The All Purpose AK Thread

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

grennels

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by grennels » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:09 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote:
Benny wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
EmbraceTheHate wrote:

I had several UJB's in my youth, I finally upgraded to a ZRX1200R when I could. Still in lust with her...

Have you found -

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've got an 00 1100.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Polley

Post by Polley » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Last edited by Polley on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Todd.

universal_exports
Favorite Zombie Movies: day of the dead

Post by universal_exports » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:20 pm

is there a purpose to this? other than having something different or saving money by not buying a stock, just curious.

Polley

Post by Polley » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Last edited by Polley on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Todd.

ShaneP

Post by ShaneP » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:02 pm

This is a Mak-90 and I started out with a thumb-hole stock. Alright heres the run down...Ace folding light weight stock with internal receiver block, Tapco G2 trigger, Midwest industries MI-AK-X rail with ML2 top cover with Aimpoint PRO (patrol Rifle optic) allowing lower 1/3 co-witness with irons, AK-47 Muzzle break, Magpul AFG2(angled foregrip), Streamlight Super Tac-X, Hogue pistol grip, Mako extended magazine release and a one point sling...
I was a highway man along the coach roads i did ride, with sword and pistol by my side many of young men lost there marbles to my trade, and many a soldiers lost there blood upon my blade. The bastards hung me in the spring of 25 but im still alive. ~~ The highwaymen ~~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1bHaUk1CM

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:19 pm

I like it !!! 8-)
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:16 pm

Polley wrote:Okay, so we got a hacksaw out today and I started cutting on my deer stand support beam. It really didn't take that long at all and it came out perfectly. Anyway, I set the piece in the receiver to see what kind of gaps were present and would need filled in. I also used a giant hammer to flatten out the bottom part of the butt so it didn't dig into my torso (yes, it did reach the very outer part of my ribs just barely). Here's what she looks like with and without a flash:

So far, I'm thinking I'll use wood to keep it in place. The stock screws from the AK's original stock seem to penetrate the top of the metal by about 1/2 to 3/4 of a centimeter. There's a lot of space above it and the screw "holes," though, so I think I'll surround the stock with wood pieces. I will nail the wood pieces together and use the hacksaw to flatten them out into pins. I will also create an extra hole or two to run a nail from the wood on top to the interior of the hollow, metal stock that I also plan on putting wood in. That should keep it pretty steady and give it an alright quality. I took photos of the gaps present if anyone is interested in those, as well.

I like it! How does the stock sit on the shoulder? Maybe wrap the stock in some brown leather to improve the cheek weld? Just a thought. Also, ditch that crappy black Century grip for a $5 Romanian bakelite one, cause that "stock" is DEFINITELY a "US Made part" now :D
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Polley

Post by Polley » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Last edited by Polley on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Todd.

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 pm

NEEDS MOAR PARACORD......

I actually like it, kind of a kit bashed appeal... Some Para wrapped around the butt and to help with a cheekweld (especially on very cold days :shock: )

Now, with a few hinges, you could turn that puppy into a folder....

Polley

Post by Polley » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:32 pm

Last edited by Polley on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Todd.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:36 pm

You should just get some sparkly Baywatch or Beverly Hills 90210 stickers. Oh no wait, it'd have to be a Yugo AK then :lol: (dead serious tho)

I think it's good the way it is, it just needs some leather wrappings on the stock or something, and a worn leather sling.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:44 pm

AKFTW wrote:You should just get some sparkly Baywatch or Beverly Hills 90210 stickers. Oh no wait, it'd have to be a Yugo AK then :lol: (dead serious tho)

I think it's good the way it is, it just needs some leather wrappings on the stock or something, and a worn leather sling.

Whoa.... Okay, sandbox idea aside, I think you should make it as if the AK found it's way back into the 1850s and into the hands of an Apache, and with the mods that they would normally do to the lever actions of the day, brass tacks, leather wraps with fringe, and some Turquoise inlay with silver conches on it...

Huh... this sounds like a project for an older Wasr or something similar....

Polley

Post by Polley » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:46 pm

Last edited by Polley on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Todd.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:46 pm

Polley wrote:Image

So far, I'm thinking I'll use wood to keep it in place. The stock screws from the AK's original stock seem to penetrate the top of the metal by about 1/2 to 3/4 of a centimeter.
Any reason you don't have the metal stock up top? I think if you run the screws through both sides of the metal, then into wood underneath, you'll have a much more solid hold. You could cut down 2x4 to fit the receiver cavity, then use a dado(?) blade to put a groove in that for the metal stock piece.

Actually, if you can cut a piece of 2x4 down so it juuust fits inside the metal tubing, and tap it in to full deapth, that will a) stiffen the tubing so it will be harder to crush, deform, and bend, b) dampen sound and vibration travelling along the stock, c) maintain strength at the receiver joint(rather than leave that point prone to failure), and d) maintain light weight.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Polley

Post by Polley » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:02 pm

Last edited by Polley on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Todd.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:28 pm

Polley wrote:metal is strong, but can be bent if you apply enough force with a giant hammer.
I don't know why but I find this statement to be really funny.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Polley

Post by Polley » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:55 pm

Last edited by Polley on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Todd.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Go with the wood. Thin-walled tubing is a bitch to weld, and often just breaks later.

Wood mounting gives some cushion to absorb impact.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Polley

Post by Polley » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:07 pm

Last edited by Polley on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Todd.

landser

Post by landser » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:32 pm

All I can do is scratch my head at the last few posts and think to myself why?
http://www.theprepperdude.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; your more than welcome to contribute an article if you wish

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:39 pm

AKFTW wrote: Looking good so far! Definitely try to find a broken shovel- a shovel handle stock would be so badass!
A folding D-handle would be awesome for stabby goodness.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

stimpy321972
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, shaun of the dead

Post by stimpy321972 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:19 pm

Ok, guys stopped by my local gun shop, one of my buddies said they just got in a batch of Arsenal's, SLG 21's and SLR 107F's. I say wow and run up there after my night shift. After several minutes of fondling the Arsenals', me looks up at the wall rack and see this pretty looking "WASR" ?? My friend says, that ain't no WASR, it's a milled ATI.

So I fondle it and notice, it is one of the smoothest and cleanest looking Ak variants, I have seen. The wood is beautiful, the metal has been milled and buffed with no sharp edges anywhere. From what I understand, it is an American made receiver (green machining inc.) ?? The barrel is a Shaw barrel, and all internals are American made, the rest is "new" Russian surplus, (Russian stamped "1975" w/ the "star" next to it). They offer it for $500, out the door with taxes and background included. SOLD me says and put it on hold till next week, I didn't have my passport, voter's ID or proof of citizenship with me, for an "Assault Rifle"

So, I have been researching it and it seems it is a thin-milled (1 mm) receiver, so you can use any part that will fit a stamped model. Any feed back, anyone with personal experience with it ?? I figure if it isn't impressive I can at least have another garage gun or bury gun :shock: , I have my SLG=21 for a BOB-Rifle.

Also got a Vickers Blue force Sling for a good price, thrown in. So it appears in fondling that I need a "HK" clip or an adapter to attach it to the left hand guard sling "slit" Any suggestions ??

Pic's to follow when I get my grubs on it.
MaxRite wrote:
BigBossMan wrote: My AR is a precision weapon.
Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)
AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Call Sign: KK4JKV

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:48 pm

stimpy321972 wrote:Also got a Vickers Blue force Sling for a good price, thrown in. So it appears in fondling that I need a "HK" clip or an adapter to attach it to the left hand guard sling "slit" Any suggestions ??
1.25" VCAS sling? I like using a mash hook(link) on my two, far more secure than the HK clip. HK clips have dropped my rifle. Others have used BFG wire thingies with good results. Also, you may want to move the rear sling point to a more useful spot.
^Here the sling supports the rifle during a mag change. The rifle stays solidly in the shoulder, held easily by one hand. The added stability lets you be very forceful, yet accurate and fast, so you don't flub insertion and get the mag jammed in the rifle wrong. I'm sure we've all tried to go faster than we were used to and rocked the rear in without having the front hooked.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:51 pm

stimpy321972 wrote:

Also got a Vickers Blue force Sling for a good price, thrown in. So it appears in fondling that I need a "HK" clip or an adapter to attach it to the left hand guard sling "slit" Any suggestions ??
Yeah, you could get an HK-style snap hook:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4130 ... SLING-HOOK

You can get some silencers to keep the "clackity-clack" down:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4209 ... OOK-COVERS

Or, you could use a wire loop (I shoot lefty, so I wrap mine around the barrel on the right side, in front of the handguard):

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=3188 ... -WIRE-LOOP
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”