The All Purpose AK Thread

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

thrillbilly

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by thrillbilly » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:38 pm

ultra magnus wrote:
Midwest has an aimpoint mount upper, that will co witness, that said I have had the mi with co witnessing aimpoint mount and aimpoint. I switched to the ultimak. What do you need the quadrail for?

Oh I dont NEED the bottom rail handguard. I just like the look (I admit that)

I know people dont like quads anymore because they are heavy and big....the Yugo is gonna be heavy anyways lol and I have big hands, the ARs with big quad handguards feel better to me then the skinny FF tubes.

At any rate...Im gonna go with what everyone decides...the Ultimak. I dont see any point in disregarding y'alls T&E work...saves me money. I can buy surplus ''battlefield'' Yugo wood handguards for 22$ so that will work for lower (and upper until I buy Ultimak).

I just want an optic and a light...so the Ultimak works for that. (the MI still LOOKS sexy though by golly)

I just placed the order today...should be here in ''3-10'' days! I went with the solid stock model. M70B1
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Just a thought, couldn't you load up some 90-100gr 7.62x39 loads in the 2,800 fps range with a .30 cal OTM? Seems to me that would be about an ideal defensive rifle round.

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:00 pm

I know one of y'all has a Omega Weapons System mount to install a SKS spike bayonet to your AK...I saw pics of it here.

If I can get my hands on one of those mounts....I can have new ones CNC machined.

Who was it that owns one?

I know the Chinese 56S AKMs came factory with spike bayonets. Omega still sells the bayonets, and the bayo-cut AK handguards...but they no longer sell the mounts...which is the crucial part.

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Century did OK on this one

no canted sights, stock or barrel...

No mag wobble (with steel...the tapco one wiggles some but I aint gonna be using them)

I'm loving this rifle! Had time to shoot 20 thru it before work

The yugo style stock WILL bite your cheekbone unless you slide up on it like on a AR...nose almost touching receiver...then it shoots like a pussycat.

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by jaowens76 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:51 pm

Das Sheep... I love my AMD. It doesn't get along with yugo mags as well as any of the others due to a semi tight magwell, but all my bulgy and polish mags slide in nicely.

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:55 pm

I can't say enough good about the Hogue....I was torn between it and US Palm....I still aint handled the US Palm but I have ZERO regrets about buying the Hogue (so far)

Love the Tapco A2 FH too...only added 1/4'' and looks so much better....it's just getting dark enough to test it. G2 and A2 are only tapcofucked things ever gonna be on my AK, the mag is just in it for panting purposes...I guess I might as well use it until I break or wear it out.

After stippling, before painting

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:21 pm

Thrillbilly I am loving the grenade sight on that rifle, I really dig the look that it gives the rifle.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:31 pm

This is just how effective my flash hider on my amd65 is

ZS#4545

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:06 pm

Here's the flash from my AMD. I think its sexy.

I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:16 pm

I popped a couple rounds thru each MD last night...the FH works pretty well.

if I want to make fireballs I can use my Mosin carbines.....m38 and m44 make some fireworks in low-light.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:11 pm

FYI, just found out the hard way that rifle dynamic ar stock adapters are a few mills off of the positions of Saiga 12 tang hole positions. I'm not worried about boring out the hole inside of the trunion but I am worried about taking material away at the end of the tang.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

Vladimir
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil dead

Post by Vladimir » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:34 pm

If you have the will and the money get the polish archer with scope top rail . Holds zero perfect ! 223 as well as NATO cal , and watching parts count or switching some foreign for USA parts you can do a beryl copy . They don't shoot as well with any ammo heavier than 55 grain . But very accurate . It's the best of the ak design
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the Lord did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats

abe froman 76

Post by abe froman 76 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:26 pm

hi guys. New guy here. I've got a few ak kits that I've been meaning to build. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a set of toth tools and knock them out. I was lurking on her in the past and someone had a thread about a tool loaning program, anyone know if that's still active?

the build parties seem to be a thing of the past in this area.

if I buy the tools, I may have to find another kit our two just to make it worth while. not that that's a bad thing, little expensive these days though

Vladimir
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil dead

Post by Vladimir » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:38 pm

I don't know about tool loaning . It's too expensive to build nowadays . I'm a builder . You have barreled kits? Virgin kits ? Virgin barrels? What you working with parts kit wise?
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the Lord did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats

abe froman 76

Post by abe froman 76 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:19 pm

Vladimir wrote:I don't know about tool loaning . It's too expensive to build nowadays . I'm a builder . You have barreled kits? Virgin kits ? Virgin barrels? What you working with parts kit wise?
I've got two original barrel g kits and an bulgarian 74 with a US virgin barrel. nodak receiver with trunion/tang holes, a dci that needs front and back. 80% 74 receiver that I may just end up selling and getting a nodak.

I may end up sending them out to get built, but I'd really like to give it a go myself.

shoggoth80
Favorite Zombie Movies: Too many to list in total. The Romero films are classic... but Fido cracks me up!

Post by shoggoth80 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:14 am

I have been living under a rock the past several months. Magpul makes AK mags now? Can't buy them anywhere, they are all sold out. Missed a batch of bakelite ones too. Lol.
The set up of my AKM has not changed since I got it put together with Ultimak rail, Vtac sling, Tapco hider, and green/black furniture. Gonna have to flit through the backlog of AK related posts (it spent some time on pawn loan, so I have had little motivation to keep up with things).

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:53 pm

added a MOE rail and MOE grip, it was the stubby model but I trimmed another inch off of it. It provides me a good anchor point but doesnt interfere with unloads/reloads. The original length didnt interfere with reloads, but I would bang it with mag while unloading. Taking an inch off solved the problem.

I'm really disgruntled that PA's ultimak/RDS combo isnt offered in the Yugo version of Ultimak. I will have to buy them separately at higher cost :vmad:

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:58 pm

Sexy. You gonna paint the mags and stuff to match, or gonna leave some accent pieces black? Also what primer did you use? MY old man has a Saiga 20 he's thinking about rattlecanning, but apparently his first try peeled off like snakeskin.

Also, pics when the RDS gets in. That's gonna be a purdy riffle.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:41 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Sexy. You gonna paint the mags and stuff to match, or gonna leave some accent pieces black? Also what primer did you use? MY old man has a Saiga 20 he's thinking about rattlecanning, but apparently his first try peeled off like snakeskin.

Also, pics when the RDS gets in. That's gonna be a purdy riffle.
Thanks...I like it.

I'm leaving all the add-ons black. I just couldnt take the all-black shiny plastic look of the base rifle.

I used Rustoleum Camo paint, cleaned it with brake-cleaner first. No primer. It is wearing on the sharp edges and where I handle it most...but that's ok, they look better used then they do freshly-camoed. It's not a safe queen.

I think the pre-cleaning is most important...Ive painted a LOT of guns and if you dont clean and degrease/oil them...the paint dont last at all. I also let it hang for almost 72 hours after painting before I touched it. Lets the paint cure.

If you're disassembling the rifle, and only painting the metal, it helps to use the hi-temp BBQ grill paint, then cure it in oven at ~200 degrees for an hour or so.

it ALL comes off...the factory camo-dips..the paints, the duracoat, the other stuff...if you use it hard, it wears. I live with it, and embrace the worn look.

I'm pretty excited to try the red dot...but it may be awhile, other projects and guns to buy lol

pyzik
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), 28 Days and Weeks Later, Quarantine

Post by pyzik » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:52 am

thrillbilly wrote: Image
Perfect knife to complement an AK and a Glock.
Preparing to prep.

Charra

Post by Charra » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:57 pm

Is there any non-wood options for M92 pistol handguards?

I kind of want it to be completely black so the bakelite magazines will stand out more.

I saw the railed ones by Midwest, but I really don't want to go tacticool.

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:08 pm

Charra wrote:Is there any non-wood options for M92 pistol handguards?

I kind of want it to be completely black so the bakelite magazines will stand out more.

I saw the railed ones by Midwest, but I really don't want to go tacticool.
http://shop.roninsgrips.com/Yugoslavian ... uleCut.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

those look pretty OK

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:28 am

thrillbilly wrote:I can't say enough good about the Hogue....I was torn between it and US Palm....I still aint handled the US Palm but I have ZERO regrets about buying the Hogue (so far)

Love the Tapco A2 FH too...only added 1/4'' and looks so much better....it's just getting dark enough to test it. G2 and A2 are only tapcofucked things ever gonna be on my AK, the mag is just in it for panting purposes...I guess I might as well use it until I break or wear it out.

After stippling, before painting

I am so torn between giving my AK a camo paint job or leaving it an "Evil Black Rifle". Thrillbilly I love the look of your camo job. I kind of like the stippling too. If money wasn't an issue I would buy a second AK so I could keep one black and camo the other one. I am still thinking I may camo mine when it warms up this year.

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:05 pm

added a magpul rail and magpul vertical grip.

Not for using as a grip, just a handstop to assist me in a modified C-grip up front.

I may need a new stock, the length is perfect for my 6'6'' frame but everyone else thinks its too long. Good excuse to get the ACE stock.

The camo is getting nice and wore in...if you want it perfect, you better not camo it, or use it as a safe queen then. I beat mine like a stubborn mule...I like all the marks and scars.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”