All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by moab » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:26 pm

boskone wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:17 pm
moab wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:28 pm
I bought a set of KAK USMC rear iron sights. What would be a good folding front site? Without breaking the bank. Thinking just MBUS. But would prefer metal.

EDIT - Wow. I should have bought a bunch of those for $60 when I had the chance. Cheapest one on ebay right now is $155.
You can get a set (front and rear) Aero flip-up sights on Primary Arms right now for $104 ($51 and some change each).

Maybe buy a set of those, and sell the one you have to at least defray the cost?
That's a good idea.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:15 am

I run MBUS or Amazon cheapo Fieldsport "branded" chinese sights.

They are for backup and work as needed. Of course, I'm cheap and find the Knights-sights to be priced according to name.

I highly recommend MBUS, plastic and all. You can always bedazzle them to add some Gucci flare to impress the fellas... that's what I do.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:57 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:15 am

They are for backup and work as needed. Of course, I'm cheap and find the Knights-sights to be priced according to name.

I highly recommend MBUS, plastic and all. You can always bedazzle them to add some Gucci flare to impress the fellas... that's what I do.
I just bought another set of Aero Precision sights used off of Amazon for $70. I dont do plastic sights since I buy cheaper optics (PA , Vortex ,etc).

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:27 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
You need to seriously ease up on the bedazzling. They’re sights, not a chandelier. Apologies to Wade Wilson.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

moab

Post by moab » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:43 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:

Those Fieldsports for $15 don't look bad. I mean it's not that complicated of a device. And they look sturdy as hell. What's wrong with these? Will they not hold zero? They aren't going to break. I mean by the looks of them. https://www.amazon.com/FieldSport-Preci ... ref=sr_1_9

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:17 pm

What's wrong with those?

- Rear ghost ring does not lock

- Both sights built to loose tolerances allowing them to move around and nto lock in to place

- No gradients or clicks on rear sight

- Pot metal construction

- Uses single non-locking hex screw to mount to rail

I'd say they are great for airsoft gun. That's as far as I am willing to go.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

moab

Post by moab » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:02 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:17 pm
What's wrong with those?

- Both sights built to loose tolerances allowing them to move around and nto lock in to place

- Pot metal construction

That answers that question.

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JF89 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:55 pm

Stercutus wrote:
What's wrong with those?

- Pot metal construction

I agree with this

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:03 am

I believe the term we're looking for here is "airsoft grade".

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:30 pm

Stercutus wrote:
What's wrong with those?

- Pot metal construction

They are actually pretty decent. At least the ones I have (rear sight only with A2 post on 2 builds).

Definitely range or even more. They are back ups.

It's like going racing with a Kia... You can do it and probably be fine, but of course there are better options but are they worth it?
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:10 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:30 pm
Stercutus wrote:
What's wrong with those?

- Pot metal construction

They are actually pretty decent. At least the ones I have (rear sight only with A2 post on 2 builds).

It's like going racing with a Kia... You can do it and probably be fine, but of course there are better options but are they worth it?
I would like to know that my backup option is tougher than my primary option, because if my primary take a dump, I want to know my backup is probably still ok. If my backup is actually less sturdy than my primary, then what are the odds my backup is still functioning after my primary has been knocked out of the fight? Of course, if my primary is a $25 BB gun optic, then I feel those are probably worth the money.

I think other people say "why dump money into something I'll probably never need?" To which I reply "why did you buy that AR? The one you say you will grab if SHTF? Why not just own a SCCY pistol or Charter Arms revolver and call it good?"
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:23 pm

If you have an A2 post you can get an A2 rear sight for about $20. It won't be flip up but it will work great.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JF89 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:27 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:30 pm
Stercutus wrote:
What's wrong with those?

- Pot metal construction

Well assuming its for shtf, self defence, or even sport shooting I would buy better gear. Have you considered taking a carbine course? You would have the perfect opputunity to see how stuff holds up when being ran hard. FAB defense has a polymer set of buis that are cheaper than magpuls and just as durable, you also dont need special tools to adjust them.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:12 pm

PLASTIC VS METAL?

Which parts would you say are ok to replace with polymer? Which parts must be metal? For a SHTF rifle. Not just a range toy. I'm not going with a polymer upper or lower. Just individual upgrade parts.

I don't have a lot of experience with polymer tactical items. Unless they're combloc AK polymer - and those tend to kick ass. But are limited to larger items likes stocks and handguards. On an AR I'm thinking something like a sling swivel needs to be metal. Cause it's literally holding your entire rifle up. But then again, I might just try to attach directly to the rifle without a swivel to save weight. But have not tried that yet.

Something like a trigger guard is fine in polymer. In my early research I read metal mags all the way. Then polymer Pmags all the way. Handguards I would want metal. As I want free float. Otherwise I'd probably be ok with a polymer handguard as long as it had a top notch heat shield in a drop in. But what about a flashlight mount? OR a vert or non vert grip? Buttstock I'm obviously fine with polymer.

I'd like the rifle to be as light as possible. But trying to stay milspec and hardcore materials. As it's not just a range gun. SO I'm trying to keep it simple. And not go overboard with to many metal upgrades. Actually not go overboard with to many upgrades at all. TOp of the list is trigger group (metal obviously), forward grip, trigger guard, mags, flashlight mount, sling mounts, polymer or metal iron sights - that's off the top of my head. Feel free to comment on more. Other upgrades are metal - but because they need to be AFAIK.

If I do decide to go polymer on any items what is there to look for? I know Magpul is top of the line in polymer. But so many companies offer parts in polymer. Not sure which ones to avoid - if any. Same with metal.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”