The All Purpose AK Thread

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by moab » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:58 pm

A couple AK's and an AR for great prices.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthrea ... ost4944777
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:27 pm

moab wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:58 pm
A couple AK's and an AR for great prices.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthrea ... ost4944777
If you still have one of those Romys with the Polish barrels in like 3 months... Lemme know.

I doubt you will... But they are fine pieces. I just can't swing a rifle right now or I'd be all over it!!!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:09 pm

Do these count as AKs? I think they're dreamy...

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ak-47/ak-v.html

Checked several pages and didn't see them mentioned. Apologies if this is a dupe,
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:49 pm

Since it doesn't look like Ciener is going to be making any of their AK .22 kits anytime soon....

[SHOT 2019] Armamentos .22LR AK Conversion Kit

Now you can take your actual AK47 and caliber convert it to shoot .22LR. Somewhat similar in concept to the CMMG style, the Armamentos AK conversion kit is a simple drop in kit. You remove the factory bolt/piston and recoil spring. Then you install a .22LR barrel that slides down inside the 7.62 caliber barrel. Install the new .22LR bolt and reinstall the factory recoil spring.

This kit only works with stamped receiver style AKs due to the folded lips.... The .22LR conversion bolt uses the folded lips as rails to slide along. You could possibly modify a milled receiver to have a similar rail but that would require some precision milling.

The kit comes with a metal AK47 magazine that has a .22LR insert to feed 30rds of .22LR....The kit is available through ArmamentosUSA.com and retails for just $269.95.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:31 am

Anybody else thinking about
getting an Alpha AK when they comeout? Sounds like they are going to be about $1400-1800 msrp.
Ive seen Kalashnikov USA and CAA talk about them. Is there connection between these two companies or are they both just getting into the custom AK market?

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... lashnikov/

http://youtu.be/ZxhTNZ1wAsc

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:18 pm

JF89 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:31 am
getting an Alpha AK when they comeout? Sounds like they are going to be about $1400-1800 msrp.
Ive seen Kalashnikov USA and CAA talk about them. Is there connection between these two companies or are they both just getting into the custom AK market?

I still kind of want an IWI Galil ACE in 7.62x39. The prices on those are coming down a little, but it's a bit high for me at this point.

On the other hand, I can score a new PSA AK (I forget what their latest generation AK is called) for around 600 bucks, or less if I get a blemished one.

All my AK experience is with the 7.62 models, so I'll likely stick with that caliber in AKs.

JF89

Post by JF89 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:53 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:18 pm
JF89 wrote:

I still kind of want an IWI Galil ACE in 7.62x39. The prices on those are coming down a little, but it's a bit high for me at this point.

On the other hand, I can score a new PSA AK (I forget what their latest generation AK is called) for around 600 bucks, or less if I get a blemished one.

All my AK experience is with the 7.62 models, so I'll likely stick with that caliber in AKs.
I agree on those PSA AKs though, they look great for the price. I want one chambered in 5.56. The fact that they switched over to forged parts is a big plus.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:26 pm

JF89 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:53 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
JF89 wrote:

I agree on those PSA AKs though, they look great for the price. I want one chambered in 5.56. The fact that they switched over to forged parts is a big plus.
I'm hoping the PSA AK will do well for an American made AK and we'll see more come out. I'd also like to see AK prices come back down to a sane level, but who knows how long that'll be.

With SHOT Show over, I'm now torn between trying to save up for a Ruger PC9 carbine or another AK to fill the hole left by my selling my Hungarian AK.

JF89

Post by JF89 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:30 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:26 pm
JF89 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:53 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
JF89 wrote:

I'm hoping the PSA AK will do well for an American made AK and we'll see more come out. I'd also like to see AK prices come back down to a sane level, but who knows how long that'll be.

With SHOT Show over, I'm now torn between trying to save up for a Ruger PC9 carbine or another AK to fill the hole left by my selling my Hungarian AK.
The prices on AKs are crazy right now. Kalashnikov USA needs to stop with the limited runs already and give us some real AKs.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:32 pm

I'm with you on that one, JF89.

Prices on AKs went nuts a couple years back (I think it was because of the whole Russia/Ukraine conflict) and they haven't come back down to a sane level.

Don't get me wrong, I've got no problem paying for quality AKs, but I'm not paying 900 bucks plus for an AK built by the drunken monkeys at Century or I.O.

For that money, I'm picking something from Arsenal or going a bit higher and getting a Krebs or something from Rifle Dynamics. At least then I know why my wallet is screaming at me. :lol:

JF89

Post by JF89 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:59 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:32 pm

Prices on AKs went nuts a couple years back (I think it was because of the whole Russia/Ukraine conflict) and they haven't come back down to a sane level.

Don't get me wrong, I've got no problem paying for quality AKs, but I'm not paying 900 bucks plus for an AK built by the drunken monkeys at Century or I.O.

For that money, I'm picking something from Arsenal or going a bit higher and getting a Krebs or something from Rifle Dynamics. At least then I know why my wallet is screaming at me. :lol:
I just want $300 Saigas and Wasrs again. I am not hard to please.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:36 pm

JF89 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:59 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I miss those days too, but I doubt we'll get back to that point anytime soon. I'd like to be proven wrong, though.

I mean, we used to think ARs were going to be high priced for a long time and now you can find decent ones for a little under 500 bucks (less if you build your own and catch sales). I remember the days when a quality AR would set you back at least 800 bucks. Now we're seeing them for around 500 or less.

With that said, maybe we'll get back to sub-400 dollar AKs that don't suck one day.

JF89

Post by JF89 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:12 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:36 pm
JF89 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:59 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I miss those days too, but I doubt we'll get back to that point anytime soon. I'd like to be proven wrong, though.

I mean, we used to think ARs were going to be high priced for a long time and now you can find decent ones for a little under 500 bucks (less if you build your own and catch sales). I remember the days when a quality AR would set you back at least 800 bucks. Now we're seeing them for around 500 or less.

With that said, maybe we'll get back to sub-400 dollar AKs that don't suck one day.
I mean at this rate we will eventually end up being third world then we will see $50 AKs but ammo might be hard to find.

grennels

Post by grennels » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:56 pm

Yep. I bought my cherry Saiga for $300 about 7 years ago.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

moab

Post by moab » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:02 pm

Wondering of anyone runs an offset flashlight mount and red dot on an RS Regulate 303m full length scope mount? My red dot is a Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot. Pretty small. Not sure if both will fit. Rifle is in another location. Otherwise I'd slap it on and see.

Would look something like this but with a small red dot added on the back. I also have a Primary Arms magnifier. But I doubt all three would fit. Maybe...

Trying to get rid of my aluminum railed handguard. If I can mount the flashlight and scope to the rear mount. I could do that. Probably just switch the hg out for something in og polymer i.e. - lighter weight. And it seems like it would bring the front heavyweight back to the center point. This is what it looks like now. Sans rear scope mount, scope and flashlight. I built it with a new Romanian kit and Polish cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel, Polish large mag paddle and extended Polish safety. Polish Beryl Aluminum folding stock. This is my fold up into a large backpack AK bug out gun. Not fully painted. But a ranger green base coat.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:56 pm

Having a light that far back is no bueno.

On my old Beryl Archer I used an RS Regulate barrel mount coupled with an offset light mount.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

moab

Post by moab » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:08 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:56 pm
Having a light that far back is no bueno.

On my old Beryl Archer I used an RS Regulate barrel mount coupled with an offset light mount.

Did the barrel mount hurt your accuracy any? Why is a light that far back bad?

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:36 pm

Moab,

The only reason I would mount a light near the scope/red dot is to leave the light constantly on while hunting at night. I have seen predator hunting rigs like that. With your military background I'm sure you are well aware you don't want a light constantly on if in a military situation. And the purpose of the light is to flash areas and peek into the dark, then move. This is difficult/impossible to do with a light so far back. Even with a cord and pressure plate I would be hesitant because of the front sight/gas block causing a massive shadow. And cord/pressure plate options can fall off unless zip tied or otherwise positively attached to the weapon.

If you are fighting a front heavy feel, what do you think about ejecting the front sight and using a gas block/sight combo?

What about a Magpul forend with the M-Lok stuff as a light weight option up front? Just an idea. That is what I will be doing.

Oh, and I cannot speak for Rick, but my barrel mounted light has not affected accuracy that I can tell.

BTW, to fix front imbalance, what about attaching a mag pouch to the stock? Something else I plan to do.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:57 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:36 pm
Moab,

The only reason I would mount a light near the scope/red dot is to leave the light constantly on while hunting at night. I have seen predator hunting rigs like that. With your military background I'm sure you are well aware you don't want a light constantly on if in a military situation. And the purpose of the light is to flash areas and peek into the dark, then move. This is difficult/impossible to do with a light so far back. Even with a cord and pressure plate I would be hesitant because of the front sight/gas block causing a massive shadow. And cord/pressure plate options can fall off unless zip tied or otherwise positively attached to the weapon.

If you are fighting a front heavy feel, what do you think about ejecting the front sight and using a gas block/sight combo?

What about a Magpul forend with the M-Lok stuff as a light weight option up front? Just an idea. That is what I will be doing.

Oh, and I cannot speak for Rick, but my barrel mounted light has not affected accuracy that I can tell.
I've never used a weapon light. So thank you so much for your detailed reply. I get the part about not wanting a light on all the time. I have a pressure switch on the light. Turning it off and on towards the rear of the weapon seems easy enough. But if it's going to cast a big stupid shadow then no.

Taking it apart and redoing the front site/gas block isn't something I want to do. But that's a good idea. I'll probably just stick to swapping hg's at this point. That railed hg has got to weigh as much if not more than the front sight.

I am concerned about the front weight though. I think just changing the hand guard out for a polymer one and an aluminum flashlight mount from RS Regulate should reduce it some. I'd be happy with that. Although I have not checked the actual weight advantage. But that big railed hand guard has got to weigh a lot more than a polymer one and a little light mount. I was also trying to keep as much weight over the balance point as possible too. Thus the idea about bringing the flashlight to the rear. Either that or I'll just swap out handguards. And carry a flashlight. But that little flashlight mount from RS has got to weigh nothing. My scope sight weighs barely anything.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:41 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:57 pm

I've never used a weapon light. So thank you so much for your detailed reply. I get the part about not wanting a light on all the time. I have a pressure switch on the light. Turning it off and on towards the rear of the weapon seems easy enough. But if it's going to cast a big stupid shadow then no.
I am concerned about the front weight though. I think just changing the hand guard out for a polymer one and an aluminum flashlight mount from RS Regulate should reduce it some.
You might as well try the light further back. And test to make sure what I'm saying is accurate. But my experience is even when my light is as far forward as Rick's, I still get some shadow, but in an acceptable place. And I'm pretty sure if it was a good idea we would see more people do it.

I think switching out an aluminum handguard for plastic will make significant weight savings.

I mentioned in an edit in my earlier post I mentioned that a mag on the buttstock might help with weight distribution, but I think I edited a bit late.

Plastic mags (with steel inserts) might help too. I'm sure this is not news to you.

With lights, you can shine directly on the target (urban or rual). You can also splash light off walls or ceilings (urban) to get a flash image of the area and then either move or engage. Pie and flash again.

I would not try to work a rifle with a separated flash light. Unless I was literally fighting TWD zombies and even then I'd prefer a mounted light. But that brings up the question "how important is a light on your rifle?" You didn't need one when you were pooping and scooting in the woods.

Right now my light is not on my rifle. It was on my shotgun but recently I've been just keeping a pistol and detached light on the bed stand. This is because my apartment is pretty tight quarters. It would be better to have a light mounted directly on my pistol.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:50 am

It's an AK... I just taped a light to mine for a little bit. I never shot it like that, but Coast LEDs are cheap and it felt solid. You gotta brace it with duct tape to keep it level.

It looked gnarly and cool. I got inspiration from Left For Dead 2 hahaha

Edit, taped it under the handguard didn't feel right, so the right side since I'm right handed. More of a level surface.

I don't expect this to be taken seriously
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

JF89

Post by JF89 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:32 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:50 am
It's an AK... I just taped a light to mine for a little bit. I never shot it like that, but Coast LEDs are cheap and it felt solid. You gotta brace it with duct tape to keep it level.

It looked gnarly and cool. I got inspiration from Left For Dead 2 hahaha

Edit, taped it under the handguard didn't feel right, so the right side since I'm right handed. More of a level surface.

I don't expect this to be taken seriously
Ive taped a light to my AR and used it in a few drills. Gorilla tape is a wonderful invention.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:35 am

Magpul furniture is pretty cool stuff. I'm sure other makers are good too, but if anyone is interested, I'm really liking Magpul furniture and will probably switch out my mags for Magpul Gen 3 mags.

The MOE handguard is very nice and allows gripping further forward on the gun than standard mil handguards. The gun feels lighter and faster. It also feels more secure in handling.

The Magpul grip is very nice. I really don't have much to compare the grip to except the mil one. However, with the MOE handguard lighting things up, and the greater girth of the grip means I can control the gun with my shooting hand easier. I can actually fold the stock and hold the rifle out as a pistol. Yeah, I'm a little shaky, but I don't have a hat much strength and control with the mil grip. I wonder if a TAPCO SAW grip would be even better. I have long piano player hands and decent grip strength, so I don't imagine everyone will have the same experience, but I want to share mine. I never thought changing the grip would make so much difference. I opted for the grip without the rubber serface, so that could further impact the experience. I don't know enough to know how the experience might change. But the hard plastic Magpul grip has aggressive texturing on the sides, and I really like that. I feel it aids in control.

The Zhukov stock has had about a million reviews. I really like it. It is pretty solid. I like the adjustment in LOP. However, when I bring mine tight into my shoulder, it has a noisy flexing of plastic. I don't know if this is a general experience or not. I love how the rubber on the butt grabs the shoulder and prevents slipping. This greatly aids in keeping the stock where it needs to be instead of sliding around. It is a serious step up over the smooth mil buttpad.

To repeat: the forend offers greater control, M-LOK capability, and longer reach with the support hand.

The grip offers more control over the gun.

The stock offers folding capability, adjustable LOP, and greater connection to the shoulder.

My only issues is the attachment of QD swivels to the handguard. I got the one which does not require drilling into the plastic of the handguard, but this choice means the swivel/attachment stick quite far out from the handguard. This is combined with the wider Magpul MOE handguard and means the whole package sticks rather far out off the side of the rifle. Others may not care as much. And I can change the QD mount to a lower profile one which drills into the handguard and sets the swivel deeper, saving maybe 1/4 inch. Or change to a fixed (low profile) forward sling mounting point with no QD ability. Right now I'm done spending money on things which are not "ammo," so no changes will be made for a while.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”