The All Purpose AK Thread

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
stimpy321972
* * * * *
Posts: 2268
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:28 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, shaun of the dead
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Contact:

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by stimpy321972 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote:
stimpy321972 wrote:Also got a Vickers Blue force Sling for a good price, thrown in. So it appears in fondling that I need a "HK" clip or an adapter to attach it to the left hand guard sling "slit" Any suggestions ??
1.25" VCAS sling? I like using a mash hook(link) on my two, far more secure than the HK clip. HK clips have dropped my rifle. Others have used BFG wire thingies with good results. Also, you may want to move the rear sling point to a more useful spot.
Image
^Here the sling supports the rifle during a mag change. The rifle stays solidly in the shoulder, held easily by one hand. The added stability lets you be very forceful, yet accurate and fast, so you don't flub insertion and get the mag jammed in the rifle wrong. I'm sure we've all tried to go faster than we were used to and rocked the rear in without having the front hooked.

Yes, the "skinny" VCAS sling, not the padded one.

Thanks, both for the suggestions, I had an order ready for Botach, I will ad those Mash Hooks to it and try those out.
MaxRite wrote:
BigBossMan wrote: My AR is a precision weapon.
Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)
AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Image
Call Sign: KK4JKV

ShaneP
* *
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by ShaneP » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:06 pm

I have a couple of questions for you guys...first do you think the wire will melt its not in contact with barrel gas block or gas tube? It took a while threading the zip ties through the holes behind the wire i used a tweezers. and than where the fore-end meets the receiver do you think i should plug the gap and if so with what?
As you can see however with the Mak-90 I did not have to remove my sling mount which was a plus...
Image Image
Image Image

Edit: I figured out how to re-size pictures to forum rules to get multiple pictures and on a side note I got a new cellphone Galaxy S2 the camera is amazing these photos where taken on it :)
I was a highway man along the coach roads i did ride, with sword and pistol by my side many of young men lost there marbles to my trade, and many a soldiers lost there blood upon my blade. The bastards hung me in the spring of 25 but im still alive. ~~ The highwaymen ~~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1bHaUk1CM

User avatar
Bearcat
* * * * *
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?
Location: Nasty Natti, Ohio

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by Bearcat » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:58 pm

ShaneP wrote:I have a couple of questions for you guys...first do you think the wire will melt its not in contact with barrel gas block or gas tube?
Possibly. Maybe not initially, but I think the constant thermal stress from the heat of barrel could compromise its integrity. I wouldn't trust it, but that's just my two cents.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9372
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by RickOShea » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:20 pm

Bearcat wrote:
ShaneP wrote:I have a couple of questions for you guys...first do you think the wire will melt its not in contact with barrel gas block or gas tube?
Possibly. Maybe not initially, but I think the constant thermal stress from the heat of barrel could compromise its integrity. I wouldn't trust it, but that's just my two cents.
LAV has used them on M240s and M249s (appearently wrapped around the barrels). And BFG's site says the outer coating may deform, but the inner S.S. core will stand-up to barrel heat just fine.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
Bearcat
* * * * *
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?
Location: Nasty Natti, Ohio

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by Bearcat » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:42 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Bearcat wrote:
ShaneP wrote:I have a couple of questions for you guys...first do you think the wire will melt its not in contact with barrel gas block or gas tube?
Possibly. Maybe not initially, but I think the constant thermal stress from the heat of barrel could compromise its integrity. I wouldn't trust it, but that's just my two cents.
LAV has used them on M240s and M249s (appearently wrapped around the barrels). And BFG's site says the outer coating may deform, but the inner S.S. core will stand-up to barrel heat just fine.
Learn something new every day. What does BFG stand for?
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

ShaneP
* *
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by ShaneP » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:47 pm

post deleted
Last edited by ShaneP on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TDW586
* * * * *
Posts: 8844
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:03 pm
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by TDW586 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Bearcat wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
Bearcat wrote:
ShaneP wrote:I have a couple of questions for you guys...first do you think the wire will melt its not in contact with barrel gas block or gas tube?
Possibly. Maybe not initially, but I think the constant thermal stress from the heat of barrel could compromise its integrity. I wouldn't trust it, but that's just my two cents.
LAV has used them on M240s and M249s (appearently wrapped around the barrels). And BFG's site says the outer coating may deform, but the inner S.S. core will stand-up to barrel heat just fine.
Learn something new every day. What does BFG stand for?

Blue Force Gear, the manufacturer.
Image

User avatar
Bearcat
* * * * *
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?
Location: Nasty Natti, Ohio

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by Bearcat » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:06 pm

TDW586 wrote:
Bearcat wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
Bearcat wrote: Possibly. Maybe not initially, but I think the constant thermal stress from the heat of barrel could compromise its integrity. I wouldn't trust it, but that's just my two cents.
LAV has used them on M240s and M249s (appearently wrapped around the barrels). And BFG's site says the outer coating may deform, but the inner S.S. core will stand-up to barrel heat just fine.
Learn something new every day. What does BFG stand for?

Blue Force Gear, the manufacturer.
Oh, he's using blue force gear wiring? That should be fine. He said zip ties and that's what stuck in my head.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

User avatar
Kutter_0311
* * * * *
Posts: 6135
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:44 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...
Location: Frozen Tundra, WI

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by Kutter_0311 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:41 pm

stimpy321972 wrote:
Kutter_0311 wrote:
stimpy321972 wrote:Also got a Vickers Blue force Sling for a good price, thrown in. So it appears in fondling that I need a "HK" clip or an adapter to attach it to the left hand guard sling "slit" Any suggestions ??
1.25" VCAS sling? I like using a mash hook(link) on my two, far more secure than the HK clip. HK clips have dropped my rifle. Others have used BFG wire thingies with good results. Also, you may want to move the rear sling point to a more useful spot.
Image
^Here the sling supports the rifle during a mag change. The rifle stays solidly in the shoulder, held easily by one hand. The added stability lets you be very forceful, yet accurate and fast, so you don't flub insertion and get the mag jammed in the rifle wrong. I'm sure we've all tried to go faster than we were used to and rocked the rear in without having the front hooked.
Yes, the "skinny" VCAS sling, not the padded one. Thanks, both for the suggestions, I had an order ready for Botach, I will ad those Mash Hooks to it and try those out.
Mine are unpadded also, it gives more adjustment length, and the rifle isn't heavy enough to warrant a pad. IMO, the mash hook works great up front, though I'm tempted to have my stitcher remove the buckle gear and sew the mashes right to the ends of the two I have. On the rear I have UTG QD swivels that go into Noveske sockets I implanted in both rifle's stocks, as you can see above. These slings are dedicated to these rifles, so I'm trying to strip off any unneeded components and simplify everything as much as I can to save weight and improve function.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

User avatar
TDW586
* * * * *
Posts: 8844
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:03 pm
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by TDW586 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Bearcat wrote: Oh, he's using blue force gear wiring? That should be fine. He said zip ties and that's what stuck in my head.

I missed that part, but yeah, pretty sure he was talking about Blue Force Gear Universal Wire Loops.
Image

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9372
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by RickOShea » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:25 pm

Bearcat wrote: Oh, he's using blue force gear wiring? That should be fine. He said zip ties and that's what stuck in my head.
I think I may have misinterpreted what I read.....My bad. :oops:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

ShaneP
* *
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by ShaneP » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Well ran 4 magazines through her today as fast as i could make magazine changes wires and zip ties didn't deform than fired 3 more magazines slower rate, took about 15 rounds to sight in Aimpoint prior to range visit i used the lollipop method with the iron sights and honed in on zero from there... it worked even though only get a lower 1/3 co-witness i wasn't sure because i have only used that method for a true co-witness on an AR...
I was a highway man along the coach roads i did ride, with sword and pistol by my side many of young men lost there marbles to my trade, and many a soldiers lost there blood upon my blade. The bastards hung me in the spring of 25 but im still alive. ~~ The highwaymen ~~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1bHaUk1CM

User avatar
AKFTW
* * * * *
Posts: 4176
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:49 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!
Location: VT
Contact:

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by AKFTW » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:47 am

stimpy321972 wrote:Ok, guys stopped by my local gun shop, one of my buddies said they just got in a batch of Arsenal's, SLG 21's and SLR 107F's. I say wow and run up there after my night shift. After several minutes of fondling the Arsenals', me looks up at the wall rack and see this pretty looking "WASR" ?? My friend says, that ain't no WASR, it's a milled ATI.

So I fondle it and notice, it is one of the smoothest and cleanest looking Ak variants, I have seen. The wood is beautiful, the metal has been milled and buffed with no sharp edges anywhere. From what I understand, it is an American made receiver (green machining inc.) ?? The barrel is a Shaw barrel, and all internals are American made, the rest is "new" Russian surplus, (Russian stamped "1975" w/ the "star" next to it). They offer it for $500, out the door with taxes and background included. SOLD me says and put it on hold till next week, I didn't have my passport, voter's ID or proof of citizenship with me, for an "Assault Rifle"

So, I have been researching it and it seems it is a thin-milled (1 mm) receiver, so you can use any part that will fit a stamped model. Any feed back, anyone with personal experience with it ?? I figure if it isn't impressive I can at least have another garage gun or bury gun :shock: , I have my SLG=21 for a BOB-Rifle.

Also got a Vickers Blue force Sling for a good price, thrown in. So it appears in fondling that I need a "HK" clip or an adapter to attach it to the left hand guard sling "slit" Any suggestions ??


Pic's to follow when I get my grubs on it.
ATI milled AKs are worse than a WASR, worse than IO Inc. They are out-of-spec screw builds on weird-ass receivers with mis matched parts and non-chrome US barrel. Don't let the pretty wood fool you!
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up
Image

Image

User avatar
Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 15976
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by Dave_M » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:48 am

If someone buys an ATI milled gun.. well, they deserve what they get....
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

User avatar
Kutter_0311
* * * * *
Posts: 6135
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:44 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...
Location: Frozen Tundra, WI

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:53 am

Dave_M wrote:If someone buys an ATI milled gun.. well, they deserve what they get....
:lol: He's already got an SGL21, so I guess this will be a 'learning' gun.

At some point, everyone should compare a top-teir gun to a mediocre gun, just to learn the difference.

I'd like to buy some high-grade 7.62x39 now, just so I can see how good things get 8-)
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

User avatar
stimpy321972
* * * * *
Posts: 2268
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:28 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, shaun of the dead
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Contact:

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by stimpy321972 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:07 am

Kutter_0311 wrote:
Dave_M wrote:If someone buys an ATI milled gun.. well, they deserve what they get....
:lol: He's already got an SGL21, so I guess this will be a 'learning' gun.

At some point, everyone should compare a top-teir gun to a mediocre gun, just to learn the difference.

I'd like to buy some high-grade 7.62x39 now, just so I can see how good things get 8-)


Different Tools for different scenarios. I am getting a ATI and now a NIB, AKMS U/F and a dozen more mags for less than the price of the SLR-107F, I was originally going to get.
Dave_M wrote:If someone buys an ATI milled gun.. well, they deserve what they get....

Thanks for the constructive advice !!
MaxRite wrote:
BigBossMan wrote: My AR is a precision weapon.
Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)
AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Image
Call Sign: KK4JKV

User avatar
Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 15976
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by Dave_M » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:53 pm

stimpy321972 wrote:
Dave_M wrote:If someone buys an ATI milled gun.. well, they deserve what they get....

Thanks for the constructive advice !!
Sounds like you already have your mind made up but I'll elucidate anyway:
While the receiver is technically milled, it isn't what one would call a true milled AK. It consists of used AKM parts (not parts for milled guns) held in place by screws.

Need I go on?
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

User avatar
stimpy321972
* * * * *
Posts: 2268
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:28 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, shaun of the dead
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Contact:

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by stimpy321972 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:13 pm

Dave_M wrote:
stimpy321972 wrote:
Dave_M wrote:If someone buys an ATI milled gun.. well, they deserve what they get....

Thanks for the constructive advice !!
Sounds like you already have your mind made up but I'll elucidate anyway:
While the receiver is technically milled, it isn't what one would call a true milled AK. It consists of used AKM parts (not parts for milled guns) held in place by screws.

Need I go on?
Mind wasn't made up, that's why I was asking for advice. I put it on hold but I haven't purchased it yet, so I can still get something else.

I was led to understand that it was a "milled new receiver" but it was 1mm thick. So it was patterned directly from the stamped 1mm and that's why you could use direct replacement or new parts made for stamped.

I was looking for something a bit nicer and smoother than my WASR for a truck/tractor gun. Like I said I have my SLG-21 for a dedicated BOB rifle.
MaxRite wrote:
BigBossMan wrote: My AR is a precision weapon.
Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)
AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Image
Call Sign: KK4JKV

User avatar
AKFTW
* * * * *
Posts: 4176
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:49 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!
Location: VT
Contact:

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by AKFTW » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:16 pm

stimpy321972 wrote:
Dave_M wrote:
stimpy321972 wrote:
Dave_M wrote:If someone buys an ATI milled gun.. well, they deserve what they get....

Thanks for the constructive advice !!
Sounds like you already have your mind made up but I'll elucidate anyway:
While the receiver is technically milled, it isn't what one would call a true milled AK. It consists of used AKM parts (not parts for milled guns) held in place by screws.

Need I go on?
Mind wasn't made up, that's why I was asking for advice. I put it on hold but I haven't purchased it yet, so I can still get something else.

I was led to understand that it was a "milled new receiver" but it was 1mm thick. So it was patterned directly from the stamped 1mm and that's why you could use direct replacement or new parts made for stamped.

I was looking for something a bit nicer and smoother than my WASR for a truck/tractor gun. Like I said I have my SLG-21 for a dedicated BOB rifle.
Well the ATI rifle is several steps BELOW a WASR. I would even take a WASR with a canted sight and fix it myself with a hammer rather than get an ATI AK.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up
Image

Image

User avatar
landser
* *
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by landser » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Ok listen to me. The following aks for the most part are trouble free, Norinco, SAR-1,SAR-2, Cur-1, WASR, TGI AMDs, FEG AMDS, Arsenal, Red jacket, Romanian G, Romanian 10/63, FEG AMD 63 kits, Tula kits imported from bulgaria if you have a good builder no problem on kits. There are some good bulgarians depending onbuilder and barrel twist or if you have an original bulgarian barrel.
http://www.theprepperdude.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; your more than welcome to contribute an article if you wish

User avatar
landser
* *
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by landser » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:57 pm

I forgot to include vepr and yugos, yugos depending on builder
http://www.theprepperdude.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; your more than welcome to contribute an article if you wish

User avatar
pyzik
* *
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:55 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), 28 Days and Weeks Later, Quarantine
Location: Garden City, MI
Contact:

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by pyzik » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:51 pm

Here is my Saiga .223, click to enlarge...

Image
Preparing to prep.

ShaneP
* *
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by ShaneP » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:01 pm

not sure if anyone would be interested but i found a magazine pouch for a standard buttstock on the AK-47, in the clearance section at Spec-ops only want $10 solid black only
http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical-ge ... ak-47.html
I was a highway man along the coach roads i did ride, with sword and pistol by my side many of young men lost there marbles to my trade, and many a soldiers lost there blood upon my blade. The bastards hung me in the spring of 25 but im still alive. ~~ The highwaymen ~~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1bHaUk1CM

Polley
* * * *
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by Polley » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:44 pm

.
Last edited by Polley on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Todd.

Post Reply

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”