Blvd and they had a big sale on SKS-M's with stacks of crates and thinking to myself what a wonky looking stock. Why would anyone pay $90.00 for a SKS with such a weird stock ..... :roll: Crap. The shoulda, woulda, coulda's

John Titor was right

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:28 am 

Moab, JeeperCreeper,

My impression of the US AK market is cyclical. Every few years, there seems to be a new company that pops up trying to take on the market of middle grade AK's. All the while it seems Arsenal, Krebs and Rifle Dynamics remain the consistent top tier of US AK's, while Century Arms has continued to pump crap out for at least a decade now. Would you both agree with that synopsis?

Red jacket used to be a gold standard too IMHO, but once the TV show started the quality started dropping and now they are defunct for good reason.

Jvandenhaus wrote:
Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:56 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Bearcat wrote:
Red jacket used to be a gold standard too IMHO, but once the TV show started the quality started dropping and now they are defunct for good reason.

Joe Meaux's new shop still builds AK's. :ooh:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:45 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

flybynight wrote:
I remember walking into Turners on Hawthorne Blvd and they had a big sale on SKS-M's with stacks of crates and thinking to myself what a wonky looking stock. Why would anyone pay $90.00 for a SKS with such a weird stock ..... :roll: Crap. The shoulda, woulda, coulda's

Yup, you should've snagged a couple. The SKS-M will fit in most SKS stocks....though, you may have to break-out the Dremel and open-up the mag well a little bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:16 am 

Price check on a rewelded Yugo M64 UF?

I've got a good friend whos a premier home builder. But he wants $900-$1000. He hasn't been in the used Yugo rifle market for a while. And honestly I have not either. I even searched akfiles and could not find one that sold recently. I'm having a hard time justifying it as a new Arsenal 107 is $850. Not the same I know intimately. I've built them before. But that price just seems a bit high in this market. But I guess if you were looking for a milled the Arsenals would run you well over $1000-$1300? Or more. Not that a home build M64 is an arsenal. But this is a sweet rifle. And shoots well. It's accurate for an AK.

Not a light bug out rifle though. Even UF it's heavy as hell. More like a FAL in weight I would imagine. And it's not a chrome lined bore. Nice bore for a Yugo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:08 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

moab wrote:

I've got a good friend whos a premier home builder. But he wants $900-$1000. He hasn't been in the used Yugo rifle market for a while. And honestly I have not either. I even searched akfiles and could not find one that sold recently. I'm having a hard time justifying it as a new Arsenal 107 is $850. Not the same I know intimately. I've built them before. But that price just seems a bit high in this market. But I guess if you were looking for a milled the Arsenals would run you well over $1000-$1300? Or more. Not that a home build M64 is an arsenal. But this is a sweet rifle. And shoots well. It's accurate for an AK.

Not a light bug out rifle though. Even UF it's heavy as hell. More like a FAL in weight I would imagine. And it's not a chrome lined bore. Nice bore for a Yugo.

The price seems a tad high to me, but I mostly buy factory built rifles so I could be wrong. Never bought a home built rifle before.

It also seems to me your friend is adding in the costs he incurred to build the rifle in with the sales price.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:33 pm 

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
moab wrote:

The price seems a tad high to me, but I mostly buy factory built rifles so I could be wrong. Never bought a home built rifle before.

It also seems to me your friend is adding in the costs he incurred to build the rifle in with the sales price.

I think he's just to far out of the AK game. We now have chromelined new barrels for these. And few guys build on those old crap barrels anymore. As most kits are lacking the barrel. Back in the day (say 2-5 years ago) this was the norm. But not really anymore. I built an M64 UF on an original barrel and sold it for $850 a couple years ago. Maybe a year ago. I thought I was overcharging then. But who knows. That's only $50 from the bottom of his asking price.

I think the real determining factor for me is the barrel. I just don't want anymore yugo nonchromelined barrels. Even on any new gun I buy I really prefer the chrome. And honestly I'm kind of over the added weight of milled.

I guess I have my answer. Thanks for letting me talk it out. LOL!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:14 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

moab wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
moab wrote:

I think he's just to far out of the AK game. We now have chromelined new barrels for these. And few guys build on those old crap barrels anymore. As most kits are lacking the barrel. Back in the day (say 2-5 years ago) this was the norm. But not really anymore. I built an M64 UF on an original barrel and sold it for $850 a couple years ago. Maybe a year ago. I thought I was overcharging then. But who knows. That's only $50 from the bottom of his asking price.

I think the real determining factor for me is the barrel. I just don't want anymore yugo nonchromelined barrels. Even on any new gun I buy I really prefer the chrome. And honestly I'm kind of over the added weight of milled.

I guess I have my answer. Thanks for letting me talk it out. LOL!

No problem, moab. I do the same thing when a gun deal comes my way as well.

Last one I talked myself out of was a Keltec Sub2k gen 2. Local friend of mine wanted to trade me one for my Hungarian AK and I seriously considered it, but then I did some number crunching and I'd have lost on the deal.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:14 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

How do the Hungarian AKs compare to Wasrs? Im not an AK guy at all and the only AK I have owned was a Saiga(wich I miss dearly). The AK market sure sucks, its too bad the AR15 companies wouldnt do like PSA(only better) and build AKs on the side...I would love A BCM,LMT,DD or SOLGW AK.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176  Next