The All Purpose AK Thread

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

woodsghost

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by woodsghost » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:34 am

bufordtjustice wrote:As of today, is there any consensus as to what the best AK (or top few) is on the market? I don't mean a custom gun like a Fuller either. Just a regular AK you can buy off the proverbial shelf.
Anything DDI
Anything Arsenal
WASR (metallurgy is all pretty good. Recent ones have better fit/finish)
O-PAPs should be good.
C39 series from CAI seems to be good. The more recent ones are the best.

Others will fill in any I forgot.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:46 am

bufordtjustice wrote:As of today, is there any consensus as to what the best AK (or top few) is on the market? I don't mean a custom gun like a Fuller either. Just a regular AK you can buy off the proverbial shelf.
DDI. Available at Atlantic when they are. I think they are in the middle of a production lull. But check out Atlantic Firearms. They have all their ads up for them. Just may not be in stock at the moment. Supposed to be a new run out any day. They are maybe $100-$300 more expensive than a CAI. But as you can see in the video below. They are by far better. That's what I'm buying next. And I've built many AK's. And own an ak parts company.

You could go Arsenal. But your looking at 1k plus. Or Krebs. But those are even more expensive.

Hell most just buy CAI and run the hell out of them. Just make sure you can inspect them first. I know Atlantic sells CAI's that have been inspected. AT least that's what their ads say.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:23 pm

Russian VEPR 12 ga semi auto AK shotgun. God damnit I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!! Now $699.99 at Classic! Ugh. This is killing me. I can't afford one.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/vepr12g ... 45afde6fc9
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:25 pm

I feel your pain. I really do.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

bufordtjustice

Post by bufordtjustice » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:08 pm

Gonna check out an Arsenal slr 107 a buddy has. While I'm not super crazy about the 100 series folder, I would rather have a stock I'm not crazy about on a good gun than vice versa. Anything to pay attention to/look out for? The guy is trustworthy and said the gun has under 1000 rounds through it.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:11 am

woodsghost wrote:
Anything DDI
Anything Arsenal
O-PAPs should be good.

Hard to think that a WASR is a contender for a "best AK... off the proverbial shelf." I mean, don't get me wrong - I like mine. Shoots okay, runs reliably, fun as all Hell at the range. It's got a lot going for it but best? I dunno 'bout all that. Mine, new, had issues. Light rust inside the receiver, basically no finish on the stocks - to make it ready for hard use, in any weather, you're looking at a few hours of labor and you'll probably burn through some supplies.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Z-Sergio
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Z-Sergio » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:40 am

Russian 5,45 AEK-971. Field test

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:55 am

LJ126 wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
Anything DDI
Anything Arsenal
O-PAPs should be good.

Hard to think that a WASR is a contender for a "best AK... off the proverbial shelf." I mean, don't get me wrong - I like mine. Shoots okay, runs reliably, fun as all Hell at the range. It's got a lot going for it but best? I dunno 'bout all that. Mine, new, had issues. Light rust inside the receiver, basically no finish on the stocks - to make it ready for hard use, in any weather, you're looking at a few hours of labor and you'll probably burn through some supplies.
That is more true for older WASRs. The newer ones (since 2012-2013?) have better quality control and better fit/finish.

http://youtu.be/S2-7wvIQHFY

Honestly, I prefer the older laminated/plywood furniture. I think it is stronger than most other wood furniture out there, but that is just a suspicion.

I had one WASR which had a number of QC issues (older), which I fixed myself. Sold it, and bought another one some years later (new[ish] import). No QC issues at all. Both were before the "new" crop of WASRs. Oh, I bought a new one too (2015 manufacture), by accident, owned it about 48 hours before my local GS was able to sell it. But the new WASRs are very nice off the shelf.

Z-Sergio

Post by Z-Sergio » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:11 pm

Russian Magazine Loaderfor AK-74 and Saiga-9

Last edited by Z-Sergio on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:27 pm

Z-Sergio wrote:Russian Magazine Loaderfor AK-74 and Saiga-9

That was pretty neat.

I wonder if they make one for 7.62x39 rounds and where I can get one here in the US.

Z-Sergio

Post by Z-Sergio » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:48 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I wonder if they make one for 7.62x39 rounds and where I can get one here in the US.
In Russia don't make loader for 7.62x39 rounds :(

If the only way
https://youtu.be/q2Ww_p8Q5SA

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:52 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
That was pretty neat.

:D

They are pretty cool.

There does seem to be a bit of a trick to making stripper clips work well.

Google "ak stripper clip guide" and "ak stripper clips."

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:55 pm

Z-Sergio wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

In Russia don't make loader for 7.62x39 rounds :(

If the only way
https://youtu.be/q2Ww_p8Q5SA
Well, that sucks. :(

ETA: I've heard varied reports of the quality of those AK stripper clip guides. Most of them bad, but there's a few folks who think they're the cat's ass.

I'll probably just buy one of those AK specific MAg-Lula things instead. Besides, it gives me an excuse to hit the local Cabela's in the next town anyway. :clap:

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:34 pm

Thinking about picking up one of these. http://grabagun.com/century-arms-arms-32.html
Any word on the quality, since Century is known for being hit or miss?
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:43 pm

If you don't need a mobile mag loader these are the way to go

And there is a DIY videos how to build these or there are buyable products.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:16 pm

Thread necro, but just thought I'd dump this here. The JTE Performance hammer spring I installed in my waffen werks 74 caused light strikes so I ditched for an Giessle ALG hammer spring. The JTE works great in my saiga 12 though. It's anecdotal but just wanted to pass that along...might save someone $14 :rofl:
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

Z-Sergio

Post by Z-Sergio » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:52 pm

AK malifunction training.

moab

Post by moab » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:25 pm

moab wrote:
DDI. Available at Atlantic when they are. I think they are in the middle of a production lull. But check out Atlantic Firearms. They have all their ads up for them. Just may not be in stock at the moment. Supposed to be a new run out any day. They are maybe $100-$300 more expensive than a CAI. But as you can see in the video below. They are by far better. That's what I'm buying next. And I've built many AK's. And own an ak parts company.

You could go Arsenal. But your looking at 1k plus. Or Krebs. But those are even more expensive.

Hell most just buy CAI and run the hell out of them. Just make sure you can inspect them first. I know Atlantic sells CAI's that have been inspected. AT least that's what their ads say.

Just wanted to EDIt my own post.

Don't buy anything CAI unless it's a QC inspected wasr from Atlantic Firearms. Or one you can inspect yourself.

DDI has since been bought by PSA. And PSA is a no go for AK's. They've sold nothing but crap cast parts since day one. Different rifles than what AKOU tested. Read the PSA Vendor section on AKfiels to learn more.

I also like Atlantics house brand AK's. And their barreled receivers. A great deal.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:10 pm

Glad I saw your post MOAB because I was going to buy one of their $500 rifles when one came up with a free shipping deal. To clarify, are you saying to avoid new DDI branded guns as well (assuming they still make them as well as PSA marked guns)?
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Bearcat wrote:Glad I saw your post MOAB because I was going to buy one of their $500 rifles when one came up with a free shipping deal. To clarify, are you saying to avoid new DDI branded guns as well (assuming they still make them as well as PSA marked guns)?

It's very muddy. The early DDI guns were made on Waffenwerks receiver/builds. That weren't so good. Then they made really good guns from kits. Then they sold to PSA. And PSA now builds all new DDI guns. So it's a mess. I'd research it a lot before buying a specific DDI gun.

Or better yet buy an Arsenal for $850 right now at KVAR. That's my advice. Or have one built from an AOA kit. We offer a build service - http://www.legionarms.com/ak47-build-services/ for $249 until new years. $299 normally. You supply the kit, receiver and 922r parts.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:52 pm

AK enthusiasts, please jump in to correct any inaccuracies...

But to correct any suggestions and open new dialogue in the AK world in the last 2 years since so much has changed, I figured I'd sum up some recent news that I've watched happen:

1. PSAK rifles that are GB2 series (gen two, I guess) fixed all of the casting issues on PSA's first run of AKs (now run forged parts). From what I understand, the GB2 PSA AK rifles are pretty good for a $500-600 gun. I think AKOU confirms this: the gold standard. I have no experience with a PSAK, but that may change in the next year when I'm looking for a new 7.62 AK.

2. I would stay away from CAI AKs unless you get a stellar deal. The C39v2 is ok, but I would run away from the RAS47 (C39 runs less cast parts than the RAS or something like that). I've only held them, and they seem really nice, but I guess they are still plagued by the shitty metal. Some people still swear by them, some people don't. I wouldn't roll the dice.

3. WASR and AMD rifles are still on the market and still fair/good/decent/ok/usable from most reports. I've shot some and liked them but they were all low round count guns.

So, the DDI story. Once hailed as a hero and now defunct company...

...So... DDI bought Waffen Werks. WW AKs were pretty excellent for a while then QC started to slip at the end of their business lifespan (I have very intimate experiences with Waffen rifles... if you know what I mean). Then comes in DDI to buy WW and to be the AK saviors as all the importation bans with Russian guns are limiting good AKs.

DDI gun's specs were awesome and initial reviews were impeccable. I almost bought one. But then, they hype bubble popped and everyone on the internet went on to rip apart DDI for terrible QC and parts usage (even with their good customer service). Google searches will review witch-hunt forums and poor video reviews.

Then, in another turn of events, before DDI could turn their business around, PSA comes in and buys DDI. As far as I know, DDI does not even have a website anymore. PSA also had a rough go of it with their Gen 1 rifles. But, with the merger of DDI and PSA, it seems the Gen 2 rifles are finally something to say is a decent (maybe not great) but decent American AK.

On a side note, with the prices of Arsenals dropping, I'd still buy one of those for $800. Or a BLEM PSA gb2 for $500. OR an AMD for $400 and change.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:54 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:AK enthusiasts, please jump in to correct any inaccuracies...

But to correct any suggestions and open new dialogue in the AK world in the last 2 years since so much has changed, I figured I'd sum up some recent news that I've watched happen:

1. PSAK rifles that are GB2 series (gen two, I guess) fixed all of the casting issues on PSA's first run of AKs (now run forged parts). From what I understand, the GB2 PSA AK rifles are pretty good for a $500-600 gun. I think AKOU confirms this: the gold standard. I have no experience with a PSAK, but that may change in the next year when I'm looking for a new 7.62 AK.

PSAK's are crap. Period. POOR QC. POOR MEtal. And the rifle AKOU tested is not the rifle PSA is selling at all. I follow Robski and respect that channel a lot. I think they just got hoodwinked on this one. Go read their own vendor section on AKfiles. And you'll stay away from PSA like the plague. We're talking firing pin retaining pins hammered in with what looks like a crescent wrench. ANd your left without the ability to change firing pins. Without a shop, a drill and a new firing pin and retaining pin. That's just one example. Go look at the pics. It's atrocious. Worse than the worse home build you've ever seen. I wouldn't buy anything from PSA.

2. I would stay away from CAI AKs unless you get a stellar deal. The C39v2 is ok, but I would run away from the RAS47 (C39 runs less cast parts than the RAS or something like that). I've only held them, and they seem really nice, but I guess they are still plagued by the shitty metal. Some people still swear by them, some people don't. I wouldn't roll the dice.

C39's and RAS47's both suffer from inferior metal. Check out the facebook group "AK-47". Read their rules first. They won't even discuss CAI. Except for the WASR. Which is still apparently an ok rifle if you get one QC inspected or inspect yourself. Here's their rule number 9:

"9. I.O, Century's manufactured C39 v1 and v2, Their hungarian kit builds, RAS47, Hesse, Blackheart, Lee Armory, PSA and , Clearview's Hungarian builds Riley Defense are NOT recommended here. 100% clear, no pics or posts of these, or questions about them. If you want to know why, use our search feature and read for hours and see pictures. DO NOT post your new subspec Ak here and then get offended by people saying you made a bad choice, and act like an angry child. You should have researched FIRST. DO not get angry with members here because you made a bad decision. Do not recommend them as we want true, correct information here so members can have a place for verifiable truth, and correct information. Look here for pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 210&type=3

3. WASR and AMD rifles are still on the market and still fair/good/decent/ok/usable from most reports. I've shot some and liked them but they were all low round count guns.

WASR's are fine. Most AMD's are crap now too. Especially the ones made by Clearview. I don't have a lot of links or information to back this up. It's just the concensous amongst those of us that follow it closely. I read a lot. Good and bad.

The current state of US made AK's is abysmal. Don't buy one. They all have issues. Bad issues. Like blowing up in your face after a thousand rounds abysmal. When I say US made AK's I mean ones where they make the parts here. Not the ones built on good foreign parts kits. It's really quite sad. Like 80% of the market share is total crap. IO, CAI, Riley Defense, see rule #9 above.

So, the DDI story. Once hailed as a hero and now defunct company...

...So... DDI bought Waffen Werks. WW AKs were pretty excellent for a while then QC started to slip at the end of their business lifespan (I have very intimate experiences with Waffen rifles... if you know what I mean). Then comes in DDI to buy WW and to be the AK saviors as all the importation bans with Russian guns are limiting good AKs.

DDI gun's specs were awesome and initial reviews were impeccable. I almost bought one. But then, they hype bubble popped and everyone on the internet went on to rip apart DDI for terrible QC and parts usage (even with their good customer service). Google searches will review witch-hunt forums and poor video reviews.

Then, in another turn of events, before DDI could turn their business around, PSA comes in and buys DDI. As far as I know, DDI does not even have a website anymore. PSA also had a rough go of it with their Gen 1 rifles. But, with the merger of DDI and PSA, it seems the Gen 2 rifles are finally something to say is a decent (maybe not great) but decent American AK.

On a side note, with the prices of Arsenals dropping, I'd still buy one of those for $800. Or a BLEM PSA gb2 for $500. OR an AMD for $400 and change.

I highly recommend saving your money for an Arsenal. They're about the only affordable AK that doesn't have issues these days. They are hard to find though. So if you jump on that $850 one at KVAR you'll do good. But miss that group and it may be a couple months before you see anymore new ones. They are very slow to trickle in.

It's either that. Or have one built. Where you know your getting a good rifle. There is also high end offerings like Krebs etc. But

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:03 pm

Thanks for the info, Moab!!! I have an AK receiver waiting to be built but I don't have time for the project so it will just wait til next year.

I'm super biased towards PSA since I love my AR uppers from them (not that AR uppers are that hard to slap together anymore), so I'll just wait until they get their stuff together... hopefully.

Any news on the knock-off KalashnikovUSA firm and their "supposed" Russian ties building AKs yet? I wonder if they are like Caracal where they release like 10 guns then recall them and tease for a couple years.

On a side note, I passed up a WASR10 at a LGS for $350 yesterday. It really hurt not buying it. But I couldn't remember what to look for... I vaguely remember there being something about single stack Clinton-era guns begin converted to double stack with a grinder but not replacing the bolt. It had the thumb hole stock so I couldn't tell because the machining looked decent.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:15 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:Thanks for the info, Moab!!! I have an AK receiver waiting to be built but I don't have time for the project so it will just wait til next year.

I'm super biased towards PSA since I love my AR uppers from them (not that AR uppers are that hard to slap together anymore), so I'll just wait until they get their stuff together... hopefully.

Any news on the knock-off KalashnikovUSA firm and their "supposed" Russian ties building AKs yet? I wonder if they are like Caracal where they release like 10 guns then recall them and tease for a couple years.

On a side note, I passed up a WASR10 at a LGS for $350 yesterday. It really hurt not buying it. But I couldn't remember what to look for... I vaguely remember there being something about single stack Clinton-era guns begin converted to double stack with a grinder but not replacing the bolt. It had the thumb hole stock so I couldn't tell because the machining looked decent.
If you can go back and take pics. And have people check them out. I'd go buy that WASR. Especially if it's a WASR10. ARen't those newer models? I'm not a big WASR expert. But $350 is a DEAL. They go new for around $550. Just look for canted sights. Rivets not seated. Take a mag with you (foreign steel) see if it fits.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”