Springfield M1a?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sgt.Blakely

Springfield M1a?

Post by Sgt.Blakely » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:04 pm

I'm thinking of buying a M1a cause I'm a huge m14 fan and I was wondering what you guys think?

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:20 pm

They're undoubtedly great rifles, no arguing there.

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:26 pm

I love my baby..... good choice.

Last edited by randomusername on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

turan8

Post by turan8 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:32 pm

To me, they're great rifles, but too expensive.

You can get an Ar-10 that is cheaper and more accurate.
Local AK expert at your beck and call for all PAW consulting services pertaining to Mr. Kalishinakov's marvelous creation.

SMERSH

Post by SMERSH » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:33 pm

they are fucking solid, go for it
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

-Douglas Adams

kbi
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOD 2004 , Land of the dead , The resident evil movie's

Post by kbi » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:35 am

Get a Springfield MA9106 which is a decent rifle.

Synthetic stock
22" bbl
Their base model which is a all around great semi 308.

Maj.Exec

Post by Maj.Exec » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:44 am

And dear god if it's at all possible, pick up the SOCOM 2. I had a previous version, as damn, was it a rifle!

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod- ... m-ii.shtml

They're coming to get you Barbara...

Donny_Cash

Post by Donny_Cash » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:55 am

I would love to get one, but price is an issue. If a genie gave me three wishes; first wish, M1a. Second wish, a bunch of magazines. Third wish, a ton of ammo. :D
RIP hk33k

Domino

Post by Domino » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:10 am

An M1A is an absolutely excellent choice. If you want it for general use than I would personally get the 20" barreled one, if its for use as a main rifle and urban enviorments, the SOCOM is a really good choice. Either one would most certainly do the job, its mainly personal preference.

mattman42

Post by mattman42 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:45 am

I wish I could afford one. I've never fired one but I'm mysteriously drawn to them...

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:49 am

Like Ferris Buellr said:

"They are so choice. If you have the means, I do suggest you pick one up."

I have an M-1 Garand, which is a classic and I would not trade for anything. The M-14/M-1a was based on the Garand.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

*Mike*

Post by *Mike* » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:03 pm

Haven't shot one, but from what I read at Springfield Armory and a few other sites, it looks to be very good. The only thing that gets me is the price.

mr. right-wing

Post by mr. right-wing » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:05 pm

I have the original Socom 16 and after an original problem of the muzzle coming loose, it worked like a charm. Anywho, if you got one, you'd have to put a scope on it, the sights arent set up for ranges over like 50 yards.

unodiablo

Post by unodiablo » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:31 pm

Hi, I'm a new poster here... Cool-as-funk-site.

I'm looking at buying a SF M1A, and noticed the thread. Is this a good deer hunting rifle in addition to being a good SHTF weapon? I've used a semi-auto .308 winch for deer hunting for 15+ years now, but I'm looking into buying a rifle of my own (been borrowing Dad's since I was 15). Is the springfield M1A a "rifle for a lifetime", i.e. high quality, durable, 1" accurate @ 100 yds w/ a decent scope, even with the shorter barrel?

Thanks!!!

JARHEAD0811

Re:

Post by JARHEAD0811 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:27 pm

I have a (SA) Springfield Armory M1A (loaded). It is an awsome rifle and turns eyes at the range, full of positive comments from me, it is deadly accurate, I'll always have it. I bought the 'Loaded' model because it had extras, the National match barrel is very nice and accurate. I figured if the GI's used the Garand in urban areas the M1A at the same general size will work today if SHTF. The 308 can cover almost every situation and will work for hunting your deer. I'm thinking of a reflex scope for it later on. I am sure the shorter barrel version would work out for your needs. I was trained in boot camp to hit targets out to 500 meters and the rifle will be as good as you are. Ask about the (NM) national match barrel when you decide to buy it.
unodiablo wrote:Hi, I'm a new poster here... Cool-as-funk-site.

I'm looking at buying a SF M1A, and noticed the thread. Is this a good deer hunting rifle in addition to being a good SHTF weapon? I've used a semi-auto .308 winch for deer hunting for 15+ years now, but I'm looking into buying a rifle of my own (been borrowing Dad's since I was 15). Is the springfield M1A a "rifle for a lifetime", i.e. high quality, durable, 1" accurate @ 100 yds w/ a decent scope, even with the shorter barrel?

Thanks!!!

Arkane

Re: Springfield M1a?

Post by Arkane » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Buy it - it's a good dependable and accurate rifle that's going to serve you well and retain it's value over time. Mags can be found for under $10 a pop and spare parts are plentiful.

MisterAnderson

Post by MisterAnderson » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:53 pm

Sgt.Blakely wrote:I'm thinking of buying a M1a cause I'm a huge m14 fan and I was wondering what you guys think?
Just to have and shoot? Buy it. I have a SA Loaded w/ additional work done to it that I bought after dorking around with a FAL for year. The FAL is plenty accurate, I just couldn't get it to fit me well. For me, the M1A fits me nearly perfectly, and I can shoot surplus ammo well with 4MOA from field positions using irons out to 400m.

1) It's heavy(ier) (than other options). I've pulled some FTXs with it, at the end of it, it felt less like a Barbie and more like a Large Marge.
2) It's accurate. From a ballistic standpoint, you will be good out to 500m with decent performance out to 800m-ish.
3) Since it's .308/7.62x51, its built around a good cartridge that allows you to hunt most larg(er) game and with surplus ammo at $0.40/rd or so, its not (that much) more expensive than 5.56.

Before jumping right into one, I'd highly recommend asking around and seeing if you can get one to shoot before you commit. Shop around and you can land a nice deal. If you want to be the cool kid and think it's worth the shekels, go get an LRB. :)

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:37 pm

I own two experimental builds done by LRB before they became a household name in the M1A market. First was an all H+R parts set on an Armscorp receiver, the other a mixed parts set with a SA NM barrel. Either will make 2.0 MOA with good ammo. I may have mentioned what I paid for the pair but you'd tear your hair out if you knew.

The only thing I would trade them for would be a current LRB build, such as an M25.

Short answer, yes, buy one.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

JARHEAD0811

Post by JARHEAD0811 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:48 pm

Once you get one, you will hear many comments about Springfield Armory that, they aren't the original company and was restarted by another family. See my link. I learned this all after I purchased mine. If you ask if I care, I'll tell you no. SA makes some great rifles (and pistols) and the SA customer service is great! The recievers are cast but they are good quality. Some folks want forged recievers, mostly old schoolers. I fall into that catagory but I love my SA Loaded, it's a quality battle rifle. I am real happy with mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Armory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

M14fan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Walking Dead

Post by M14fan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:35 pm

LOVE mine. Won't go the Socom route though, too short. The standard size and scout squat have everything in common but the barrel length. The Socom has shortened op-rod and probably some other differences of which I am unaware. Love the Standard, Scout Squad, and Super-Match. Hard to go wrong with SA though there are other quality manufacturers out there.
"It's not always being fast or even accurate that counts. It's being willing.
I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing.
They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger...And I won't." John Wayne in 'The Shootist'

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:27 am

Here's a related thread. My opinion on new springfelds was already stated in it, so I won't repeat myself. http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... pringfield" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

phenris

Post by phenris » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:37 pm

I've had a Springfield M1A since 1993. It is the finest rifle I own. I don't know if the receiver is cast or forged. I don't care, either. The only failure to feed that I had involved some weird Chinese ammo that fired really dirty. The only mods I have on this rifle are a nylon recoil buffer and a sling.

specops

Post by specops » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:51 pm

What do you guys think about getting an m1a to use as a long range rifle, hunting, and combat rifle? What model would be the best to say hit a torso at 1000yards, and be able to maneuver inside a building? I'd be using a mark 4 and trijicon red dot on top the scope. Also do you guys know of a nice folding stock for the m14 say under $500? I'd just use this as a bug out rifle(like drop everything and take one rifle, and pistol(my glock 19 and some 33rd mags)).

JARHEAD0811

Post by JARHEAD0811 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:38 pm

I'm not sure of the quality of this company or stock is. You might want to research on The Firing Line forums. My own opinion is, the GI's used the garand in all situations, urban or open terrain successfully. I will be counting on my M1A to do the same. 308 covers everything, it'll make the undead deader.

http://www.cmmanufacturing.com/m4foldingstock.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
specops wrote:What do you guys think about getting an m1a to use as a long range rifle, hunting, and combat rifle? What model would be the best to say hit a torso at 1000yards, and be able to maneuver inside a building? I'd be using a mark 4 and trijicon red dot on top the scope. Also do you guys know of a nice folding stock for the m14 say under $500? I'd just use this as a bug out rifle(like drop everything and take one rifle, and pistol(my glock 19 and some 33rd mags)).

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”