SKS Specific C&R Philosophy Question

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Which SKS should nfa buy

"New" - $239
40%
"Excellent" - $199
23%
"Good to Very Good" - $139
37%

Total votes: 30

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

SKS Specific C&R Philosophy Question

Post by Jamie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:09 am

I got my C&R a while ago, and was waiting to see how the tax season turned out before making my first C&R decision and purchase, and now that it's over (and went well :P ) I'm ready to have my new firearm delivered to my door...

The question is...given that it's a surplus rifle to begin with, do I buy one in "New" condition for $239, one in "Excellent" condition for $199, or one in "Good to Very Good" condition for $139?

I can afford any of the 3, that's not the point, but who likes to spend more than they have to...my question to those in the know is whether or not it is worth it to spend an extra $100 for a "New" SKS as opposed to one rated "Good to Very Good"...or do you go for the one in the middle?

Part of me is tempted to spring for the best one out there, but another part of me argues right back that since this is a surplus rifle already and isn't supposed to be a tack-driver, I should just buy the cheap one and live with some wear...

Please explain your answer/opinion...

Thanks,

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

wester

Post by wester » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:12 am

Voted G/VG. That way you can buy two! :shock: :D

I've yet to see a 59/66 on the market that I wouldn't want.

Obiwan
BANNED

Post by Obiwan » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:14 am

Simple answer is

Buy Mine

Do I need to explain that?????

"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." (LtCOL. Jeff Cooper U.S.M.C.)

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:59 am

If you plan on making this a collector's item and never firing it, buy the new one. This isn't something I'd do, but some people are into it. There's little point, IMHO, in buying a "new" gun and then depriciating its value by 20-30% the first time you pull the trigger.

For a shooter, I'd tend towards the cheaper, but I'd want to examine it first. Check the bore and action parts for rust or pitting. Usually they're fine.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:10 am

Thanks for the post Jeriah...

I am interested in buying it for shooting, not for collecting...

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:41 am

I also am a C&R, my suggestion: Buy the cheapest grade available. There really isn't anything "collectible" about an SKS, it's a workhorse firearm. As long as it is intact and functional I doubt you'll notice the difference, and certainly not to the tune of and extra $100. That money would better suit you spent on ammo or accessories.

If you plan on tricking it out, which I don't recommend, and not because it's "defiling a great piece of history" because it's a cheap ass surplus rifle, there are millions like it so you aren't robbing the world of a treasure; but because the SKS is really fine out of the box. That was part of the whole point of the SKS (and lots of other surplus firearms). In my opinion, the only accessories needed are a sling, cleaning kit, lots of strippers and something to carry them in.

Given how cheap they are (I got my Yugo as a gift from my boss, but they were $80.00 at the time), and how old it is, I often overlook mine when choosing what to take to the range, compared to the Armalites, AK, FALS and all that lot. It took my wife, who adopted my SKS as her favourite rifle, to remind me what a pleasure it is to shoot.

Ta
ImageImage

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:42 am

Hey Obiwan,

Wat do you want for it? I've been thinking of getting one as a trunk rifle.
ImageImage

maetsack

Post by maetsack » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:09 pm

Assuming the difference between the 3 is cosmetic and not functional, get the least expensive one and get two.

Who cares what it looks like anyway :D

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:47 pm

i got a "New" yugo and it sure is pretty. essentialy you have to ask yourself how much you want to spend. the differance between the condition is a matter of individual rifles. i say go "excellent " or "New"
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Grin Reaper

Post by Grin Reaper » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:00 pm

Jvandenhaus wrote:There really isn't anything "collectible" about an SKS, it's a workhorse firearm.
True dat.
The question is...given that it's a surplus rifle to begin with, do I buy one in "New" condition for $239, one in "Excellent" condition for $199, or one in "Good to Very Good" condition for $139?
Depends on who's doing the grading. Some dealers are very optimistic when it comes to grading C&R firearms; some (Classic Arms, for instance) are quite realistic and fair in grading.

If you're buying FTF, not an issue. If you're ordering from a website, I'd stick with dealers like Classic Arms or Southern Ohio Gun.

wildbill
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead(remake)

Post by wildbill » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:13 pm

wester wrote:Voted G/VG. That way you can buy two! :shock: :D

I've yet to see a 59/66 on the market that I wouldn't want.
thats what i would do

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:11 pm

I would vote for new all things being = however not all SKS's are the same. I like my USSR hardwood better than my China SKS.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Toad704D
Favorite Zombie Movies: Ugh. I do the movies for Zcon every year. It changes so often.

Post by Toad704D » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:20 pm

I'd go with the "NEW" SKS if you don't mind paying the $$$ for it. Less wear on the parts, mainly. I bought one a couple of months ago, and I love it. Cost me about 250$. Haven't had a problem with it. Plus a bayonet is cool. Gets me a lot of looks and questions at the range. Stripper clips are a bit of a pain, but way cheaper than mags and no big deal if they get messed up or lost. I can fit 7 fully loaded clips (10 rds. each) in a standard A.L.I.C.E. M16 ammo pouch without any crowding. Very efficient.
ZSC-001 Chapter Secretary
ZCon Entertainment coordinator
ZCon On-Site security
I survived Zombie Con 2007, and 2008
I survived Wintergheddon 2009
I survived Zombie Con 2009, I won the pistol match too! 8)
I survived Zombie Con '10,'11,'12,'13 (I'm kind of a badass.)

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:28 pm

Since you say you can afford it , seeing that it is your first , I say get the pretty one... :D

Of course , you must also buy a sling and a case of ammo.
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

mantis

Post by mantis » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:46 pm

I'd say split the difference and get an "excellent condition" rifle. Which nationality are these rifles? Chinese? Russian? Yugo? I own a Chinese SKS that I paid $149 for and it was basically "like new" with all matching serial numbers, an excellent chrome bore, acceptable sights and unblemished furniture. Russian or Yugo made rifles will usually sell for $20 - $40 more but I've never seen one anywhere selling for more than $199 (Canadian$ - not that there's much difference these days).
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

zombie_mike

Post by zombie_mike » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:13 pm

Get the cheapest one you can, bc the action will be, most likely, just fine.

I find that restoring the stock is a fun exercise anyway.

:)
June 26th, 2008---The Day Gun Prohibition Died!
crypto wrote:
rodka wrote: It feels like an orgasm in the hand
So, uh, do you mean it's all sticky, or what?
I prefer pistols that dont feel like they're jizzing on me, thanks.

Trioxin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Trioxin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:32 pm

If you are talking about J&G, the $139 are sold out. All they have left are the $199 and the $229.
You Are Not Free.
FYI: the 7.4 trillion dollars used to bail out Wall Street could give $23,000 to EVERY man, woman, and child in the US.
Slowly moving toward my 666th post. YEAH!!

ZScott

Post by ZScott » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:48 pm

Get the new one. I did and have not regretted it. I also have a used shooter sks. But I you get the new one. It will be yours and not a hand me down. Plus it looks cool. Everyone has a beat up sks, some are better then others. But nothing draws looks like a mint sks. :shock: :D :wink:
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.
Just Trying to Pass on some Wisdom.
Anyone who thinks any sort of PAW will be glamorous, fun, or exciting... has dramatic reality issues.

karlsgunbunker

Post by karlsgunbunker » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:47 am

First Don't buy a Yugo.
To much extra junk, unless you have a supply of NATO rifle grenades.

Check the SKS Boards, Gunbroker, Auction Arms, or Local Pawn Shops.
Look for a Russian or Chinese, these have chromed chambers and bores, the yugo's don't. Not to mention the Gas Valve, trouble in the making.

If possible get a Norinco D or M model, they use AK mags.

NRA grade "Good" = Beat to hell.
Never buy less than VG preferably Excellent

F.Y.I. I have owned six different SKS's
1 - yugo 59/66
2 - yugo 59
1 - Norinco
2 - Albanians.

Mosin-Nagants, Mausers, Enfields, Tokarevs, Nagant 1895, all better buys than the Yugo's.
KGB 01FFL - $20 transfers in the Indianapolis area
http://www.hoosiergunclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

awe4fire
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by awe4fire » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:56 pm

well i bought a good to very good for $79 a couple of years back.

Sol Invictus

New...

Post by Sol Invictus » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:06 pm

I purchased a brand new one four years ago. It looked as if it was only test fired and took a couple of hours to clean the cosmoline out of the barrel, stock, and action.
The Yugo SKS feels and shoots like a FN-49. It's completely unlike the Chinese, Albanian, or Russian models because it's ergonomics and size are more like a main battle rifle than a carbine. For the record, the little rifle is a tack driver and shoots better than any of the Chinese SKS carbines I've owned. The grenade launcher acts as a muzzle brake/compensator and the rifle has negligible recoil.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”