Your Personal 3-Gun Match Tools?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dukenobles

Your Personal 3-Gun Match Tools?

Post by dukenobles » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:30 pm

Thought about making up a small scenario match for me and some friends. Was going to set it up along a 300 yd path with steel and paper targets. I was going to let all my gun buddies come out and we were gonna try a friendly competition.

THE SCENARIO
Lets say a PAW event has happened and you've been holed up in your fall back location for the last couple of months. We won't go into what type of cataclysmic event has recently befallen humanity, but its environmentally safe to walk around in regular clothing and you've been lucky enough to prepare well. You've got all the weapons, food, and equipment you will need to hold out for a very long time. However, after much looking around, you just can't seem to find any AAA batteries to power your MP3 player. You know there is an abandoned gas station a few miles away that will probably have tons of fresh, packaged AAA batteries. .. and beer. LOTS OF BEER. You've been thinking about it for days and you have decided to go to that gas station. Its not too far away, but there is a good chance you will run into "zombies". The path to the area goes through dense brush, forest, pasture, and even swampy wetlands. There is no telling where and when you might encounter a "zombie". A variety of weapons would be best to carry. Three firearms seem appropriate. Now,.. what guns should you choose?

Now,.. I was just curious what you, the forum members would carry? Lets say you were competing in this three gun competition TODAY. Which three of your guns would you carry?

ONLY THREE. A pistol, a shotgun, and a rifle. No more. Ranges differ from 10 to 100 yards.

Choose items you own only! No DREAM weapons! If you don't own it or have it in transit to you at time of reading this, do not include it.

We wont go into melee weapons or other forms of weaponry. This is a question posed to everybody based on the 3-Gun match concept. Also, lets not get bogged down with accessories. If it isn't mounted on your firearms, its not a part of the 3-gun set up. We wont worry about ammo supply or number of magazines you are carrying, lets just assume you're carrying enough to handle the job in an appropriate knapsack you are carrying.

My choices:

Pistol:
Kimber Grand Raptor 1911
Loaded with 230 Grain FMJ 45ACP
10 round Chip McCormick magazines.

Shotgun:
Remington 870 Synthetic.
20 inch smooth bore barrel with iron sights. Surefire Fore end, 7 shot magazine extension, 6 shot side saddle shell carrier, and shotgun sling that holds 12 extra rounds. 6 rounds on stock sleeve.
I usually keep it loaded with 26 rounds of 00 buck and keep 6 slug rounds on the stock sleeve.

Rifle
Remington 742 Woodsmaster
30-06
Flip over 4x scope.
10 round aftermarket magazine
Last edited by dukenobles on Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageGood? Image Evil? Image I'm the guy with the gunz. Image

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Re: Your Personal 3-Gun Match Tools?

Post by Hoppy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:31 pm

AR15
P220
Mossy 590

already have all 3.
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

USMCSergeant

Post by USMCSergeant » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:38 pm

LMT AR15..55 grain FMJ, VTAC 2 point sling
Glock 30 ...230 grain JHP
Mossberg 590 with ghost ring sights. Loaded with 00 buck and slugs on the side saddle, homemade 1 point sling

Also really good idea and great scenario IMO, I'd ruck it a few blocks for some batteries and a few beers myself..IF these were slow zombies, fast zombies..uh I buy you fly?? :lol:
Last edited by USMCSergeant on Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MrPredictable
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later

Post by MrPredictable » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:40 pm

10 to 100 yards, I'm sorry but I don't need 3 guns for that, my m14 will do just fine. If any buildings are involved I might grab the 12 gauge defender for close up work.
Green wire FTW

Mr. Warren Peace
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later.. 28 weeks later,

Post by Mr. Warren Peace » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:41 pm

these two: m1 carbine and ruger charger .22lr

"Riddle me this. Riddle me that. Who is afraid of the big black bat?"

doubleohseven

Post by doubleohseven » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:54 pm

AR-15 Of awesomness.
Mossberg 500 Suader (6shot 18.5 model)
Springfield 1911 Loaded. (Fear the full length guide rod)

On this particular competition I would probably remove the standard stock off the mossberg and replace it with an ATI top folder I keep in my closet.

USMCSergeant

Post by USMCSergeant » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:56 pm

MrPredictable wrote:10 to 100 yards, I'm sorry but I don't need 3 guns for that, my m14 will do just fine. If any buildings are involved I might grab the 12 gauge defender for close up work.
Yeah theres a building involved, the gas station. So are you bringing your shotgun? Are you sure you don't need a pistol as a last resort weapon?..It's only a pound extra weight, if that.

MrPredictable
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later

Post by MrPredictable » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:13 pm

USMCSergeant wrote:
MrPredictable wrote:10 to 100 yards, I'm sorry but I don't need 3 guns for that, my m14 will do just fine. If any buildings are involved I might grab the 12 gauge defender for close up work.
Yeah theres a building involved, the gas station. So are you bringing your shotgun? Are you sure you don't need a pistol as a last resort weapon?..It's only a pound extra weight, if that.
Strong argument. If I had a pistol I suppose I might bring it and ditch the shotgun, bringing 3 guns on a supply run just seems like overkill and will reduce the amount you can bring back.
Green wire FTW

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:16 pm

So I'll somewhat defeat the purpose of this thread by not masturbating over three firearms.

Unless I'm attacked by a flock of ducks, there's nothing I need a shotgun for. I use them in 3 gun because they make me.
ImageImage

dukenobles

Post by dukenobles » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:35 pm

i can do the same with my 870 if I HAD to, but thats a moot point because the entire scenario is based on a 3 gun match. I wouldnt' want anything but my 870 and my kimbers ,but the game is based on 3 gun. and for all we know, there are zombie geese. :p
Last edited by dukenobles on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageGood? Image Evil? Image I'm the guy with the gunz. Image

USMCSergeant

Post by USMCSergeant » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:36 pm

MrPredictable wrote:
USMCSergeant wrote:
Strong argument. If I had a pistol I suppose I might bring it and ditch the shotgun, bringing 3 guns on a supply run just seems like overkill and will reduce the amount you can bring back.
You're probably right, only going a couple of blocks an extra weapon would likely just slow your progress and be cumbersome to carry. In an ideal situation I would bring additional people, have everyone carry some type of long arm, be it rifle-shotgun-etc, and a pistol. Good points! I still like the OP's scenario and think it will provide some great training.

rburch

Post by rburch » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:44 pm

I also think 3 guns for a beer run is a bit much.

I'd take my Armalite AR-180b, & my CZ-75b. (My Mossberg 500, would do for the shotgun if I have to have one)

The Rifle for most things, but be nice to have a 1 handed option while in the store. That way can load with one hand and have the pistol in the other.

Then again, beer is heavy. So I also favor the small group of 3-5 people. Clear the store, and one loads the supplies into the packs on the other's backs while they stay on watch. Then have more beer when you get back. Plus you can divide your crew into 2 groups, and Group a gets 1/2 the beer to drink on first night, while group b is on guard. And the next night other way around.

That way you're not all drunk if you get attacked.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

misanthropist

Post by misanthropist » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:20 pm

Jvandenhaus wrote:So I'll somewhat defeat the purpose of this thread by not masturbating over three firearms.

Unless I'm attacked by a flock of ducks, there's nothing I need a shotgun for. I use them in 3 gun because they make me.
This goes for me as well...rifle and sidearm, what is the shotgun for?
DocGKR wrote:.45 ACP is much easier to stop with armor than the smaller, faster 9 mm. On the other hand, the larger mass of .45 ACP allows it to do much better against windshields than 9 mm. What is optimal all depends on your likely engagement scenarios.

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Let's just say I have never seen one I didn't like!

Post by Absintheur » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:26 am

okay....

Handgun: Strayer Voight from Briley, 38 Super, 27 round standard 170mm mags (I have 12) I would pull the optics and reinstall the irons...take me about 20 minutes...

Shotgun: Remington 1100, ten shot extension, 26" Hastings Wad-lock straight rifled barrel, SpeedFeed stock...

Rifle: Suppressed AR platform in 300 Whisper, uses standard AR mags and BCG, shoots MOA to 400 yeads, very quiet and with a 200 grain Sierra Matchking it hits very hard. This rifle also has a set trigger that really aids in long range accuracy. Just in case the zombie are attracted by sound...

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -- J.R.R.Tolkien

wrxty
Favorite Zombie Movies: any Romero movie, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead

Post by wrxty » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:22 am

Beretta 92fs
Maverick 88 8 shot
Mosin 91/30 Scout Rifle-that way I could provide sniper support...lol

tarafore

Post by tarafore » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:34 am

AR15
G23
Mossberg 590 (or 500 - it's the 20" barrel with the 7 shot factory tube)
...which will be left at home, because there's nothing in this scenario the AR and Glock can't handle.

With the extra weight saved by leaving the Mossy at home, I will bring MONEY. After all, the gas station is still open, right?

Looting is illegal, and we don't discuss illegal activities here, right? :)

k2enemy84
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, the usual

Post by k2enemy84 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:10 am

Well, given a situation where the shop owner had time to lock up, you might need a scatter gun to bust a lock (if you don't have bolt cutters). We have some gas stations in town that have burglar bars they pull down over the windows and have a padlocked gate over the front door.

So... My M16A4 clone, XD .45, and 870 with various loads I might consider making the masterkey conversion on my A4 if need be and I had the tools and resources to do so.

I would also bring $$$ to pay the nice non-zombie clerk
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."
-General Mattis to Iraqi tribal leaders

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:52 am

dukenobles wrote:Now,.. I was just curious what you, the forum members would carry? Lets say you were competing in this three gun competition TODAY. Which three of your guns would you carry?

ONLY THREE. A pistol, a shotgun, and a rifle. No more. Ranges differ from 10 to 100 yards.

Choose items you own only! No DREAM weapons! If you don't own it or have it in transit to you at time of reading this, do not include it.
That sounds like a pretty fun scenario. I don't think I'd worry too much about taking a shotgun (I would probably leave it back with my wife), but to play along, here are the 3 guns I'd take:

Pistol: EAA Witness (.45acp)
Shotgun: Maverick 88 (12 gauge)
Rifle: WASR-10

Pistol and shotgun were easy choices--they're the only ones I have. :lol:
I chose the WASR over my AR, because my wife does better with it than the WASR, and I want to make sure she's good to go before I run off looking for batteries.

Dang it! Now I need to find a good wifle, so I can keep my AR! :lol:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:00 pm

k2enemy84 wrote:I would also bring $$$ to pay the nice non-zombie clerk
:lol: Good call. Depending on how long into the ZPAW, it might also be a good idea to bring something to barter with.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:24 pm

rburch wrote:I also think 3 guns for a beer run is a bit much...
Statements like THIS will get you kicked out of the ZS firearms forum, mister! Besides, it kinda depends on which part of Detroit you live in...
rburch wrote:Then again, beer is heavy. So I also favor the small group of 3-5 people. Clear the store, and one loads the supplies into the packs on the other's backs while they stay on watch. Then have more beer when you get back. Plus you can divide your crew into 2 groups, and Group a gets 1/2 the beer to drink on first night, while group b is on guard. And the next night other way around. That way you're not all drunk if you get attacked.
Rock solid tactics for a ZPAW beer run. This should be stickied :lol:

Outstanding contribution, rburch!
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Let's just say I have never seen one I didn't like!

Post by Absintheur » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:41 pm

Actually I thought all you needed for a beer run was a ten and five, a set of keys and sober driver....lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyCPhIjmk-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -- J.R.R.Tolkien

rburch

Post by rburch » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:50 pm

DannusMaximus wrote:
rburch wrote:I also think 3 guns for a beer run is a bit much...
Statements like THIS will get you kicked out of the ZS firearms forum, mister! Besides, it kinda depends on which part of Detroit you live in...
rburch wrote:Then again, beer is heavy. So I also favor the small group of 3-5 people. Clear the store, and one loads the supplies into the packs on the other's backs while they stay on watch. Then have more beer when you get back. Plus you can divide your crew into 2 groups, and Group a gets 1/2 the beer to drink on first night, while group b is on guard. And the next night other way around. That way you're not all drunk if you get attacked.
Rock solid tactics for a ZPAW beer run. This should be stickied :lol:

Outstanding contribution, rburch!
Sad part is I'm not much of a drinker, so I'd plan this whole thing and get maybe 1-2 beers out of it. Still the tactics would be sound for pretty much any supply run you had to make.

Obviously the larger the building you're "Shopping in" the larger your group needs to be to secure the site, but if we take this much further down this path we've really run off topic, so...
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

AmnJoker333
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead

Post by AmnJoker333 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:30 pm

My AR-15 (LMT upper on a Bushmaster lower) with Aimpoint Comp M3, loaded with my home-rolled 69 grain SMK's.

Glock 19 with 124 grain +p gold dots.

Maverick 88 18.5" bbl with a combination of Brenneke slugs and 00 buck.
AR-15/Glock/.45 vs 9mm neutral/pie

Luminary703

Post by Luminary703 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

I only own 3 guns so the guns that I own :oops: .

Rifle: Romanian WASR10 w/ VTac 2pt Sling

Sidearm: Glock 19

Shotgun: Remington 870 Marine Magnum (this will be arriving soon!)
Guns:
Romanian WASR 10
Glock 19
Remington 870 Marine Magnum
Ruger Blackhawk in .357mag / 9mm
Norinco SKS

Knives:
ESEE Junglas
ESEE-6
Spyderco Paramilitary 2
Cold Steel SRK (Carbon V)
Cold Steel Trail Master (Carbon V)