All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 14985
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: st louis

All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by jamoni » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 pm

It seems like every day there's someone new looking for advice on an AR15 build. It'd be nice if we didn't have 200 threads on "tell me what to put on my AR"/
I'm starting this thread for that purpose. Any questions you have about parts, tools, techniques, tacticoolness, etc, put it in here, and I'm sure we can get answers for you.
I'll start ;)
I'm building a poor man's SDMR.
So far I have a RRA lower with RRA parts kit.
I'm thinking about using an A1 buttstock, and putting an adjustable comb/butt on it.
Basically, I want to take the kydex sleeve from this:
adjustable comb
and put it on this:
adjustable butt.
This should give me a very low profile adjustable stock.
Does anyone see any problems with this plan? I know there are other options, like the magpull or the mako ssr25, but I really want this rifle to look pretty stock.
For the upper, I'm going to use a BCM 20" upper. I may eventually replace it with a custom upper w/ heavy barrel and picatinny gasblock, but for now it'll be the BCM.
I plan to use this handguard setup:
DPMS DCM free float handguards,
Something like these, but preferably in metal,
and a good bipod. Any problems or suggestions about this?
Not sure what glass or other optics I'll be running. For now I'll throw my Bushnell Sportsman on it, but I want something better. Planned use of this rifle is for shots between 100-600m. Any suggestions?
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

User avatar
congochris
* * * * *
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:02 pm
Location: Colorado Springs-ish

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by congochris » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:19 pm

I'd go for a free float sleeve so I could use whatever handguards I wanted. Me, I'd use that and MOE handguards (whenever they actually put out the rifle/middie length ones) and then use the rail sections you attach to the MOE guards to mount your accessories without having to do a fully railed free float tube.

Fo scopes I found a brand that really surprised me: "Redfield". Old american compaany bought by Leupold, and the scopes are still made in Oregon. Got one myself, but other than mounting the scope, checking eye relief/focus I haven't had it out yet. So I honestly can't give a recommendation beyond it being US made, and a hell of a lot less expensive than other scopes I was looking at. I'll try to do a review of it once I get out and put some rounds downrange with it on my Stevens.

User avatar
jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 14985
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: st louis

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by jamoni » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:14 pm

That free float tube is just the ticket, and the reason I ask questions! Thanks!
As for the MOE handguards, Meh. I like the A2 style, I just want to be able to mount a bipod.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

nimdabew
* * * * *
Posts: 9331
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:27 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by nimdabew » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:37 pm

jamoni wrote:That free float tube is just the ticket, and the reason I ask questions! Thanks!
As for the MOE handguards, Meh. I like the A2 style, I just want to be able to mount a bipod.
I would actually use something a bit different for the bi-pod mount if you are going to mount it to the tube. I switched over to FF-rail tubes for my rifles that I plan to DMR, but I have these angled sections for regular plastic handguards. I can give them to you if you want to pay for shipping.
Thanks Anianna!
Image
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

User avatar
jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 14985
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: st louis

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by jamoni » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:14 pm

nimdabew wrote:
jamoni wrote:That free float tube is just the ticket, and the reason I ask questions! Thanks!
As for the MOE handguards, Meh. I like the A2 style, I just want to be able to mount a bipod.
I would actually use something a bit different for the bi-pod mount if you are going to mount it to the tube. I switched over to FF-rail tubes for my rifles that I plan to DMR, but I have these angled sections for regular plastic handguards. I can give them to you if you want to pay for shipping.
That's a definite possibility. So they are rails angled to match the taper of the stock handguards?
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

MTechnik
* * *
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:50 am

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by MTechnik » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:04 pm

I wonder how steady that comb will be when attached to a telescoping stock bit like that, especially it being a rubber one that you are screwing the comb riser into. I'd look into something like the "accuriser"

Image
My intelligence insults itself.

User avatar
jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 14985
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: st louis

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by jamoni » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:22 pm

Hmm. It may be a little unstable, at that.
However, the one you posted is ugly as shit. :)
However, I wasn't planning on screwing it into rubber. I was going to drill and tap the metal part.
Now that I look at it, though, neither the kydex nor the adjustable butt is what you'd call difficult to make. I may just whip up something in the machine shop that's better.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

User avatar
jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 14985
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: st louis

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by jamoni » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:28 pm

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/pro ... 2-monopod/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The SEXY.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

MTechnik
* * *
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:50 am

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by MTechnik » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:32 pm

jamoni wrote:However, the one you posted is ugly as shit. :)
But functional, stable, and easily removable.

Also, the one you posted may not go far forward enough, if you like having your nose within 3" of the charging handle.
My intelligence insults itself.

User avatar
jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 14985
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: st louis

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by jamoni » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:33 pm

Come to think of it, an adjustable butt is overkill. I'm the only one who will be shooting this thing, so it should be enough to use spacers to get the right length of pull, and the adjustable comb for height.
Hell, on third thought, I should probably wait to see how it indexes with a standard stock. Since I don't have a carry handle, it might just work out....
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

MTechnik
* * *
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:50 am

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by MTechnik » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:59 pm

Planned use of this rifle is for shots between 100-600m. Any suggestions?
I hear good things about the super-sniper 10x scope for the price and for that range. If you're really punching paper, and group sizes are the ultimate goal (with expensive ammo) you'll prolly want more magnification.
This is where a 30mm scope and 1/4moa adjustments are important - they'll give you more adjustment range. (fixed zoom also has more adjustment range) I found out that my nifty nikon buckmaster I have 6-18x with 1/8moa adjustments will run out of adjustment before I run out of range (when lobbing big 75 grain bullets at extreme range.) There are ways around this, with scope bases and rings that will include some downward slope. I'd get a ballistic calculator, run some loads, and make sure the scope's adjustment range fits the drop you'll see. And remember that the zero may not be at the center of the scope - leave some extra range.
My intelligence insults itself.

IAmKalashnikov
*
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:57 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by IAmKalashnikov » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:19 am

So, I've got a 16" barrel on my carbine. Carbine-length gas system, regular collapsible M4 stock, etc. My main goal is to keep the rifle as lightweight as possible yet make it the ultimate SHTF rifle for me. The problem is, I'm rather tall and have long arms, and so I seem to be having a little trouble with the shorter rifle. Even with my stock completely extended, I still feel like my support arm needs to be further along the handguards. This is what led me to trying out different types of grips. I've tried using the magwell, A2 handguards, quad rail system, quad rails with a vert grip, etc. All these different ways, I would move my hand around in different positions that I've noticed people use and try to find the most comfortable for me. So, I feel best with a vert grip, or atleast as best as I can figure out on my own.

I'm running MOE handguards on the rifle, and I'm wanting to add on a vert grip and flashlight. I'm in need of advice on a good vert grip/flashlight combo. I'm not talking about a vert grip and flashlight all in one, but just a combo of products that people have tried before and really liked. Keep in mind, I'm trying to keep it lightweight.

I was suggested a tango down vert with an offset mount and a Surefire light. I liked the set up, but then I started noticing that people are really talking about this Magpul "AFG". It's new, of course a lot of people are going to go out and buy it, try it out, etc. But, is it -really- that good? I mean, is it some revolutionary piece that's going to change the way people hold their AR-15? What I'm asking is, would one suggest it for me? Considering I can't find a comfortable grip with anything else due to my long arms. If someone does suggest the AFG, could you also suggest a good light setup to use with the AFG and MOE handguards.


Thanks ahead of time.

User avatar
Civilian Scout
* * * * *
Posts: 3568
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Civilian Scout » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:50 am

IAmKalashnikov wrote:So, I've got a 16" barrel on my carbine. Carbine-length gas system, regular collapsible M4 stock, etc. My main goal is to keep the rifle as lightweight as possible yet make it the ultimate SHTF rifle for me. The problem is, I'm rather tall and have long arms, and so I seem to be having a little trouble with the shorter rifle. Even with my stock completely extended, I still feel like my support arm needs to be further along the handguards. This is what led me to trying out different types of grips. I've tried using the magwell, A2 handguards, quad rail system, quad rails with a vert grip, etc. All these different ways, I would move my hand around in different positions that I've noticed people use and try to find the most comfortable for me. So, I feel best with a vert grip, or atleast as best as I can figure out on my own.

I'm running MOE handguards on the rifle, and I'm wanting to add on a vert grip and flashlight. I'm in need of advice on a good vert grip/flashlight combo. I'm not talking about a vert grip and flashlight all in one, but just a combo of products that people have tried before and really liked. Keep in mind, I'm trying to keep it lightweight.

I was suggested a tango down vert with an offset mount and a Surefire light. I liked the set up, but then I started noticing that people are really talking about this Magpul "AFG". It's new, of course a lot of people are going to go out and buy it, try it out, etc. But, is it -really- that good? I mean, is it some revolutionary piece that's going to change the way people hold their AR-15? What I'm asking is, would one suggest it for me? Considering I can't find a comfortable grip with anything else due to my long arms. If someone does suggest the AFG, could you also suggest a good light setup to use with the AFG and MOE handguards.


Thanks ahead of time.
My thoughts on the AFG:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=56502

In short, I DO NOT like them on 7" carbine-length handguards or rails. I just don't think there's enough room to get the AFG forward enough to work properly. On a 9" or longer handguard they work great! I'll add that I'm a fairly small guy with average length arms. if you have long arms I see this being even more of a problem.

I think your best bet would be to try a longer rail that extends past the front sight base, like one of the Daniel Defense FSP models. This would allow you to grip farther forward.
"Now, let us gather our strength from the violence of the elements!" - Captain Terror

IAmKalashnikov
*
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:57 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by IAmKalashnikov » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:55 pm

Civilian Scout wrote:
IAmKalashnikov wrote:So, I've got a 16" barrel on my carbine. Carbine-length gas system, regular collapsible M4 stock, etc. My main goal is to keep the rifle as lightweight as possible yet make it the ultimate SHTF rifle for me. The problem is, I'm rather tall and have long arms, and so I seem to be having a little trouble with the shorter rifle. Even with my stock completely extended, I still feel like my support arm needs to be further along the handguards. This is what led me to trying out different types of grips. I've tried using the magwell, A2 handguards, quad rail system, quad rails with a vert grip, etc. All these different ways, I would move my hand around in different positions that I've noticed people use and try to find the most comfortable for me. So, I feel best with a vert grip, or atleast as best as I can figure out on my own.

I'm running MOE handguards on the rifle, and I'm wanting to add on a vert grip and flashlight. I'm in need of advice on a good vert grip/flashlight combo. I'm not talking about a vert grip and flashlight all in one, but just a combo of products that people have tried before and really liked. Keep in mind, I'm trying to keep it lightweight.

I was suggested a tango down vert with an offset mount and a Surefire light. I liked the set up, but then I started noticing that people are really talking about this Magpul "AFG". It's new, of course a lot of people are going to go out and buy it, try it out, etc. But, is it -really- that good? I mean, is it some revolutionary piece that's going to change the way people hold their AR-15? What I'm asking is, would one suggest it for me? Considering I can't find a comfortable grip with anything else due to my long arms. If someone does suggest the AFG, could you also suggest a good light setup to use with the AFG and MOE handguards.


Thanks ahead of time.
My thoughts on the AFG:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=56502

In short, I DO NOT like them on 7" carbine-length handguards or rails. I just don't think there's enough room to get the AFG forward enough to work properly. On a 9" or longer handguard they work great! I'll add that I'm a fairly small guy with average length arms. if you have long arms I see this being even more of a problem.

I think your best bet would be to try a longer rail that extends past the front sight base, like one of the Daniel Defense FSP models. This would allow you to grip farther forward.

That's the problem. I'm not really trying to disassemble the upper, and also I want to keep it lightweight. If I went with a DD FSp or something, I'd have to swap over to free float and do some work to my AR that I don't really want to attempt. The only gunsmith around won't touch AR-15's.Thanks for the advice, I considered the FSP but wasn't too sure about install.

User avatar
Kommander
* * * * *
Posts: 4274
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:38 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Kommander » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:09 pm

IAmKalashnikov you could get a Magpul stock and then put a butpad on it. That should give you a bit more LOP than a standard AR stock. Oh and can we make this a sticky!
Image

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

nimdabew
* * * * *
Posts: 9331
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:27 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by nimdabew » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:15 am

jamoni wrote:That's a definite possibility. So they are rails angled to match the taper of the stock handguards?
Yessir. I have a picture of the gun with the rails on a carbine around here somewhere....

ETA: Here it is. The rail si backwards in this pick I think, but with standard round handguards with the taper, it *should* be level.

Image
Thanks Anianna!
Image
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

User avatar
jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 14985
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: st louis

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by jamoni » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:05 am

Awesome. I think I WOULD like those. Drop me a PM and we'll figure out the shipping and whatnot.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

User avatar
Chris@MTCT
* * * * *
Posts: 3847
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:34 pm
Location: Spring,TX

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Chris@MTCT » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:15 am

I don't know if I missed how much you want to spend on a glass but these are awesome high quality low priced. I have the 4-14x mounted on a larue mount for my SDM set up. 1/2 MOA adjustments and a 55gr BDC. Clear crisp and beautiful just like you would expect.
http://www.leupold.com/tactical/product ... -3-9x40mm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

User avatar
jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 14985
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: st louis

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by jamoni » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:25 am

gravediggerfour wrote:I don't know if I missed how much you want to spend on a glass but these are awesome high quality low priced. I have the 4-14x mounted on a larue mount for my SDM set up. 1/2 MOA adjustments and a 55gr BDC. Clear crisp and beautiful just like you would expect.
http://www.leupold.com/tactical/product ... -3-9x40mm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image
For glass, I'm going to see how it shoots with my Bushnell, accurize as much as I can, then adjust my price accordingly. If I can make this thing a real tack driver, then I'll get the best I can.
Will definitly be looking at Leupolds.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

User avatar
Snapcat
* * *
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: SE Michigan

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Snapcat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:41 am

I like the idea of the help thread. Because I have a few simple questions that I wouldn't want to start a thead with. I'm not real familar with building an AR but I like the idea of buying it in complete halves since some companies do uppers better and some lowers better and I can also save a little money doing it this way.

I'm not really looking to mess with putting on handguards, stocks, rails and everything myself I'd rather just buy it in complete halves.

So, my question is with a limited budget where should I spend my money to get good quality on the Upper or on the Lower? So in essence which is better to have good parts.

Hoot Harrington
* * * * *
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:27 am

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Hoot Harrington » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:15 pm

Snapcat wrote:
So, my question is with a limited budget where should I spend my money to get good quality on the Upper

BCM is the general consensus it would seem.
Image

Maxfield
*
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:29 am

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Maxfield » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:58 pm

...
Last edited by Maxfield on Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
"One should either write ruthlessly what one believes to be the truth, or else shut up." - Arthur Koestler

User avatar
throwback
* * * * *
Posts: 1077
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:54 pm
Location: Someplace new
Contact:

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by throwback » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:20 pm

As long as I'm already signed in for the day, and this thread is here....
What are everyones thoughts on lower parts kits? Are there any significant differences in quality from one company to another, or will I be getting the same basic setup from everyone selling?
Disclaimer: *Throwbacks opinions are just his opinions. They are based on the best facts he has to hand, and sometimes in spite of them. It is possible for two intelligent people to disagree, and sometimes both of them are right.*
Image

Big Dale
*
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Northeast Ohio

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Big Dale » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:14 pm

what are some good websites that I can find parts?
Should I get a stripped lower? Or can I get a complete lower? If the first are there different types that are better?

Also, I found a lower with the bolt carrier group, etc...in the description it said the bolt was auto...does that mean it fires full auto?

Post Reply

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”