All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9215
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by RickOShea » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:59 am

emclean wrote:I cant be the first guy to damage a lower assembling it, can I?

I snapped off one of the 'ears' for the trigger guard driving the roll pin in.
dam thing was a little too big, and didn't go through the hole.

who else had done something like this?

I suppose you could slap on one of those pistol grips with a built in trigger guard, like a DD or a Stark (ugh), and drive on. :ooh:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
emclean
* * * * *
Posts: 1621
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:31 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland
Location: NW Indiana

Re: All purpose

Post by emclean » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:50 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
emclean wrote:I cant be the first guy to damage a lower assembling it, can I?

I snapped off one of the 'ears' for the trigger guard driving the roll pin in.
dam thing was a little too big, and didn't go through the hole.

who else had done something like this?
I used to repair those fairly often. If you can braze or (noises of terror) weld, you can always turn your lower into one with a permanently attached trigger guard. for the future, make sure you support the underside of the ear with a thick plastic coaster or something similar.
I am going the other way, grinding it down and going without a trigger guard. it is getting a light straight trigger that I wasn't sure was going to clear the standard trigger guard anyway.

User avatar
0122358
* * * * *
Posts: 1804
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:07 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland
Location: Purdy...Washington

Re: All purpose

Post by 0122358 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:56 pm

emclean wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
emclean wrote:I cant be the first guy to damage a lower assembling it, can I?

I snapped off one of the 'ears' for the trigger guard driving the roll pin in.
dam thing was a little too big, and didn't go through the hole.

who else had done something like this?
I used to repair those fairly often. If you can braze or (noises of terror) weld, you can always turn your lower into one with a permanently attached trigger guard. for the future, make sure you support the underside of the ear with a thick plastic coaster or something similar.
I am going the other way, grinding it down and going without a trigger guard. it is getting a light straight trigger that I wasn't sure was going to clear the standard trigger guard anyway.
Do you want an ND? Because that's how you get an ND
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

User avatar
91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!
Location: Hill Country, Texas

Re: All purpose

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:05 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
emclean wrote:I cant be the first guy to damage a lower assembling it, can I?

I snapped off one of the 'ears' for the trigger guard driving the roll pin in.
dam thing was a little too big, and didn't go through the hole.

who else had done something like this?
I used to repair those fairly often. If you can braze or (noises of terror) weld, you can always turn your lower into one with a permanently attached trigger guard. for the future, make sure you support the underside of the ear with a thick plastic coaster or something similar.

Concur with the advice to figure out a way to repair other otherwise retain your trigger guard...

Quoted this response because it reminded me of a cool tip I saw on a video. Take a phone book (do they even make those anymore?) or stack of magazines and lay the lower in between the pages...enough pages under the lower ear to level/support it, and enough in between the ears to support the one on top.

Worked liked a champ on the couple of lowers I have without integral guards.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

User avatar
emclean
* * * * *
Posts: 1621
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:31 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland
Location: NW Indiana

Re: All purpose

Post by emclean » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:49 pm

0122358 wrote:
emclean wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
emclean wrote:I cant be the first guy to damage a lower assembling it, can I?

I snapped off one of the 'ears' for the trigger guard driving the roll pin in.
dam thing was a little too big, and didn't go through the hole.

who else had done something like this?
I used to repair those fairly often. If you can braze or (noises of terror) weld, you can always turn your lower into one with a permanently attached trigger guard. for the future, make sure you support the underside of the ear with a thick plastic coaster or something similar.
I am going the other way, grinding it down and going without a trigger guard. it is getting a light straight trigger that I wasn't sure was going to clear the standard trigger guard anyway.
Do you want an ND? Because that's how you get an ND
or you can pay attention to what you are doing with a loaded rifle.
it isn't a defense rifle, or a car carbine, it is not something that will ever be loaded other than at the range.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:24 am

emclean wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
emclean wrote:I cant be the first guy to damage a lower assembling it, can I?

I snapped off one of the 'ears' for the trigger guard driving the roll pin in.
dam thing was a little too big, and didn't go through the hole.

who else had done something like this?
I used to repair those fairly often. If you can braze or (noises of terror) weld, you can always turn your lower into one with a permanently attached trigger guard. for the future, make sure you support the underside of the ear with a thick plastic coaster or something similar.
I am going the other way, grinding it down and going without a trigger guard. it is getting a light straight trigger that I wasn't sure was going to clear the standard trigger guard anyway.
Out of an abundance of caution I would urge either the brazing or the DD grip (clever, I forgot about those) but I'm not your mother or your supervisor, and if it's a bench gun you're probably okay. Be safe!
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
brothaman
* * * * *
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: SC

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by brothaman » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:30 am

I've hit a little snag with my rifle, hope you guys can help me figure this out.

16" Carbine gas 7.62x39 AR with 5 Round ASC mag. 200 plus rounds fired with no issues. Last trip to the range, the rifle light strikes feeding from the mag. Loading single is all good. Loading single, then installed a loaded mag - Rifle fires and cycles properly then light strikes the next round loaded from the mag. I have been leaving 4 rounds in the mag to break it in a bit. I have no other mags to test. Only shooting the Wolf FMJ. Maybe the lips of the mag have stretched? Any ideas before I start twerking on my mag?

Update: Stronger buffer spring and H Buffer fixed the issue. I guess shucking the cart form the mag was slowing the bolt down after 200 rounds.
Last edited by brothaman on Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

User avatar
ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:02 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...
Location: neia

Re: All purpose

Post by ausher » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:42 am

emclean wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
emclean wrote:I cant be the first guy to damage a lower assembling it, can I?

I snapped off one of the 'ears' for the trigger guard driving the roll pin in.
dam thing was a little too big, and didn't go through the hole.

who else had done something like this?
I used to repair those fairly often. If you can braze or (noises of terror) weld, you can always turn your lower into one with a permanently attached trigger guard. for the future, make sure you support the underside of the ear with a thick plastic coaster or something similar.
I am going the other way, grinding it down and going without a trigger guard. it is getting a light straight trigger that I wasn't sure was going to clear the standard trigger guard anyway.
I would get one of those stark industry grips with the built in trigger guard.

User avatar
Frank
* * * * *
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Frank » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:16 am

i bought a stripped lower to start a build but I'm not sure what route I want to take. I've been reading up online and have noticed some guys have (I believe) purchased the lower as "other" on their 4473 (or have had their lowers marked as other?) if they plan on making it into a pistol. I'm not exactly sure what that means seeing as how I was never given the option to select a "use" for the lower. Hope I'm explaining that correctly.
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:37 am

Frank wrote:i bought a stripped lower to start a build but I'm not sure what route I want to take. I've been reading up online and have noticed some guys have (I believe) purchased the lower as "other" on their 4473 (or have had their lowers marked as other?) if they plan on making it into a pistol. I'm not exactly sure what that means seeing as how I was never given the option to select a "use" for the lower. Hope I'm explaining that correctly.
You don't select the "use" it goes on what the manufacturer paid the tax as, stripped reciever, rifle, pistol, etc.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Frank
* * * * *
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Frank » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:03 pm

Ah okay, that makes sense.


Off topic.
Does anyone have a spikes st-t2 buffer?
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

PlugUgly
* *
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:16 am
Location: socal

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by PlugUgly » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:46 pm

anybody got a clue about this company and possibly their barrels? Spinta Precision? here's a ;ink:
http://www.spintaprecision.com/16-223-w ... rrel-sale/

otherwise, I think I'm going with a radical barrel kit (includes gas block and tube) from primary arms.

Assault Life
* * *
Posts: 784
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Assault Life » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:41 pm

PlugUgly wrote:anybody got a clue about this company and possibly their barrels? Spinta Precision? here's a ;ink:
http://www.spintaprecision.com/16-223-w ... rrel-sale/

otherwise, I think I'm going with a radical barrel kit (includes gas block and tube) from primary arms.
Rick Shaw on here gave them a shout out a little bit ago, so I ordered one. A .300 AAC 10.5" that was on sale. Fit and finish were excellent and though I've only shot steel, and haven't grouped it yet, it seems to be accurate. Fast shipping from them also. I'd recommend Spinta over Radical.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

PlugUgly
* *
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:16 am
Location: socal

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by PlugUgly » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:47 am

Assault Life wrote:
PlugUgly wrote:anybody got a clue about this company and possibly their barrels? Spinta Precision? here's a ;ink:
http://www.spintaprecision.com/16-223-w ... rrel-sale/

otherwise, I think I'm going with a radical barrel kit (includes gas block and tube) from primary arms.
Rick Shaw on here gave them a shout out a little bit ago, so I ordered one. A .300 AAC 10.5" that was on sale. Fit and finish were excellent and though I've only shot steel, and haven't grouped it yet, it seems to be accurate. Fast shipping from them also. I'd recommend Spinta over Radical.

awesome!! they've got a wylde barrel for $78 right now with a 1:9 twist which should be a good match for the surplus 55-62 grain I plan on shooting, if im not mistaken.

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3971
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Halfapint » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:59 am

Thanks pug for posting in Rick Shaw's spinta page, reminded me that I was going to buy their 300aac bbl.... To bad the 8" is on back order :(

So, I'm looking around and I was originally looking to do a piston build for the 300bo So I don't get so much gas blow back but I cant find any other compelling reason to do so (other than the 20 minutes it'll save cleaning). The cost of a piston system just doesn't seem worth it to me. So I started looking at side charging. The only thing I cannot tell about side charging is if they use different BCG? Looking around online I hear yes and no, some advertise that their SCU don't require a different BCG. Though I don't know if that's a marketing tactic to idjets like me.

Also as looking at their Wylde bbls, from what I can tell 223 wylde can shoot 5.56, and .223 but they have a tighter chamber so they can tighten up groups? is that really the only difference? In theory I could buy a Wylde bbl, and mate it to my standard AR?

Figure I'd ask these in here instead of the firearms chat
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PlugUgly
* *
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:16 am
Location: socal

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by PlugUgly » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:08 pm

my understanding of Wylde is pretty much like you said, same compatibility to fire both 5.56 and .223 but actually is slightly improved over the traditional 5.56 barrel. Basically, my take away from the research I did on the subject, is that it will shoot 5.56 more accurately. I'm probably paraphrasing this horribly, but I'm sure you get my point.

also, I've seen pistol gas tubes that are actually coiled around the barrel as opposed to just being really short. I'm guessing that helps with the problems people have when using barrels under 10"?

User avatar
Langenator
* * *
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:20 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)
Location: Aggieland, TX

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Langenator » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:26 pm

PlugUgly wrote:my understanding of Wylde is pretty much like you said, same compatibility to fire both 5.56 and .223 but actually is slightly improved over the traditional 5.56 barrel. Basically, my take away from the research I did on the subject, is that it will shoot 5.56 more accurately. I'm probably paraphrasing this horribly, but I'm sure you get my point.

also, I've seen pistol gas tubes that are actually coiled around the barrel as opposed to just being really short. I'm guessing that helps with the problems people have when using barrels under 10"?
When I was in Afghanistan, I came across some old, Federal AWB vintage issues of Small Arms Review. They had ads for coiled gas tubes for carbine length barrels. So the concept isn't exactly new.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

PlugUgly
* *
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:16 am
Location: socal

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by PlugUgly » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:30 pm

Langenator wrote:
PlugUgly wrote:my understanding of Wylde is pretty much like you said, same compatibility to fire both 5.56 and .223 but actually is slightly improved over the traditional 5.56 barrel. Basically, my take away from the research I did on the subject, is that it will shoot 5.56 more accurately. I'm probably paraphrasing this horribly, but I'm sure you get my point.

also, I've seen pistol gas tubes that are actually coiled around the barrel as opposed to just being really short. I'm guessing that helps with the problems people have when using barrels under 10"?
When I was in Afghanistan, I came across some old, Federal AWB vintage issues of Small Arms Review. They had ads for coiled gas tubes for carbine length barrels. So the concept isn't exactly new.
no, I don't think it is. I just cant remember where I saw them last.

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3971
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Halfapint » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:47 pm

Anyone know about the Side charged uppers? Are the bolts inter changeable with a standard bolt? And while I was on spinta they had flat cut BCG. Wondering if there's any down side to those instead of the round ones? Seems like I'd be less mass and less pints of friction, but they don't seem to be all that popular since their on sale and not many people carry them.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PlugUgly
* *
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:16 am
Location: socal

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by PlugUgly » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:47 pm

At this point I'm just plain baffled when it comes to choosing a bcg. Forget the flashy gimmicks, what's the best bang for the buck? I was on the verge of getting a TiN and then I went and read some reviews about the radical arms offering and they just basically all said it was pretty but failed to function. Where can I find just a standard mil-spec bcg that I can run and trust, and will it really have to cost me north of $200? (that last part is sarcasm)

User avatar
91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!
Location: Hill Country, Texas

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:27 am

PlugUgly wrote:At this point I'm just plain baffled when it comes to choosing a bcg. Forget the flashy gimmicks, what's the best bang for the buck? I was on the verge of getting a TiN and then I went and read some reviews about the radical arms offering and they just basically all said it was pretty but failed to function. Where can I find just a standard mil-spec bcg that I can run and trust, and will it really have to cost me north of $200? (that last part is sarcasm)
BCM and never worry again.

PSA's "machine gun" BCG is good quality for the money too, especially when they go on sale for $90 every few months. Throw a BCM extractor upgrade kit on there like I did with all my non BCM bolts if you're concerned about relability.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

PlugUgly
* *
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:16 am
Location: socal

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by PlugUgly » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:52 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
PlugUgly wrote:At this point I'm just plain baffled when it comes to choosing a bcg. Forget the flashy gimmicks, what's the best bang for the buck? I was on the verge of getting a TiN and then I went and read some reviews about the radical arms offering and they just basically all said it was pretty but failed to function. Where can I find just a standard mil-spec bcg that I can run and trust, and will it really have to cost me north of $200? (that last part is sarcasm)
BCM and never worry again.

PSA's "machine gun" BCG is good quality for the money too, especially when they go on sale for $90 every few months. Throw a BCM extractor upgrade kit on there like I did with all my non BCM bolts if you're concerned about relability.
Yeah, I will probably just go with the BCM group. Aside from it being a brand I trust, and seeing that its a reasonable middle ground kind of price, PSA also seems to HATE keeping things in stock ever. except for all the effin deals they email me 4 times a day I guess.

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 7266
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:32 pm

*** Deal Alert ***

Burris AR-PEPR 30mm QD mount. $59.99 today only (to 12:00 midnight)

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... 10342.html

Normally $90 - $120. Great deal on a quality AR optic mount.

Image

User avatar
0122358
* * * * *
Posts: 1804
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:07 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland
Location: Purdy...Washington

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by 0122358 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:37 am

Does anyone have experience with Centurion Arm's Rails? I'm looking at the cut out C4 rail.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Post Reply

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”