The All Purpose AK Thread

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by jaowens76 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:41 am

As requested here are a few pics of my rifle with the Tekko lower HG and the tiny bit of dremel work required to install it.

and here

and finally here is the rifle the grip is also from MFT and feels awesome. It fills the hand a lot better and has some traction

Notice the tape, I am planning on painting it as soon as humidity drops below 200%. We had a deluge from midnight on.

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:05 am

Looks good thats the same grip I have and I like it a lot too. Do get the cheek riser it makes all the difference in the world shooting. Between my daughter and I we have run around 1000 rounds through the amd since I built it and really like it. Perfect size for a truck gun.
ZS#4545

SwimToast
Favorite Zombie Movies: Land of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead (2k4)
Dead Alive
28 Days/Weeks

Also while not a movie, the comic "The Walking Dead"

Post by SwimToast » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:50 pm

I need some people to weigh in. I've decided to get a scope for my WASR-10 and I've narrowed it down to the POSP line. Im trying to decide to between a 4x or 6x scope though and I wanted some advice. The 4x seems to be the base line that most people go to but the 6x has diopter model and since I wear corrective lenses on occasion this would be a nice benefit. However 6x seems like overkill... especially with a 42mm objective lens.

I realize that the ak isn't a sniper rifle and the scope wont make it a sniper rifle. What I would like is a something with some magnification for the range and possibly as a last resort should SHTF. So what are your thoughts ZS?

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:12 pm

I have shot ak's with the posp 4x and the only issue I had was the rubber eyepiece while wearing glasses. The range finder works pretty good and overall they are a pretty quick easy scope to use. Its pretty easy to use in the 400yard and under range, you get a little more precision at long ranges with the 6x and thats about it. The drop at that range is pretty steep though so its more like dropping artillery in than aiming.
ZS#4545

Hanzo

Post by Hanzo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:06 pm

Looking at getting the midwest industries SS handguard and was wondering wether to get the extended version or not. Mostly worried about it being too cluttered with a light mont on it. Anyone think this would be an issue?
-Okonkwo stood looking at the dead man. He knew that Umuofia would not go to war. He knew because they had let the other messengers escape. They had broken into tumult instead of action. He discerned fright in that tumult. He heard voices asking: 'Why did he do it?'
Chinua Achebe

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Hanzo wrote:Looking at getting the midwest industries SS handguard and was wondering wether to get the extended version or not. Mostly worried about it being too cluttered with a light mont on it. Anyone think this would be an issue?
The extended ones are going on my next AK, I have decided I really like a VFG mounted out towards the end of a long handguard.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Hanzo

Post by Hanzo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:47 am

So whats the ZS collective think about waffen works Aks?
-Okonkwo stood looking at the dead man. He knew that Umuofia would not go to war. He knew because they had let the other messengers escape. They had broken into tumult instead of action. He discerned fright in that tumult. He heard voices asking: 'Why did he do it?'
Chinua Achebe

Captain Hero

Post by Captain Hero » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:42 pm

SwimToast wrote:I need some people to weigh in. I've decided to get a scope for my WASR-10 and I've narrowed it down to the POSP line. Im trying to decide to between a 4x or 6x scope though and I wanted some advice. The 4x seems to be the base line that most people go to but the 6x has diopter model and since I wear corrective lenses on occasion this would be a nice benefit. However 6x seems like overkill... especially with a 42mm objective lens.

I realize that the ak isn't a sniper rifle and the scope wont make it a sniper rifle. What I would like is a something with some magnification for the range and possibly as a last resort should SHTF. So what are your thoughts ZS?
Optics will tighten up your groups more than many people think.
If you live nothing, you are nothing

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:59 pm

I would add that optics will tighten your groups more than people think is possible with an ak.
ZS#4545

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:02 pm

Hanzo wrote:So whats the ZS collective think about waffen works Aks?
Since they are from bulgarian kits and have a chrome lined barrel I would think they are as good as most ak's and better than century aks. I havn't handled one personally but I have shot a lot of bulgarians with no issues at all. Just good ol standard ak's.
ZS#4545

Charra

Post by Charra » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:50 am

Hanzo wrote:So whats the ZS collective think about waffen works Aks?
They're good, if Waffen Werks doesn't screw you over.

They have horrifying customer service to deal with, and their "repairs" are non existent.

I have an AK that has a canted gas block, front sight and rear sight, so I sent it back to them to have all that fixed.

They sent it back a week later, nothing had been done, and by nothing I mean they just shipped it back without it's case, instead they stuffed it into a cardboard box with a note that said "could not find the problems you requested" with a little courtesy "thank you for your business" line to rub it in.

The canting is evident, and anyone familiar with an AK74 will notice it.

So I called them four times, was put on hold the first two times to the point of where I gave up, then they hung up on me the last two times.

So now, I don't recommend them, if you buy a piss-poor rifle from them you're stuck with it.

cheech_sp

Post by cheech_sp » Wed May 01, 2013 9:58 am

That sucks Charra. If you get it fixed, update us about it. I sent my Saiga to Cadiz to fix its canted front sight block, back when they used to do the warranty work on them. They managed to make it canted in the other direction! And now they don't do warranty work anymore. I'm sure someone in St Louis could fix it, but I haven't found anybody yet.

NoSt8mnt
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land. shaun of the dead. 28 weeks later.

Post by NoSt8mnt » Fri May 03, 2013 6:19 pm

got my midwest industries rail and damage industries muzzle brake in the mail today. time to bring my ak up to date.
before:
after:

kontraktniki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by kontraktniki » Sat May 11, 2013 12:48 am

Toying with the idea of snagging a PK-A or PK-01V to throw on my SGL 21. I originally intended to go with a 1-4x scope, Leupold/Nikon/Burris, on a side mount like I have on my VEPR, but the more I think about it a red dot makes sense. If I were to go with an Aimpoint Pro Patrol or something along those lines, I think I would benefit from the TWS dogleg rail (had looked at Parabellums AKARS...reviews indicate that holding zero is an issue), but at the same time could just use a KVar or RS mount.

But, to the point, the PKs intrigue me because, for one, they were desigend for the AK, come with an integrated mounting system which would appear to be solid as solid gets, and they aren't particulary expensive. I can get one for about the same price as a Vortex Strikefire. Big issue is battery life with the PK-A, clocking in under 100 hours of continuous use, though the 01-V is good for ~500 hours which I could live with.

Ideally I'd get a PK-AS as it has solid battery life + black reticle when the batteries do die.

Any thoughts on the original PK-A (not the Venezuela...have not been able to find one for my life)?

Polley

Post by Polley » Sat May 11, 2013 1:00 am

Last edited by Polley on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Todd.

kontraktniki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by kontraktniki » Sat May 11, 2013 4:46 am

Polley wrote:
Girlfriend's rifle uses an RS Regulate AKMN 30mm mount with AimPoint PRO: zero complaints.

Does not impede disassembly, allows cowitnessing of the iron sights (lower 1/3), and has three years of battery life continuous-on.
Yea, and at the price point the Pro is hard to beat. I might have to just go that route, as even if I did buy the PK-A I'd likely end up going with the Aimpoint Pro after the fact. Save money on the front end, be happy with the first purchase.

Polley

Post by Polley » Sat May 11, 2013 10:15 am

Last edited by Polley on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Todd.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Sat May 11, 2013 7:54 pm

I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sat May 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Looks like you needed some hair on the chamber.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Sat May 11, 2013 9:23 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:Looks like you needed some hair on the chamber.
It was a failure to extract.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

kontraktniki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by kontraktniki » Sun May 12, 2013 7:10 am

Polley wrote:
The RS AKMN mount also lets you center it over the bore correctly as it's adjustable. I think the PK-series sits offset to the left.
Snatched up the RS Regulate AK-300 mount...plan on pairing it with either the Aimpoint PRO Patrol or Comp ML2. Working on making that purchase as we speak, whenever I make up my mind, that is.

kontraktniki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by kontraktniki » Sun May 12, 2013 10:12 am

...and I went with the Aimpoint PRO. :crazy:

Now, if I could only get my hands on an SGL 31...

Polley

Post by Polley » Sun May 12, 2013 10:29 am

Last edited by Polley on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Todd.

kontraktniki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by kontraktniki » Sun May 12, 2013 11:44 am

Polley wrote:
kontraktniki wrote:...and I went with the Aimpoint PRO. :crazy:

Now, if I could only get my hands on an SGL 31...

K-Var is back in stock at ~$1,200.00 for an SGL 31-61.
I'd love to, but being overseas it really doesn't make much sense to do anything just yet. When I get home toward the end of the year or beginning of 2014 I'll get on that. Thanks for the heads up though, I'll pass that along to some people back home.

I'm almost hesitant to go 5.45 as I fear it will change my opinion of my 7.62x39mm AKs and render them obsolete. I can't say I've ever heard a 5.45 owner speak ill of them.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”