AK gas piston question.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Rush2112

AK gas piston question.

Post by Rush2112 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:59 am

I disassembled my WASR today out of curiosity to see how it was standing up after a little over a thousand rounds and no cleaning. As I pulled out the gas piston, I noted that instead of pulling straight out, it traveled to the right so that there was a gap between the piston rod and the tube on the left side. Is it supposed to do that? I checked the tube, it doesn't look canted.

Thoughts?
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

zombie_mike

Post by zombie_mike » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:00 pm

Just keep in mind that a WASR/Romanian AK is at the bottom of the AK family as far as quality/quality control. Check the tube and the piston to make sure there is no bending/warping/loss of strength and make sure the piston pin is still there (there should be no/little play between the gas pistion and the bolt carrier)...but if it is still working and there is no grinding between the gas piston and the tube, then I really wouldn't worry about it.

I'm at work, but IIRC, the gas piston doesn't fit perfectly in the tube, so there will be room to play.

I don't know a ton, but I don't think it will cause any serious problems.

Of course, you could always get it checked out by a GS.

PM DavePal or Obiwan as their knowledge is about topps on this forum.

Good Luck
June 26th, 2008---The Day Gun Prohibition Died!
crypto wrote:
rodka wrote: It feels like an orgasm in the hand
So, uh, do you mean it's all sticky, or what?
I prefer pistols that dont feel like they're jizzing on me, thanks.

Obiwan
BANNED

Post by Obiwan » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:11 pm

There are some ribs in the forward portion of the gas tube that the end of the piston rides in. I imagine that you just saw the piston "slip" as it pulled back beyond those ribs into the larger portion of the tube..no problem.....no worries

Or my visualization-fu is just too weak

Or I am too stupid

Both are likely :D

Perhaps you should send it to me to be disposed of
"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." (LtCOL. Jeff Cooper U.S.M.C.)

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:53 pm

its a WASR, hell its an AK. it will work fine. and if it stops working kick it back in. and it will probably start working again :lol:
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:08 pm

If you see any part on an AK that isnt fitting tightly that means there's not enough sand in it. Heavily lubricate the part in question and roll it around in sand, then re-insert. You'll then find the tolerances are correct.

Problem Solved!
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:23 pm

crypto wrote:If you see any part on an AK that isnt fitting tightly that means there's not enough sand in it. Heavily lubricate the part in question and roll it around in sand, then re-insert. You'll then find the tolerances are correct.

Problem Solved!
exactly! :D
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:07 pm

I know it's an AK and there's supposed to be loose tolerances...but damn. My AK is looser than Paris Hilton....

I guess I just don't want a gas piston embedded in my forehead or something.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

Big A

Post by Big A » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Sometimes you guys crack me up.

Thanks for the laugh, I needed it! :lol:
"All I want from you is a little civility, and that
of the commonest goddamnest kind."

Tyler Durden

Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:22 pm

Dude, it's supposed to do that. I've built over a dozen AK's and have helped friends build twice that many. The majority of military AK's have slop in the gas piston. I believe it's part of the design. Either way, it does not hinder reliability.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:04 pm

AK's have incredibly loose tolerances. The piston isn't supposed to be tight and fixed, it's supposed to be loose and have a bit of slop.

No worries.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Scott Skawronska
Favorite Zombie Movies: That one with that guy, and he does that thing, and then they all get eaten! Which one was that?

Post by Scott Skawronska » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:57 pm

If you see any part on an AK that isnt fitting tightly that means there's not enough sand in it. Heavily lubricate the part in question and roll it around in sand, then re-insert. You'll then find the tolerances are correct.

Problem Solved!
I both laughed and was frightened at the accuracy of that statement.

Mikhail Kalashnikov himself said that he designed the rifle to have the maximum tolerances he could possibly make and still have the rifle function. "The parts are just supposed to hang in there," he said.

I kid you not.

The term "Sloppy AK" is a bit like "Bureaucratic Inefficiency".

It's redundant.

Thing is, it works.

Mine did. One of my greatest regrets was selling it.

S
"It burns me up when elitists try to force us into a situation where we must either beg for a totalitarian police state or submit to the desires of the antisocial."

Zombies? Yeah, they're good eatin', but ya gotta have hot sauce, and remember, they regenerate, so if you eat enough, you'll never be hungry again!

drobs
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by drobs » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:33 am

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Regards,

Image Image Image

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”