All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:06 am

Greg Focker wrote:words

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Brotherbadger wrote:What are you using the gun for? Home Defense? Plinking? Varmit hunting? Match shooting? Do you want it to be a tack driver? Are you planning to make it a SBR? Do you want it to be lightweight? The AR platform is pretty versatile, but you need to figure(or let us know) out what you want to do with it, and go from there.

As for guides, youtube as tons of videos as to the actual process of building an AR. It's actually extremely simple. If you are unfamiliar with the platform, i'd suggest spending some time in the AR15.com tech forums, as there is a wealth of knowledge there.
If I go the AR route it will be for home/farm defense. Of course it will be used for fun as well. I'm still trying to decide if I want to go suppressed .300 blackout. That would mostly be for fun, as the quieter the firearm the more I like to shoot it. I'm just not sure it would be worth the ~$800 or so, and if I'm not going to get a suppressor I'd go with 5.56 instead of .300 AAC BO.

Then again I might not get an AR at all. I think a semi-auto .308 might be more practical, but it doesn't sound nearly as fun.

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:28 am

quazi wrote:
Brotherbadger wrote:What are you using the gun for? Home Defense? Plinking? Varmit hunting? Match shooting? Do you want it to be a tack driver? Are you planning to make it a SBR? Do you want it to be lightweight? The AR platform is pretty versatile, but you need to figure(or let us know) out what you want to do with it, and go from there.

As for guides, youtube as tons of videos as to the actual process of building an AR. It's actually extremely simple. If you are unfamiliar with the platform, i'd suggest spending some time in the AR15.com tech forums, as there is a wealth of knowledge there.
If I go the AR route it will be for home/farm defense. Of course it will be used for fun as well. I'm still trying to decide if I want to go suppressed .300 blackout. That would mostly be for fun, as the quieter the firearm the more I like to shoot it. I'm just not sure it would be worth the ~$800 or so, and if I'm not going to get a suppressor I'd go with 5.56 instead of .300 AAC BO.

Then again I might not get an AR at all. I think a semi-auto .308 might be more practical, but it doesn't sound nearly as fun.

Is there anyway you can shoot both and decide which style fits you better? Some places let you rent guns at their range, it's worth looking into. Last thing you want to do is spend $900 on an AR and decide it's not for you.

My thoughts as far as an AR: go lightweight. Get a pencil(also called lightweight) barrel if possible, and stay away from quad rails. There is nothing wrong with quad rails, but they are about double the weight of many of the new rail setups, and chances are you will never utilize the extra space(not to mention they eat up your hands). IMO, unless you are going to be trying for some bench competitions there is little reason to not have the setup as light as possible. If you are going to be lugging it around, 7lbs is far easier than 11lbs. Again, some might disagree, it's just my opinion.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:32 pm

How not to build your AR.

Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Alright, omnipotent ZS hive mind...

I have a 300 AAC build. 8.5 inch barrel, tubular cf forend, Palmetto upper, lower, and guts, BCM BCG... and a Palmetto pistol buffer tube.

The thing that I'm most unhappy about is the buffer tube. It's huge, heavy, and long.

I feel like I've seen others that are shorter, lighter, and have some padding for a cheek weld. Anyone have any options I should look at?

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:58 pm

Resolute wrote:Alright, omnipotent ZS hive mind...

I have a 300 AAC build. 8.5 inch barrel, tubular cf forend, Palmetto upper, lower, and guts, BCM BCG... and a Palmetto pistol buffer tube.

The thing that I'm most unhappy about is the buffer tube. It's huge, heavy, and long.

I feel like I've seen others that are shorter, lighter, and have some padding for a cheek weld. Anyone have any options I should look at?
No experience with the Palmetto, but I was happy with my Spikes pistol buffer assembly.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:38 pm

I've used the ones from ACE and from Rock River and neither have annoyed me.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:45 am

The longer tubes are actually better if you wish to shoulder the pistol. I mean, do you really shoot it like a pistol anyway?

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:30 pm

How about one of those Sig wrist deals?

http://sigsauer.com/SigStore/sb15-pisto ... e-552.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Resolute

Post by Resolute » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:03 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:
The longer tubes are actually better if you wish to shoulder the pistol. I mean, do you really shoot it like a pistol anyway?
(Edit: I thought) Shouldering a pistol is a NFA no-no. (Edit: But I'm probably wrong.)
Last edited by Resolute on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:08 pm

Resolute wrote:
UndeadInfidel wrote:
Shouldering a pistol is a NFA no-no.
Bullshit. Source.

To clarify: Show me a federal document that states that it is illegal to hold a legal pistol (that is, one that is legal and has been determined to be legal in its current state) against your shoulder to fire it.

I'll wait.

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:55 pm

Resolute wrote:
UndeadInfidel wrote:
Shouldering a pistol is a NFA no-no.
Yep this is complete and absolute bullshit.

Resolute

Post by Resolute » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:54 pm

Thanks for educating. So then, for clarification, buttstocks or anything used as a buttstock on a pistol is illegal?

Ninja edit: Or is it if you have a buttstock on a barrel less than 16", then it's an SBR?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:28 pm

Resolute wrote:Thanks for educating. So then, for clarification, buttstocks or anything used as a buttstock on a pistol is illegal?

Ninja edit: Or is it if you have a buttstock on a barrel less than 16", then it's an SBR?
http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearm ... index.html

Don't take this the wrong way, but go read. Start with that, then start looking up the white letters. NFA is a bit to complex for blanket sweeping answers. First you have to understand what is a handgun, what is a rifle, what is an NFA firearm, and what an Other Weapon is (different from an NFA Any Other Weapon) and you can go from there. There's also the NFA questions thread: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 07&t=73812 which is a good place to go through as well.

Resolute

Post by Resolute » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks for the link. I'm not butthurt in the least. I know others know these rules/laws much better than I do. I should also refrain from posting when mildly inebriated - it's harder to convey what I want to say in a cogent sentence (from the first post that started this part of the conversation).

Time to read more, post less....

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:59 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Sweet,.. you get Netflix on that shit?
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Can anyone point me towards a decent deal on an 8-10" 300 blackout upper?

Also, recommendations on a suppressor for a 300 bo?
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Caenus wrote:Also, recommendations on a suppressor for a 300 bo?
If you only only only shoot subs through it, most every centerfire pistol can will work. Otherwise:

Huntertown Arms: pretty in an ugly kind of way, the Kestrel 7.62 AK is the budget option.The cans are completely modular. $499 for the 7.62 AK, or $599 for the slightly longer and heavier 308 version.
Our Warranty
Huntertown Arms warranties its silencers for life. If you are doing something that you can imagine yourself being laughed at on YouTube, think twice and then don't do it. Some examples of non-warranty claims:

Trying to fire .223 rounds through a .22 silencer.
Shooting a boosted silencer on a fixed barrel.
Not making sure the barrel is threaded properly and the silencer is on the host weapon all the way.
Putting the baffles in backwards.
Firing thousands of rounds without cleaning your silencer.
Using unlisted calibers (Check the specific suppressor's webpage.)
Using on a barrel that is shorter than min. specification on product page (Check the specific suppressor's webpage.)
We reserve the right to add to the list above from time to time if we hear about new stuff anyone has done.

Baffle and end cap strikes are NOT covered by warranty, as they occur due to forces outside of our control.

We will repair or replace, free of charge, any silencer manufactured by Huntertown Arms, if damaged while being used as intended. Our warranty does not cover damage to the silencer and/or host firearm resulting from criminal or negligent use, improper or careless handling or installation, modifications, improper hand-loaded or reloaded ammunition, or neglect. You will be expected to pay for any repairs not covered by this warranty.

Typical charges for repairs
Aluminum rimfire baffle strikes - $20 per baffle.
Stainless steel rimfire baffle strikes - $35 per baffle.
Rimfire endcap strikes - $25.
Centerfire rifle baffle strikes - $35 per baffle.
Centerfire rifle baffle housing strikes - $60.
Clean rimfire- $25
Clean centerfire - $35
Other than that, the AAC SD-6N, Gemtech HVT, and really most of the other .30 cal cans from known quantities are GTG. Once the stamps come through I'm going to look at getting a 3-lug-to-5/8x24 adapter and trying the 9mm can on it. I know Ospreys work, and they look pretty sexy to boot.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:32 pm

Caenus wrote:Can anyone point me towards a decent deal on an 8-10" 300 blackout upper?

Also, recommendations on a suppressor for a 300 bo?
Hard to go wrong with AAC's complete 9" upper... Or build your own. My next BLK build will be a 7 1/2 - 9" lightweight build.

I have a SDN-6 waiting for the tax stamp to clear. If you're thinking of getting a suppressor, don't waste time...wait is 12-15 months right now.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:51 am

91Eunozs wrote:I have a SDN-6 waiting for the tax stamp to clear. If you're thinking of getting a suppressor, don't waste time...wait is 12-15 months right now.
Damn. I feel fortunate that I just got my basic three out of the way (22lr, 45acp multi, 30cal multi).

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:47 pm

I have an opportunity to pick up a DMPS AR upper from a friend who needs cash at a very reasonable price. I won't call it cheap. It just standard carbine length, chrome lined 16" upper. No BCG. Anything in particular to look out for on a DPMS AR? Any reason not to buy? At what price point does the name brand no longer matter?
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

prtp3warrior

Post by prtp3warrior » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Just a question from an AR noob. Would these two purchases get me a complete .556 rifle minus sights?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... n-kit.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... lower.html

Thanks for the help.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Yes
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:41 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:
91Eunozs wrote:I have a SDN-6 waiting for the tax stamp to clear. If you're thinking of getting a suppressor, don't waste time...wait is 12-15 months right now.
Damn. I feel fortunate that I just got my basic three out of the way (22lr, 45acp multi, 30cal multi).

Ditto... but waiting for the tax stamps to clear on all three. 6 months down...?? to go.

Thinking about buying another .22LR; a Sparrow this time.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”