All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by moab » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:52 pm

And then there's this for $389 shipped! A 10.5" pistol or sbr your choice. And cheaper if you just built it into a pistol - $299. I'm kind of flabbergasted that you can get an AR pistol for less than $300. How the hell do you build that cheap? I mean I know these aren't top of the line parts. And you'd still have to "build" the pistol. But it looks like less than an hour or so labor(?). But still. How much would it cost to have a chromelined barrel and floating hg put on this? How much to do it yourself? And what's a short list of parts you'd want to upgrade right away? I assume some of these parts are not long life certified.

They only make one premium (chromelined hammer forged barrel) unit in 10.5. But it's out of stock. I think just for the upper it's like $399. I'd rather get it. Classic hg's though. They don't sell what I want - 11.5" chromelined barrel in either an upper or complete pistol or rifle. With floating hg. Is there anything else besides the barrel that makes these "premium"?

The world has literally turned upside down for me. So much cheaper to get an AR than an AK. I mean this isn't apples to apples. But even the entry level WASR is $700. Cheap AK pistol is $650 - and that's without a buttstock or pistol brace of any kind. I see lots of negative comments about PSA AK's. But hard to find same for PSA AR's. I just don't see a lot of people complaining about them. Other than things wrong with an order or rifle and they get it replaced. I was totally turned off by how they handled the AK's. But these prices are getting me over that. I have to say.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10- ... 49225.html
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar1 ... 79347.html

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:52 pm

That's a great kit if you want an A2 from sight with Delta ring style handguard.

Only thing I'd upgrade is the trigger. Everything else is good to go for all needs. I prefer POF 4.5# drop ins.

Skip chrome lined hammer forged. Not worth the price for a regular civvy gun. That nitride barrel (not sure if 4140 or 4150) will last for a long long time.

Oh, and the grip sucks if you have big hands, I switch to Magpul for ARs. And that brace is mediocre. They shift at times. I've run 2. I much prefer the new SBA3 braces on other kits from PSA. They use a standard buffer tube as well.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:36 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:52 pm
And that brace is mediocre. They shift at times. I've run 2. I much prefer the new SBA3 braces on other kits from PSA. They use a standard buffer tube as well.
Did you use the KAK blade along with the KAK dimpled buffer tube, or with some other brand of pistol tube? I have the KAK blade and tube on my .300 pistol, and it hasn't given me any priblems, yet.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:22 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:36 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:
And that brace is mediocre. They shift at times. I've run 2. I much prefer the new SBA3 braces on other kits from PSA. They use a standard buffer tube as well.
Did you use the KAK blade along with the KAK dimpled buffer tube, or with some other brand of pistol tube? I have the KAK blade and tube on my .300 pistol, and it hasn't given me any priblems, yet.
KAK blade with KAK tube. I've considered epoxying the blade to the tube. I still have one in use that's been decent, but my first one shifted and gouged the aluminum... Which means the dimple is now less dimpled from the gouge
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:58 pm

I've considered epoxying the blade to the tube.
I'd go slow. I don't know what the Animal Treatment Foundation Executives are up to lately but it was any modification to the brace including changing the way it was mounted made it an SBR.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:30 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:58 pm
I've considered epoxying the blade to the tube.
I'd go slow. I don't know what the Animal Treatment Foundation Executives are up to lately but it was any modification to the brace including changing the way it was mounted made it an SBR.
Scary... Good call... I never thought of that as an issue but I can see how you're right since it is the ole Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:43 pm

I've been bad. I bought some new guns and have been playing "musical sights" with the RDS and other bling now I don't remember which stuff was good and which stuff is bad.

I figured out a magazine real quick though. I keep bad ones around to train with, normally mark them, this one was the only clear AR mag that I had though so it should have been easy to remember, nope. Got that puppy loaded with 30 rounds then set it down and picked it up. About 20 of the 30 rounds shot out past the feed lips and spewed all over the kitchen. :clownshoes: That one ended up in the trash.
Shall be my brother

moab

Post by moab » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:20 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
That's a great kit if you want an A2 from sight with Delta ring style handguard.

Only thing I'd upgrade is the trigger. Everything else is good to go for all needs. I prefer POF 4.5# drop ins.

Skip chrome lined hammer forged. Not worth the price for a regular civvy gun. That nitride barrel (not sure if 4140 or 4150) will last for a long long time.

Oh, and the grip sucks if you have big hands, I switch to Magpul for ARs. And that brace is mediocre. They shift at times. I've run 2. I much prefer the new SBA3 braces on other kits from PSA. They use a standard buffer tube as well.
What is that a 7" handguard? Any recommendations for a good cheap railed aluminum handguard set? All I need is to run a flashlight off of it. UTG/Leapers ok? Or something as good or better but cheaper?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:03 pm

moab wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:20 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:

What is that a 7" handguard? Any recommendations for a good cheap railed aluminum handguard set? All I need is to run a flashlight off of it. UTG/Leapers ok? Or something as good or better but cheaper?
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10- ... 49455.html

Check out that kit... Better brace, better grip, better trigger, better handguard (mlok compatible).

I have a Midwest industries quadrail that's the bee's knees. The bonus is it locks on tight and has QD sling attachments build in. It also extends the rail over the Delta ring, eliminating any gaps and making her pretty.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:55 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:53 pm
I think Hardened Arms was selling a pistol/ suppressor package for under $700. You can get the pistol now and the suppressor when the paperwork clears. That is the way I would go.
Where does Hardened Arms fall quality wise? Say compared to PSA?

moab

Post by moab » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:26 pm

So now I'm thinking HArdened Arms 10.5" complete upper $249. (Thank you Stercutus) Then I've got the free float hgs (which I think they make in house. Read good things about their hg's) and a full rail. Not the Mlok I was hoping for. But good enough. And I can always upgrade hg's later. But I would be looking to upgrade the barrel first. Well, after the trigger and charging handle. I have no idea if the bcg is any better or worse than the PSA. But I'd probably swap out to something other than either.

So total is $378 out the door. (Another $200 for the stamp. But that applies no matter which upper I choose.)

For another $20 I can get the PSA upper with the pistol brace - over the HArdened Arms. But I'm stuck with the fsb/gb on the PSA. And no floating rail. And I don't need the pistol kit. Changing out the barrel would be a lot harder on the PSA version. So I think I'm going with the HA upper. Unless someone tells me the bcg on the PSA is made from something I can't live without. AT least with the HA I can upgrade the barrel to chrome lined without having to replace the fsb/gb, gas tube and traditional attachments for the hg's. It would just be a straight swap. Unless I'm missing something. (I'll learn how to "assemble" AR's soon enough. Since I've been "building" AK's for well over a decade now.)

https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_ ... 20and%20CH

And a PSA complete lower (for an SBR) for $129. For a total of $378. (I hold an FFL01. So no other fees.) I couldn't find lowers on the HA website. Which I found weird. (EDIT - Found them. $249 for one complete and comparable to the PSA. As far as I can tell):

https://palmettostatearmory.com/complet ... ition.html

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:49 am

Strange that AR's are selling for 1989 prices.
Shall be my brother

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:19 pm

Deal alert: Anderson Mfg. forged aluminum lower - $29.99. 24 hour sale; max 3 per household.

https://www.primaryarms.com/anderson-ma ... 24HourSale.

You know you want to build another AR. You know you do. Doesn't get much cheaper than this.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:00 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:03 pm
moab wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:20 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10- ... 49455.html

Check out that kit... Better brace, better grip, better trigger, better handguard (mlok compatible).

I have a Midwest industries quadrail that's the bee's knees. The bonus is it locks on tight and has QD sling attachments build in. It also extends the rail over the Delta ring, eliminating any gaps and making her pretty.
I see your upgraded pistol and raise you with a railed one for a few dollars more. And it includes the PSA polished trigger. This with the standard PSA lower is $440. And I don't have to cut down the GB or put my own rails on. It also has the better pistol brace. I think I'll upgrade the trigger though. And the muzzle device. To one of these http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concr ... vert-comp/ .

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10- ... l-kit.html

And here's an excellent video on loading the perfect round for a 10.5 PSA pistol. VERY informative even if you don't own that pistol. But since you do Jeepercreeper I knew you'd like it. The video title says it's a review. But it's more about choosing the right round for this or any rifle. Long and short of it is 55 grain shot the most accurate. The lengths the guy goes to find the right round is exhausting. But he shows how much it's worth. 55 grain was way more accurate than the larger bullets. Which you'd think would perform better in a short barrel. But no. The 55 out performed them all. Excellent primer (forgive the pun) on reloading and finding the right bullet for your gun. After watching this you'll realize just how much difference the round makes. It's as important as anything else imho.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”