All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Frank

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Frank » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:39 am

Would a different/heavier bolt somehow change head spacing or loosen the barrel nut?
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

Frank

Post by Frank » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:04 am

Found this in my locking lugs. Wtf is it?!
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:16 am

Aside from "something that probably shouldn't have been there in the first place," I am not really sure.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Frank

Post by Frank » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:30 am

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:Aside from "something that probably shouldn't have been there in the first place," I am not really sure.
Well, yeah. Kinda glad I don't have to have it shipped out now at least

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:46 pm

Absolute or 1/3 co-witness for Primary Arms Micro clone and why?

I've only every used 100% co-witness and normally when using the dot just folded down the rear sight.

Doesn't 1/3 co-witness basically turn your cheek-weld into a chin weld?
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:37 pm

I think it mostly turns into a personal preference thing. I like cowitness on my eotech, probably because the field of view is so large. I'm imagining when my PM micro gets here I'll want 1/3 because of the comparatively smaller field of view. (I just bought one too :clownshoes: )
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:14 pm

TheLastOne wrote:I think it mostly turns into a personal preference thing. I like cowitness on my eotech, probably because the field of view is so large. I'm imagining when my PM micro gets here I'll want 1/3 because of the comparatively smaller field of view. (I just bought one too :clownshoes: )
Alright, same exact boat then.

I have an absolute co-witness on my EOTech 512 and I just pulled the trigger on one of those P.A. Micro clones as well. $49 was just too inexpensive to pass up. That American Defense mount was actually more than the dot sight was.

I'll try the 1/3 out and see how I like it.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:54 pm

All this talk about those Primary Arms sights makes me wish I hadn't decided to put off taking advantage of Aim's sale, as they're now sold out... :-/

If they come back in stock before the sale ends, which is better? The "regular" one of the -L version?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:07 pm

Akin wrote:All this talk about those Primary Arms sights makes me wish I hadn't decided to put off taking advantage of Aim's sale, as they're now sold out... :-/
Just go to their actual site, same $49 4th of July sale.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arm ... /md-06.htm

I think it's going on til the 8th.
If they come back in stock before the sale ends, which is better? The "regular" one of the -L version?
From what I understand the only difference is that the switch is on the left on the 'L' version.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:27 pm

Ahhh, thanks!

Scuttlebut I've heard is that these are great for range guns and stuff, but that they aren't the sort of thing you'd want on a weapon if your life were on the line... is that an accurate view?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:34 pm

This isn't really about building an AR, but it is related, and I can't seem to find any ammo threads...

At the past couple of SHOT Shows, the guys from PMC have been telling me that they'll have their X-Tac ammo out in sealed "battlepacks" sometime soon...

Looks like "soon" has finally arrived!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/576288/product

I won't pay that much for M193ish ammo from anyone but IMI, but I expect it'll come down...
Last edited by Akin on Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:17 pm

^ saw that too. I think Privi is cheaper..

As for the PW sights, yeah the story in the schoolyard is that they aren't 'battle sights'. Which probably means for 99% of users they are just fine :lol:
If a $50 sight busts on me I probably won't cry much. I'm interested in seeing how the micro holds up on my ak.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Akin wrote:http://www.midwayusa.com/product/576288/product

I won't pay that much for M193ish ammo from anyone but IMI, but I expect it'll come down...
Ditto on what TLO said on the Primary Arms Micro from what I've heard. Supposed to hold up pretty well from the videos of fuckers batting them around on YouTube.

-
I wouldn't pay $500 for 1k of M-193 from PMC when there's a sale on 1,000 rds of Igman M-193 for $299.

http://ammunitionstore.com/products/223 ... -case.html

There's also always this stuff at $459.80 per 1,000 rds. Groups decently as a target round and isn't half bad as a hog rd either.

Hornady steel 75 grn BTHP (*Click*)

It's even at that price at places like Bass Pro, so I'm sure you can find it cheaper other places if you look around.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:41 pm

Browning I have some of that Hornady Steel 75gr..hows it fare on hogs? As for the Micro, mine is lower 1/3 and works for me. Still holding zero after repeated violent mortaring and 1k rds. Good enough I say.

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:40 pm

AS556 wrote:Browning I have some of that Hornady Steel 75gr..hows it fare on hogs?
Haven't taken any hogs with the 75 gr. BTHP Match Steel yet, only thing I've killed with that load so far is some paper.

For hogs I have used both the Hornady .223 Rem 75 gr. TAP FPD and the brass-cased 75 gr. BTHP Match and those worked well. I checked before I bought 550 rds of the steel match and the ballistics are the same across the board for the three. The brass-cased Hornady 75 gr. BTHP Match and the 75 gr. BTHP Steel Match use the same projectile and I believe the TAP FPD uses the same case as the Steel Match, but a slightly different bullet (had a cannelure, not sure if it was a T1C, the T2 or what).

I like TSX's or Fusion a bit better, but I'm not going to be able to find either of those at 0.40 cents a round, so I went with the Hornady 75 gr. BTHP Steel Match instead simply because it's pretty good while being a little less expensive. It'll perform way better than M-193 and at least the same as the 55 gr. SP's which are my bulk hunting fallback load. During the spring and summer we're not eating them anyway, so if the bullet fragments sending lead fragments and copper jacketing throughout the meat I won't be spitting it out onto a dinner plate at a later time.

Since the bullet/ballistics are exactly the same I'm figuring the Steel Match will perform the same way that those other two did. The results for both TAP and the brass cased BTHP Match on hogs ranged from 'Cool, that did the job'...to...'Dayum, look at that shit!'. If I'm shooting a 5.56 usually I'm using that one with the 20' barrel, plus the distances aren't real far (furthest shot is about 250 yards down on the end of the pipeline and most times it's half that).
As for the Micro, mine is lower 1/3 and works for me. Still holding zero after repeated violent mortaring and 1k rds. Good enough I say.
Is yours on the P.A. mount or the American Defense mount?
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:47 pm

Browning 35 wrote:
AS556 wrote:Browning I have some of that Hornady Steel 75gr..hows it fare on hogs?
Haven't taken any hogs with the 75 gr. BTHP Match Steel yet, only thing I've killed with that load so far is some paper.

For hogs I have used both the Hornady .223 Rem 75 gr. TAP FPD and the brass-cased 75 gr. BTHP Match and those worked well. I checked before I bought 550 rds of the steel match and the ballistics are the same across the board for the three. The brass-cased Hornady 75 gr. BTHP Match and the 75 gr. BTHP Steel Match use the same projectile and I believe the TAP FPD uses the same case as the Steel Match, but a slightly different bullet (had a cannelure, not sure if it was a T1C, the T2 or what).

I like TSX's or Fusion a bit better, but I'm not going to be able to find either of those at 0.40 cents a round, so I went with the Hornady 75 gr. BTHP Steel Match instead simply because it's pretty good while being a little less expensive. It'll perform way better than M-193 and at least the same as the 55 gr. SP's which are my bulk hunting fallback load. During the spring and summer we're not eating them anyway, so if the bullet fragments sending lead fragments and copper jacketing throughout the meat I won't be spitting it out onto a dinner plate at a later time.

Since the bullet/ballistics are exactly the same I'm figuring the Steel Match will perform the same way that those other two did. The results for both TAP and the brass cased BTHP Match on hogs ranged from 'Cool, that did the job'...to...'Dayum, look at that shit!'. If I'm shooting a 5.56 usually I'm using that one with the 20' barrel, plus the distances aren't real far (furthest shot is about 250 yards down on the end of the pipeline and most times it's half that).
As for the Micro, mine is lower 1/3 and works for me. Still holding zero after repeated violent mortaring and 1k rds. Good enough I say.
Is yours on the P.A. mount or the American Defense mount?
Its the PA mount, which I believe is a UTG. I did have the mount come loose once early on but Loctite seemed to have fixed it. The mount is, without question, the weak point of my RDS setup. With the AD mount you should be GTG.

Thats good to hear about the Hornady ballistics, though FYI I had a stuck case with it that required a rod to clear. Its accurate as hell in my 1/7 though. Have you looked at the Prvi 69 or 75gr OTM? Ive had good luck with them and they regularly are under .50c/rd.

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:02 am

AS556 wrote:Its the PA mount, which I believe is a UTG. I did have the mount come loose once early on but Loctite seemed to have fixed it. The mount is, without question, the weak point of my RDS setup. With the AD mount you should be GTG.
Cool.

Came back today and that P.A. Micro and the A.D. Mount was waiting for me on the porch. I guess they really want you to use thread locker on the screws as it actually came with a clear plastic bullet of it (small clue), so I used the stuff they provided. Can't be beat for $49 bucks. Real easy to put on.

That emitter is pretty big, but after looking through it with both eyes open it eventually went into my the outside edge of my peripheral vision. Hopefully it'll disappear altogether.
Thats good to hear about the Hornady ballistics, though FYI I had a stuck case with it that required a rod to clear.
Hmmm, the 3 stuck cases I've had total have all been with Wolf, hasn't happened with Hornady (not yet anyway, probably jinxing myself here). It's always been when I shot Wolf in an already real dirty gun, switched to brass and then switched back to Wolf. For some reason those few times created the perfect storm of dirty.
Its accurate as hell in my 1/7 though. Have you looked at the Prvi 69 or 75gr OTM? Ive had good luck with them and they regularly are under .50c/rd.
Only PRVI load I've used for hog hunting is their 55 gr. Soft Points (cheapest hunting load period @ Academy). Haven't tried any of their 69 or 75 gr. loads to hunt with yet, just targets awhile back. Maybe after this Hornady go-around. Ironic that you'd mention the Prvi 69 grain load though, I bought this lot of Hornady from a guy on ARF.com cheaper than what they had it for in stores, but if it hadn't been for this deal I would have ended up with Prvi 69 gr. HP Match for $8.75 (0.43 cents a rd) a box. I just got this stuff a little cheaper than that (0.40 cents a rd). That Prvi was actually in the cart and everything before I decided to do one more search and found that listing.

Used several OTM's on hogs and they did great just so long as you're okay with fragmentation (as it does ruin some meat in the process).

When I first got into hog hunting I wanted to try as many loads as possible so I bought a really wide assortment of brands/loads and tried a bit of everything. Even tried several brands of M-193 and L.C. SS-109 (no bullet type restrictions on hogs down here since they're vermin).

These are some of different loads I've tried, wanted so see how they performed.
  • SSA 64gr SSA PPT
  • Silver State Armory 70gr Barnes TSX
  • Hornady 55 gr. TAP-Urban
  • Hornady 68 Grain BTHP Match
  • Hornady TAP-FPD 75 grain
  • Federal TRU 55 gr. SP
  • Federal Premium 55gr. Barnes Triple-Shock
  • Federal TBBC
  • Federal Premium 60gr. Nosler Partition
  • Federal Fusion 62gr. Fusion
  • Federal XM556FBIT3 - 5.56 62gr FBI Bonded
  • Federal Premium 64gr. soft point
  • Black Hills Moly Coated 68 Grain Heavy Match.
  • PRVI 55 gr. SP's
  • Black Hills 62 Gr. Barnes TSX
  • Black Hills 77 Grain Sierra MatchKing.
  • Winchester 55 gr Ballistic Silvertip
  • Winchester 64 gr Power-Points
  • Sierra 55 grain Game-King reloads
  • Several flavors of M-193
  • Lake City SS-109
  • Wolf 55 grain HP
My favorite .223/5.56 hunting load is that SSA 70 gr. TSX, 2nd was Federal TBBC, but when that was discontinued then on to the Fusion. After that then Black Hills 62 gr. TSX is 3rd and I've used Winchester 64 gr the longest so it's gotta make it onto the list somewhere (the SSA 64 gr. PPT load is a clone of this one).

75 grain Hornady is just literally in every gun store I go into and it's pretty accurate. The few times I've used it for hog hunting it's put them down well. So I'll give it a long term shot.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

AS556

Post by AS556 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:21 pm

Jeez thats a pretty comprehensive list. How did the M193, m855 and Prvi SP do? Have had them all in the mag of my HD carbine at one point or another so I'm pretty curious.

On a related note, I broke the mount screw on my PA Micro's riser while trying to tighten it as far as it could go. Shot an email to PA so we'll see if I can get a new one cheap or preferably free. Good news is I just popped it off and shot for the day with my BUIS and shot them as well, if not better than the RDS. Still not as reflexive feeling as the optic.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:24 pm

AS556 wrote:Jeez thats a pretty comprehensive list. How did the M193, m855 and Prvi SP do? Have had them all in the mag of my HD carbine at one point or another so I'm pretty curious.

On a related note, I broke the mount screw on my PA Micro's riser while trying to tighten it as far as it could go. Shot an email to PA so we'll see if I can get a new one cheap or preferably free. Good news is I just popped it off and shot for the day with my BUIS and shot them as well, if not better than the RDS. Still not as reflexive feeling as the optic.
Instead of using your pimp hand, tighten it good and snug,m and use a threadlocker. Always use a threadlocker.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

AS556

Post by AS556 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:23 am

True. I did use Loctite I guess I was just skeptical of its strength. Little more patience, a lot less pimp hand. Oh well live and learn.

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:04 pm

AS556 wrote:Jeez thats a pretty comprehensive list. How did the M193, m855 and Prvi SP do? Have had them all in the mag of my HD carbine at one point or another so I'm pretty curious.
The M193 fragmented in both cases I used it, one wound channel was actually pretty large and I was a bit surprised (first time I used it). The other was a smaller wound channel than what I usually see from hunting loads and less fragmentation than the first time. Same ammo/lot/same box even, same gun (16' 1/9), same range (about 60 yards at night) and even the same basic size hog (a little over 100 lbs both times). I don't know what caused the difference.

The M855 fragmented in one case, didn't in another and I recovered it in the skin on the far side (I recovered it completely whole except for rifling and it's sitting next to the hog skull in my closet in a dish) and I don't know about the 3rd as I didn't recover the bullet...zipped on through. They all managed to run between 50 to 100 yards before settling down except for one that was spine shot that dumped him immediately where he squealed and squealed before I got over there and put another one behind his ear. The general impression I got as opposed to SP's was that they ran farther and lived longer even on near perfect shots. Both M193 and M855 worked, killed them all dead but it seemed to take longer. At that point I switched back to SP's and HP's.

Might not be as comprehensive as you might be thinking though as some have a sample size of one, others only a few and some have dozens and then I switched to the 6.8 SPC. Just experimenting with different loads and then moving on to something else the way most hunters will. I meant to do a post on the different effects I've seen, but it got shelved when little man came along and I don't get out hunting anywhere near as much as I used to.

The 55 PRVI SP worked well. Solid controlled expansion from a cheap as fuck bullet, but I haven't run across a soft point that didn't work at least alright. Most of those I've seen of the Prvi I didn't shoot myself, I was just along for the ride and didn't shoot a single hog that time (wrong side of the lease). Everybody got at least one except for me. The next trip I used what I had in that mag for one hog and then switched to a different load.

I'd switch to SP's or HP's if you have it available, but M193 or M855 will obviously work. I'd use M193 before I used M855.
From the reviews I've read of that P.A. Mount I got the impression that it kind of sucked and was the weak link in an otherwise decent chain.

Still haven't gotten to the range to try that P.A. Micro clone out since I got it. Maybe this weekend.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

AS556

Post by AS556 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Might try and do my stash ammo PPU OTM,SP, and M193 then. Seem to be decent performers all around for the $$. The screw felt like pot metal, I went to the hardware store and got a replacement and some thread locker for around 6$ total. It's a 6/32x1.5 machine screw. Its back in place and thanks to my witness marks I got easily in its old position and it appears to still be zeroed. Also took liberty to loctite a few other items on my rifle that needed it.

So I ordered a Polytac LED for my AR. MOE mount, VTAC, or Magpul railed mount? Thinking 9 o clock placement.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:43 pm

I have a VTAC mount at about an eleven o'clock position. About my favorite mount for guns with fixed irons in the front, where I can't rhino-mount a WML.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:55 pm

Most of my stash is in M-193, then the rest is in 55 gr SP's, BTHP's, and then a few oddball boxes of coyote rds.

9 o'clock or 11 o'clock is what's worked for me the best.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”