All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by raistlin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:28 pm

ashwednesday wrote:
raistlin wrote:Hey, guys. Looking to put together an AR, and I'm a rifle noob. Looking at getting my first component, the PSA 16" MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1/7 PREMIUM UPPER - WITHOUT BCG OR CHARGING HANDLE for about $290 shipped.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... andle.html

Any better deals out there for a mid length with Chrome moly barrel with chrome lined bore and similar quality build overall? Or should I go for it? I've ordered other items from PSA, and I am happy to stick with them.
Looks good. Personally, for the next one I buy I'm going to hold out for cold hammer forged.
Thanks! Do you think the Pencil version would be worth it for $20 more. It's discounted a good bit
PSA PENCIL PREMIUM MADNESS - 16'' MID-LENGTH CMV CL STRIPPED UPPER
I just figured it be better to have the little bit heavier barrel.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:53 pm

Last I saw BCM had 16" middy uppers with free BCG and compensator for $450..putting the cost of the upper alone under $290. Much better quality IMO.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:09 am

AS556 wrote:Last I saw BCM had 16" middy uppers with free BCG and compensator for $450..putting the cost of the upper alone under $290. Much better quality IMO.
Tempting, but I had budgeted to build the AR15 over the next few months. I think I'd be fine with the PSA, and then watch for one of their specials on their BCG and handle.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:45 am

raistlin wrote:
AS556 wrote:Last I saw BCM had 16" middy uppers with free BCG and compensator for $450..putting the cost of the upper alone under $290. Much better quality IMO.
Tempting, but I had budgeted to build the AR15 over the next few months. I think I'd be fine with the PSA, and then watch for one of their specials on their BCG and handle.
PSA has been good to me so far. Except for a grip that was bent, I have nothing but good things to say.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:53 am

I never had issues with the uppers minus one stuck case, I had some issues with failures to go into battery that I was finally able to trace back to a weak extractor spring that wasn't the uppers fault but it was a PSA premium BCG. I also had a castle nut on this same complete rifle not be staked properly causing my buffer tube to work loose after about 2k rounds. That said those things were easy fixes and if I needed another upper in that price range I'd buy another.
Last edited by AS556 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:21 am

raistlin wrote:
ashwednesday wrote:
raistlin wrote:Hey, guys. Looking to put together an AR, and I'm a rifle noob. Looking at getting my first component, the PSA 16" MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1/7 PREMIUM UPPER - WITHOUT BCG OR CHARGING HANDLE for about $290 shipped.

Any better deals out there for a mid length with Chrome moly barrel with chrome lined bore and similar quality build overall? Or should I go for it? I've ordered other items from PSA, and I am happy to stick with them.
Looks good. Personally, for the next one I buy I'm going to hold out for cold hammer forged.
Thanks! Do you think the Pencil version would be worth it for $20 more. It's discounted a good bit
PSA PENCIL PREMIUM MADNESS - 16'' MID-LENGTH CMV CL STRIPPED UPPER
I just figured it be better to have the little bit heavier barrel.
Ive already got two carbines...but damn does that full length AR rifle kit look so tempting at 539
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:55 pm

"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:01 pm

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... andle.html ...or this one?
If it's not that much more for the one with the chf barrel, then get the one with the chf barrel, maybe?
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:38 pm

ashwednesday wrote:http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... andle.html ...or this one?
If it's not that much more for the one with the chf barrel, then get the one with the chf barrel, maybe?
Thanks. I do appreciate the suggestions.

I do want to stick with the mid length for the better sight radius, and also the additional bit of length in the grip. I really am trying to stay on budget of around $300 for the upper right now, then I'll pick up the BCG & handle, lower, and optics over the next few months. It's easy to want to spend more, though :)

That being said, if I was going to spend over $400 right now, I'd probably go for the PSA CHF 20"

Must resist :)

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:39 pm

0122358 wrote:Ive already got two carbines...but damn does that full length AR rifle kit look so tempting at 539
And this is why I figured I don't have to have it all with my first build, because I'm sure I'll want another :mrgreen:

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:53 pm

I now nearly have all the bits and pieces to build my first AR-15. Buffer weight is in the mail. Picked up the complete PSA blem upper today from UPS.

It's a sickness. And I haven't even begun to build...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:22 am

A castle nut. I don't have a mutherphucking CASTLE NUT. :evil:

Glad there's a shop nearby that's open on Sundays. Cuz that's ALL I need. Arg.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
ZS Wiki

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:21 pm

Well, the first shop I went to didn't have any in stock, despite their online inventory saying they did...

The next shop--small, new shop closer to me--didn't have one in stock, either. But the guy helping me--the owner's brother--had just built an AR he put on the shelf to sell. He looked at it, verified what I needed, asked how much they usually go for (I said $10), and said he'd just sell me that one and to wait while he disassembled.

:clap:

While I was there, I grabbed a couple of mags, a beanie of the business, and a book for Virginia gun owners. A few hours after I got home found me piecing the last pieces together.

All done:

Anderson lower
PSA upper
PSA 5.56 Premium Full Auto BCG
PSA CHF 16'' 5.56mm 1:7 M4A1 profile barrel
BCM Gunfighter charging handle
Magpul furniture
Magpul ASAP plate
Blackhawk single point sling
Bushnell TRS-25 red dot

I have a flip up sight to add still. Have to decide which set to have on my M&P-10--Troy or Ruger. Then will put the other on this.
-
ZS Wiki

AS556

Post by AS556 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:00 pm

Nice dude! Enjoy.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:25 pm

I've still never even shot an AR...

I'm sure I'm not the only one to find that more than a little funny. Or sad.

-
ZS Wiki

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Re: All purpose

Post by Resolute » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:32 am

Beowolf wrote:I've still never even shot an AR...

I'm sure I'm not the only one to find that more than a little funny. Or sad.

At least soon you'll be able to change that. Congrats on a completed gun.

You have almost my exact setup. Let us know how you like it.

And what gun store did you go to? I know a couple in that area, and it'd be nice to go visit one where you got good service.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:16 am

It's called the Gun Dude. They just opened this one in Falls Church in January. Totally friendly, excellent customer service, and just cool guys. Josh is the owner.

-
ZS Wiki

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:12 pm

The cheapo PSA build is still running well. Its been 100% except a few Tula rounds that wouldnt go Bang! (ammo's fault not gun)

I dont know round count but Ive filled a coffee can with brass, not counting the ones I didnt pick up/find and the 200 or so steel-case Ive shot through it.

I cleaned and lubed it with CLP the day I built it, not been apart since.

Today I tossed it into a snowbank and left it about 1.5 hours, wiped off, worked action 5 times, ran a mag flawlessly.

Im kind of an AK guy but this AR is growing on me.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:42 pm

So back on page 272, you can see my PSA upper. I've since sold my second rifle, and apparently I should have held on to it...

I haven't gone to the range much lately due to health issues, but after I stuck it on my lower and put on my RDS, I took it to the range a few times. It shoots all over the place, even from close range, and I'm lucky if I can hit a large target at all, and that seems to be completely random anyway. We took off my Eotech and stuck it on another rifle to make sure it was at least close to on target, but that didn't help at all, and I zeroed the EOTech as well, then tried again with no improvement. I know I should have BUIS on it, but I don't right now, however I should still be able to walk shots onto the target at worst, and even that isn't happening.

What can I check to figure out what's wrong with it without having to pay shipping to PSA? I don't mind sending it back to PSA to be "repaired", but if I can just tighten and loosen the barrel nut or take off the handguards and shoot it, I will. If the crown is damaged, how would I tell? I've never cleaned it with anything but a boresnake, so I doubt I could have damaged it myself. It's had about 250-300 rounds through it, so it's not a break in problem, or at least if it is, it's at best tangentially related.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:53 pm

Either the crown, just look for anything that looks damaged. I'd bet your barrel nut is loose if it's just shotgunning wildly.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:33 am

so picked up my lower... time to build..
im gonna build a dissapator probably from here http://www.midwayusa.com/product/840432 ... tor-barrel
or here
http://www.m-16parts.com/contents/en-us ... pator.html

inputs? thoughts suggestions?
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:18 am

0122358 wrote:
Dave, I graduate in about 6 months and will finally have time and money available to spend on training. My plan is to attend my local schools with once or twice a year going out to Milcopp, Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, Haley Strategic, Mike Pannone, Tactical Response, and Arron Cowan and taking classes with them. Over the next few years of course.
When you go out to Gunsite let me know. You can sleep on my couch and I'll take the class with you if I can. They're an hours drive from me.

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:17 pm

Purchased a bunch of parts to build a 9mm ar pistol That uses glock magazines.

Qcircle10 lower receiver And an asa side charge upper. I guess I'll have to modify the bolt carrier for glock mags and ramp it for standard ar hammers.

Anyone make a pistol using glock magazines? Any problefeeding, ejecting ect?

Should be a fun lil gun. Hopefully iowa will get the bill passed for suppressors soon. I'd like to sbr it, but it's currently a no go in iowa....

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:20 pm

Looking for a two point sling for my first carbine course, ideally affordable before blonged out.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”