All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3329
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by moab » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:52 pm

And then there's this for $389 shipped! A 10.5" pistol or sbr your choice. And cheaper if you just built it into a pistol - $299. I'm kind of flabbergasted that you can get an AR pistol for less than $300. How the hell do you build that cheap? I mean I know these aren't top of the line parts. And you'd still have to "build" the pistol. But it looks like less than an hour or so labor(?). But still. How much would it cost to have a chromelined barrel and floating hg put on this? How much to do it yourself? And what's a short list of parts you'd want to upgrade right away? I assume some of these parts are not long life certified.

They only make one premium (chromelined hammer forged barrel) unit in 10.5. But it's out of stock. I think just for the upper it's like $399. I'd rather get it. Classic hg's though. They don't sell what I want - 11.5" chromelined barrel in either an upper or complete pistol or rifle. With floating hg. Is there anything else besides the barrel that makes these "premium"?

The world has literally turned upside down for me. So much cheaper to get an AR than an AK. I mean this isn't apples to apples. But even the entry level WASR is $700. Cheap AK pistol is $650 - and that's without a buttstock or pistol brace of any kind. I see lots of negative comments about PSA AK's. But hard to find same for PSA AR's. I just don't see a lot of people complaining about them. Other than things wrong with an order or rifle and they get it replaced. I was totally turned off by how they handled the AK's. But these prices are getting me over that. I have to say.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10- ... 49225.html
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar1 ... 79347.html

Image

Image
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2214
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:52 pm

That's a great kit if you want an A2 from sight with Delta ring style handguard.

Only thing I'd upgrade is the trigger. Everything else is good to go for all needs. I prefer POF 4.5# drop ins.

Skip chrome lined hammer forged. Not worth the price for a regular civvy gun. That nitride barrel (not sure if 4140 or 4150) will last for a long long time.

Oh, and the grip sucks if you have big hands, I switch to Magpul for ARs. And that brace is mediocre. They shift at times. I've run 2. I much prefer the new SBA3 braces on other kits from PSA. They use a standard buffer tube as well.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 8680
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:36 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:52 pm
And that brace is mediocre. They shift at times. I've run 2. I much prefer the new SBA3 braces on other kits from PSA. They use a standard buffer tube as well.
Did you use the KAK blade along with the KAK dimpled buffer tube, or with some other brand of pistol tube? I have the KAK blade and tube on my .300 pistol, and it hasn't given me any priblems, yet.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2214
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:22 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:36 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:52 pm
And that brace is mediocre. They shift at times. I've run 2. I much prefer the new SBA3 braces on other kits from PSA. They use a standard buffer tube as well.
Did you use the KAK blade along with the KAK dimpled buffer tube, or with some other brand of pistol tube? I have the KAK blade and tube on my .300 pistol, and it hasn't given me any priblems, yet.
KAK blade with KAK tube. I've considered epoxying the blade to the tube. I still have one in use that's been decent, but my first one shifted and gouged the aluminum... Which means the dimple is now less dimpled from the gouge
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12398
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Stercutus » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:58 pm

I've considered epoxying the blade to the tube.
I'd go slow. I don't know what the Animal Treatment Foundation Executives are up to lately but it was any modification to the brace including changing the way it was mounted made it an SBR.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2214
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:30 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:58 pm
I've considered epoxying the blade to the tube.
I'd go slow. I don't know what the Animal Treatment Foundation Executives are up to lately but it was any modification to the brace including changing the way it was mounted made it an SBR.
Scary... Good call... I never thought of that as an issue but I can see how you're right since it is the ole Automatic Transmission Fluid.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12398
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Stercutus » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:43 pm

I've been bad. I bought some new guns and have been playing "musical sights" with the RDS and other bling now I don't remember which stuff was good and which stuff is bad.

I figured out a magazine real quick though. I keep bad ones around to train with, normally mark them, this one was the only clear AR mag that I had though so it should have been easy to remember, nope. Got that puppy loaded with 30 rounds then set it down and picked it up. About 20 of the 30 rounds shot out past the feed lips and spewed all over the kitchen. :clownshoes: That one ended up in the trash.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3329
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by moab » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:20 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:52 pm
That's a great kit if you want an A2 from sight with Delta ring style handguard.

Only thing I'd upgrade is the trigger. Everything else is good to go for all needs. I prefer POF 4.5# drop ins.

Skip chrome lined hammer forged. Not worth the price for a regular civvy gun. That nitride barrel (not sure if 4140 or 4150) will last for a long long time.

Oh, and the grip sucks if you have big hands, I switch to Magpul for ARs. And that brace is mediocre. They shift at times. I've run 2. I much prefer the new SBA3 braces on other kits from PSA. They use a standard buffer tube as well.
What is that a 7" handguard? Any recommendations for a good cheap railed aluminum handguard set? All I need is to run a flashlight off of it. UTG/Leapers ok? Or something as good or better but cheaper?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2214
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:03 pm

moab wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:20 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:52 pm
That's a great kit if you want an A2 from sight with Delta ring style handguard.

Only thing I'd upgrade is the trigger. Everything else is good to go for all needs. I prefer POF 4.5# drop ins.

Skip chrome lined hammer forged. Not worth the price for a regular civvy gun. That nitride barrel (not sure if 4140 or 4150) will last for a long long time.

Oh, and the grip sucks if you have big hands, I switch to Magpul for ARs. And that brace is mediocre. They shift at times. I've run 2. I much prefer the new SBA3 braces on other kits from PSA. They use a standard buffer tube as well.
What is that a 7" handguard? Any recommendations for a good cheap railed aluminum handguard set? All I need is to run a flashlight off of it. UTG/Leapers ok? Or something as good or better but cheaper?
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10- ... 49455.html

Check out that kit... Better brace, better grip, better trigger, better handguard (mlok compatible).

I have a Midwest industries quadrail that's the bee's knees. The bonus is it locks on tight and has QD sling attachments build in. It also extends the rail over the Delta ring, eliminating any gaps and making her pretty.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3329
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by moab » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:55 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:53 pm
I think Hardened Arms was selling a pistol/ suppressor package for under $700. You can get the pistol now and the suppressor when the paperwork clears. That is the way I would go.
Where does Hardened Arms fall quality wise? Say compared to PSA?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3329
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by moab » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:26 pm

So now I'm thinking HArdened Arms 10.5" complete upper $249. (Thank you Stercutus) Then I've got the free float hgs (which I think they make in house. Read good things about their hg's) and a full rail. Not the Mlok I was hoping for. But good enough. And I can always upgrade hg's later. But I would be looking to upgrade the barrel first. Well, after the trigger and charging handle. I have no idea if the bcg is any better or worse than the PSA. But I'd probably swap out to something other than either.

So total is $378 out the door. (Another $200 for the stamp. But that applies no matter which upper I choose.)

For another $20 I can get the PSA upper with the pistol brace - over the HArdened Arms. But I'm stuck with the fsb/gb on the PSA. And no floating rail. And I don't need the pistol kit. Changing out the barrel would be a lot harder on the PSA version. So I think I'm going with the HA upper. Unless someone tells me the bcg on the PSA is made from something I can't live without. AT least with the HA I can upgrade the barrel to chrome lined without having to replace the fsb/gb, gas tube and traditional attachments for the hg's. It would just be a straight swap. Unless I'm missing something. (I'll learn how to "assemble" AR's soon enough. Since I've been "building" AK's for well over a decade now.)

https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_ ... 20and%20CH

Image

And a PSA complete lower (for an SBR) for $129. For a total of $378. (I hold an FFL01. So no other fees.) I couldn't find lowers on the HA website. Which I found weird. (EDIT - Found them. $249 for one complete and comparable to the PSA. As far as I can tell):

https://palmettostatearmory.com/complet ... ition.html

Image
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12398
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:49 am

Strange that AR's are selling for 1989 prices.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 6831
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:19 pm

Deal alert: Anderson Mfg. forged aluminum lower - $29.99. 24 hour sale; max 3 per household.

https://www.primaryarms.com/anderson-ma ... 24HourSale.

You know you want to build another AR. You know you do. Doesn't get much cheaper than this.
Image

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3329
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by moab » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:00 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:03 pm
moab wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:20 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:52 pm
That's a great kit if you want an A2 from sight with Delta ring style handguard.

Only thing I'd upgrade is the trigger. Everything else is good to go for all needs. I prefer POF 4.5# drop ins.

Skip chrome lined hammer forged. Not worth the price for a regular civvy gun. That nitride barrel (not sure if 4140 or 4150) will last for a long long time.

Oh, and the grip sucks if you have big hands, I switch to Magpul for ARs. And that brace is mediocre. They shift at times. I've run 2. I much prefer the new SBA3 braces on other kits from PSA. They use a standard buffer tube as well.
What is that a 7" handguard? Any recommendations for a good cheap railed aluminum handguard set? All I need is to run a flashlight off of it. UTG/Leapers ok? Or something as good or better but cheaper?
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10- ... 49455.html

Check out that kit... Better brace, better grip, better trigger, better handguard (mlok compatible).

I have a Midwest industries quadrail that's the bee's knees. The bonus is it locks on tight and has QD sling attachments build in. It also extends the rail over the Delta ring, eliminating any gaps and making her pretty.
I see your upgraded pistol and raise you with a railed one for a few dollars more. And it includes the PSA polished trigger. This with the standard PSA lower is $440. And I don't have to cut down the GB or put my own rails on. It also has the better pistol brace. I think I'll upgrade the trigger though. And the muzzle device. To one of these http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concr ... vert-comp/ .

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10- ... l-kit.html

Image

And here's an excellent video on loading the perfect round for a 10.5 PSA pistol. VERY informative even if you don't own that pistol. But since you do Jeepercreeper I knew you'd like it. The video title says it's a review. But it's more about choosing the right round for this or any rifle. Long and short of it is 55 grain shot the most accurate. The lengths the guy goes to find the right round is exhausting. But he shows how much it's worth. 55 grain was way more accurate than the larger bullets. Which you'd think would perform better in a short barrel. But no. The 55 out performed them all. Excellent primer (forgive the pun) on reloading and finding the right bullet for your gun. After watching this you'll realize just how much difference the round makes. It's as important as anything else imho.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3329
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by moab » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:54 pm

Well I bought another AR. A to be partially assembled AR. I guess I should say. I'm sure I'll be asking all sorts of build advice once I get to it. :) But maybe not, it looks kind of simple. Like I think the only things left are the lower internals.

I went with the PSA 10.5" 5.56 NATO 1/7 NITRIDE 9" M-LOK MOE EPT SBA3 PISTOL KIT. https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10- ... l-kit.html I chose it over the other options as it already had a railed handguard installed. And the better of the two pistol braces. I priced out every other pistol kit like this. And at one time was considering the Hardened Arms upper with various other parts from PSA. But had to go with the PSA deal. It just couldn't be beat. And I wasn't looking for a top tier AR. Budget tier was fine by me. But after some exhaustive research I think PSA might even be considered a "mid" tier AR builder. Especially if you can get into one of their FN produced chrome lined barrels. Which this one does not have. But upgrading it to a chrome lined barrel for $165 (green mountain) is cheaper than converting one of their other kits in this size. As they are all drop in hg's and full FSB/GB - even on the one chrome lined pistol kit.

This was a major departure for me from just a couple months ago. After seeing how PSA dealt with their AK's. I swore never to buy a PSA product. But economics and their reputation for making solid AR's won me over. And I had never taken an honest look at their AR's as I'm not really an AR guy. And have not been in the market for one. But ammo availability in a PAW made me think a couple extra AR's might not be a bad idea. Not to mention their prices have bottomed out big time. (I think PSA's entry level upper and lower rifle is $329. Which is pretty incredible. At those prices why would you buy - a lot of other rifles - in that caliber range? ) I like this build specifically because of it's size. And ease of use with a backpack. This also seems to be the ballistic cut off in terms of barrel length.

This coupled with the PSA receiver comes out to $440 delivered. And Green Mountain makes chrome lined barrels for $165. I was going to upgrade the barrel, the trigger, maybe the gas tube. And this flash hider that pushes the muzzle blast forward of the shooter. A known issue with shorter SBR's. http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concr ... vert-comp/

1) I was also wondering about heavy barrels. What are those typically used for and why? I assume to take heat. Like in a defensive position with a lot of rounds going down range? I'm just wondering if heavy and chrome lined barrel is overkill? Not that I can find one. lol. But curious. I think the more standard barrel profile with a chrome lining is fine really.

2) Anything else I should upgrade on this economical AR? Meaning cheap but good? lol. :) And can anyone recommend a sub $100 trigger? I researched those a while back. But did not record my findings. Which is unusual for me. I've started a complete AR15 section in my Evernote just dedicated to the subject.

Image
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

boskone
* *
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by boskone » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:12 pm

For triggers, I really like the Larue MBT2, and it's currently $87. There's also a chance to win one of their "ultimate upper" kits, though the odds are probably somewhere between "terrible" and "lol worthy".

I can't say they're economical...or necessarily actually good (I've never used either)...but a Law Tactical folding stock adapter and a Dolos QD barrel thing would be funny. $400 or so for the pair, though.

User avatar
91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 1893
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!
Location: Hill Country, Texas

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:45 pm

boskone wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:12 pm
For triggers, I really like the Larue MBT2, and it's currently $87. There's also a chance to win one of their "ultimate upper" kits, though the odds are probably somewhere between "terrible" and "lol worthy".

I can't say they're economical...or necessarily actually good (I've never used either)...but a Law Tactical folding stock adapter and a Dolos QD barrel thing would be funny. $400 or so for the pair, though.
That Larue’s a great trigger, but for the money it’s ALG every time for me. Feels like my Geissele triggers, because they’re made on the same EDM machine...just not guaranteed to be match grade, but less than half the price.

You can get them all day long for $70 or so, and often under $50 on sale.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3329
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by moab » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:47 am

91Eunozs wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:45 pm
boskone wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:12 pm
For triggers, I really like the Larue MBT2, and it's currently $87. There's also a chance to win one of their "ultimate upper" kits, though the odds are probably somewhere between "terrible" and "lol worthy".

I can't say they're economical...or necessarily actually good (I've never used either)...but a Law Tactical folding stock adapter and a Dolos QD barrel thing would be funny. $400 or so for the pair, though.
That Larue’s a great trigger, but for the money it’s ALG every time for me. Feels like my Geissele triggers, because they’re made on the same EDM machine...just not guaranteed to be match grade, but less than half the price.

You can get them all day long for $70 or so, and often under $50 on sale.
Great! I love ALG. I use them in my AK's. Can you tell me the difference in the different AR triggers they have? The descriptions don't seem to be that different.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 1893
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!
Location: Hill Country, Texas

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:08 am

Zero experience with their AK or Galil triggers, but have installed and shot several ACT and QMS triggers. They “feel” about the same to me, but I’m not a match-level shooter and am not that sensitive to trigger weight.

I suck regardless of the pull! :lol: I do feel the difference between the ALG options and my Geissele two-stage triggers though.

As far as I can tell, their Quality Mil Spec (QMS) is just that...a better mil spec trigger with less variation of pull weight and a much, much smoother pull. Their Advanced Combat Trigger (ACT) has additional machine work, which appears to mostly be polishing. Believe it also has an electroless nickel plating process, where the QMS looks like it’s been given a nitride or similar coating. Likely tighter quality control on the ACT as well. Hammer and disconnect on both look and feel the same to me.

Regardless, great value for the money on either one.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3329
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by moab » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:24 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:08 am
Zero experience with their AK or Galil triggers, but have installed and shot several ACT and QMS triggers. They “feel” about the same to me, but I’m not a match-level shooter and am not that sensitive to trigger weight.

I suck regardless of the pull! :lol: I do feel the difference between the ALG options and my Geissele two-stage triggers though.

As far as I can tell, their Quality Mil Spec (QMS) is just that...a better mil spec trigger with less variation of pull weight and a much, much smoother pull. Their Advanced Combat Trigger (ACT) has additional machine work, which appears to mostly be polishing. Believe it also has an electroless nickel plating process, where the QMS looks like it’s been given a nitride or similar coating. Likely tighter quality control on the ACT as well. Hammer and disconnect on both look and feel the same to me.

Regardless, great value for the money on either one.
Ya. Even from the description they were pretty much the same. Your comment that they shoot the same makes sense. I think I'll go with the standard ALG trigger. QMS. I prefer a little lighter trigger pull. But this is a budget gun. I can't see spending $200 on a trigger for a $400 gun. lol. Just doesn't make economical sense to me. Like $2000 rims on a $1500 car. lol. Maybe not that bad. But you get the idea. I'd rather put my money into the barrel upgrade.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2214
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:49 pm

moab wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:24 pm
91Eunozs wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:08 am
Zero experience with their AK or Galil triggers, but have installed and shot several ACT and QMS triggers. They “feel” about the same to me, but I’m not a match-level shooter and am not that sensitive to trigger weight.

I suck regardless of the pull! :lol: I do feel the difference between the ALG options and my Geissele two-stage triggers though.

As far as I can tell, their Quality Mil Spec (QMS) is just that...a better mil spec trigger with less variation of pull weight and a much, much smoother pull. Their Advanced Combat Trigger (ACT) has additional machine work, which appears to mostly be polishing. Believe it also has an electroless nickel plating process, where the QMS looks like it’s been given a nitride or similar coating. Likely tighter quality control on the ACT as well. Hammer and disconnect on both look and feel the same to me.

Regardless, great value for the money on either one.
Ya. Even from the description they were pretty much the same. Your comment that they shoot the same makes sense. I think I'll go with the standard ALG trigger. QMS. I prefer a little lighter trigger pull. But this is a budget gun. I can't see spending $200 on a trigger for a $400 gun. lol. Just doesn't make economical sense to me. Like $2000 rims on a $1500 car. lol. Maybe not that bad. But you get the idea. I'd rather put my money into the barrel upgrade.
ALG makes great triggers. However, I'd compare adding a nice trigger to a crappy gun to adding tires, wheels, and breaks to a crappy car... it will drastically improve performance, but you still have a crappy car.

It depends on whether you want:
-single or 2 stage
-standard style or "drop-in" cassette

I prefer single stage drop in. I run POF 4.5# as I've said before. Great triggers if you get a sale for around $100-125. There are also the Rise Armaments for like $80-90ish dollars. With any, you'll want anti-rotation pins. For those, I like the CMC over the popular KNS pins. They can be had for $10-20.

Don't sleep on the Ruger two stage trigger either. Great value for money on sale.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3329
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by moab » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:08 pm

[/quote]

Ya. Even from the description they were pretty much the same. Your comment that they shoot the same makes sense. I think I'll go with the standard ALG trigger. QMS. I prefer a little lighter trigger pull. But this is a budget gun. I can't see spending $200 on a trigger for a $400 gun. lol. Just doesn't make economical sense to me. Like $2000 rims on a $1500 car. lol. Maybe not that bad. But you get the idea. I'd rather put my money into the barrel upgrade.
[/quote]

ALG makes great triggers. However, I'd compare adding a nice trigger to a crappy gun to adding tires, wheels, and breaks to a crappy car... it will drastically improve performance, but you still have a crappy car.

It depends on whether you want:
-single or 2 stage
-standard style or "drop-in" cassette

I prefer single stage drop in. I run POF 4.5# as I've said before. Great triggers if you get a sale for around $100-125. There are also the Rise Armaments for like $80-90ish dollars. With any, you'll want anti-rotation pins. For those, I like the CMC over the popular KNS pins. They can be had for $10-20.

Don't sleep on the Ruger two stage trigger either. Great value for money on sale.
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up. I forgot about the Rise ones. I could be tempted into one of theirs. That price point is not out of the question. I prefer single stage too. And was only considering the ALG as other trigger group parts are compatible with those.

I was also reading about those anti rotation pins. Worth getting huh? I'll check out the CMC for sure.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3329
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by moab » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:28 pm

I bought a set of KAK USMC rear iron sights. What would be a good folding front site? Without breaking the bank. Thinking just MBUS. But would prefer metal.

EDIT - Wow. I should have bought a bunch of those for $60 when I had the chance. Cheapest one on ebay right now is $155.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

boskone
* *
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by boskone » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:17 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:28 pm
I bought a set of KAK USMC rear iron sights. What would be a good folding front site? Without breaking the bank. Thinking just MBUS. But would prefer metal.

EDIT - Wow. I should have bought a bunch of those for $60 when I had the chance. Cheapest one on ebay right now is $155.
You can get a set (front and rear) Aero flip-up sights on Primary Arms right now for $104 ($51 and some change each).

Maybe buy a set of those, and sell the one you have to at least defray the cost?

Post Reply

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”