The All Purpose AK Thread

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Cpt. MelonBuster
* * * * *
Posts: 3293
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: Couer D'Alene, Idaho

The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 pm

If there was a "All Purpose build your AK" thread, these questions would go there. Unfortunately, there isn't. So here's a couple questions.

What is a good polymer lower forend with rails for a flashlight and AFG?

Which stock option would you go with of these options and why?
1)quality AR stock tube adapter with a Magpul MOE
2)ACE skeleton stock
3)ACE folding skeleton stock

Do you think tritium sights are a good idea until I can afford a red dot?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2732 ... GHT_SIGHTS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts on the Hogue Pistol grip for AKs?

Planning on getting a PWS muzzle brake. Is the $100 version worth the extra money over the $60 version?


This is going to be my everything rifle. Bump in the night to SHTF.
Last edited by Cpt. MelonBuster on Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Defeater
* * *
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:34 am
Location: On the KP, WA

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by Defeater » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:43 pm

Of all these questions, the only one I can weigh in on is the Hogue grip. It is amazing. Best $25 I've spent modding a firearm to date.
AK, .45 ACP (but aware 9mm will do the job), Red Wire, Pie, Seahawks.
Micro Survival Kit / Tactical Diaper Bag / Bugout First Aid Kit
Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878

User avatar
Bearcat
* * * * *
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?
Location: Nasty Natti, Ohio

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by Bearcat » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:52 pm

Sorry, I can't answer any of those questions. I do have another question to add though. Would those tritium sights work on my tantal 5.45?
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

User avatar
Cpt. MelonBuster
* * * * *
Posts: 3293
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: Couer D'Alene, Idaho

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:54 pm

Bearcat wrote:Sorry, I can't answer any of those questions. I do have another question to add though. Would those tritium sights work on my tantal 5.45?
I don't see why they wouldn't, but don't take my word for it.

User avatar
Bearcat
* * * * *
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?
Location: Nasty Natti, Ohio

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by Bearcat » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:59 pm

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:
Bearcat wrote:Sorry, I can't answer any of those questions. I do have another question to add though. Would those tritium sights work on my tantal 5.45?
I don't see why they wouldn't, but don't take my word for it.
Well it says for 7.62x39 caliber but honestly, how different can the sighting system be from a 47 to a 74?
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

User avatar
Cpt. MelonBuster
* * * * *
Posts: 3293
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: Couer D'Alene, Idaho

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:02 am

Bearcat wrote: Well it says for 7.62x39 caliber but honestly, how different can the sighting system be from a 47 to a 74?
Well 5.45 obviously shoots a lot flatter then 7.62, so I'd assume that'd be a factor in the sight adjustments.

User avatar
jeremy1391
* * * *
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:10 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead
dawn of the dead (old and new)
day of the dead (original)
28 weeks later
land of the dead
diary of the dead (very well done)
Location: tacoma, WA

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by jeremy1391 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:30 am

For the AK keep it the wood furniture. Maybe give it an ultimak rail with red dot..... Pretty much it.
the_klenzer wrote:
And finally.... if you are drunk enough, and your buddy dares you...
just tell yourself "if it's good enough for Les Stroud..."

User avatar
AKFTW
* * * * *
Posts: 4176
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:49 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!
Location: VT
Contact:

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by AKFTW » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:50 am

I was going to go for a tritium front sight post but instead I painted the regular one white and with some paint from glow inc. It is very easy to see during the day and 1 hour of sunlight charges the sights to glow for 24 hours. Good stuff, cheap, and I have enough paint for 100 rifles! :lol:

I would skip the AFG on an AK, I see ZERO benefit to using it. You just don't shoot AKs the same way you shoot ARs. The grip angle of the regular grip is comfortable, and if you need a VFG just grip the mag. Plus, heat shielded handguards are highly recommended. It can get pretty warm otherwise.

IMO the AR stock is not necessary either, but of your listed options go for the sidefolder. As your everything rifle the ability to make it compact for storage and transport is a great feature. However, there is another sidefolder that installs similar to the ACE block and that I find very comfortable.
http://dpharms.com/akoriginalchinesesty ... -1128.html
ROCK SOLID folder, absolutely ZERO wobble when locked up, very good cheek weld, and if need be I have no doubts you could crack a skull with it. Folds nice and compact, and leaves the left side open for siderail optics.

As far as a light goes, I am still looking into that myself, but considering input from recent threads, I am going to try a short barrel mounted rail and offset mount to bring the light below the barrel, to keep it from shining on the front sight block and casting major shadows.

No thoughts on the PWS brake, IMO number one muzzle accessory should be a good flash hider. CNC warrior Type 84 is recommended. 7.62x39 doesn't need a muzzle brake in my opinion, especially if you plan on using it indoors or at night.

And as far as the grip goes, I would go for the US PALM AK Battle Grip. I have used a similar grip and it is quite comfortable and ergonomic.

Get a sling too. The standard military slings are fine as you don't want to be "wearing" the rifle, the sling is there for transition to pistol and administrative carry positions.

ETA: You don't need to spend a lot to get a functional AK into fighting shape. Save your money for ammo, mags, and training classes when you can afford them. A simple rifle that you know how to use well will be much more effective than a tacticool safe-queen.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up
Image

Image

User avatar
Kommander
* * * * *
Posts: 4274
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:38 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by Kommander » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:32 am

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:What is a good polymer lower forend with rails for a flashlight and AFG?
No personal experience here but I have never seen a polymer rail system made by a reputable company, all the good ones seem to be metal. That said since it's only job it to hold a flashlight and AFG it's not like it has to hold a zero or anything so as long as it is durable enough it should work. I do wonder if melting would be an issue though.
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: Which stock option would you go with of these options and why?
1)quality AR stock tube adapter with a Magpul MOE
2)ACE skeleton stock
3)ACE folding skeleton stock
If you put an AR stock on an AK Kalashnikov himself will show up at your house and beat you with a vodka bottle.
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:Do you think tritium sights are a good idea until I can afford a red dot?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2732 ... GHT_SIGHTS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those look interesting. Not sure if the money isn't better spent towards getting that red dot faster though.
Image

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

User avatar
Cpt. MelonBuster
* * * * *
Posts: 3293
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: Couer D'Alene, Idaho

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:35 am

Kommander wrote:Those look interesting. Not sure if the money isn't better spent towards getting that red dot faster though.

Well I'm getting them either way, so I'm leaning towards going this route first.

cannon
* *
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:48 am
Location: The Great Mojave Desert

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by cannon » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:52 am

Do you really think you need all that stuff?

I've bought and built AK's and found the simplicity of the design render many attachments needless. The Russian military teaches holding the mag as a forward grip and it works great holding the muzzle on target. Since the receiver cover is movable and flexes when firing about the only way to go adding optics is either mounting the base on the side of the receiver or a red dot mounted on the rear sight position. That works really well but your long range 1 to 3 hundred yards isn't so good because the 7.62 is an arcy round.

If you don't have an AK yet just get it and shoot and get used to it before adding stuff to it. You may find you don't need it. And finally and this is just my opinion. Ar buttstocks look hideous on an AK. Kinda like welding Cadillac fins on a VW bug.
The Earth will survive
Save yourself

User avatar
Cpt. MelonBuster
* * * * *
Posts: 3293
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: Couer D'Alene, Idaho

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:56 am

cannon wrote:Do you really think you need all that stuff?
Anything that makes the gun easier to manipulate is a good addition, in my opinion. And yes, I do think that I need a flashlight. Some of the stuff (Stock) is for weight saving.

As for a red dot, it's going on an ultimak some time down the road.

User avatar
Kommander
* * * * *
Posts: 4274
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:38 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by Kommander » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:10 am

cannon wrote:The Russian military teaches holding the mag as a forward grip and it works great holding the muzzle on target.
For reasons that I am sure you can appreciate doing things "because the Russian military does them" is not a recipe for success. That said I find the normal handguard to be perfectly fine as well.
cannon wrote:Since the receiver cover is movable and flexes when firing about the only way to go adding optics is either mounting the base on the side of the receiver or a red dot mounted on the rear sight position.
You forgot the Utilimak and similar types of mounts.
Image

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

User avatar
Chase The hero
* * * * *
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:02 am
Location: College Station, The Empire of Texas

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by Chase The hero » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:14 am

cannon wrote:And finally and this is just my opinion. Ar buttstocks look hideous on an AK. Kinda like welding Cadillac fins on a VW bug.
Meh. My WASR came with a collapsable AR-type buttstock and though its ugly as sin, it works well enough. But im hoping to save up for a folding stock for it eventually.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

User avatar
Mr. E. Monkey
* * * * *
Posts: 9106
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Utah

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:28 am

cannon wrote:Kinda like welding Cadillac fins on a VW bug.
Okay, am I the only one that thinks that sounds like a decent idea? :lol:

I'm probably the only one who doesn't think the Romanian wire folding stocks are horrible, too. Oh well. :P
As far as optics go, the ultimak rail is The Answer. :D
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image
Image

cannon
* *
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:48 am
Location: The Great Mojave Desert

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by cannon » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:44 am

Kommander wrote:
cannon wrote:The Russian military teaches holding the mag as a forward grip and it works great holding the muzzle on target.
For reasons that I am sure you can appreciate doing things "because the Russian military does them" is not a recipe for success. That said I find the normal handguard to be perfectly fine as well.
cannon wrote:Since the receiver cover is movable and flexes when firing about the only way to go adding optics is either mounting the base on the side of the receiver or a red dot mounted on the rear sight position.
You forgot the Utilimak and similar types of mounts.
I agree that Russian military endorsement is dubious but... It does work really well. :lol:

Have you considered changing your iron sights to HK style?

At the end of the day OP it is your rifle and these things are as easily customized as anything so have fun and make your dream rifle. Have fun!
Last edited by cannon on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Earth will survive
Save yourself

User avatar
lo jack
*
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: Memphis TN

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by lo jack » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:45 am

Agree with Defeater. The Hogue molded rubber grip is really awesome.

User avatar
Bearcat
* * * * *
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?
Location: Nasty Natti, Ohio

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by Bearcat » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:53 am

cannon wrote: [Have you considered changing your iron sights to HK style?
I don't get why some people/manufacturers do that. To me, it seems that adding a sighting system designed for a completely different platform would be a PIA to zero and adjust.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

User avatar
thesupremeking
* * *
Posts: 705
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:49 am
Location: Tucson

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by thesupremeking » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:20 pm

As a person who own AR's and AK's I can tell you in my opinion, tacticooling up an AK has never made sense to me. If putting lights on it, rail systems, red dots on it is what you're going for then get an AR on the cheap. AK's will fire rain, shine, mud, sand, thrown off a cliff etc, but its a rugged rifle intended to be roughed up and still reliable. By the time you get an AK and add all the accessories you want, you could've built an AR for the same cost on a platform that was intended for your purpose. I tried once to even mount optics on an AK and it was just weird to mount them on a rail that floats above everything, it just sucked. Plus collapsing stocks on an AK make baby jesus cry. Your needs sound like you want to make an AK like an AR, which you really can't.

get an AK and leave the irons (or tritium), keep the wood front handguard, get an east german side folding stock (be careful about US parts number) and call it good, get a light if you must.

or

build an AR for 600 bucks, have a real buffer tube, a receiver made for mounting optics well and have all your tactical crap on it.

my 2 cents.
Image

User avatar
Kommander
* * * * *
Posts: 4274
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:38 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by Kommander » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:46 pm

Thesupremeking you post is, well, let's see.
thesupremeking wrote:As a person who own AR's and AK's I can tell you in my opinion, tacticooling up an AK has never made sense to me. If putting lights on it, rail systems, red dots on it is what you're going for then get an AR on the cheap. AK's will fire rain, shine, mud, sand, thrown off a cliff etc, but its a rugged rifle intended to be roughed up and still reliable.

I don't see how the AK being a rugged rifle makes it a bad platform for adding components that will make it more capable. You make seem as if the AK will not benefit as much as other rifles from things like a flashlight or red dot. A good red dot or flashlight will benefit any rifle so long as they are mounted and used correctly.

thesupremeking wrote:By the time you get an AK and add all the accessories you want, you could've built an AR for the same cost on a platform that was intended for your purpose.
Your math here is terrible. Why would I want an unmodified rifle if for the same price I could have a rifle with all the mods I want on it. I am still kicking myself for getting a Sig 556 for $1500 when I could have gotten a BCM AR with an awesome red dot and perhaps even a flashlight for that price.
thesupremeking wrote:I tried once to even mount optics on an AK and it was just weird to mount them on a rail that floats above everything, it just sucked.
If it sucked you weren't doing it right. Mounts and red dots currently exist that will allow co-witnessing irons so that one can avoid the super high red dot problem.
thesupremeking wrote:Plus collapsing stocks on an AK make baby jesus cry. Your needs sound like you want to make an AK like an AR, which you really can't.


I am not a fan of AR stocks on AKs as well, but it's a personal thing and there nothing inherently wrong with them.

thesupremeking wrote:Get an AK and leave the irons (or tritium), keep the wood front handguard, get an east german side folding stock (be careful about US parts number) and call it good, get a light if you must.

I've used a rifle outfitted like that and while the wire folders have their positives (mostly being their price point) it certainly was not as comfortable as an AR stock would have been. If I had the money I would go right to an ACE product and not look back.


thesupremeking wrote:Build an AR for 600 bucks, have a real buffer tube, a receiver made for mounting optics well and have all your tactical crap on it.

my 2 cents.

And here I thought were were talking about combat rifles. Oh well.
Image

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

User avatar
Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4931
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by Dogan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:10 pm

Book marked before name change to "All Purpose Help Me Build My AK Thread" and for when I get my extinct-country AK in the next 6 mos.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

User avatar
Mr.Rogers
*
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Living in Washington the state

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by Mr.Rogers » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:36 pm

tagged for later. The OP asking some of the same question I have been pondering.
Mr.Rogers

User avatar
thesupremeking
* * *
Posts: 705
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:49 am
Location: Tucson

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by thesupremeking » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:48 pm

Kommander wrote:Thesupremeking you post is, well, let's see.
thesupremeking wrote:As a person who own AR's and AK's I can tell you in my opinion, tacticooling up an AK has never made sense to me. If putting lights on it, rail systems, red dots on it is what you're going for then get an AR on the cheap. AK's will fire rain, shine, mud, sand, thrown off a cliff etc, but its a rugged rifle intended to be roughed up and still reliable.

I don't see how the AK being a rugged rifle makes it a bad platform for adding components that will make it more capable. You make seem as if the AK will not benefit as much as other rifles from things like a flashlight or red dot. A good red dot or flashlight will benefit any rifle so long as they are mounted and used correctly.


I was only stating it is 40's technology and a rugged awesome rifle, but it has its drawbacks. Of course you can make it "more capable" but it seems like the need might be for a different platform, I don't think I'm alone in this thought process.
thesupremeking wrote:By the time you get an AK and add all the accessories you want, you could've built an AR for the same cost on a platform that was intended for your purpose.
Your math here is terrible. Why would I want an unmodified rifle if for the same price I could have a rifle with all the mods I want on it. I am still kicking myself for getting a Sig 556 for $1500 when I could have gotten a BCM AR with an awesome red dot and perhaps even a flashlight for that price.

I'm talking about building an AR, not buying one and then modifying it. If you buy and AK, then swap out components it could come out to be about the same price as if you just bought the exact components you wanted for an AR. You would have to be smart about it obviously but it's do-able.
thesupremeking wrote:I tried once to even mount optics on an AK and it was just weird to mount them on a rail that floats above everything, it just sucked.
If it sucked you weren't doing it right. Mounts and red dots currently exist that will allow co-witnessing irons so that one can avoid the super high red dot problem.

Where? I actually would love to see this where the mount wasn't crazy heavy or mounted to the dust cover. I would like one on my AK then. Hit me up with a link.

thesupremeking wrote:Get an AK and leave the irons (or tritium), keep the wood front handguard, get an east german side folding stock (be careful about US parts number) and call it good, get a light if you must.

I've used a rifle outfitted like that and while the wire folders have their positives (mostly being their price point) it certainly was not as comfortable as an AR stock would have been. If I had the money I would go right to an ACE product and not look back.


not to mention the fact that there's no cheek weld on a wire folder, hate that.
thesupremeking wrote:Build an AR for 600 bucks, have a real buffer tube, a receiver made for mounting optics well and have all your tactical crap on it.

my 2 cents.

And here I thought were were talking about combat rifles. Oh well.
Maybe I missed something, I didn't see anything about it being a combat weapon, with prices as low as they are right now you could put together a pretty good rifle for 600-700 bucks. I wouldn't take it to the sand box with me, but it would be fine for a semi-auto AR. That being said, the price of AK's might have come down a ton since the last time I checked.

Again this is just my opinion, so disagree away, but I don't think it's necessary to pick it apart sentence by sentence so I have to elaborate like this. I was putting in my thoughts incase it helps the OP's thought process, I wasn't really trying to be the all knowing unfailing source of AK knowledge. Thank you for your opinions as well, I didn't mean to offend or anything.

I just think that scissors are for cutting wrapping paper and an axe is for cutting logs. I love AK's, maybe more than AR's, but I am from a school of thought that they are very different in purpose, form and function, and sometimes what people describe that they want sounds like it would fit one tool better than the other. To each their own.
Image

User avatar
Kommander
* * * * *
Posts: 4274
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:38 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: A couple AK related questions.

Post by Kommander » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:10 pm

Damnit Thesupremeking you can't just shrug that off with a well reasoned response! Were supposed to argue for pages and then pistols at dawn!

Honestly it looks like were looking at this from different angles and from your angle what you say does make sense.
Image

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Post Reply

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”