It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:44 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm
Posts: 2720
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 161 times
Building another Romanian 47 and tac-ing it out. Putting my list together of things I need to buy.

1) Is there another side rail scope mount cheaper than the RS Regulate - that sits as low as the RS one does? I want to co-witness with a simple reflex site and the irons. All the cheap ones I've looked at sit way to high above the top cover.

2) Which tapco buttstock do you prefer and why? Going cheap on this build as you can see.

3) Anything super wrong with a cheap reflex site like this? http://www.amazon.com/Field-Sport-Green ... VDW3QP9MB5 Will it take the recoil? Other limitations? They've got 4 stars out of 1600 reviews on Amazon. They can't be all that bad. Right?

4) Anything wrong with this handguard rail set? I've picked one up in the past. And it looked like good enough quality aluminum for looks and hanging a light off of only. Might have needed some custom fitting. But I can handle that. http://www.ebay.com/itm/AK-series-Quad- ... 6016.l4276

5) Is this UTG side rail mount good enough? Or is there another one I should be buying and why? http://www.amazon.com/UTG-AK47-Steel-Do ... CK0YY8T5Z7

Hope to end up with something like this:

(EDIT - will place pic here later.)

_________________
http://www.legionarms.com

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:12 pm 
Offline
* *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 242
Location: Garden City, MI
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Trying this again

Image

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

_________________
Preparing to prep.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:24 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm
Posts: 2720
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 161 times
pyzik wrote:
Trying this again

Image

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk


That's the one I was going to get the AK302 with the AKR top mount. Pretty damn pricey though. I think it set's you back about $150-$200.

_________________
http://www.legionarms.com

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:37 pm 
Offline
* *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 242
Location: Garden City, MI
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 4 times
moab wrote:
pyzik wrote:
Trying this again

Image

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk


That's the one I was going to get the AK302 with the AKR top mount. Pretty damn pricey though. I think it set's you back about $150-$200.

They're pricey but they're the best mounts you can get. Return to zero after removal.

I love mine. Planning on getting a Gen 3 soon (ish).

Here is a better look.

Image

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

_________________
Preparing to prep.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:06 pm 
Offline
* * *

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:16 pm
Posts: 784
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times
moab wrote:
Building another Romanian 47 and tac-ing it out. Putting my list together of things I need to buy.

1) Is there another side rail scope mount cheaper than the RS Regulate - that sits as low as the RS one does? I want to co-witness with a simple reflex site and the irons. All the cheap ones I've looked at sit way to high above the top cover.

2) Which tapco buttstock do you prefer and why? Going cheap on this build as you can see.

3) Anything super wrong with a cheap reflex site like this? http://www.amazon.com/Field-Sport-Green ... VDW3QP9MB5 Will it take the recoil? Other limitations? They've got 4 stars out of 1600 reviews on Amazon. They can't be all that bad. Right?

4) Anything wrong with this handguard rail set? I've picked one up in the past. And it looked like good enough quality aluminum for looks and hanging a light off of only. Might have needed some custom fitting. But I can handle that. http://www.ebay.com/itm/AK-series-Quad- ... 6016.l4276

5) Is this UTG side rail mount good enough? Or is there another one I should be buying and why? http://www.amazon.com/UTG-AK47-Steel-Do ... CK0YY8T5Z7

Hope to end up with something like this:

(EDIT - will place pic here later.)


You're best bet is to leave it stock than putting any of that crap on it.

_________________
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:30 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm
Posts: 2720
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 161 times
Assault Life wrote:
moab wrote:
Building another Romanian 47 and tac-ing it out. Putting my list together of things I need to buy.

1) Is there another side rail scope mount cheaper than the RS Regulate - that sits as low as the RS one does? I want to co-witness with a simple reflex site and the irons. All the cheap ones I've looked at sit way to high above the top cover.

2) Which tapco buttstock do you prefer and why? Going cheap on this build as you can see.

3) Anything super wrong with a cheap reflex site like this? http://www.amazon.com/Field-Sport-Green ... VDW3QP9MB5 Will it take the recoil? Other limitations? They've got 4 stars out of 1600 reviews on Amazon. They can't be all that bad. Right?

4) Anything wrong with this handguard rail set? I've picked one up in the past. And it looked like good enough quality aluminum for looks and hanging a light off of only. Might have needed some custom fitting. But I can handle that. http://www.ebay.com/itm/AK-series-Quad- ... 6016.l4276

5) Is this UTG side rail mount good enough? Or is there another one I should be buying and why? http://www.amazon.com/UTG-AK47-Steel-Do ... CK0YY8T5Z7

Hope to end up with something like this:

(EDIT - will place pic here later.)


You're best bet is to leave it stock than putting any of that crap on it.


I've built several stock AK47's. From new looking to BFPU. This is going to be a bug out/inch gun. So I would like to build a tactical style. As I would like to add a scope, light, vert front grip and furniture that wears better than wood. So there are several reasons that make this build viable.

I found a "better" reflex sight:

http://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-Ultra-S ... rk+sm14000

Sight Mark also makes a nice 3x magnifier with quick release. Both have good reviews on Amazon. Hundreds actually. I would love an Eotech. But don't intend to spend more on optics than the rifle is worth.

I have seen the hand guards. And they appear good enough to hold a light and a vert grip. No optics on that end. So no worries there. It doesn't have to be perfect (meaning hold a scope and zero) so it should suffice for my needs. Otherwise if I wanted a scope at that end of the rifle I would buy an Ultimak rail.

I will mount the reflex on an RS Regulate mount(s). Which will give me co-witness with the irons.

But I know what you mean. There is always a place in my heart for stock AK's. I have built many. But this one needs to hold up a bit better and be a little more applicable to what's offered in improvements today.

_________________
http://www.legionarms.com

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:27 am 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Posts: 12257
Has thanked: 174 times
Been thanked: 233 times
If it's an INCH, don't skimp on quality.

_________________
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:28 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 2191
Has thanked: 1129 times
Been thanked: 310 times
moab wrote:

I've built several stock AK47's. From new looking to BFPU. This is going to be a bug out/inch gun. So I would like to build a tactical style.


Ok whoa there. If this is going to be a BO/INCH gun, then I totally agree with Doc. "Cheap" is not necessarily the route to go here. "Inexpensive," sure, but not "cheap." Unless this is going to be a "cache gun sitting in your brother-in-law's safe in Alaska." Then I can see an argument for "cheap."

Please consider a Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot and Midwest Industries Mini Dot Mount or their railed AK mount.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms ... kt-md-ads/

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/in ... ory_ID=421

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/in ... ory_ID=433

MSRP for the Mini Dot mount and PA Micro will be $250. You can probably shop around and find both for a bit less. There are a lot of torture tests/videos of the PA Micro and it seems to give users 90% of the durability and capability of an Aimpoint at 25-30% of the cost. Well worth considering and the optic/mount combo will be less than the cost of your rifle.

The PA Micro Dot (not the Advanced) is actually $90, MSRP, and I would trust my life to it LONG before I would trust my life to a Sightmark due to durability concerns and issues of parallax. With a MI Micro mount it would be $170 for optic and mount, not a bad price for a lot more performance and durability.

If you heart is set on Tapco stocks, I"d go with their fixed stock. I was happy enough with mine, but eventually changed out for wood which I think is stronger at the stock/receiver interface. I"ll switch to Magpul when I can afford it.

http://www.tapco.com/products/ak/index. ... oductId=35

Speaking of Magpul, I'd consider one of their handguards and getting some M-Lok pieces to attach your light. Will run $20 more than the forend you linked to ($30 if using aluminum M-Lok). One of my concerns with the forend/rail you linked to is the poor english in the ad, and I just don't know if you could trust it to really hold up. But who knows, I have not owned one and have not seen anyone put them through tough living. The 13+ oz of the aluminum rail you linked to tells me the weight of the rifle will go up significantly.

Just my thoughts. Good luck!

_________________
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:23 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm
Posts: 2720
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 161 times
woodsghost wrote:
moab wrote:

I've built several stock AK47's. From new looking to BFPU. This is going to be a bug out/inch gun. So I would like to build a tactical style.


Ok whoa there. If this is going to be a BO/INCH gun, then I totally agree with Doc. "Cheap" is not necessarily the route to go here. "Inexpensive," sure, but not "cheap." Unless this is going to be a "cache gun sitting in your brother-in-law's safe in Alaska." Then I can see an argument for "cheap."

Please consider a Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot and Midwest Industries Mini Dot Mount or their railed AK mount.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms ... kt-md-ads/

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/in ... ory_ID=421

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/in ... ory_ID=433

MSRP for the Mini Dot mount and PA Micro will be $250. You can probably shop around and find both for a bit less. There are a lot of torture tests/videos of the PA Micro and it seems to give users 90% of the durability and capability of an Aimpoint at 25-30% of the cost. Well worth considering and the optic/mount combo will be less than the cost of your rifle.

The PA Micro Dot (not the Advanced) is actually $90, MSRP, and I would trust my life to it LONG before I would trust my life to a Sightmark due to durability concerns and issues of parallax. With a MI Micro mount it would be $170 for optic and mount, not a bad price for a lot more performance and durability.

If you heart is set on Tapco stocks, I"d go with their fixed stock. I was happy enough with mine, but eventually changed out for wood which I think is stronger at the stock/receiver interface. I"ll switch to Magpul when I can afford it.

http://www.tapco.com/products/ak/index. ... oductId=35

Speaking of Magpul, I'd consider one of their handguards and getting some M-Lok pieces to attach your light. Will run $20 more than the forend you linked to ($30 if using aluminum M-Lok). One of my concerns with the forend/rail you linked to is the poor english in the ad, and I just don't know if you could trust it to really hold up. But who knows, I have not owned one and have not seen anyone put them through tough living. The 13+ oz of the aluminum rail you linked to tells me the weight of the rifle will go up significantly.

Just my thoughts. Good luck!


I shouldn't have used the word "cheap". I didn't mean cheap. I meant affordable. Someplace between a homebuilt $400-$500 stock wood build and a $1000 Arsenal. As given the choice I'd buy the Arsenal.

And I could go a lot cheaper than what I have listed. I just have other preps I need to pay for long before putting more money into this rifle. More rifles for one. I can't afford three or four $1500 tac'd out Arsenals. And at it's base it's still an iron sighted AK. So I have full faith in it's abilities.

The items I'm not going cheap on are the mounts. The RS Regulates are far sturdier than the Midwest. And attach at the scope mount riveted to the side of the receiver. I don't see any other attachment point as strong as that one. And it brings the sight picture back in front of my eye where I feel most comfortable. Just MHO. And the thin placement point of the Midwest ones that go in place of the rear sight is questionable. I've seen some destruction tests. And just looking at them you can tell they are not nearly as solid as the RS Regulate side mount rails. Again just MHO.

The hand guards are a bit of a question mark. I agree. But I have seen them in hand. Not torture tested them. But they seem tougher than stock wood. And as tough as other aluminum handguards I've seen. I can also hang a light and vert grip off of them. They just don't have a name brand on them. I'd venture to guess their made at the same factories other more well known brands are. The fit is not the same for sure. But that can be fixed pretty quickly with a grinding stone and a file. Which is crucial. But I feel confident in my abilities. And what I noticed needed to be changed on them to fit properly.

Either way, holding them in my hand and inspecting them. They seem far better than wood. While not spending $200 on a name brand. And it's not like I'm not going to test these things. If they go to shit torturing them myself. I will look into other HG's. For $20 it's worth the try. I just don't have the money to build a $1000 AK after you add up all the tactical accessories. And if I'm going to spend that much. I'd just as soon buy an Arsenal. So if I can keep this down to a say $600 to $700 build. That would be ideal. Then maybe eventually I can build three of them - one for each family member. At $1000-$1500 I can't do that.

I wish primary arms still made their squareish reflex sight. I would much prefer that one. I'll do more research into the Sight Mark products for sure. I don't see the optics as the end all be all of my sighting options. I much prefer irons. I just thought it would be nice to have the option of a reflex with some magnification. But again, I'll look more into the other options you mention and the Sight Mark products.

The Tapco buttstock is still a big question for me. I've never held one. But they just look like they would break off on someones face. I think now I'd like to simply make this an underfolder. With a Polish UF stock and trunnion. No reason it won't fit. And I can use a re enforced Nodak Polish UF receiver on it as well. They have the added plate for the pistol grip. I have to mechanically lock it in it's open position until I move out of CA. But that can be accomplished with a simple radiator hose clamp. Either that or maybe just go with a full aluminum Polish side folder (not the wire kind) that look like Galil stocks. HArd to find. But RTG might have a few left coming in. That's what I would prefer actually. Then I could conceal the rifle in my backpack too. Should the need arise. Which it most likely would. (I had a complete set of parts for this in AK74 a while back. But sold it. The Polish, Galil type stocks are very rugged. I wouldn't stop from hitting someone in the face with one. Or what ever other abuse you'd need to put out on one.

The bottom line is I don't see myself building a $1000 tactical Romanian. When I can get an Arsenal for that much. So I'm trying to hit some middle ground of "better than stock wood". The optic mounts I'm confident in. And the Polish folding buttstock. That just leaves the optics and the hgs. I'm willing to try out the Chinese hand guards for $20. When a Midwest cost what? $150-$200? I mean it's worth a try. I agree with your cost analysis of the optics. I just wish I could find a nice large squarish reflex sight. If I had to go with a small round red dot. I'd rather just go with irons. I'm a good shot. I shot expert 249 out of 250 in the military - iron sights on an M16. And continue to shoot that well today.

Bottom line is once I get these built. And the other preps I sorely need to spend money on. I'll someday upgrade to Arsenals with Eotechs. And everyone will have the best of everything. But until then I need to save some money someplace. And building my own AK's saves me a lot.

Anyone else make a large squarish reflex - other than the $350 Eotechs? In the $100 range?

_________________
http://www.legionarms.com

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:26 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 2191
Has thanked: 1129 times
Been thanked: 310 times
moab wrote:

The items I'm not going cheap on are the mounts. The RS Regulates are far sturdier than the Midwest. ...And the thin placement point of the Midwest ones that go in place of the rear sight is questionable. I've seen some destruction tests. ...


Gotcha. I did link to the regular side mounted rail by MI which is a little less right now than the RS. From what you are saying, I"ll have to look at tests of the Mini Dot mount. Everything I had read was high praise, but now I realize I did not look at destruction tests. I"ll have to look more into that.

moab wrote:
The hand guards are a bit of a question mark. I agree.


I got ya now. Makes sense.


moab wrote:
The Tapco buttstock... Polish UF stock ....


+1. I really wish I had a folding stock right now. I just can't afford all the cool gear at this time. I"d say "stay away from the Tapco folder," but you are way ahead of me.

moab wrote:
The bottom line is I don't see myself building a $1000 tactical Romanian.


I hear you. But I have $580 I can put into mine before I hit the $1000 mark :mrgreen:

_________________
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:13 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm
Posts: 2720
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 161 times
woodsghost wrote:
moab wrote:

The items I'm not going cheap on are the mounts. The RS Regulates are far sturdier than the Midwest. ...And the thin placement point of the Midwest ones that go in place of the rear sight is questionable. I've seen some destruction tests. ...


Gotcha. I did link to the regular side mounted rail by MI which is a little less right now than the RS. From what you are saying, I"ll have to look at tests of the Mini Dot mount. Everything I had read was high praise, but now I realize I did not look at destruction tests. I"ll have to look more into that.


From what I understand the RS Regulate is the only one low enough to co-witness as well. It rides just above the top cover. Otherwise there are many other options for side mount scope rails.

I wish now I had not sold my Polish sidefolding stock. They are beasts. I'll have to keep checking gunbroker and the forums. Only thing I don't know is how to lock it mechanically out. For CA concerns. That might take some doing. So I may have to settle for a Polish underfolder stock. No cracking heads with that one. ;) (Joking. But it's not a buttstock you can fight with really. Should it come to that.) But at least it will conceal in a backpack. I assume various parts of a bug out or inch will include hiding a long arm and perhaps just open carrying or conceal carrying a handgun. By conceal carry I mean a pistol you can get to quick. Rather than the rifle in the backpack. Which is not quick at all.

I also wish Primary ARms would make those reflex sights again too. They were dirt cheap. And solid. And big and wide. With a huge sight picture. Like the Eotech's and the Sight Marks. I'll have to do more research into reflex sights. There's got to be something inbetween.

_________________
http://www.legionarms.com

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:43 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 2191
Has thanked: 1129 times
Been thanked: 310 times
moab wrote:
I wish primary arms still made their squareish reflex sight. I would much prefer that one. I'll do more research into the Sight Mark products for sure. I don't see the optics as the end all be all of my sighting options. I much prefer irons. I just thought it would be nice to have the option of a reflex with some magnification. But again, I'll look more into the other options you mention and the Sight Mark products.
...
Anyone else make a large squarish reflex - other than the $350 Eotechs? In the $100 range?


Just found out about these folks.

Holosun.

http://www.holosun.com/store/index.php? ... ommon/home

They appear to make a squarish reflex sight. It does not seem to actually be on their website yet, but it would seem to be in their catalog, show in the video below and on their website here. The company seems promising, though I have not seen any destruction/durability test videos. I have not looked either. They make plenty of regular reflex sights too.


http://youtu.be/5FZvTCJNXns?t=647

_________________
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:27 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm
Posts: 2720
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 161 times
woodsghost wrote:
moab wrote:
I wish primary arms still made their squareish reflex sight. I would much prefer that one. I'll do more research into the Sight Mark products for sure. I don't see the optics as the end all be all of my sighting options. I much prefer irons. I just thought it would be nice to have the option of a reflex with some magnification. But again, I'll look more into the other options you mention and the Sight Mark products.
...
Anyone else make a large squarish reflex - other than the $350 Eotechs? In the $100 range?


Just found out about these folks.

Holosun.

http://www.holosun.com/store/index.php? ... ommon/home

They appear to make a squarish reflex sight. It does not seem to actually be on their website yet, but it would seem to be in their catalog, show in the video below and on their website here. The company seems promising, though I have not seen any destruction/durability test videos. I have not looked either. They make plenty of regular reflex sights too.


http://youtu.be/5FZvTCJNXns?t=647



I think Sight Mark has their logo on the same one. IIRC. I'll try to find a link.

EDIT - Similar I think. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sightmark-Mini- ... Swu4BVt-Ah

_________________
http://www.legionarms.com

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:04 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 2191
Has thanked: 1129 times
Been thanked: 310 times
moab wrote:

I think Sight Mark has their logo on the same one. IIRC. I'll try to find a link.

EDIT - Similar I think. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sightmark-Mini- ... Swu4BVt-Ah


Certainly looks similar. I don't know though.

I"m cautious about Holosun until I see more reports and tests. I"m really cautious about any sight not labeled "Aimpoint" for a fighting rifle, but there seems to be a few companies establishing themselves.

_________________
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:27 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 2191
Has thanked: 1129 times
Been thanked: 310 times
Some ideas for less expensive mounting options:

BP-02 rail.
http://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-type/bp- ... tered.html

American made version?
http://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-type/pat ... -rail.html

Another option:
http://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-type/vom ... -rail.html

Kalinka has some other options. I found this as well, from Stormwerkz, and like the idea:
http://stormwerkz.com/scope-mounts/bulg ... ope-mount/

Probably more complicated than I have the tools for right now :(

I have not looked for destruction tests on any of these optic mounting options.

_________________
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:35 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm
Posts: 2720
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 161 times
woodsghost wrote:
Some ideas for less expensive mounting options:

BP-02 rail.
http://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-type/bp- ... tered.html

American made version?
http://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-type/pat ... -rail.html

Another option:
http://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-type/vom ... -rail.html

Kalinka has some other options. I found this as well, from Stormwerkz, and like the idea:
http://stormwerkz.com/scope-mounts/bulg ... ope-mount/

Probably more complicated than I have the tools for right now :(

I have not looked for destruction tests on any of these optic mounting options.


I like the Kalinka options. They need some marketing help. NEver heard of them. I just wish they would put up pics with the low profile mounts on an AK. SO you can see just how low profile it is. Like is it as low profile as the RS Regulate low profile mount? At it's much lower price point I'd be willing to try the Kalinka out.

_________________
http://www.legionarms.com

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:55 am 
Offline
* *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 242
Location: Garden City, MI
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 4 times
A couple all purpose AK's heading out with me. :oh:

Image
Out for a Drive by Damage Photos, on Flickr

_________________
Preparing to prep.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:41 pm 
Offline
* * * *
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:40 pm
Posts: 993
Location: SC
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 42 times
I like that Midwest RD mount. I'd rock that with a primary arms 50k hour red dot and a tech sights rear Peep. OR maybe even leave the peep of since the MidWest mount has a rear sight. Use whatever furniture.

_________________
It stops being funny when it starts being you.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:56 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Posts: 3901
Location: Nasty Natti, Ohio
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 13 times
Just bought an ALG trigger and enhanced hammer spring. Eager to see how it compares to the G2 trigger.

_________________
Meat N' Taters wrote:
Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.

Jvandenhaus wrote:
Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:15 am 
Offline
* *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:16 pm
Posts: 166
Location: Seattle
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Bearcat wrote:
Just bought an ALG trigger and enhanced hammer spring. Eager to see how it compares to the G2 trigger.


I did a review of it: http://blog.waguns.org/?p=106

I've installed it on all of my AKs that I regularly shoot.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:19 am 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 5057
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 28 times
thrillbilly wrote:
This is about the final setup for my AK, just need to add a flashlight and mount up front. I MIGHT swap stocks but since I shortened the factory stock, Im liking it quite a bit, just sorta want a folding stock for no real reason.

Image

I love guns with real world wear. All I can think is "Well made, and well enjoyed."

AS556 wrote:
TLO, try Oregon. I love it here.

Same. Been here about 10 years, only one other place in the CONUS I'd even consider living in.

_________________
goofygurl wrote:
Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:51 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Posts: 3901
Location: Nasty Natti, Ohio
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 13 times
benja455 wrote:
Bearcat wrote:
Just bought an ALG trigger and enhanced hammer spring. Eager to see how it compares to the G2 trigger.


I did a review of it: http://blog.waguns.org/?p=106

I've installed it on all of my AKs that I regularly shoot.

Thanks. Nice review

_________________
Meat N' Taters wrote:
Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.

Jvandenhaus wrote:
Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:12 pm 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Posts: 7400
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 122 times
I bought an AMD63 from Classic Firearms a few weeks back and I've been busy making it mine. Found out a few things while modding it.

1: Apparently the Hungarians use a smaller sized handguard retainer. I swapped out the donkey dong handguard with a Magpul AKM MOE handguard and had to spend about an hour filing it down and finally taking a rubber mallet and whacking the piss out of it to get it fitted properly.

2: I added a Tapco trigger retainer plate and again had to file it a bit to get it to fit my gun. No big deal there, but kind of frustrating.

3: The biggest headache was the buttstock. I took my new gun apart to swap the fixed stock with a collapsible one I've had kicking around my parts bin since I put a Zhukov-S stock on my first AK. Upon fieldstripping my gun, I found one of the screws holding it on was broken. It broke because whatever monkey put it together torqued the hell out of it. Ten minutes of whacking the stock with the aforementioned rubber mallet freed it and I put the Vltor AK stock adapter on it. I found out the rear tang was slightly out of spec (the screw hole on the Vltor adapter tube didn't line up right). So out comes the mallet and I fitted the set up to my gun. A couple dabs of blue Loc-tite later and that sucker ain't going anywhere unless I want it to.

All in all, I knew going into this rifle that I'd have to hand fit some parts, but I didn't think it'd be all of them. I've got the rifle set up the way I like it and probably won't add anything else to it aside from a sling and maybe a light later on.

_________________
Writer of "October Rising"
"Looking Forward, Looking Back"
"Looking Homeward"

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:14 am 
Offline
* *

Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:17 pm
Posts: 263
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 7 times
As of today, is there any consensus as to what the best AK (or top few) is on the market? I don't mean a custom gun like a Fuller either. Just a regular AK you can buy off the proverbial shelf.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group