All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:29 am

Not my build, but I still need help trouble shooting.

Chiappa .22 upper with proprietary bolt and 1:16 rifled barrel.
I've had this toy out to the range a couple of times now and I see two issues I wish to address:
1) Light primer strikes. I'd love to turn this thing into a powerhouse of a .22, what can I do to create more punch on the firing pin? Options that come to mind are stronger springs or machining a new pin with an extra 0.01-0.015".

2) Swollen cases near the rim. Upon examination of the spent brass, there's a consistent expansion to one side, from the rim up about 0.125", the swell is 0.01" high. I assume this is a fault in the chamber, any way to get rid of it? It's only .22, not like I'm reloading them, but I have slight concerns of weak or thin brass lining up with the fault point and increasing risk of a case rupture.

Suggestions on things to try are welcome, pics tonight if I think of it.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:22 pm

Re: swelling near rim.
Extractor?

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:21 am

There's a quick shot of the swelling case, difficult thing to photograph.

What does one typically do about light primer strikes on a rim fire?
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:19 am

Any recommendations for SR25 pattern AR-10 lowers?
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:08 pm

I'm seeing a lot of Black Friday deals on AR parts right now. I'm probably going to continue to save money for the time being, but I'm tempted to pick up some parts.

I've heard a lot about 16" barrels and mid-length gas systems being a good combination. Do 18" barrels go well with a rifle-length gas system?

I've got a Ruger AR-556 and a GWACS polymer lower. Eventually I'd like to have something that is good for home defense (fairly open floor plan house), something that is good for chicken defense (taking shots at fox at potentially long distances), and something that is fairly lightweight.

I'm thinking that I'll eventually do the lightweight build that will also be useful for home defense on the GWACS and modify the Ruger to be heavier and relatively accurate for if I'm trying to pop a fox at 400 yards. I'm wondering about barrels, gas systems and potentially optics for both.

On one hand I'm thinking a 16" pencil barrel with a mid-length gas system for the GWACS and a 20" barrel with a rifle-length gas system for the Ruger. On the other hand there is a certain appeal in getting something like a Faxon 18" gunner profile barrel with a rifle-length gas system for both.

I don't like how little hand space there is on my 16" carbine length handguard. While I'd like the one rifle to be light, I'm not obsessing over a few ounces. The light weight is more for fun than anything. I also wouldn't want the Ruger to be overly heavy. A relative of mine has an AR with a long bull barrel and I hate it.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:32 pm

quazi wrote:I'm seeing a lot of Black Friday deals on AR parts right now. I'm probably going to continue to save money for the time being, but I'm tempted to pick up some parts.

I've heard a lot about 16" barrels and mid-length gas systems being a good combination. Do 18" barrels go well with a rifle-length gas system?
18" barrel with rifle gas is probably the most popular combo amongst the 3-gun set. It works quite well. And a 15" handguard fits nicely.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:10 pm

Thanks!

Do you think it's worth paying extra to buy a matching bolt with a new barrel?

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:08 am

Don't know if it's totally necessary. Nordic Components barrels with JP lightweight BCGs seem to be one of the more popular combos (again, this is 3-gun, so YMMV. 3-gun rifles are like racecars.)

That said, my current build is a Nordic barrel, Seekins LW BCG, and JP silent capture buffer spring assembly, and it has feed issues. Haven't figured out what piece of the system is causing the issues, but I'm told that JP parts don't necessarily play well with others.

That build is the only one of my ARs where I didn't buy the upper as a complete assembly.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

quazi

Post by quazi » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:28 pm

Thanks for your help.

So, with a 15" handguard on a rifle-length gas system would I need a low-profile gas block that the handguard will fit over top of? I'm asking because most of the rifle handguards seem to be about 13" or so.

I'll also need a different buffer/spring, right? My AR currently is carbine-length.

I've thought about getting the stuff to put together my second AR, but I think I'm going to hold off and just get some stuff to modify the one I have for now.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:28 am

Langenator wrote:Don't know if it's totally necessary. Nordic Components barrels with JP lightweight BCGs seem to be one of the more popular combos (again, this is 3-gun, so YMMV. 3-gun rifles are like racecars.)

That said, my current build is a Nordic barrel, Seekins LW BCG, and JP silent capture buffer spring assembly, and it has feed issues. Haven't figured out what piece of the system is causing the issues, but I'm told that JP parts don't necessarily play well with others.

That build is the only one of my ARs where I didn't buy the upper as a complete assembly.
Failure to feed or getting stovepipes?

Have you tried running it with just a standard spring/carbine weight buffer?

Gas block's not loose is it?
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:38 pm

quazi wrote:Thanks for your help.

So, with a 15" handguard on a rifle-length gas system would I need a low-profile gas block that the handguard will fit over top of? I'm asking because most of the rifle handguards seem to be about 13" or so.

I'll also need a different buffer/spring, right? My AR currently is carbine-length.

I've thought about getting the stuff to put together my second AR, but I think I'm going to hold off and just get some stuff to modify the one I have for now.
Yes, a 15" handguard needs a low-profile gas block, with any length gas system. I used it because I have long arms (I'm a bit over 6'2") and it lets me get more extension.

I THINK you can run rifle gas with a standard carbine buffer set up. My wife's AR is a 20" A2 style upper with a carbine lower. I built it with a generic carbine lower kit (DPMS, IIRC. Long time ago.) No special marking on the buffer that I could find. Runs fine with factory ammo.

Both of my ARs have rifle length fixed stocks, so I'm a bit less informed on carbine types.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:45 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Langenator wrote:Don't know if it's totally necessary. Nordic Components barrels with JP lightweight BCGs seem to be one of the more popular combos (again, this is 3-gun, so YMMV. 3-gun rifles are like racecars.)

Failure to feed or getting stovepipes?

Have you tried running it with just a standard spring/carbine weight buffer?

Gas block's not loose is it?
Failure to feed, both running the bolt with the charging handle and releasing the bolt from lock. Odd thing is, it ran just under 50 rounds just fine - 20 getting the scope zeroed, and then the first stage of a match. Second stage, rounds kept hanging up on the feed ramp, from both a PMAG and a Lancer.

Haven't tried putting the other lower on it. That will probably be my second round of trouble shooting, after lubing the crap out of it.

Annoyingly, my local range just shut down for the foreseeable future due to 'family disputes.'
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:33 am

If you have a known good setup that's the easiest way to troubleshoot... just swap uppers and test both.

I suspect it's either a loose gas block (under gassed or giving the effect) or someting wrong with your buffer system...binding or rifle-length spring in a carbine tube maybe. If I were to bet on it I'd say gas block is loose since it worked for 50 rounds or so.

Is it a pinned or bolt-on gas block?

Ninja edit: just saw where it's also binding with manual function... check the mag feed lips (you did try different mags I hope). Also ensure the mags are seating correctly and that the mag spring/follower isn't binding.

Ninja edit 2: dissassemble the bcg and make sure the bolt isn't binding from broken gas rings, etc.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:00 pm

Langenator wrote:I THINK you can run rifle gas with a standard carbine buffer set up. My wife's AR is a 20" A2 style upper with a carbine lower. I built it with a generic carbine lower kit (DPMS, IIRC. Long time ago.) No special marking on the buffer that I could find. Runs fine with factory ammo.

Both of my ARs have rifle length fixed stocks, so I'm a bit less informed on carbine types.
So it might be worth just trying it with the buffer that's in my rifle? I guess it doesn't cost anything to try.

I only ordered the barrel, not the gas tube, gas block, handguard and sights. Since the barrel was the only thing that was on sale I figured I'd just wait and do more research.

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:48 pm

91Eunozs wrote:If you have a known good setup that's the easiest way to troubleshoot... just swap uppers and test both.

I suspect it's either a loose gas block (under gassed or giving the effect) or someting wrong with your buffer system...binding or rifle-length spring in a carbine tube maybe. If I were to bet on it I'd say gas block is loose since it worked for 50 rounds or so.

Is it a pinned or bolt-on gas block?

Ninja edit: just saw where it's also binding with manual function... check the mag feed lips (you did try different mags I hope). Also ensure the mags are seating correctly and that the mag spring/follower isn't binding.

Ninja edit 2: dissassemble the bcg and make sure the bolt isn't binding from broken gas rings, etc.
Mags shouldn't be the problem - it had the same issue with two different 30 round Pmags and a 20 round Lancer, all of which functioned in the other rifle.

Pulled the BCG and took it apart. Gas rings are fine. The assembled BCG passes the 'wrist flick test', but you have to give it a good hard flick to get the bolt to pop. It's very tight. Possible solution: more lube, and 100 or so rounds to break it in some more if it can be made to feed.

Might try running the upper with the other lower for the breaking in.

If you're not familiar with the JP Silent Capture Recoil System, this is it. It's a race gun part, because, well, this is a race gun. Of sorts. I don't have the time to dick around with fine-tuned handloads and whatnot. But the combo SHOULD function with factory ammo.

I'm also wondering if the issue might be the feed ramps. Given that this is a racegun with a low mass BCG and recoil assembly, and thus less margin for error when it comes to overcoming friction, that might be a problem. But getting it polished would require a smith, and thus cost money, so trying that would come after playing with the buffer/spring/BCG combos.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:36 am

I feel weirdly conflicted about AR's.

When I had a carbine, I wanted a middy. When I got a middy, I wanted a free float tube. When I got that I wanted a different free float tube. Now I find myself wanting a carbine with GI handguard again. What's my deal?

What I probably really need is a big Lego set.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:35 pm

You mean an AR isn't a big Lego set?
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:47 pm

It's more like an erector set.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:29 am

AR-15 lower for 69.95

http://www.southernohiogun.com/ar-15-lo ... eiver.html

Not a fan of AR-15 (or rather the 5.56 NATO~ I actually like tghe Armalite platform and want an AR-10)

Anyway, saw this today. Not sure if its a good price, but it seemed to be to me.
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:23 pm

Well, for good or ill I bought one of Falkor's new PDW stocks... Price was a bit shocking, even after my .mil discount (basically paid for shipping and not much more), so I hope it's durable and not just a clever toy.

In the words of someone else on another board "the cost of admission to the cool kid club just went up"...

Between this and buying the parts for this rifle's extra upper, I hope blowing my toy allowance for the next two months (and invoking the wrath of my CPA wife) was worth it.

That said, it sure looks cool!

mattnall

Post by mattnall » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:34 pm

BullOnParade wrote:Image

There's a quick shot of the swelling case, difficult thing to photograph.

What does one typically do about light primer strikes on a rim fire?
The swelling on the rim is where the chamber has been opened up to ease feeding and will be at the bottom of the chamber (not that you'll know from an ejected case). I see a lot of the 22ARs give that same result, often from a DIY or after market 'fix' but I have yet to see one rupture the case. I guess if it is over done it would burst but if you haven't had one do it yet you most likely won't. I do see some fire OOB when they get dirty and/or the shooter is firing fast and that ruptures the case but that has nothing to do with this issue.

Nashoba
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by Nashoba » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:01 pm

Okay, so I am redoing my barrel setup in preparation for receiving my suppressor. I am already set on an 18" barrel, and I am running an adjustable gas block with it. The only variable that I cannot come to a solid conclusion on is whether to go with a rifle length or mid length gas system.
I need some third party opinions on this.
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.” ~ Abraham Lincoln Jan 20. 1681

"the most dangereous man in the woods is the man who only owns one gun, he most likley knows how to use it…" ~ Elmer Keith.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:35 pm

A suppressor will increase back pressure so I'd go rifle length...better for an 18" barrel anyway from a wear and tear perspective with or without the can.

Adjustable gas block mitigates it either way so you'll be fine regardless...just needs more tuning to prevent over gassing w/mid length.

Hokicake
BANNED

Post by Hokicake » Wed May 31, 2017 2:32 pm

I'm wanting to put together a AR and got some pieces already. I'd like any pointers please! I'm not very experienced with rifles. I have only had handguns. I got my first rifle like a month ago called the little badger in 17hmr though and I put a scope and a grip on it.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”